A gal without credits (Shared universe 38.)
387 3 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A slim figure cloaked in a long raincoat was leaning against a lamppost on the unusually calm and empty surface of Coruscant in the late night hours. The person was standing under the heavy rain while watching a bunch of public holo-devices endlessly repeating the newest sensation happening around the galaxy. A stylish human man appeared in the middle of a slightly transparent blue colored hologram.

Few days after the initial clone attack. The galactic news channels were still blazing with captured videos of the horrendous betrayal of the clones. Pictures and short videos of burning power plants, destroyed republic cities, downed battleships crash landing in the middle of huge metropolises causing the number of injured and dead civilians to skyrocket. Short videos of soldiers battling with each other, while the rescue squads were desperately trying to save lives among the still burning ruins of downed mega ships that flattened entire city districts. The sensation of impacting turbo laser shots has become a constant background noise for the citizens of Coruscant and many other planets. Coruscant was one of the places that had been hit the hardest.

The reason was simple, it was the capital planet of the republic, and there were the most clone troopers stationed to defend it. Troopers that have turned on the people who they were supposed to defend.

Another news outlet next to the already mentioned one was live streaming the currently ongoing ceremonial funeral of almost a hundred jedi, who have fallen on the tragic day. Most of those people whose bodies had been retrieved died in a direct assault on the Coruscant jedi temple, while a few more had been brought home from other planets.

The public seemed to deeply feel for the fallen heroes. The mood was tense and sorrowful even throughout the lower streets of the planet, which gave home to many shady and dark businesses.

It became obvious to everyone, Coruscant was wounded. Both its pride and infrastructure were damaged.

In the first hours of the attack, the clones were only focusing on killing jedi, but this first tendency seemed to change drastically after it became clear that the senate stood on the jedi’s side, and the temple did not fall.

After that, the clones unleashed an attack on the planet’s infrastructure. Luckily, most of the anti air ground defense buildings like ion cannons and stationary turbo laser turrets were manned by the second army personals. That meant they were not controlled by clones.

The reason for this was simple. Planet defending stationary ground units were less likely to be killed in battle. Because the clones didn’t have families and were literally born for the purpose of war, they were the ones that occupied the more dangerous areas in the military.

They were also elite soldiers whose potential would be wasted by positioning them to use stationary defense units en masse. For that purpose, not cloned military personnels were perfectly fine. Since the clones were raised from the money that republican citizens paid in the form of taxes.

Because of this, in the eyes of the civilians, it seemed logical to send clones to serve in the more dangerous areas instead of regular military personnels, which might include their own family members.

This internal military structure that originally served nothing more than a political purpose, pleasing the public and defusing some of the helplessness and worry that the people of the Galactic Republic were going through over this entire stretched out and cruel civil war. Have accidentally proved to be the key element of defending most of the planets over the last two days.

The localized ground defense units of the second army, which were usually chosen from people who lived on the planet they were entrusted to defend, showed great bravery and paid huge sacrifices to gain time.

Time that was needed until the regular army, the reservists and volunteers have been effectively mobilized.

At this time, many ground and space skirmishes played out around the galaxy, between clones and other factions. Which included mercenary groups, militia, or regular army units. It was a time of chaos, one that the galaxy might have never seen, and will definitely not forget in the foreseeable future.

Strangely enough, behind the chaos that played out on the surface, a weird sense of unity began to form among the usually disagreeable people.

That were the people of the Galactic Republic. Facing the great danger that the Sith represented, in the shadow of uncertainty, fear pressuring them, they seemed to stick together and stand up to defend their homes against this mysterious enemy. The enemy that wore the face of their Ex-Chancellor.

The man, who now seemed to have the largest bounty on his head in the history of the galaxy. The man who betrayed trillions of people, and lived to tell the tale. The man who is called Sheeve Palpatine, also known as Darth Sidious, a Master of the mythical Sith Order that was believed to have been destroyed a thousand years ago.

The Jedi Council has revealed to the public that their two year long investigation has proven that the Chancelor was indeed a Sith master planning to take over the galaxy, and rule over it by himself.

Them trying to confront him about this suspicion led to the immediate betrayal of the clones. This also proves that the clones were also manipulated by him, through the inhibitor chips that were found in the deep scenes and autopsy of killed and captured clone troopers. It also showed that removing the inhibitor chip through operation will cause the clones to turn back into their normal self.

The Senate has shown this evidence to the Kaminoan representative who still deny the accusations of being part of this galaxy wide conspiracy. Meanwhile, any and all communication has been cut short by the planet Kamino itself.

Speculations are going wild on the holo-net. The people are suspecting that the clones have taken over the planet entirely.

As the rain began to pour even harsher, the cloaked figure slowly began to move.

-From the perspective of Mady-

Ridiculous, simply ridiculous. I have been thrown into a completely different galaxy, yet the situation is almost entirely the same as it is back home. Is war the only thing intelligent beings care about?

I shook my tired shoulders as the strap of the heavy sniper rifle hidden under the raincoat was painfully cutting into my skin. It was cold out here, and I had little to no money to spare. The fact that the world was going crazy, and the prices were skyrocketing, didn’t help my situation at all.

Rark was dead, and that stupid protoss seemed to also kick the bucket. I will admit that I never expected either of them to die… They were supposed to be better than that. However, both of them were stupid men in the end. Bastards should have just run away, when the situation was getting tight, but of course, they couldn’t do something so simple… instead of playing hero and dying like fools.

-Fucking retards, all of them!

I hit the wall next to me scaring away a bunch of cats… or cat like… things… what the fuck were those, really? This galaxy doesn’t even have normal cats?

I winced, sensing the pain pulsing through my fist. I pulled back my arm. Seeing the blood on my knuckles, I sighed, realizing that my anger had gotten the better of me. I felt even more frustrated with the situation.

I suddenly sensed a presence walking towards me in the dark alleyway. I turned towards the other similarly cloaked figure, narrowing my eyes, and grabbing the handle of the blaster gun with the silvery engravings.

Yes, it once belonged to Rark, and after that encounter, I had to realize the effectiveness of these weapons that were using plasma. My eyes caught the sharp silvery shine momentarily blinking out from the cover of my cloak.

It was the moon like shine of that strange metal which Rark used to cover the upper part of his arm… From what I saw at the destroyed pub; the fool had managed to blow himself up… even after his body was completely disintegrated by the blast, the few pieces of silvery armor were still left behind laying among the ruins without as much as a scratch.

So… well, I believe he wouldn’t mind me using it instead of some lowly thug. Even if he does… well, he will better learn to deal with it.

The suspicious figure on the other end of the alley seemed to freeze, seeing the business end of a blaster gun appearing under the edge of my cloak, and also pointing in his direction.

I called out to him loud and clear.

-What do you want?

My translation unit naturally translated my words to galactic basic or whatever their language was called.

-Oh, oh… no need to point a gun at this innocent rodiaaan… I am gooood, you see, even my name is good! I am Breebnunga Good, and I was just meaning to ask, if you want some death sticks, to chase away the gloom of this rainy night for goood! I mean no harm, my beautiful and lovely lady…

I was about to suggest this bastard to get his legs under him before I decided to poke his already bulged eyes out with his shitty death sticks… but before I could say that, a sense of familiarity hit me.

That name… I have heard it somewhere before… Breebnunga Good… and he even said that he was a rodian… yes, it was the guy who Jabba wanted us to capture… I smiled slyly in the shadow of my cloak. It seems lady luck didn’t leave me completely just yet.

Therefore, I changed my initial remark, and said while acting relieved and happy.

-Did you say… death sticks? Y-yes! I was waiting for someone like you. Good sir!

The man smiled greedily and walked closer to me, completely dropping his guard. The happy and satisfied smirk did not last long, unfortunately for him. As I grabbed one of his antennas and knocked his head against the wall, effectively knocking the fool senseless, and that was definitely for good.

I watched his body tumble down to the ground while thinking. So… where was the closest bounty hunter station? And how am I exactly going to get this bastard back there?

-Aww… fuck me! Should have thought about that before I knocked him out! It seems I am too used to working with a team… I never thought that I would miss that muscle headed Tod. Whatever, you are a big gal, Mady… time to haul some ass!

Sigh…

But before I got to it, in a last moment of frustration, I decided to kick the bastard in the ass. Not that it woke him or anything… but I felt a bit better. After that, I took his money. He could keep his death sticks… and I was feeling even better all of a sudden.

At least until I managed to lift the fool.

-Ughh!

I literally gagged.

-How could something smell so vile? Fucking hell! You better be worth it, or I swear that I will fucking kill you! Ew…

-Approximately 45 minutes later.-

After I dropped that smelly piece of crap across the floor in front of the counter at the bounty exchange location, I literally collapsed into the first free seat in the rundown building.

I was breathing heavily, covered in water and sweat. My back was hurting like hell, I could still smell that foul dead fish like smell, and the strap of the sniper rifle that I carried under the weight of that smelling bastard had rubbed my skin bloody between my tits. And that was not helping to lift my mood. I mean… the ghost issued coverall was not exactly known for providing defensive capabilities… It was meant to hide you and keep you hidden as long as possible, that's it.

I did not have anything else on me besides the coverall under the rain cloak, the silver metal plates tied to my right hand and a blaster pistol strapped to my right thigh. The reason for that was pretty straightforward.

If you wear clothes above your psionic wave reinforcing ghost jumpsuit, you will have to put extra effort into making them invisible…

That means your psionic energy will be drained quicker and your invisibility will be less effective, while placing a larger burden on your mind, tiring you out and making you more suspectible for making mistakes. And if your psionic presence is not strong enough, you might not even be able to cloak yourself at all.

Luckily, the ghost suit had some built in ventilation and even heating capabilities, otherwise you would be in big trouble if the weather was cold or the opposite and you were supposed to wait for a target outside for days. It even stores away your sweat, filtrates it and stores it in small water pockets that you can sip out if shit hits the fan.

In short, for a ghost, this gear was not simply a tool… it was part of your body… one that you only took off when you absolutely must…

For me personally, I feel an extreme sense of anxiety and discomfort every time I take it off. Susan is the same, if not even worse in that regard. Damn… I hope she is alright…

Suddenly I heard a pair of evenly closing steps, and I pulled myself together, turning in the direction of the incoming… protocol droid? Yeah, I guess this model was called something like that…

The clumsy thing walked up to me and said in a polite manner that only a droid could pull off at a time when the republic was on the brink of an economic collapse.

-Madam, after careful analysis, we have determined that the target you brought in is indeed the infamous Breebnunga Good.

Huh… at least it wasn’t just his namesake. That would have been awkward…

-Unfortunately, most of your payment has been seized by the hutts, as it turns out that you owed them quite the amount of money.

What the fuck!? Oh… oh my god… I have totally forgotten about that shit! Did I do all this for nothing? Aaaaa!

I was already screaming in my head, but the droid would just not shut up!

-Luckily, you do not owe them anymore since you received extra payment for each death stick found in Good’s pockets. He had exactly two hundred thirty five deathsticks on him. It is a surprising number, even if they usually sell them in stacks of ten or twenty. Most hunters usually keep those to sell them on the black market, it is praiseworthy to meet someone who brings them back.

… I stopped my internal screaming hearing the news and looked up from my depressed state. That was good. I wouldn’t have bothered to sell them myself in the first place…

I continued to listen to the droid’s monologue.

-The rest of your credits have already been sent to your personal bank account. The hutts joyously sent their regards, stating that they are looking forward to doing business with you again, in the future. Thank you for your work, madam.

Fucking slimy piece of shits… next time I do business with one of them, will be when I add a bullet-hole to their grotesque head.

I nodded to the droid, feeling drained, both physically and mentally.

It told me a polite goodbye and walked away to do who knows what.

I checked my account, and saw that the money I eventually received was about 150 credits… it was not much, but I was already happy to have any credits on my account. I also had about two hundred credits in my pocket that I took from Good. With this I could get by for some time… especially if I don’t have to pay for room rental, and for that I already had an idea.

I rested a few more minutes, then tightened my cloak around me and left in the direction of a certain restaurant.

13