Bravery is not bound by age 2.
495 10 20
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

From the perspective of Eandollath. 

I have cut down the third zergling just a few seconds after the first arrived at my position. They were coming at us in a flood. There was simply no time to speak or to focus on anything else. I did not get injured yet, but my shield was about to give out, as each one of the zerglings managed to hit it with a ferocious bite or claw. They were ramming into me with their bodies trying to push me out of my balance. I knew that if they succeeded then they would overwhelm me in mere seconds. 

One more hit, maybe two, and my shield will break. I dreaded the moment, every protoss did. The shield was not simply a technological device. It was only partly such, technology fused with the power of  the mind. In other words, psionic energies. 

Therefore, breaking a shield meant that the fighters minds were momentarily overwhelmed. It created a time of vulnerability in the body and mind. Such momentary confusion could lead to mistakes, mistakes that can prove deadly in the middle of an intense battle such as this was. I tried to gather my will to strengthen the shield in the few seconds until I waited for the next zergling to reach me. I watched as the four-legged beast was running towards me, followed by a few more behind it. 

I dodged the first one narrowly while stepping aside and simultaneously cutting its back. I felt as my blade cut through its spine, dead. I understood, and looked at the second one immediately.

My eyes widened in shock. The very moment I looked ahead, I saw a zergling already jumping towards me. It was running in the shadow of the first one, and I didn't notice it until now. 

I raised my weapon in front of me to defend against the creature as there was no time to evade it. I winced in pain, as the beast crashed against my shield, at last breaking through it. I felt a wave of dizziness, as I looked at the also confused zergling that  momentum in the end was still stopped. I gripped my weapon stronger, and with a swift move I cut off the head of the zergling. 

I exhaled with relief trying to concentrate my focus on the next enemy. It was running at me already, there was no time to hesitate, and I charged at it head on. My sudden charge took it off guard, as it hastily tried to change its speed. It was too late. I brought my scythe down, puncturing it through the mid section of its body. Blood splashed at me. My shield did not block it this time. I need to rest to recreate it, but such a thing is simply impossible right now.

-Look out! 

I heard an alarming shout from a few steps behind me, and my eyes instinctively looked up. I felt as if something grabbed onto my khala from behind. Well, it was only my fake khala so I didn't really care about it, except that that something was the damnable zergling I just cut up. It was still alive. It already received a fatal injury, but not one that would cripple it immediately. The cursed bastard was currently chewing on my khala...

This was nothing more than a small nuisance. There was no reason to be so alarmed, I thought. Then I saw an ominous movement on the edge of my vision, and I turned my face towards it. 

My expression immediately changed, as I saw two banelings rolling towards me. I tried to move in my sudden panic, but the zergling was still holding onto my khala. I couldn't run away as the damnable creature was too heavy to pull along. I did a side turn and cut open its maw, which eventually forced it to let go of me. 

However, it was too late, when I turned around the banelings were too close... I braced for impact, only to see the figure of a zealot bravely charging into the midst of the two rolling flasks of acid. It was Fenix, he crashed into the first one as it blew up. It immediately destroyed his shield. There was no hesitation in his actions, as he charged towards the second one. He ran past it in a wide circle, as he realized that it wasn't aiming for him, but for me, or perhaps the slowly emerging pylon behind. 

As he ran past it, he managed to cut open the glands on its side, causing the baneling to blow up on the spot. It splashed acid on Fenix, and also on me, injuring both of us in the process. 

I hissed as the pain from the corrosive acid burned my skin and armor. I tried to shook it off from my arms as white billows of smoke began to rise into the air. I winced as the burning pain pulsed through my body. I looked at Fenix, who fell to his knees a few meters ahead of me. He got the worst of the acid shower. I ran to his side with a worry-filled expression as I looked over his burned body. 

-Fenix...

I saw the extent of his injuries and I felt a knot appear in my throat as I realized, that I could have escaped with a shadow blink. Obviously I wasn't willing to die just to hide that information, but Fenix didn't know that, and he risked his life to save mine... I felt sorry for him, and a sense of guilt surfaced in my soul. My mind quickly came to my help, telling me that it couldn't be helped as it was a secret that I had to protect. On the other hand, that logical answer didn't make me feel much better. 

I grabbed his left arm and pulled him up, to stand. 

-You shouldn't have done such a foolish thing... but I have to admit, it was cool.

Fenix, stood up with my support and looked at me with a pair of twinkling eyes. He stated. 

-I probably would have died already, if you didn't come to our help a while ago. Now I have paid back my debt. 

I looked at the brave warrior, and planned to tell him some typical lies to ensure him that his time was yet to come, but the sound of a large number of zerglings stopped me in my thoughts. Both of us looked towards the incoming wave of zerglings. They somehow managed to lure away the colossus; and now a team of twenty to thirty slipped by it. 

I looked to the pylon, it was almost done, we only needed a little bit of time, but alas we had no more. Fenix grabbed my shoulder and gave me a half hug. 

-It was an honor to fight on your side Ean. I say we take as many of the bastards with us as we can. 

-The honor was mine, brave friend... Ready your blade for this last charge! 

We stood together as the wave of zerglings approached. Suddenly a series of crackling sounds filled the air above the zerglings. The air seemed to freeze for a second as a blue lightning struck the zerglings then another one followed. Soon, the very ground around them was overcharged by pure templar energy blowing a high quantity of ash and dust into the air. 

Both of us watched in awe as the psionic storm raged over the battlefield cooking the zerglings alive as they fell to the ground, billowing large clouds of smoke from their burned bodies. 

We turned around and looked at the three kids with genuine surprise. They were holding hands as they focused their minds together to create such a powerful storm of energies. They smiled at each other as they fell to the ground, kneeling or sitting next to each other. They were completely exhausted, barely conscious, but still smiling relieved. 

I watched the three small heroes in awe, two boys and one girl, the templar acolytes from before, they must have followed us, these young warriors were truly something. Pride filled my soul with new vigor, as I bear witness to such an example of bravery.

-It seems the hour of death is not yet upon us.

Stated Fenix, with a solemn expression. 

-Yet, it is far too early to let our guards down. There will be more zergs to come, soon. 

I added dryly. 

The constant sizzling sound of the teleporting pylon disappeared with a loud snap. Which was followed by a dozen lights of small scaled warp ins hitting the ground around us. In the matter of seconds a hundred zealots and twenty dragoons with a high templar leading them appeared.

I felt dizzy as I saw the huge force of warriors taking up defensive formations around us. 

I felt an enormous wave of relief as the realization finally hit me. We did it! It was hard to believe it, but we did it. We stood together, unmoving, as we watched the colossus walk in the distance, still chasing the zergs, through the forest. 

The newly arrived high templar hovered next to us, and said. 

-It is a pleasure to see you alive Fenix, old friend. We feared the worst when the connection was lost from this location. 

Fenix turned towards the newly arrived templar, and said with clear surprise in his voice. 

-Artanis?! You shouldn't have come here personally! 

Artanis seemed to be annoyed by Fenix's sudden outbreak, but he wasn't surprised by his reaction at all. 

Artanis, I knew that name already. He was a high-ranking templar, one that was not far behind of Tassadar position. He is expected to receive the rank of executor soon. In other words, he is a big shot. I shouldn't mess with him and avoid his gaze as much as possible. 

-Nonsense, do not expect me to sit tight while our home is burning around us. Did you think of me as someone who will hide in a corner of a nexus while our people suffer? 

Fenix was immediately silenced after he heard the load statement of Artanis. He shook is head weakly, with an amused expression.

Then Artanis gaze fell upon me, and I froze. 

-And who might this be, a friend of yours, I assume? 

Fenix answered with pride. 

-Yes, a new comrade and a great warrior! She saved my life, in fact. 

-Oh?

Said Artanis whose interest was picked. 

I felt a sense of awkwardness and immediately began to soften the edge of such  a statement. 

-Just as you did save mine, which led you to this state.

Artanis was watching our interaction with great interest. He still decided to interrupt our banter, before it could truly begin. 

-It is rare to see female types become  frontal assaults. The body creation of females is much more suited for long ranged combat and psionic attacks. 

He stated his thoughts openly.

...Well, he is perfectly right. That is why I am not really a frontal assault, more like an assassin, but that is... 

He continued his speech. 

-Also, I never saw a psionic scythe like that. Its aura feels different... for some reason.

I felt more and more fidgety as he continued to state uncomfortable facts about me.

Luckily, Fenix also seemed somewhat annoyed by this situation, and growled at his friend. 

-Artanis, did you hit your head while you warped here? We almost died for the khala's sake! Stop asking stupid questions and help the survivors. There are a few more in the building there, and there might be others hiding somewhere else too.

I felt as Fenix had decided to let go of my shoulder and tried to stand on his own legs entirely. Unfortunately he wobbled and his arm tried to catch my shoulder again in a slight panic, but he missed it and grabbed onto my khala instead. I mean my fake khala, which was already chewed by a zergling a while ago and this time there was only a sound of ripping material. The fake khala that was attached to the end of my original one ripped away and Fenix dropped on the ground holding the slightly chewed and now completely separated fake khala in his hand. 

I looked at him in utter shock, as I didn't have any possible idea what to do now. This situation was so out of my expectations that I froze to my place. Completely. 

Everyone walking nearby, stopped and looked at us with wide eyes, eyes that soon were filled with pity? Wait what? They don't want to arrest me or kill me for being a dark templar... why? What's happening? 

I felt an incredulous wave of shock and confusion. 

I turned towards Fenix to receive some sort of explanation. He sat on the ground with a heavy expression. Then he said with a remorseful voice. 

-Ean, forgive this old fool for his clumsiness... I saw that your khala had been damaged by that zergling earlier... yet I in my foolishness, grabbed onto it in my fall... I have ripped away your khala! I cannot express my shame about this! 

I looked at Fenix with genuine shock and surprise. The only thing I managed to say in my current state was a pitiful sound.

-Ehh?

I felt a symphathetic hand placed on one of my shoulders. 

I turned around and saw Artanis trying to console me for my loss. 

-I cannot say that I truly understand your pain Ean. I can only say, that if we survive this battle it will eventually grow back, in a few years. You only have to adapt until that happens. Please forgive Fenix, it was but an unfortunate accident. He would never do such a thing on purpose. You have my word.

-Eh? 

It seemed that my vocabulary was the thing that suffered the most decisive damage after such an outcome.

I felt a drop of water fall on my forehead, and I looked up at the sky. A storm has come. 

20