Chapter 2: A Magic School?
234 0 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I get to the mountain and can't help but see a castle looming over the horizon. I don't know why I've never noticed it when I was younger. I mean, it must have something to do with the letter, since I saw weird things all the time.  Must have something to do with magic. Trailing up the mountain path, I see another kid, looking to be around my age. I rush over to talk to him. 

"Hey!" I wave trying to get his attention. "Where is this?" 

"Uh, Mount Greylock? What are you doing here?" 

"That castle in the distance, is it Ilvermorny?" 

"Oh, you aren't a no-maj, yeah it is. Are you a first year like me?" He then turns and asks me. 

"I think? What's a No-Maj?" The boy looks astonished.

"You don't know what No-Maj is? Ah! Are you the first generation of magical's in your family? Where are your parents?" 

I feel stunned with the many fast fired questions. "I don't have parents! I just got a letter to come here! I don't even know where here is!" 

"I'm sorry. You must be one of the unknown magical orphans. Those rarely make it here in the first place. I'm Tom Graves." The boy, Tom, stretches out his hand. I shake it hesitantly, not sure if I want to be acquainted with this fast-talking fool.

"Can you please tell me what Ilvermorny is?" 

"It's as school. One of the best ones in the world! I've been so excited for my letter I came early, and now I'm waiting for the others to get here so we can finally get to sorting and-" I cut him off. 

"A school? Of what? Why is it so far away and on a mountain? What's an 'Unknown Magical Orphan'?" I interrupted, firing off questions of my own.

"Oh, It's a magic school. Teaches you magic, duh. It's on a mountain to hide from the No-Maj, since magic is pretty persecuted against. Don't you know the witch trials? They were looking for us but didn't get us. Our ancestors were pretty well hidden. My family has been in America for a long time, but I don't have a lot of close family, but they brag about Ilvermorny all the time-" I let Tom ramble on.

I suppose this was my guardians original plan, for me to live near Ilvermorny until I was old enough to go. My life got more complicated once magic got involved. How was this school supposed to help me? Ok, Magic is cool, and learning to use it better would also be nice. Plus, maybe I can go find my Guardian or Family using it? It's worth a shot. Better ask Tom some questions. 

"And then my brother joined a band, and my father was so disappointed in him and wanted him to join the MACUSA with him since it was family tradition, so-"

"How long is the school." I ask, freeing him from his word tornado. 

"Seven years, this is the first year where we can choose our houses, I hope to get into the Wampus house, or it at least gets suggested to me, my brother got into the Thunderbird house, and My father said that-" Tom continued to ramble, I wasn't really paying attention to his spiel.

I did notice he accentuated the names of the houses, but he also did when he talked about his family, which meant he thought they were important. A group of people, aka kids my age, led by an older looking adult headed in our direction so I can assume me and Tom aren't the only students coming to this school. I don't know why I didn't get a more specific time to get here, but I seem to be right on time?

"Ah, right on time." The group assembles near us and soon we are integrated into the group continuing to trail alongside the adult, thankfully she introduces herself before kidnapping us. "I am Professor Rosewood a teacher at Ilvermorny. I have been selected as the guide this year so I will lead you to school and answer any questions you may have about it." 

Oh, thank God. I don't have to listen to Tom's winding answers trying to figure out what he's saying. I can get some of my answers. 

"Excuse me, but why are we going to magic school?" The a few of the others nodded, while a few looked shocked. 

"I see, a first gen magical? How many of you are also first gen?" A few apprehensive hands were raised. "Ah, pardon me, a First gen is no one in your family is magical. As you are the first generation in your family to have magic." I few more hands were raised this time more confidently. "Okay, so the reason you all are going to magic school is to protect the wizarding world and stay hidden from the non-magical world, so you will learn to control your gifts in a safe place as to not get hurt by the No-Maj or reveal this world to them. The past few decades they've invented a lot of their own type of magic, their 'technology' but we will learn more about that in class." She continues up the path, with us trailing behind. 

"What's an Unknown Magical Orphan?" At this question she has a bit of a pitiful look while turning her head in my direction slightly. Everyone else notices the change and can't help but stare at me. Oh no what did I do now?

"An Unknown Magical Orphan is exactly what it sounds like, a Magical Orphan. It's not certain where you came from and very few even arrive here since they believe the letter is a joke. Other times the adoptive parents burn the letters for hypocrisy. Don't worry too much, we won't treat you differently, it's just a term for kids like you." She shakes her head and continues. By now we are at a pair of rusty iron gates, held tightly locked with a lock with no keyhole.  

in turn as if planned, Ms. Rosewood pulls out a stick of wood and points it toward the door. "Alohamora!" With a click the gate opens and a few of the kids look excited. I mean, it is cool, but I already know how to open locks with magic, though to a slower degree. I never thought about using a word, but most times I had to be quiet anyway. I listen in on what she says.

"-with a wand, it becomes much easier to do magic, but it isn't required to do magic, both wandless and wordless magic exists, though it usually is harder to perform. You can make anything into a magical focus, but wands are usually used as they are easy to carry, light, and help with casting. You will have the option to get a beginner wand, a specialized wand, and no wand should you continue in school."

So that's it, Magic can be used without it, it's just easier to use a focus. I've been doing fairly well with no-wand-no-word focused magic so maybe I should just keep doing it. We've arrived at the school now, a whole bunch of older, probably professors are out to greet us. There are some waves, but we all get led into a big open space, that I can only call it a hall. 

"Welcome First Years! I'm sure you are all excited to be here, learning you have magical powers, going to a mysterious school, becoming Wizards. Any questions you may have will be answered, and you will find what you are looking for." This time these words are announced loudly by and old man with a pure white mustache and foggy glasses. The other professors nod, So I can assume the old man is the Dean or the Principal or maybe Headmaster. All of the teachers including the old man stand in the back while us, the students are still huddled in the center, in front of these huge stone statues. The headmaster pulled out a long scroll and announced "When I call your name, stand in front of the pillars to see which houses are suited for you. Regardless of your choice you can go to any of the houses, but you may not find what you are looking for."

He takes a deep breath and with a loud voice, while it didn't look like he was shouting everyone heard it. "Andrews, Leah." I girl walks her way up the stand, cowering slightly against the overbearing statues. The short goblin-like creature raised up an arrow, while a gem on the snake lit up. "Aha, the Horned Serpent and Pukwudgie. excellent choices, which will you choose?" the girl cowered further before pointing towards the Pukwudgie. The light on the gem went out and the Pukwudgie went back to his original appearance. The headmaster pointed for the girl to head down the hall to the left. 

More people were called, but I wasn't really paying a ton of attention, except to learn the names of the creatures. The snake with the horn was the Horned Serpent, the goblin-like creature was a Pukwudgie, the lion-like cat was a Wampus, and the huge bird was a Thunderbird. I don't really know what the houses mean other than if they light up, I can go to the house. I guess it's important given the silent way were going about it. I snap out of my daze as a familiar name is called. 

"Thomas Graves!" Tom walks up to the stand excited, fingers crossed behind his back staring at the wampus house. Guess which one didn't light up. I mean he did get to pick between all three houses, but he did look a little disappointed. He points to the Thunderbird house, which I remembered his brother was in. I feel back into my thinking daze, thinking about what house I want to be in. I mean, the Thunderbird looks cool, heck, it has a cool name. Same with the Horned Serpent. Pukwudgie looks interesting, but the Wampus kinda bores me. It's just a cat.

"Nathan Peverell!" 

Soon my name is called, and I jolt up in surprise. Walking up to the stand, it takes like three seconds and all four of the statues erupt. Lights, loud noises, growls. I nearly fall over in surprised. So, I get to choose. I'm not sure what to choose, I didn't expect this I thought I'd get one or two suggested to me. I'm inclined to think horned serpent or thunderbird, since they look the coolest, randomly pointing at the Horned Serpent. Everything resets back into place, and I'm supposed to head down the hall to the left.  In the hall, everyone is just grouped up again, but this time there are a bunch of boxes surrounding us. 

After 15 minutes, everyone seems to have finished the sorting and the headmaster comes in. 

"You will now be getting your uniforms and magical focuses. Say out loud what you want, and it will be delivered." Soon a few of the students spoke loudly while others muttered softly. in their arms were placed little packages of clothes and different focuses. something miraculous would happen when they waved them around, little specks of light and color spraying into the air. A few popping-like balloons. A lot of the kids looked surprised and excited for the most part. 

"Uniform, no focus." I figure that I haven't used a focus now and probably won't in the future, because what if someone steals my wand or magical focus? Will I not be able to cast spells otherwise? I'd rather not have that. A little package what contains clothes appears in my hands, and I try to do something similar to what the kids with wands are doing, some popping white sparkles. Granted I don't really know what I'm doing, but with a gesture like I'm throwing something the sparkles appear. Only a few people were paying attention, but some of the professors look impressed. 

"Your schedules are included with your uniform, as well as a map. You will head to your dorms to settle and classes will begin. Classes are separated to two houses paired in various classes so make sure to make friends with people outside your house as well. In your third year you can switch electives, but for now all the classes you should need as first years are included. Carry Forth!" The headmaster announces, before origami animals of the 4 houses start flying in different directions. Every student hurriedly follows. 

When my group arrived at our dorm we were invited inside by a pair of snakes, statues like the one before, but these just opened the door for us. Walking inside, we we're greeted by a lovely common room, dorm hallways off to either side. 

"Why hello first years! I'm Ridley Tonino, the Horned Serpent Prefect! I'm here to direct you to your rooms and what being in the horned Serpent house means." Ridley pronounced. 

"Girls down the left hallways, boys on the right. Both sides of the room have been enchanted so the other gender can't come in. So no going into each other's rooms. You will each have three roommates so get along or you'll have a depressing rest of the year. One of the core concepts of being in The Horned Serpent House is knowledge. Our head of house is Professor Rosewood, some of you have met her earlier, as she was supposed to lead you here. Fun Fact, We have a trivia board game every Friday so you should check it out if you have free time. Any questions?"

No one said a thing, everyone was thinking about their future, or at least I was. I didn't ask anything so Ridley continued.

"Alright then, head to your rooms. The door will automatically open for you, but there are no room numbers so you'll have to remember them." With that, everyone dispersed, heading towards their own dorm. 

 

 

 

7