Chapter 5: First Day of Classes Pt.2
103 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

So transfiguration went interestingly. I had was called after class so I mean, here's a recap:

"First things first we're going to be turning a matchstick into a needle. Now, it may seem easy but transfiguration isn't all sparkly incantations and squiggly wand movements. You've got to visualize a transformation, changing the color is already a good start, changing the material even better. We will continue to practice this until the class is proficient before we move up to bigger objects."

I'm not sure such a practical exercise is a good idea, given we've been given very little instruction, but she's not talking anymore. there's a singles matchstick on everyone's desk, so I think she is just letting us try for ourselves. I'll just do what I do when I try to change the color of something. She said changing the color is progress right? I can do that with a lot of things. 

I don't actually know what I'm doing, I just stare at something with some strong emotion usually does something. Anger is usually a good one, but has explosive results. Sadness is goopy, so I should to confidence. So I got to stay confident while constantly thinking of changing the color to silver, easy-peasy.

Needle, needles, I've used needles before, for sewing up small patches in my clothes or for others for some change. Also good for picking locks, well not that great, hairpins are easier to use. I've used lots of hairpins, and I mean that I've stolen a lot but the only thing that I got that was valuable was the small chunk of gold from that one guy's safe...

"NATHAN PEVERALL STOP!" I jolt up out of my daze seeing Professor Snowhawk staring in shock at my desk. Looking down I see what the problem is, my matchstick. It appears to be a wobbly gold shape that fluctuates like a stretched balloon. She taps it once with her wand and it swiftly, well tries, to turn back into a match, but instead pops spraying golden liquid across my desk, that rapidly evaporates into thin air.

"Well, thank you for becoming an example of Gamp's Third Law of Transfiguration, Unfocused transfiguration results the the Destruction of the object. Which is why Transfiguration is a difficult study to go further into as though it's easy to quickly transfigure objects at the cost of stability and durability, moving onto more specific Human or Magical  transfiguration will be a big problem. Also Mr. Peverell, you need to meet me after class." She walks away, the gold liquid match substance completely disappearing.

The rest of the period was mostly tame, few people completely changing the matchstick to a needle very slowly, and most only managed to change the color, like I was originally intending.  

____________________

After class was relatively calm, Other then a few pointed looks as they walked out. I did as I was told and stayed after, ready for whatever lecture she wanted to give to me alone. 

"Mr. Peverall," Oh dang here it comes... "I heard you didn't take a wand?"

That wasn't expected. 

"I didn't, it seems like a bad thing to get accustomed too. Am I in trouble for that too?" I sure hope not. 

"No no no, It's just you may need to take supplementary lessons to compensate. Have you been doing magic before school?" 

"I'm sorry... It was mostly accidental! So yes, please don't kick me out, I really like it here and I-"

"We won't. I was just surprised how much magic you used in such a unfocused way, You've got the absolute bare minimum of requirements to do magic in any capacity just by using willpower which is impressive for a child. Most children barely have enough magic and willpower to change the color but you completely changed the structure on your own, which while wasn't correct, did show the basics of transfiguration."

"So... I'm a genius?" She chuckled lightly at my musing

"Not exactly. It'd be easier to say your magic is strong, but not very controllable. So currently your magic is a brute force method which won't work for a variety of spellcasting. All accidental magic is of brute force, which is why wands and other magical foci are meant to lessen its affects, and grant the ability to learn more control. Same with incantations and wand movements." 

"Do I need a wand then? I don't really want to since it seems a little constricting." 

"Well think of it this way; Magic is ink. You use a wand to write words, what you want down on paper. Without a wand you're just pouring ink at random onto a page, and nobody knows what that inkblot is. You can train to finger paint better, but a pen is always more legible then a finger.  So your magic will always have a degree of random when not using magical foci. Get it?" She explains.

"I see... but I read that magic is mostly intent and willpower, why is foci important, other then increased control?"

"They aren't. Control is the one thing you must learn. Foci are usually mandatory upon attendance but the headmaster wanted to experiment with this year, only a handful of people are training magic wandlessly, with you being the only first year to do so. Naturally you have a much steeper learning curve then the rest of your peers. Foci are a tool, much like a pen, to use my early example, designed to make controlling magic easier. The whole point of the school is to stop magical children from accidentally using magic in a destructive manner. If that answers your question."

"So what supplementary lessons must I take?" I ask nearly forgetting the original intent she asked me after class for.

"Ah, right right, After supper you'll have tutoring sessions with Professor Lyness, and be given a placeholder block from performing magic in any other class until you've got your magic under control. Which means all of your classes are now, until you've developed a modicum of control, theoretical."

"Wait, so I can't perform charms or transfiguration anymore?" I say exasperated. 

"Correct, you will only be practicing control exercises under the supervision of Professor Lyness. Once she give the okay you can start to participate in practical lessons. Now on your way." She hands over a note of tardiness that I would bring to my next class as she shepherds me out of her classroom.

Stuck in a daze, I snap out of it when I hear her door shut. I am now doubting my decision to be wandless. I mean yeah, I was entertaining ideas that I could shoot fireballs out of my hands, do hypnosis with my eyes and all that jazz, but now it seems to have bitten me on the butt. Perhaps I should head to the headmaster and ask if I can now get a wand or something.

4