A new opportunity arises (13. Shared universe)
392 5 22
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

From the perspective of Lily.


Just before I could have asked this interesting question from one of the strangely robed guards in the corner. The door opened and I was asked to go inside by the lady who brought me to this strange yet very beautiful building. I have heard from Barriss, that it was supposed to be a temple, and their home at the same time. 

However, when I asked her, if she was preparing to become a priestess she only snorted as a reaction. I guess, I didn't know enough to understand the reasons behind that action... 

Soon I was led inside a spacious room, to my surprise, Barriss and her master remained outside and soon I found myself standing in front of two terrans, and a strange green being, which was surprisingly small and weird. It had two large ears, very disproportionate compared to its body size.

I felt frustrated looking at the creature, the evolutional paths it took were clearly unreasonable. The arms and legs were too short, how could it even escape from predators? Even if it was capable of seeing or hearing them, it would hardly be able to run away?

The creature was a mystery to me, however looking at the wrinkles on its skin, it was old. Which meant it had to live for a long time, how could it survive for so long in a world that is as dangerous as this one. 

With that thought in mind, I suddenly felt a certain sense of respect towards the weird creature. It must have been more capable than I originally thought. I know too little about this place to realistically judge the people around me. It was a good thing to keep in mind. 

My stare however seemed to stretch far longer than I originally intended. Thanks to that, I saw the three people, in front of me exchange meaningful glances with one another. For me, it was a bit too much to decipher the meaning behind those actions yet.

However, I believe that if I spend enough time with people, I will eventually learn to decipher the proper meaning of facial expressions and more subtle signs. For now, I am only capable of clearly understanding anger, pain, sadness and joy from only reading someone's expression. If they speak their feelings out loud, then I can understand them more clearly. 

It could also be, because I have felt those emotions myself. I found that experiencing them is the most efficient way to relate to such feelings. 

-Cough, cough. 

Sounded the light coughing of the man sitting in one of the chairs. Then he began to speak to me in a polite way.

-I am Obi'Wan Kenobi, jedi master, these are Master Yoda and Master Windu. 

I looked at him while processing the information. He seemed to be waiting for something, but when nothing happened, he coughed once more and continued. 

-If I am correctly informed, you are a bounty hunter called Lily... is that right? 

-Yes.

I answered simply. 

He seemed somewhat relieved hearing that, but quickly continued with new questions.

-So... Lily, what is your last name if you don't mind me asking? 

-...I don't have one.

-...I see... Then can you tell me the name of your parents? 

-I don't know... I hatched from a chrysalis, how could I know who laid it, I wasn't alive at the time... Before the change, I wasn't the same as I am now. 

-... I-I see...

The man called Obi'Wan Kenobi seemed to feel quite disturbed hearing my answers. His eyes looked towards the other terran showing an emotion I didn't recognize. 

The other man, with a darker skin color, sighed loudly and took over the questioning using a very different tone.

-So, you say, that you are not a mammal, while looking so similar to a regular human being. It is impossible to mistake the obvious similarity. Then how would you describe what your race, a zerg is to us? 

-To the first question, the answer is simple. The original body I have as a base once belonged to a human called Myka, after the zerg captured her and infested her body she ceased to exist and eventually I was born. I am neither zerg nor human, I am somewhere between the two.

This statement seemed to raise a few eyebrows in the large room and there were a few more silent glances exchanged. 

The man turned to me with fickle of anger and continued.

-Do your race consider taking over other beings' bodies as a natural means to multiply?

I felt the underlying threat in the voice, it was impossible to miss it, therefore I decided to think through my answer. Eventually I stated. 

-No, but it is a possibility to do so.

-And what do you think about such acts, as someone who lives in a borrowed body? 

-I don't know, what to think, but it is my body... It is not borrowed. 

The man seemed to be hardly able to control his anger, then eventually he said.

-Then what would you say, if I put you into a dungeon for the rest of your life, with the charge of parasiting-killing, without showing the slightest bit of remorse? 

 I was confused, by this question. After a few minutes of silent thinking I gave my answer. 

-I did not choose to live inside this body. I did not know the one living inside it before me, I only absorbed her memories to a certain degree... It is part of me now, she doesn't exist anymore. Only me. 

I saw veins pop out on the hairless man's forehead.

-How could you say something like that, can't you feel remorse or any sort of regret towards those you caused pain or killed?

-I find, remorse to be very ineffective, but also necessary. I have understood that what I have done, was wrong towards the senator... I thought she was a bad person. However, I will not feel remorse towards being born into this word. Even if that meant, I had to consume another being. I did not do it, intentionally, knowingly even, but if I was offered the chance again in that way, I would do it again. If you wish to take back my body, for whatever reason you may seem justifiable. You will have to kill me, but if you do, how could you say what I did was wrong? 

The man seemed to find my words frustrating all of a sudden. He clearly wanted to rebuke me, but didn't find the words to do so. Eventually he sighed and stated in an offended tone. 

-So you at least understand, that what you did was wrong. That is why you give yourself up? That's admirable, but I find it hard to believe, that you seriously didn't realize the weight of your actions. What do you say in your defense? 

-I am sorry. 

-... Is, that all? 

-Yes. 

-...

The man turned towards the chair positioned between the two humans, looking at the weird being sitting on it. 

The little creature's eyes opened and its ears raised slowly, and at last it began to speak.

-In your words, I sense no falsehood. That, in itself is more puzzling, than any lie could have been. I see that you are honest, but naive, and above all, you have a strong connection to the force, but you are unable to control it in efficient ways. 

-The force? 

I asked in wonder. 

The man called Obi'Wan, spoke up in a lecturing tone.

-This is how we call the energy, that can move things from a distance, are pushing things away, like you did with Luminara's padawan. 

-You mean, the psionic energy?

The other human, who was called Master Windu added.

-Heh, how demeaning to call it on such a name... The force is much more than simple energy, it bounds everything, even life together. It is not something, you can simply use, without any repercussions or side effects on your mind and body. Only a fool would think it otherwise!

I listened to the words of this strange man with interest. His way of speech might have been harsh, but I could sense good intentions in the words he spoke. I turned towards him and asked. 

-Could you tell me more, about the force?

This question, and the honest curiosity I put into the words, seemed to shock the three people. The first person who came back to his senses was the green thing... what was he called? Yoda... Yes, that was it.

-You ask to be trained as a jedi? Is this truly what you intend to ask? 

The man called Kenobi, had made a wry smile, as he watched the green being ask that seemingly harmless question. He coughed lightly and added in a silent whisper. 

-With all due respect grandmaster, she is too old to be trained...

There was a moment of silence, and a fierce glance exchanged between the two.

Yoda stated in a light-hearted tone.

-Funny that it is you who remind me of such things, Obi'Wan. What would your master think of us now? Hmm-hmmm...

Kenobi added. 

-I can see your intentions, Master... I have learned, to not be baited into the same trap twice. Don't even think of it... not again.

I was able to realize, that something had gone unsaid between the two, then the green thing nodded and turned back to me. 

-I understand, that you have realized, your wrongdoings, and are ready to accept your punishments, hmm? 

-Yes. 

I answered. 

-Good, very good...

Stated Yoda, then after a short pause continued. 

-You will remain in the temple for now. We will give you a room to use as the only captured suspect of the senator's kidnapping. You will be under the direct authority of Master Windu. He will tell you the details and teach you basic force techniques to help you gain a small measure of control over your abilities. He will also ask you questions about your friends, and their motives later.

-You are not permitted to leave the inner part of the temple without a guard at least on the level of a jedi knight. You will stay here, until the senator is found, and the entire thing is resolved. When the weight of your actions is entirely considered, we will give you a fitting punishment. Now, master Luminara and her padawan, Offee will lead you to your room. For now, it would be prudent, to think over your bad decisions. Regret your misgivings and try to rise above them. Meditate.

-I understand... thank you for your mercy, but I don't intend to betray my friends... 

The terran who was clearly quick to anger shouted at me. 

-Do not push your luck, the only reason we decided to even see you, is that you willingly gave yourself up when you realized what you did. However, regretting it doesn't solve the troubles that appeared as a result of your actions. It is nothing more, but the first step to repair it, and some things are impossible to ever replace, just like lives. In your place, I would pray to the force, that the senator won't die or get seriously harmed nor others. Now scram!

With that, I hastily left the room and didn't even dare to look back. 


After Lily left, back in the room of the jedi high council. There was a thick silence, surrounding the place and a certain tenseness was hovering in the air.

Master Windu was the first one who spoke.

-Grandmaster... would you kindly explain what you are shaming with putting that creature under my care so openly? 

Obi'Wan seemed to understand the situation more clearly than Windu did. Therefore, he answered with a light smile. 

-It was your turn, Master Windu, that is the answer, at least I think so.

-My turn in what exactly? 

-Oh, you will understand soon enough. 

-Kenobi, I have neither the time, nor the patience for your mind games! Give me an answer, NOW!

It was master Yoda who spoke up, however. 

-Do not fret, Master Windu. I simply thought that you should interact more with the younger generation... Most of them think of you as a scary and grumpy man, these isn't my words... mind you.

-Of course, they are not, however, I will state it loud and clear... I don't intend to train another apprentice, especially one that is so old. Did you forget the rules of our order? There is a reason for an age limit...

Obi'Wan intercepted that with a sharp voice. 

-If your intent to say something, master Windu, please do so, however, from my point of view, Anakin has turned out to be an exceptional jedi, you can hardly complain about his age when he started the training with a good conscience, nor will I listen to it anymore.

Windu snorted. 

-Now I can see that the apple didn't fall far from the three... I might have looked for the error in the wrong place all this time.

Kenobi smiled sweetly at that. 

-I absolutely agree with the second part of that notion. Considering that to find the source I suggest looking into the mirror sometimes? 

-YOU!

-Enough, with your bickering. 

Stated the voice of Yoda, as he knocked three times on the floor with his crooked stick. The other two masters became silent immediately.

-Didn't the two of you sense, the force presence of the girl?

The others seemed confused, they thought back, and realized that they were too involved with their personal thoughts and missed the chance to sense her presence properly. Now both of them realized this, and they felt ashamed. 

-I thought so. 

Stated Yoda, while his ears drooped down slightly. 

-Her presence was unique... so unique in fact, that it was impossible to mistake it with any other. 

Obi'Wan remembered the words they exchanged in the meditation chamber not long ago, and his eyes widened. 

-Master, do you mean she is? 

-Yes, she is one of them... Or, if we can trust in her words, she was one of them.

At last, Master Windu's expression has lightened up too, as he said in surprise.

-The Grey Order, she belongs to them! Now I understand... 

Yoda nodded grimly and said closing the argument.

-We will have to try and learn as much knowledge from her about that order as possible. We must try to restore her memory, if it is indeed damaged, but do not force anything. Windu, I trust you with this, as it is an incredibly important mission, and you have my absolute trust, beyond any doubt. Also, for some reason, she was attracted to your presence. 

Windu couldn't say anything to rebuke that observation, as he also felt it to be true. He wisely chose to remain silent. That could not have been said about Obi'Wan however, as he noted with a smirk.

-Yes, I find that hard to believe too... I don't know why...

-...

Just when Windu was about to give an earful to Kenobi, Yoda tapped with his walking stick once more...

-I would like to look forward to a more... substantial conversation from now on, if you don't mind.

-...

-...

 

22