CH 5 : WIGHT WOLF – GHOST WALK
66 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"What!?"

Feng Luotian turned toward Mei Yue'er in shock, while Sun Wuji became completely still, rooted to the ground.

As a commoner, there was no way he would be able to sense how strong the beast was. Only the cultivators who had the strength relatively close to it would be able to sense its power via its suppressive force.

Mei Yue'er still could not shake off her fear and confusion staring straight at the beast: "B-But, why would it be here?"

Right now, the Wight Wolf was glaring at the three of them with ferocious gazes ready to hunt its prey.

Sun Wuji was the first one to collect his mind as he loudly made one clap of hands to wake his friends from a stupor. He then quickly proposed a plan: "Sister Mei, you take Brother Feng and run away as fast as you can while I distract its attention."

Mei Yue'er voiced her disapproval of the plan: "No, I will be the one distracting the beast. I can move faster than you, so I have more chance to get out alive."

However, Sun Wuji immediately said his piece of mind: "And how am I supposed to bring Brother Feng and get out of this situation safely? What if the Wight Wolf suddenly ignore your distraction and turned towards us? And yeah, I am slower than you, and that's exactly the reason you have to be the one to bring Brother Feng away."

Mei Yue'er: "But …"

Sun Wuji ordered after giving his viewpoint: "Just do as I say, GO!!" Not waiting for any replies, Sun Wuji fully activated his Theríon and his whole body instantly turned to stone maximizing his battle capability, then he launched towards the Wight Wolf without delay.

Seeing Sun Wuji already took off, there was no point in arguing any longer. Mei Yue'er grabbed Feng Luotian's shoulder and let her Theríon shroud both her and his bodies.

Streaks of green light connected between two locations as both of them instantly moved a hundred some meters in every teleportation, approaching the city wall that was a dozen kilometers away.

At the city wall, there were city guards who were at least Seven Fangs. And the city guard captain was a Two Talons Warrior. Once they reached the city wall, they would definitely be safe from this doom.

Back to Sun Wuji's side

As he charged at the Wight Wolf, he leaped high up into the air and heavily stomped down as he dropped causing the earth and rock debris to spring up from the ground.

He rapidly punched and kicked those floating debris shooting them at the Wight Wolf creating a series of heavy impact noise.

The sounds might be quite impressive to hear, but unfortunately, such earth and rock debris shot by a Five Fangs Fighter were nothing more than spray drops of water hitting the wolf's face.

The Wight Wolf indifferently stood still while being subjected to Sun Wuji's continuous onslaught for a moment until it turned its head to Mei Yue'er and Feng Luotian's direction. Then it finally began to chase after them, ignoring Sun Wuji completely.

"!?" A little confusion aroused up in his mind as he furrowed his brows. Quickly following the beast, Sun Wuji tackled a house-sized stone in his path.

Following a bang, that stone started to crack. After it broke off, he used practically all of Theríon he had left to raise that massive chunk of stone up aiming at the Wight Wolf.

Sun Wuji threw the stone with his full force along with the loud curse: "You are not getting away from me, YOU PRICK!!"

The attack directly hit the Wight Wolf's abdomen while it was leaping up in the air, causing it to stumble and fall down to the ground.

However, even then the Wight Wolf's eyes still extensively focused on Mei Yue'er and Feng Luotian's direction. After it got up, it continued the pursuit, paying no mind to Sun Wuji.

Exhausted, Sun Wuji knelt down with panting breath. As he used most of his Theríon, his stone body turned back to normal: "This is no hungry predator. It has come with a target in mind. Not good!!"

The Wight Wolf's complete lack of interest in him confirmed his guess and cleared his previous confusion from the first bout. After he caught his breath, Sun Wuji stood up and quickly followed.

"!!" When he raised his head to look for the Wight Wolf, it disappeared into thin air, making him frown in confusion. But either way, Sun Wuji knew for sure that Feng Luotian and Mei Yue'er were heading towards the city wall, so he set his path and quickly raced in pursuit.

Feng Luotian suddenly spoke after he noticed something wrong with Mei Yue'er: "Yue'er, I think we should find someplace to hide."

Not realizing the problem, Mei Yue'er insisted on continuing and rejected Feng Luotian's idea: "Why? Even if we lost the monster, for absolute safety, we have to be heading towards the city wall at all cost."

Feng Luotian began to explain the problem outright: "Yue'er, your Theríon is depleting fast with me as a burden. I can see that the distance of your [Aurora Treading Steps] is getting shorter every time you activate. At this rate, you will be out of Theríon within a couple of miles where we still haven't reached the city wall yet. If the monster catches up, what then?"

Mei Yue'er abruptly paused her steps and think.

Feng Luotian continued: "You should reserve some Theríon for the worst-case scenario. That's why I suggest we find someplace to hide and wait to observe the situation. Furthermore, I'm worried about Brother Sun. If possible, I want to confirm his status."

Mei Yue'er eventually agreed as Feng Luotian's logic was convincing enough: "Alright."

Following that, the two of them found a huge trunk with moss and fungus on it, giving a good blend to the surrounding environment. They decided to choose this trunk as their hiding place.

A few minutes had passed with nothing but silence going on around them.

Mei Yue'er whispered with a low voice: "I don't like this. It's too quiet." A quiet atmosphere in this kind of situation gave nothing but bad feelings to the two youngsters.

Feng Luotian: "I don't like it, either. I can't help but feel like someone was watching us. Maybe, it's just my imagination."

To avert their shaky spirits, Feng Luotian decided to start asking: "By the way, about this situation, I have two questions. First, how is a Talon Monster approaching that close to us when you and Brother Sun couldn't sense any of its presence? And second, how come there is a Talon Monster appearing in this part of the Warland Thicket?"

Mei Yue'er thought for a bit and answered while still paying her attention to the surroundings, keeping her voice as low as she can: "I only have an answer to your first one, for that is a special ability of Wight Wolf: [Ghost Walk]. I have seen its record in my father's office. A Wight Wolf can lower its aura and presence to the point where no one could sense it. The stronger the Wight Wolf is, the closer it can approach unnoticed."

"However, there is a downside to that ability. It might be able to erase its presence, but not its existence. It's still there when it activates its ability. So, there will still be a footstep sound and a trace of its footprints. If it wants to get closer without being noticed, its movement must be incredibly slow, not making any unnecessary noises."

"Actually, it should be able to approach us much closer than what happened, giving its strength as a Talon Monster. And we were also talking at the time. There was no way we would notice any sound of footsteps. But for some reason, it chose to reveal itself and use the suppressive force which is less efficient than the [Ghost Walk]. That would be my question to this situation."

Feng Luotian: "I see."

The long explanation actually calmed them down a little bit.

Mei Yue'er continued: "As for your second question, I don't know either. Normally, in this outer part of Warland Thicket, the highest monster level should be at most Seven Fangs. It should be impossible for a Talon Monster to be hunting in this part of the Thicket. After we get out of here safely, I will consult my father about t …"

Mei Yue'er abruptly stopped in the middle of her sentence, causing Feng Luotian to ask: "W…!?"

Mei Yue'er covered his mouth with her hand and placed a finger on her lip signaling him to be quiet, then moved her mouth without a sound: "It's coming!!"

Feng Luotian imitated her by reticently moving his mouth with fear lingering in his eyes: "Where!?"

Mei Yue'er used gestures and hand signals as if saying: "Very close!! Less than one hundred meters away."

"…!?" As the matter of fact, Feng Luotian did not see anything in the direction Mei Yue'er was pointing. And so, he started to closely watch any changes that would happen in that direction.

An extremely faint sound followed by a paw mark on the ground gave a jolt to Feng Luotian who presently could not even see a single hair of the Wight Wolf.

Feng Luotian thought: "I see. Being a cripple, it should be impossible for me to sense a stealth Talon Monster, huh?"

However, upon a sudden realization, Feng Luotian heavily grabbed Mei Yue'er and quietly yet solemnly said: "Yue'er, this is not good!! We've got to run now!!"

Mei Yue'er gave a confused look: "Why?"

Feng Luotian gravely answered with a question: "Why would it use the [Ghost Walk] now if it doesn't know where we are hiding?"

Yes, if the monster did not know where they were, why would it bother using stealth?

"!!" A realization came to Mei Yue'er.

Suddenly, an explosive boom sounded as the wolf's figure disappeared and attacked without warning at all. The trunk they were hiding in was crushed to pieces.

Mei Yue'er barely pulled Feng Luotian out of the hiding place and avoid the attack in time, causing some superficial injuries on her arm. She sternly said: "Wait here!! I hope Wuji will catch up to us soon, or else. We will all be dead!!" then put Feng Luotian behind a tree then immediately dashed out.

To not get in the way, Feng Luotian had no choice but to hide behind that tree, watching a cruel episode unfold.

2