Defend the temple 3 (Shared universe 27.)
396 9 20
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

From the perspective of Lily.


I was panting heavily as the last enemy fell to the ground, unmoving. My bladed appendages were twitching from the unfamiliar sensation of ripping apart flesh and bones. Red blood was covering the floor in large splatters of blood. Death, death was everywhere you turned, bodies on the floor, creating a grotesque sight of mutilation and slaughter. Every part of my mind was feeling revolted by the brutal scene. The thought that it was my doing... I did this, and with such ease and efficiency, as if it was the most natural thing deeply ingrained into my body through basic reflexes.

The moment I decided to fight to the fullest, my body moved with such fluency, springing into action with a deadly coldness. I jumped, moving in a frantic, unforeseeable motion. I ran on the walls, jumped up to the ceiling, then back down with stronger momentum. I jumped on the shoulders of an unsuspecting man, my blades swinging with deathly precision while the blue streaks of the lasers were absorbed and shrugged off my body. The smell of blood filled the entire corridor, covering my form in red layers of said ominous fluid, the lifeblood of the people I ripped apart.

The smell was maddening. My body was aching as my heart raced to the sky from the earlier rush of mad frenzy. Killing, killing before you get killed. It felt wrong to my conscience to simplify the mechanical process of slaughter to such an insignificant extent, but it was how it worked. Killing before being killed. It was the most natural instinct of a zerg, even a half zerg could understand that.

The splattered blood that covered me in a red shroud was slowly being evaporated from the overheated shells of larvae covering my entire skin surface.

I did know what it was called, the strange colorful streaks of blue energy I mean, it was called plasma, but I didn't know what it was or how it worked. Mady had told me that it was dangerous, similar to the blade of a zealot, and that I could understand immediately. 

For that reason, I charged forward with such ferocity, facing the enemy and reaping death among them. The experience was brutal, raw, and horrible. I was utterly disgusted with myself as the body parts flew around. The horrible screams erupted from the throats of those unfortunate enough to meet death by my whizzing blades, cutting and piercing, hitting, cutting then ripping again and again... Pieces of human parts, arms legs, smaller pieces larger ones, hit against the ground with a series of wet splatter. Raw meat, falling on the shiny white marble floor, painting it with wild strokes of deep red. 

The cries of suffering, the screams of unabashed terror, as she massacred them with cold apathy: killing, gutting, ripping. Her face was contorted with wild animalistic emotions, hatred filled her eyes with a burning sense of barely conscious primal fury.

I needed to end it quicker, faster... it was too much. The screams. Stop it, end it already... end it quicker... Then the silence came at last, but the screams... she could still hear them. Who is screaming? Did someone survive? 

There was a hesitant sound behind her. Her face whipped towards the sound in a spring like motion.

I looked back on the corridor towards the direction I came from and saw a familiar face. My chaotic thoughts gradually started to calm down, my reasoning slowly started to come back to me.

I have killed them. The others were safe for now. Everything was alright... I hope that boy is alright, the fool. He tried to pull me back... but if I hadn't attacked, they would have suffered... I needed to do this. Why do I feel so conflicted... it is the most natural thing, to do your best to stay alive, isn't it? 

Then why is this discomfort in my chest... it feels constricted... did.. Did I get hurt? 

I looked down and checked over the surface of my body, but it was properly covered with the glossy shells of larvae... No... I am not hurt. At least doesn't seem like it. 

-Li-... Lily? 

A shocked and hesitant girlish voice appeared behind me. It called out to me, and I turned around once more. Looking into the dark brown eyes of the scared terran girl. Why was she afraid? Are there more enemies? I looked ahead, but it didn't seem like it. 

-Is... is that really you, Lily? Are you alright? 

I was surprised hearing that question. I turned once more back to her, and said with a smile... oh, but she wouldn't see it, as my face was covered by the larvae. I asked my little friends to reveal my face as the immediate danger was not present anymore.

I felt as the small sucker disks which attached every single larvae to my skin surface slowly began to pull back. It was a funny tingling sensation. I had already got used to it, as it was my most effective way of defense. 

The bugs cleared away from my face, and I eventually managed to smile at Kalifa, trying to show her that everything was alright. I also saw some of the other children peeking at me from the corner, fearfully. Why was everybody so anxious all of the sudden? Did I do something bad?

I looked at Kalifa suspiciously and saw that she had unconsciously stepped back when my face was revealed from the cover of larvae. Then I understood it. So it was the larvae which caused them to be on edge. I should have thought about this. Barriss also felt discomfort when she saw them. I could understand it. The sensation of thousands of little hairy legs running on your skin is indeed uncomfortable.

It is strange how easily you forget such things after you get used to it. These larvae were precious to me, after all. They were all that remained from my brood. If I will them to do so, they can turn into any type of zerg, sparing me from the trouble of having to spit out a large egg cluster and almost choke on it, accidentally. 

In a sense, they were vital to my survival. 

I turned back towards the clearly anxious Kalifa and said with a comforting gesture. 

-There is no reason to be afraid. They are my little friends. They would never go against my wishes, so you don't have to worry about their presence.

Kalifa seemed to relax a little, but it didn't last for long. She looked at me suspiciously, her saber tightly in her hand. It was not ignited, but she was ready to light it any moment. She must be really afraid of bugs... I should probably send them back to the meat pockets... I can call on them if the need arises, anyway.

I closed my eyes for a moment and sent out the psionic signal for them to retreat. I felt the tickling sensation running over my skin. Then I felt a bit cold suddenly... was it always so breezy?

I felt a bunch of eyes staring at me all of a sudden. Now what was their problem? 

I looked at Kalifa questioningly and saw that her expression had become strained... She looked kind of funny with that face, but I had no idea what that expression meant... Now her face become rosy too...

 -Ah! 

She shouted suddenly... and jumped forward. I was surprised by her agile movement, as she quickly appeared in front of me, draping her outer jedi robe over my body. My vision was covered for a moment as the cloth was thrown over my head. 

I was not happy with this. Why would she do this... I can't see now... I struggled to pull it off my head, and finally managed to pull it off, it wasn’t that easy… since the thing naturally managed to get stuck on my extra appendages. I even managed to pull it off in a way to not rip it, at least I think so...

-What are you doing? 

I asked, frustrated when I finally managed to disentangle myself from the robe. 

I saw that Kalifa's face was even more frustrated, and she was turning redder by the second. She was seething in her anger, and when she saw that I had pulled off the cloak, she furrowed her brows and began to scold me out of nowhere. 

-You, stop that! Don't you dare to pull that off! In the first place, did you ever think of telling me about your capabilities? That you are basically a one person army and stuff like that!? Your race must be a warrior race or one very accustomed to hunting down extremely dangerous prey. If you would tell us those details, we could have used your help earlier... luckily no one died, but still! You have no idea how much I had to worry about you. I thought you were dead; you fool!

She stepped closer and tried to push the robe over me once more, but I didn't want this and stepped back, which caused her to freeze up, then something seemingly changed in her expression. There was an ominous glint in her eyes and a smile that was making me uncomfortable. 

-You little... Stop acting up, and cover yourself properly... you are in the jedi temple, so stop showing off your naked body so shamelessly! It's a disgrace to the entire temple if you act so shamelessly, don’t you know that!?!

As I heard her words, I finally realized why I was feeling unusually cold... My clothes were basically burned off my body... a few tattered strings and small pieces of undamaged material were all that remained loosely hanging around me randomly. 

-Ah... so that's why I felt cold suddenly... strange, it seems I got used to wearing clothes quite quickly, now it made me feel discomfort if I was naked... 

Kalifa looked at me with a panicked expression. 

-Wh-... whatever you are talking about, stop! There are younger children here... you, you can't... don't tell me, that you are some sort of exhibitionist... 

I leaned my head to the side, feeling confused. What was she talking about? What does that word even mean? 

-What does that word mean... this, ex-hi-bi... I don't remember the rest... 

-It... it means someone who doesn't wear clothes publicly... 

-Ah! I see... but zerg usually doesn't have a proper concept for clothes... there is armor and such, which takes priority. I only got to wear these things recently... but I quite like some of them, they are warm and comfortable, easier to wear then to grow layers of fat to keep you warm in cold weather... Then again, inside a hatchery tunnel like intestines, the air is always kept comfortably warm. You could hear the heart palpitations from anywhere in the tunnels. Hatcheries have multiple hearts, after all.

-... Stop... stop please... you sigh... There is no time for this now. We need to get back to the council hall before other troops find our location.

I blinked and nodded to her. It seemed we were still in a hurry.

-And Lily... thanks for saving us... also cover yourself properly. You are impossible! Didn't you know that it is shameful to showcase your body so easily? 

Lily suddenly remembered a very uncomfortable lesson that Mady had thought to her about the importance of wearing clothes... Mady told her that since she was a girl, she needed to wear proper clothes all the time, when she was in public.

When she asked the reason, Mady told her that because it was the tradition.

When she asked what was tradition, Mady became angry and told her that she needed to do so and because it’s an order from her and that’s it.

When she complained that she doesn't like wearing clothes, Mady snapped, almost screamed off her head. She was really scared, and didn’t dare to argue with her anymore.

Later she even got punished…

She had to kneel in a corner of a room for hours, just because she forgot to get dressed before she came down to eat breakfast. It was the day before they got separated on the mission.

It was really annoying.

I didn't like that experience; I was extremely bored the entire time.

Oh, I forgot to report to Mady for a while now, but it is not the right time to do so... She will be angry, again…

Anyway, I need to cover my body with this cloak, or I will have to kneel in the corner for hours once more... 

After I covered myself reasonably well, I felt a hand touch my shoulder... So I turned. It was Barriss. She seemed kind of dizzy and pale. I looked at her questioningly. 

- So... you did this with all of them? I... Wow, you are strong... Any... anyway, if you don't feel well, after that... you can tell me, I will support you...

I was perplexed.

-Umm, thank you Barriss. Luckily, my armor managed to protect me. 

-Yeah... I could see that, but just tell me if you are not feeling well, after..

She shivered slightly and looked aside. 

-You shouldn't feel responsible. You did it in our place, just know that you can count on us... if there is a next time…

-I... thank you? 

She gave me a quick hug, then passed by me. It seemed that she needs more support than I do at the moment. I turned around and looked at the rest of the kids, and that boy, whose name I didn't even know, came to my mind. Was he alright?

Then I saw him, being carried by two kids, as he was clearly unconscious. There was a small girl too, who was similarly out at the moment. The others were carrying them, as we couldn't wait for them to wake up here. 

The children were giving me sidelong glances from time to time, one of the emotions they showed I recognized, it was fear, but there was something else too, which I didn't know. Once again, I felt a hand grab my wrist gently, pulling me in a certain direction. 

Seeing that the person pulling me was Kalifa, I decided to let it be and followed her good-naturedly. She only spared a quick glance at me and continued to lead me through the corridor, which was still filled with the killed bodies of the enemy. 

To my surprise, some of the kids have picked up the lying around weapons of the dead troopers and brought them with us. I felt Kalifa's hand tighten around mine as she whispered silently. 

-They don't want to be a burden anymore... your actions and courage have inspired them greatly. Without your aid, many would have died here... if not all of us. I... I failed to anticipate the appearance of another clone squad. It would have been my mistake. You saved them from my faulty leadership... Lily, and for that I thank you... even if your eyes are scaring me... you are, you are a good girl.

-... What is wrong with my eyes? 

I glanced at her, feeling self-conscious suddenly. 

-Nothing sighs, nothing really, so don't give me that look... It's just, they are glowing with this scary yellow light... it is, kind of creepy... Ah, sorry I shouldn't have said that... I am quite rude, aren't I?... Saying something like that is even worse...

-Eh? Don't tell me that you like creep? I hate it. It's tasteless... and gluey... Never understood why everybody liked to eat it in the nest... I was even forced to eat it at times... but...

Kalifa suddenly let go of my hand and looked at me with a disgusted face. 

-What are you even talking about?! 

She asked, then when I was about to answer, she raised her palm in front of me and said.

-You know what... I, I think that I don't want to know... yes, definitely not. Now... follow me on your own, don't expect me to pull you all the time, I am not a tow-ship or something like that...

-Okay... but what is a tow-ship? 

-Are you seriously don't know? How old are you, five? 

-Eh? I don't... I am not even a year old. If I were five, I would know a lot, like a lot a lot! Queens that are five years old usually have their own personal brood. I started to build mine, but it was overtaken by a much stronger zerg... It was horrible... She beat me and humiliated me every time she saw me, until I was too afraid to oppose her openly... But, I never give up, and managed to get away from her, and then I was suddenly in the hall of that strange large snail like thing, he was kind, and cool! Gave me a lot of funny clothes for free... I never really got anything for free... I told him that I will pay it back, as I paid back my blood debt too. 

-Blood debt? Snail? That must be a hutt, and you were enslaved by one of your own race? That must have been horrible... was that huge scar on your tummy caused by your enslaver?... Also, what did you say about your age?!

-Ah, it was bad, and no... that was caused by a zealot weapon... I was this close, from dying at that time... but now we are friends.

-What? Did you fall on your head? How could you be friends with someone who almost killed you?! And I seem to be right, your kind is probably very territorial and violent in nature. Which is pretty obvious, otherwise you wouldn't need such scythe like arms growing out of your back... your age... what was that about? 

-We are mostly hive minded beings. The strongest mind controls the rest, but not necessarily directly. We still have different levels of free will. I said that I was less than one-year-old; I don't really know how old I am, actually. Never cared to count the days. I would forget it once and then it would have been for naught... 

Kalifa stopped walking and turned towards me with avid shock. She grabbed me by my shoulders and said in a no nonsense tone.

-Don't try to tell me that you are less than one-year-old... you look at least fourteen to me... 

-Ah, the body of my host is older, but only a few months have passed since I got to use it. I have grown to like this body... even against the initial troubles. 

My shoulders were let go. Kalifa stepped back a few times, while asking worriedly. 

-Host... what... what sort of troubles? 

-Well, it was physically weak, it still is... I made a few adjustments, but... it is not like I can change for another body now... It doesn't work like that...

-SO! ...

Kalifa shrieked a bit louder than necessary, then she realized it and continued with a normal tone. 

-So, you can't just change to one that is more likable to you, right? 

-No, that would simply kill me. I am infused with this body. It is impossible to separate the two... I even have some of the memories from the original owner... I never understood why I can't remember all of them, though.

Kalifa and some of the kids who were listening into our conversation made a relieved sigh... Were they worried about something? How strange...

-Anyway, so you said something about a blood debt to a hutt... right? 

-Ah yes, there was a misunderstanding when we arrived at his palace, and someone accidentally got killed. 

-You seem awfully keen on getting into these types of misunderstandings. How did someone get killed accidentally? 

-Yes... it was unfortunate. We needed to pay credits, in exchange... I managed to pay my part quickly by playing this silly game with a wide variety of aliens, spending their time there. Jabba even told me that I can visit him any time, as he finds my company amusing and beneficial. He is really kind; I told him that I would visit as often as I could. He even gave a permanent room for me in his palace. It is nothing more than a simple little corner, but it is mine. If Mady earns enough money to pay back her part, I think I will stay there a bit. There is such an interesting variety of food there, did you ever try klatooine paddy frog? 

Kalifa seemed kind of interested in what I was telling her and it felt good to have someone that listens. However, when I mentioned the paddy frog, her expression paled somewhat. 

-Oh, I think... I know what you are talking about. There was some roasted on the menu a few days ago... Quite a nasty thing…

My eyebrows jumped up to my hairline as I asked in surprise. 

-Roasted? You should try it raw, or better yet, alive. I never ate anything so juicy!

-What?! Are you for real... ah, never mind... I guess you would like that... huh... I am starting to understand why would a hutt think you to be amusing... 

-Do you? 

-Yes... 

-Oh? 

 

 

20