Vol 1: Ch 12 – Spirits
1.6k 6 27
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Last Edit: 9/2/19

Martel, Morgan, and Shiro all froze at the unexpected voice. It carried no real emotion, so no one was afraid, only surprise. However, what surprised Martel most was that he recognized the voice as the one that had spoken when he was in between Albion and Earth.

After a couple of seconds, Martel adopted a humble manner and spoke. “We have come with questions to find the one who has answers. I ask you, will you allow our passage?”

“Haha. Unlike my last guest, you have manners. Come in, for you have sought me and I have called you.”

Musty air filled their noses as the three of them entered what reminded Martel of South American ruins. After they had descended some distance, they came to a vast open area. In the back, there was a humanoid being. To call him a human would be incorrect. He sat upon a throne molded from a gigantic tree. The humanoid was easily ten feet tall, and his body did not look as if it consisted of flesh. His face appeared to be a mask, although one could see it change shape with his expression. It was as if the mask itself was his face. His body was covered in armor which gave an aura of intimidation.

“So tell me, what does a descendant of Artoria, a Demihuman, and a young man from another world, want from me?”

“Answers I should hope; for the many questions that I have.”

“Tell me, why should I answer your questions? Why should I give knowledge to those who forget so quickly, like the basics of what you call Magic.”

“Are you referring to the fact that there are only two schools of Magic? Or that they have been misnamed?” Martel immediately asked.

“What?” Morgan asked in shock.

Even the mask expressed a hint of surprise. “Oh? Perhaps you are more than meets the eye. Tell me, what is it that you precisely mean?”

“It dawned on me when I heard that the sword Gram was a sort of Creation. Having wielded Magic for myself, I cannot see any reason why every person should not be capable of any of the elements. Thus, I theorized that, in fact, all of them belong to the Creation branch and that this Creation branch was not limited to just the elements. This ring is evidence of that. Finally, given this information, Holy does not correctly define it. As a result, I theorized that Holy is Creation, and Darkness is Destruction. Tell me? How did I do?”

The giant man had a greater look of shock upon his mask. “To think that you would be able to correctly guess it with that information. Very commendable.”

“Wait a minute!” said Morgan, clearly unable to hold herself back any longer. “If that is true, then everyone can use any type of Magic! Then how come I can’t use Healing Magic and what’s the point of the Magical test? What is the value of being a Le Fay?”

“Haha. It seems that Artoria’s descendants lack manners.”

“Not all of them thankfully,” Martel replied. “However, these are some questions I have only speculated on, and I too wish to know the answers, should you know them.”

“I do. Everyone has the potential to use Magic. The only limitation is the self, the being’s will, and imagination. The Magical test that you refer to is, in fact, correct. It shows that you have the aptitude for both Creation and Destruction. However, when it comes to the distinct branches, that is not a test of aptitude, but emotion. Emotion is the fuel for Magic. Different emotions fuel different Magics. However, imagination and understanding can increase efficiently. Regardless, the end result is that overusing Magic can cause fainting as I am sure you are aware. As to being Le Fay, if you believe yourself inferior, then you will be. In fact, the only thing holding them back is themselves.”

“I… I see.”

“This is very interesting,” Martel said. “You keep mentioning the name Artoria, who is this?”

“She was the one from another place who came as an infant, blessed with strong Ki. She came as if to combat the Darkness. Her name was Artoria Sigurd. She was married into the Le Fay’s which brought their name to further providence. I bestowed her Gram, forged with and by my remaining five children. With it, she defeated the Black Dragon and thus was given the name Pendragon.”

I can’t believe this.” Morgan said in shock.

Martel was slightly surprised that Arthur was actually a female by the name Artoria. “That is an interesting twist. However, I would now like to ask my own questions seeing as my companion is now at a loss for words. First off, let me introduce myself. I am Martel, and as you have said, I am from another world. What is your name?”

“I do not have one per se. It is not a name, but what I am; The first, Yggdrasil.”

“Oh? Then can I take it to mean that your wooden throne is also a part of you?”

A surprised expression struck Yggdrasil’s mask. “Yes, that is the case.”

“What do you mean by ‘the first’?”

“I awoke in the black nothingness. I am uncertain as to whether I created this world, its existence came to be because of me, or we appeared together.”

“I see. Who are your children?”

“They were referred to as the Spirit Kings. They are the primary cause for the belief in the elemental schools of Magic. Each one of them represented an element of this world.”

“What do you mean when you say that Gram was made with your five children?”

“That… That is a long story. Before it was the Black Dragon, it was a being bent on Destruction. Against my wishes, the Spirit King of fire fought against it and was both consumed and corrupted. The result was the creature coming into being, which was known as the Red Dragon. My child, corrupted and wounded, lay hidden away within the mountains gathering his strength. In response to this and the impending doom, my remaining five children sacrifice themselves to create Gram. They forged it as a sword as a tribute to their sibling of fire.”

“What is a spirit?”

“They are embodiments of emotion. The emotions of those who have them, given form. With them, several things can be done. For example, that ring you wear. Within it lies a Spirit of Desire. The Magic of that ring is simple. The one who created it had a desire to create understanding. Using the spirit and the ring is a medium, it utilizes the emotional energy from the individual wearing it to fuel its ability; understanding. I believe you are using this to now converse with me.”

“I am. I do have more questions. While I have heard of the Black Dragon that was defeated, I have never heard of the Red Dragon. Tell me, what was his fate?”

“Her mind was corrupted, and she took up the name Fafnir. Now she lays in hiding, healing her wounds until she would gain the strength to attack the black dragon. I fear that time will be soon.”

“Oh? How soon?”

“Possibly this year or decade. It is impossible to know for sure.”

“That is troubling. Tell me, what happened to Gram?”

“Artoria had it with her until her death, I believe. As to the exact location, I am unaware.”

“Interesting. This will require more research and possibly a trip to Roxburghshire.”

“Now then, I have some questions for you. Tell me, you who do not belong here, will you fight the darkness that will come?”

“I intend to.”

“Why?”

“To protect what I have here; what is precious to me.”

“What is the Darkness?”

“I cannot say with certainty.”

“Then what about the Demihumans whom your kingdoms fight against?”

“They are as much a victim as we are. As we are on that note, where did they come from, and why do you seem to protect them with your spirits?”

“How perceptive. They come from another continent across the waters of which the people of this land know not. I protect them because of the innocent that are among them, the same as the humans.” His gaze moved over toward Shiro, then back at Martel. “I believe you to like-minded, given your company now.”

“As you say. Then too as what is Darkness, I say this. The Darkness is this war between them, bred by fear. The Darkness corrupted the Spirit King of Fire, who is now a Dragon and will appear again. Those are the Darknesses that I will face against.”

“Will you allow my aid?”

“Of course.”

“Then come here.” 

Martel approached the giant man as he touched Martel on his forehead with his giant finger. Basic information was given to Martel. 

“What I have given you is the understanding and power to control the emotions or spirits. You may use this knowledge to supplement your own mental state for use in Magic. Positive emotion fuels Creation, negative fuel Destruction. But be warned. To take emotions is to take it upon yourself. Do not get lost in its power.”

“Wait a minute, Martel,” Morgan interrupted. “If Destruction is Darkness Magic, then that is forbidden. It is an evil Magic.”

“I do not believe so Morgan. Please keep this a secret from most, but it is not that simple. I believe the reason why it became forbidden was for two reasons. Firstly, the fuel was a negative emotion. If ancient Magicians could use the spirits, they would take the negativity emotions upon themselves. This left them vulnerable. Secondly, Destruction is what we all fear. I imagine that its users drove those who couldn’t use it, or who it was used against, to fear. Thus, it became forbidden. I wish to make myself clear on this matter. There is no such thing as an evil power. Even what you would call Holy power can be evil based on how it is used. All power corrupts. Some easier than others. What is evil is not the power itself, but the price for wielding it and what it is used for. Power is power, what defines it is the person who wields it.”

“But-”

“A fascinating outlook, boy.” Yggdrasil interrupted. “While I cannot confirm it, I can also not deny it.”

“Then let me ask you this. Is it not true that the fuel is also not as simple as positive and negative emotions? Is the root of what is Creation love and the root of Destruction fear? And that the emotions that these cause, happiness, contentment, hatred, anger, are its branches which can also be used?” Martel asked.

“That… Is an interesting theory. And it is one that I too believe in. However, I cannot be entirely convinced that it is a simple as that.”

“And I will agree with that. The world is not as black and white as we would all hope.”

“At any rate, I shall give you my final aid should you so choose. Would you take my daughter with you?”

Martel was shocked by the strange question. “What do you mean?”

From around Yggdrasil’s side, a little girl who looked to be no more than 10 or 11 years old came out. Her skin was very white contrasted with her jet black hair, which was long for her size. She wore a black one piece, but nothing else. The part that caused everyone to be surprised was that she appeared to be completely human.

“This is my daughter. As I am the beginning and first, she is ninth and final. She is as I, of Creation and Destruction. I taught her to appear as though she is human, though she is not. She is as I, a mass of positive and negative spirits with a soul; a soul of those who did not experience their first, giving them a second chance at life. As my children and I bestowed Gram to Artoria, I grant her to you, Martel.”

“Uhh, Thank you? Not to be rude, but how exactly will she be an asset to me?” Martel asked with a puzzled look on his face.

“Will you catch me?” The little girl asked in a sweet and innocent voice.

“Yes?” She jumped into the air and became black dust. The dust quickly traveled to Martel’s hand and took the form of a black engraved sword. “Wow.” Martel couldn’t help but say.

“Will this be helpful to you?” The girl, now a sword, asked with a disembodied voice.

“I believe so. However, are you limited to just the sword?”

The sworded turned back to dust again before it turned into the girl again. “I can become any object or tool within the limitation of a certain amount of mass.”

“I take it back, you will be incredibly useful. Is it really all right?” Martel asked both of them.

“It is why I created her when you first appeared. She is meant to be with you.”

“I shall fulfill my purpose.” The little girl said.

“Oh? Then it would be very rude of me to reject your resolve.” Martel replied. After he had thought for a moment, he got close and went to her eye level. “If this is what you truly desire, to be my sword and shield, then I shall do the same for you and be the place where you belong. Is that satisfactory?” He asked as he extended his hand with a smile.

“Okay.” She said as she took her hand with her expressionless face, yet Martel could tell she was happy.

“What is your name?”

“Name?” She tilted her head, innocently. “I don’t have a name.”

“I see. Can I give you a name?”

She nodded her head.

“Let’s see. Excalibur isn’t really a name, much less a girls name. I know. Cali, your name is Cali.”

“Okay, I am Cali.”

“Take care of her, please,” Yggdrasil said.

“I intend to.” Martel looked over at Shiro and Morgan. Morgan had a look of disapproval on her face. “What is it?” Martel asked her.

“Nothing, you pervert.”

“Yes, yes, Goldie. Yggdrasil, I believe that we will be taking our leave. We still have a good half day’s travel left before we need to make camp, and I feel it pertinent to be back soon.”

“Very well. I beseech you, do not speak of me to anyone that you do not trust to keep my existence in confidence. I should not want more attention than necessary.”

“That can be done. Thank you for your assistance.”

“I hope you use it well.”

With that, they left and traveled back for the rest of the day before they made camp.

End of Day -206

 

In the morning, Morgan woke to a familiar sight. She saw Martel’s face dangerously close her own. Morgan looked down and expected to see him shirtless, but something had blocked her view. More specifically, that something was a head of black hair. Upon further inspection, she realized that the figure in between her and Martel did not have any clothes on.

“What the heck?!” She exclaimed.

“mnn, why so noisy?” Martel asked as he woke up.

“What do you think you doing with her?”

Martel looked down at her before his eyes snapped back up. “Well well well, what have we here?” He said before he kissed Cali on the forehead. Then he looked at Morgan. “Well? Don’t be shy.” He reached out, grabbed, and forcibly kissed Morgan’s forehead too.

“What was that for?”

“Oh? I was under the impression that you enjoyed it.” He said as he teased her.

“D-don’t change the subject. Why are you sleeping with a naked girl!”

He looked down at her. “Why is that Cali?”

“I don’t like clothes; uncomfortable.”

“That is true. Unless it’s cold, I like to sleep without a shirt. However, sleeping naked isn’t really okay unless you are sleeping alone or with a spouse.”

“I can’t?”

“Not with him!” Morgan exclaimed.

“Difficult.”

“Can you put some clothes on, please?”

“Okay.” She said as she materialized her black dress.

“That is really convenient,” Martel said in admiration. 

Cali looked at him while she touched her forehead and tilted her head. “Why did you do that?”

“That? Oh, the kiss?”

“Kiss?”

“It’s the way I’ve decided to thank the girls that I like,” Martel said with a wink and smile.

“I see.” She said. Then she leaned over to him and kissed his forehead.

“Why did you do that?” He asked her.

She tilted her head in confusion. “I like you. No good?”

Morgan couldn’t take it any longer and gave Cali a big hug. “You’re just so cute!”

“You did an excellent job holding yourself back, Goldie.” Martel said.

“Shut up pervert.”

“Yes, yes. At any rate, Morgan, I want you to try something.” Martel took out a knife and cut his arm. “Heal this.”

“What are you saying?”

“You heard Yggdrasil did you not? You can use healing Magic too.”

“I don’t think I can.”

“And that is the reason why you cannot. Did you know that Freyja is envious of you? Even as gifted as she is, she knows your latent ability is higher still. I believe you can do it, and I know she would too.”

“But…”

“No excuses. Just imagine my wound healing.”

“Fine.”

After about ten seconds, the wound finally healed.

“See, you can do if you try.”

“Wow, I really did it!” Morgan exclaimed with joy.

With that happy thought, the four of them began to eat breakfast. Cali did not require food, but she said she can still taste it, so Martel encourages her to try it. After a little while, she began to eye Shiro, who sat on Martel’s lap as she purred.

“Why are you sitting on him?” She asked Shiro.

“This is my special seat,” Shiro said with a big smile as Martel patted her head.

Cali tilted her head.” Can I sit there?”

“No!” Shiro responded immediately and defensively.

“Now now Shiro,” Martel said. “Remember she is only four months old. I think it’s okay to let her sit here if she wants too from time to time.”

“But… But this is my seat.” Shiro said with sad eyes.

“Please? I want you two to get along and be friends. Remember, she’s being separated from her father and has no family. She’s going to need people that will be there for her.”

“I… I guess.”

“My turn?” 

Shiro nodded her head and gets up sorrowfully being replaced by Cali.

“I like it here,” Cali said after a little while.

“That’s good,” Martel said as he patted her head.

“That feels good,”

Morgan, who obviously had enough of the scene, looked away in apparent protest.

“Cali, I think it is about time you get off my lap.”

“Why?”

“Because it seems the Princess wants a turn.”

“Like hell!”

End of Day -205

 

The journey back was filled with similar events. Morgan was happy when she finally made it back to her warm bed. Although… Although every morning seemed a little lonelier from then on.

27