Chapter 6: A Talk with the Headmaster
114 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Announcement
I almost posted this chapter later then chapter 8 so now doing them both the same day

Luckily the map still had use, as I had no clue where the headmasters office even was, even after exploring the school on my own. It turned out to be near the astronomy/meteorology tower. My next class was on the opposite side of the school, so I just had to hurry. Maybe if I'm lucky I can choose a foci. Though probably not a wand. Maybe a ring. 

I knock on the door in front of me, I mean I assume it's the door to the headmaster's office, I was kind of in my own thoughts too much to notice I was on autopilot. The door opens and indeed, the Headmaster's looming beard is blocking my vision. 

"Mr. Peverall? What might you be doing here at this hour? You should have class right now." 

"Um headmaster, if it's not too late can I get a wand?" I ask in a hurry. 

"Ah, I see. I imagine you had a difficult time in one of your earlier classes. I'm sorry but I can't help you young man. Magical focuses are very temperamental. You can only get one that's specific to you or a hereditary one. We've sent away the wand masters and any other focus was imported and we didn't have a lot to begin with. You can also see the problem with hereditary focuses for yourself I believe?" He replies in a sad tone. 

"Since I'm a magical orphan no one knows if I have any magical inheritances... but can't I at least get a placeholder to do spellcasting?" 

"I got a message from Professor Snowhawk earlier and I have to agree with her plans for you. You'll have to wait until next year if you want to get the chance of a wand. It's not all bad though, You should consider researching focusless magic in the library. Who knows if this is a blessing for you." He winks and then herds me out again. "Also you should hurry. You may be able to make it for the last 15 minutes of your class if you do." and with that he closes his door. 

____________________

If you're wonder, no I didn't make it to my next class. I did make it to flying lessons, which did bring my mood up. Since wands weren't required I could participate in this class. 

"I am Instuctor Viper. You will call me by my title or just Instructor. We will be going over how to mount, fly, and land brooms. Yes, there are other types of flying, such as spells or other magical items such as rugs, but we will be going over the basics that are usually present in enchanted brooms." She sternly commanded us. It was very sargent-esque.

"To begin stand to the side of your dominant hand, and command the broom with a strong UP. Upon practice some of you can do this wordlessly with just a thought but you are not at this stage yet." She blew her whistle which I think was supposed to tell us to start. 

"UP." I command alongside the shouts of the other students. I felt a bit of my magic touch the broom as it shot up into my hand. As a reaction I gripped it, but the broom tried to ascend further yanking my arm as it did so. Looking around, Tom also got it and was smirking like he was a genius. Two twin girls also got it, but they looked bored while they did it. I figure the three of them are all part of magical families so that's one of the reasons they got it. Most of the rest of the students had a broom that was tilted, half levitating trying to reach their hand but not quite there. Some of the brooms were just wiggling in the grass, while those students were yelling at their broom like a naughty pet. 

From the ease that Tom got and the twins, I don't think mine was supposed to try and take my arm off. Or try to continue to do so. I forcefully was holding my broom but it kept trying to ascend more, as whenever I relaxed my arm it rose again. I continued this struggle until everyone managed to command their brooms properly. 

"Alright, now mount your brooms, step over and sit at an angle. As you've already activated them, hover for a few feet and land back down slowly. On my mark." She blew her whistle again, and everybody began to do as she said. 

Tom seemed to do it fine, And Colbolt seemed to be having a small competition with him, the two of them trying to rise ever so slightly higher then the other. I kept watching the two of them as I tried to reign in my own broom from flying out of my grasp. The two twin girls looked completely unimpressed and with a look to each other they secretly pulled out their wands. I don't think I'm the only one who noticed but no one was getting Instructor Viper and I did want to see how this played out.

The ends of their brooms then connected, and with an astonished look the two of them started spinning around. I was not the first to start laughing but it was hilarious watching them try to balance and get down properly. They kept fighting each others momentum causing them to rock back and forth like on a see-saw, while they were spinning. They did get the hang of it and land normally but Colbolt vomited and Tom fainted so they had to head to the nurse. 

The distraction finally calmed down my broom, so I could ride it normally, and class ended soon after that. 

____________________

 

3