Chapter 15: Setting Camp
81 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

~Tulip’s Perspective~

 

 

“I’m so useless.” (Tulip)

 

 

I muttered to myself.

 

I have never been good at anything. I had a huge amount of mana that I can use to cast spells, but I am unable to cast any spells. Elder Hugo didn’t want to give up on me but my constitution was quite rare. I had the mana of an elf but the Hornkin’s affinity towards body enhancement magic and skills. The only way I could fight is by using weapons or my body.

 

If only I have the combat ability and finesse most Hornkins are born with despite their looks.

 

 

“I’m so clumsy… I couldn’t even hunt and not destroy the monsters… I’m so useless.” “Maybe Sir Victor can help me.” (Tulip)

 

 

I was ready to bear the burden of destroying the other hunters’ hard work. I know they will feel sad, but I’d rather they be disappointed than lose any of them. But after witnessing Sir Victor… I feel like I have a chance to fight alongside the others.

 

Cait Siths are not known for fighting using magic not weapons. They command spells that could level a whole city. Summoning a [Firestorm] that would even burn its targets’ ashes and turn the land to glass, a wide encompassing [Tempest] that would target kingdoms.

 

But Cait Siths are also known as wise Sages that would share knowledge with people. They have been known as Kingmakers. Ancient kings and queens have been mentored by Cait Siths. They don’t care about your status or race. Ancient countries have been made by their guiding paws.

 

 

“I’ll make sure to try to appeal to Sir Victor. I might soon be able to fight properly or learn to cast spells.” (Tulip)

 

“---Hey Tulip!!!” (Hunter)

 

 

Suddenly a hand was tapping my shoulder. And a black-furred wolfkin hunter was talking to me. The face of his younger self overlapped with his older self.

 

He must have thought I was sleeping when I wasn’t talking back. I’m so ashamed.

 

 

“I’m awake!” (Tulip)

 

“I can see that, but I’ve been trying to get your attention. However, you’ve been muttering to yourself while looking at the surrounding” (Hunter)

 

“---I’m sorry.” (Tulip)

 

 

Why am I so useless.

 

 

“Hey, I’m not mad. You’re too serious. Relax you’re always worrying about something. You’re the best at what you do you know?” (Hunter)

 

“Bu-but. I can’t help at all. Every time we go hunting, I can’t help but mess up all the prey.” (Tulip)

 

“*Sigh* Come on. Eat, for now, I can keep watch while you take a quick break.” (Hunter)

 

 

He’s just trying to make me feel better. They all are. He looked worried probably because he doesn’t want to tell me I’m right.

 

My fellow villagers are too kind. I shouldn’t trample on their kindness.

 

My words will prove nothing. I will get Sir Victor to teach me, and I will become a proper hunter. I won’t make them worry about me anymore.

 

 

“Thank you! I’ll be back soon I promise.” (Tulip)

 

“Please relax. Promise me. You’ll tire yourself from worrying.” (Hunter)

 

“I-I promise.” (Tulip)

 

“Then go ahead. The others can process the prey for now.” (Hunter)

 

 

They are my childhood friends. Some of them I took care of when they are still babies, but now they are far more mature than me. I’m going to show you I’m a reliable adult.

 

 

“…no creature in sight and quieter than before...” (Hunter)

 

 

That’s something new, I guess. Vargas must be quite busy setting traps and hunting around the perimeter. If only I was as skillful and talented as him.

 

 

 

 

~Vargas’ Perspective~

 

 

“Northern side is done. We’ll move to the east. Bridget is gunning for some action too.” (Vargas)

 

“I found a good tree I could use as a watchtower. Just leave me some supplies and I’m good until the next shift.” (Hunter)

 

“You heard her. Get a move on and let’s set up traps on the east side. (Vargas)

 

 

Elves and Half-elves are really good scouts and mages. Being born with [Farsight] or [Hawkeyes] must be nice. I can only see as far as them with Bridget’s scope. Being born as a dwarf I would have been just a craftsman or smith but I ain’t satisfied with that.

 

I’m gonna be the best archer and hunter out there. Now I just have to make Bridget stronger and find a way to move faster than any prey.

 

Well, traps and tools can help with that.

 

 

“Oy! Hide those traps better. The monsters have gotten smarter since the last hunt.” (Vargas)

 

“Aye.” “Yeah.” “Sure.” (Hunters)

 

“Monsters can appear anytime so you scouts better be working your asses off if you want better bows and arrows.

 

 

I hear whispered cheers from the scouts. They’ve been leaping from tree to tree making sure we can set up our traps quietly. I’m gonna craft some good leather gear and do some improvements on their bows.

 

 

“They could train to be strong to carry Bridget you know.” (Vargas)

 

“Vargas, don’t infect anyone with your eccentricities. Also, our scouts can’t carry heavy weapons like Bridget. The only person I can see leaping from tree to tree with a weapon like yours is Tulip. Too bad she’s born without any sight enhancement skills and she’s a bit of a klutz.” (Hunter)

 

“Oy! No one can down an enemy faster than her though.” (Vargas)

 

“I know that. If only she would listen. Sigh. I saw her using some crossbows and longbows but her Half-Hornkin traits are too much for handling normal bows and she has a hard time hitting the targets.” (Hunter)

 

“Aye. We told her but she’s just like you.” (Hunter)

 

“Hey! If I was like her, you’ll be seeing me leaping from tree-to-tree, blasting prey with Bridget on my hand.” (Vargas)

 

 

If I have even half of what Tulip has, I’m sure I can do more. But she’s stubbornly refusing her gifts. Why would anyone as unique as her try to become as mediocre as the rest of us?

 

People like her with gifts no one else has are sure to stand out and become the best at the path that they can only walk. Me. I’m just a common dwarf with dreams bigger than my own skills. I have to work hard and supplement my skills to stand out from the rest of the dwarves and hunters here.

 

 

“We’re done let’s move to the next spot. We have to finish before sunset!” (Vargas)

 

“We have to change Magic Bags first.” (Hunter)

 

“We’re almost out of Magic Bags?” (Vargas)

 

“Yeah. We should send a few back in camp and drop some of the prey. If only we have greater Magic Bags like Sir Victor.” (Hunter)

 

“Eh? Just be thankful we have Magic Bags, but you heard the man. The main unit will keep setting up the traps while some will return to the camp and unload the prey. Get some more magic bags. It looks like there’s an out-of-season breeding season with the monsters or there are some migratory monsters. Be more alert.” (Vargas)

 

“The monsters might be spooked because of Mount Fire. It has been quite active lately. Good thing we’re quite far even if it explodes.” (Hunter)

 

“Well from the debris and molten rock yeah. But There’s gonna be a lot of ash if it does erupt. Let’s ask Elder Hugo to send someone who can use spirit magic to talk to the fire spirits near the volcano.” (Vargas)

 

 

I talked to the other trappers and scouts some more before we separate. There is something quiet and mysterious blanketing the forest and the volcano whether it’s malicious or not no one can tell.

 

 

“This might be why a Cait Sith arrived in the village. Somethings f*cking happening and only the gods know what it is.

Everybody go and proceed with your task. And---be more alert than before. Somethings afoot.” (Vargas)

 

 

What I wouldn’t trade just to be powerful as Tulip so I can protect everyone and earn their admiration.

1