Vol 2: Ch 1 – The Role of a King
1.5k 1 22
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
 
Last Edit: 9/2/19

“Your Majesty, would you truly allow a wholly unnecessary war to continue at the cost of innocent lives?”

“Not a single one of those monsters are innocent!”

“So you would condemn them for only being different from you?”

“They have killed many men.”

“Yes, an average of 10 men per year in a war that has lasted 50 years. I am offering you a way to feed your people and save lives, yet you insist on taking them? Your brother is far more understanding.”

“Do not mention that traitor to me! That bastard who considers himself their King? You want peace? Fine, kill him.”

“... I assure you, when this is over I will have killed a king.” Martel darkly said as he left the palace of the King of Roxburghshire. As Martel exited the palace, he saw some welcome and friendly faces.

The first one to catch his eye was the Golden-haired Princess of Camelot, Morgan. Her face was youthful, betraying her 16 years of age. Despite her appearance, she was one of the most competent mages in the known world of Albion.  

Next to her was a white-haired girl between the ages of 12 and 13 named Shiro. To call her cute would be an understatement as, when dressed in a certain way, she appearance akin to a doll. Contrary to looks, she was not human. She was one of the Demihumans with whom Roxburghshire had fought against for the past 50 years. The only features that were different from a human were her cat ears and tail, which she kept hidden in her clothing.  

Adjacent to her was a girl appearing to be about ten years of age named Cali. Even more so than Shiro, she could be described as a doll. Her hair was long and black, which complemented her black dress. However, this was her personal preference, as she was also not human. She was a being comprised of many Spirits, which were the physical manifestations of emotions. Despite her appearance, she came into being not even six months ago. Those emotions could be used as a source of fuel for the ability referred to as magic. This allowed her to change her body into different forms within a certain limitation.  

Nearby was a young man who sported hair as black is hers by the name of Duran, Prince of the Kingdom of Camelot and elder brother of Morgan. Unknown to him, he would become the next King though he was second in line. At Martel’s approach, they made their way to him.

“Are you okay, Martel?” Shiro asked with cutely with concern. “You are making a scary face, what happened?”

“Oh? I imagine I’ll be okay if Morgan hugs me.” Martel replied as his dark expression turned into a slight grin as he teased Morgan.

“No way,” Morgan replied as she pridefully looked away.

“I see. Then I shall have to settle for a kiss.” Martel continued as he slightly advanced towards her.

“W-w-what are you talking about? K-k-kissing? You shouldn’t do something like kissing me!” She exclaimed in a panic as she shrinks away while her cheeks began to blush.

Martel stopped his advance, puzzled by Morgan’s reaction. Usually, she’d say something like ‘like hell!’ and punch him in the face. 

“Giving your in the mood to joke around, I take it wasn’t so bad,” Duran said to move the topic back on track.

“Unfortunately, that isn’t the case. While it isn’t the worst-case scenario, it most assuredly isn’t the best.”

“Well, what happened? You disappeared for a couple of hours the other day from the siege and when you returned you told us we had to talk to the King. I know you well enough to know that you don’t do things without reason; I am just stating my curiosity.”

“Remember the Demon King, the leader of the Demihumans? Well, Shiro arranged a meeting between us.”  

At his words, the Royal siblings eyes shot wide.

“Seriously? What happened?” Morgan asked.

“He showed up with his daughter, we exchanged words, and then he requested a duel.”

“You fought with the Demon King?” Duran asked out of surprise and curiosity. “How strong was he?”

“Pretty strong, for a human.”

“Wait a moment, human? You’re telling me the leader of the Demihumans is a human?”

“Not just any human, I’m afraid.” A new voice comes from behind them. A beautiful, well-dressed woman who had Golden hair like Morgan and a crown upon her head approached.

“Auntie Morgan, it is good to see you,” Duran said.

“Likewise nephew, niece.” She said to Duran and Morgan before she turned to Martel. “I apologize for my husband, the King. Hero Martel, I ask for your forgiveness towards his behavior and pray that you abate your anger.” She said humbly.  

Martel knew she was sincere. “Oh, I’m not angry. Frustrated, not angry. Trust me; you would know if I was angry.”

“It is not a pleasant thing,” Duran interjected.

“As for your apology, while it does pain me, I cannot accept it. Less the person in question asks for forgiveness and show their desire for it; it is a policy of mine never to forgive. However, I will wash my hands of him.”

“That… Is a unique way of thinking.”

“I find that I have a different way of thinking from those even from my world.”

“So then it is true you came from a different world?”

“Yes, I was teleported into your niece’s bed from my own.”

“Don’t remind me!” Morgan said, her face became even redder.

Duran cleared his throat. “I apologize for interrupting, but what do you mean when you say that he is not just any human?”

The Queen’s face took a sorrowful expression and did not seem as though she wishes to speak, so Martel said what she did not want to. “He is your Uncle-In-Law, Tom a Lincoln, who was declared killed in action approximately 19 years ago. It was he who I fought two days ago.” Martel said before he went into detail about what transpired that day.

[“Martel had just claimed victory in a duel against the Demon King. In his eagerness to test out the technique he had devised, he accidentally caused more damage than he had intended. The Demon King’s shoulder was burnt and his mask, which covered most of his face, began to break to reveal his crimson hair and his bleeding ear.  

Martel made his way towards him and began to speak. “Now then, let me heal you so we can converse in a manner befitting the status of Your Highness Tom a Lincoln, King of the Demihumans, Prince of Roxburghshire, brother to its King.”

“That would be appreciated,” Tom said as he groaned from the pain. “I do not have any healers to spare, unfortunately.”

“Wait just a minute!” A female voice rang out. A beauty with crimson hair tied in looped ponytails to the sides of her head by the name of Caelia runs out toward him. Due to her dark elf half, her body was generously proportioned, and her face was slightly sharper and more refined than an average human.

“At the very least, let me observe what you do.” She said a little angry. It was quite clear that her father’s loss had affected her pride.

“It’s okay Big Sis,” Shiro said to Caelia as she came up from behind Martel. “You can trust Martel.”

Caelia looked very unimpressed. “I understand that you trust him, but I still don’t.”

“That’s fine, I’m not asking you to trust me,” Martel said as he started to treat Tom. His Healing Magic had improved at an impressive rate though it still did not compare to his beloved, Freyja. This was mostly because knowledge and understanding helped in the magical process. Because he had superior knowledge of the human body, especially compared to the residents of Albion, and knew he wanted to heal the eardrum specifically and not simply the ear lessened the emotional energy required.

“How is your hearing in this ear?” Martel asked Tom after he had finished his ear and had moved to his shoulder.

“Aside from the ringing, it seems to be back to normal. First, your insane amount of Ki, then your technique using lightning, and now you can use the complicated healing magic. I suppose the title of Hero isn’t just for show.”

“It depends on your definition of Hero. At any rate, there are some things that I wish to know. I had heard you were killed in a skirmish with the Demihumans.”

Tom nodded his head. “I was. It’s a bit of a long story. I was leading a squad of 50 men to scout where we believed a group of Demihumans was. They were there, and they ambushed us upon entering the forest. Over half of my men ran on the spot, the rest were killed, and I was left for dead; wounded. The next thing I remembered, I remembered nothing. I awoke without my memories. All around me were the bodies of my fellow soldiers. I lifted myself as pain wracked my body. When I looked around, I saw three figures. One of which was charging towards me. Her skin was ebony, her eyes brown, her hair white. Her face was sharp, her ears pointed, and she moved with an eloquence that stunned me. I did not move as her blade slashed towards me, stopping just before my neck.

‘Why do you not move?’ She asked me.

‘I do not think it possible for me to move out of the way of such a quick attack.’ I replied.

She looked at me in puzzlement. ‘You were just as fast as me when I cut you down.’

Just as puzzled, I responded. ‘I… I do not remember. Where am I? Who… Am I? My name? My name is Tom, but… but I remember nothing else.’

Upon realizing that I had lost my memories, she took pity on me. Thankfully, she was highly influential and powerful among the other Demihumans, so they reluctantly agreed to my house arrest. Then, she cared for my wounds and… Let’s say Caelia was conceived on the night of a full moon.”

“Father!” Caelia exclaimed, clearly embarrassed as her face began to match the color of her hair.

“Haha. I exceeded her standard, so she took me as a husband though there were many against it. I, who was so entranced by such a wonderful woman, could not refuse. Then, about seven years ago, she took ill. She passed away three years after that. During the first year of her illness, five years ago, I awoke with my memories. Thankfully I did not lose the memories of my life among the Demihumans. Recalling my experiences with them and thinking of my wonderful daughter and wife, I made my way back to Roxburghshire to meet with my brother, the King.  

“When I attempted to explain that we didn’t need to fight each other and what had transpired, he immediately called me a traitor and tried to arrest me. After I had gained trust among the Demihumans, they trained me in their martial arts, including Gentle Touch. Thanks to that, I was able to incapacitate the guards and make my escape, even with my wounds. Upon my return, I offered my help to the Demihumans.  

“Many were skeptical at first and thought it was a trap. However, by the time we had taken the fourth supply wagon, most began to believe me, and I became a de facto leader. In an attempt to get peace talks with my brother, I captured his newly completed Fort. I never would’ve imagined that I would be reunited there with Little One, excuse me, Shiro, who we believed to be dead. On that note, I must thank you for taking such good care of her.”

“It has been my pleasure. She has been an excellent companion and sparring partner.” Martel replied with a smile.

“She has grown much since I last saw her. At any rate, the rest I’m sure you’re aware. So what is it you intend to do?”

“I shall attempt to bring the King in for peace talks. Tell me; I have a theory that the primary reason for this war. Is it, and the kingdom merger, d food shortage due to the food shortage?”

Tom took a second to think. “I cannot say for certain. I, who was considered a fighting genius, focused solely on my training in the sword. I left the government for those who wished to govern. However, I do recall such a conversation at some time. That can be the case.”

“Then, my bargaining chip shall be to ensure the minimal costs of food from Camelot and new agricultural methods, which will increase the efficiency of their crop yields. I know that such a long war will only harbor resentment for each other. Hopefully, both sides will agree that the lives of their people are more important than a grudge.”

“I believe the Demihumans will take that stance. While they have killed, most of them are of the persuasion that we should only pacify. They do not want the fear that comes when exiting the forest.”

“That is understandable. Is there anything you want to add?”

Tom hesitated. “Yes. My brother is very hostile towards me. I believe he feels threatened by my existence, so peace may be hard to come by. He probably wants me dead, if the fact that I barely managed to escape alive was any indication.”

“Tom, what do you want out of this?”

“Peace so that there will be no more victims. So long as there is peace, there is hope for friendly relations in the future.”

“I understand, then I shall be off, your highness. Pray that I shall return with good news.”

“I shall.”

Martel turned to, approached, and snatched Celia’s had before she could react. “I hope to see you again as well, Princess,” He said as he kissed her hand.

The shock was visible on her face, and Martel correctly guessed that she had little immunity towards men.  

Aside from her and Shiro’s father, Caelia didn’t have many positive interactions with men. As a half-human, she was ostracized along with her father. Though the situation was now better, she still avoided others often. This gave her no experience towards men, and it didn’t help that Martel decided to tease her. 

Tom chuckled as he realized Martel had teased her intentionally as he watched her face turn red.

“I-idiot!” She finally managed to get out. “You already have Little Sis saying she wants to have your baby and you still do things like this?”

Martel slyly smiled at her response. “Princess, I am simply extending the utmost courtesy to such a beautiful lady like you.” Caelia’s face became even redder. “Now then, I believe it is time for Shiro and myself to take our leave. Can you leave someone to keep an eye on this area for when I return? If I do, it will most likely be in the very early morning.”

“I can do that.”

With a simple goodbye, the two groups separated.”]

 

“That’s about it,” Martel said as he finished his story.

“To think he was still alive,” Duran said under his breath. “While I can say I can sympathize with the King, I side for peace in this matter. This war has gone on far too long. They are not the monsters we make them out to be. Even if they were, it is because that is what we made them. The best thing is to ensure the lives of those still living.”

“Well Duran, you appear to have put some serious thought into that,” Martel said in approval.

“I’ve just been spending too much time with you,” Duran replied with a sigh as he scratched his head.

The Queen turned to address Martel. “Something you stated in the throne room caught my attention, Hero Martel. Do you truly have ways to increase our crop yields?”

Martel smiled. Even though the King was obstinate, the Queen seemed level headed and cared about the state, even though she was from Camelot. She had taken the bait, so Martel decided to strike while the iron was hot.

“I am afraid that the information is quite valuable. While I would leave the specifics for a peace deal, I would be willing to explain further should confirmation of the status of the kingdom regarding food.”

The Queen took some time to think before she answered. “You are mostly correct. While we are okay, that is because of the river that flows across our borders and Camelot. Most of the cities to the north does not have access to our food as it spoils. While the land that was captured throughout the war does provide some food, it is still not enough for the ever-growing population. I fear that starvation may soon run rampant if not revolution.”

“I thought as much. To answer your question, yes, I can provide basic information that will improve your crop output though it will take at least a year to take full effect. Assuming peace is made, I am more than willing to share that information.”

“I understand. I shall try to convince my husband.”

“I won’t be holding my breath. Tell me, Your Majesty, are you aware of what is called the Hero’s Prophesy?”

She nodded her head. “I am.”  

“Then I shall leave you with this warning, do not hinder his path,” Martel said as he took a solemn expression and an acute tone.

The Queen understood and nodded.

As she did so, a messenger walked up to them. “Forgive me for the interruption your Majesty, Hero Martel; I have a message from the King.”

“Go ahead,” Martel replied in a tone that expressed his disdain.

“To the North, above the desert below the mountains, it is rumored that a town was slaughtered. The perpetrators of not been confirmed, however, there are claims that Black Demons killed them. These beings don’t appear to consist of flesh and blood. When one was cut down, it would disappear as smoke and others would take its place. The King asks you to investigate this. The King also wishes to tell you if you should fight and kill the Demon King that you should leave no evidence.”

“… Understood.” Martel replied as the messenger bowed and took his leave.

“I can’t believe him, ordering the death of his brother,” Morgan said in anger. 

“I do not find it so surprising. It is not unheard of for royal families to kill amongst themselves for power.”

The Queen was a bit uncomfortable with Martel’s statement. “I do not believe my husband is quite a simple-minded is that. He cared quite a bit for his brother even though he was jealous of him. His original wish was to fight alongside him instead of being stuck ruling. He also envied Tom, who was more talented than him. They had a... Slight falling out in the past, but I believe he took the fact that Tom was not only still alive but had sided with the Demihumans quite hard. He must’ve felt very betrayed.”

“In this situation, I believe that Tom is the betrayed party here, although you could argue either way. At any rate, what troubles me is this report on these Black Demons. Tell me, what do you think of this?”

“I believe it is a wild goose chase to keep you busy while he deals with his brother,” Duran said immediately.

“For what it is worth, I was also aware of this report. I can assure you that it is not false.” The Queen added.

“I would agree with Duran, if not for their description. Tell me, who comes to your mind when you hear ‘becoming like smoke’?”

All eyes, save the Queen’s, focused on Cali.

“Where you are looking at me?” She asked innocently, which reminded everyone she was not even half a year old.

“So, you’re saying that those are spirits?” Morgan asked.

“Not just any spirits, I’m afraid. I received a report some time ago that was a summary of the first time the Darkness appeared before in this land. Records indicate that the Black Dragon controlled Dark Troops which could explain their appearance.”

“But wasn’t that Dragon killed? By my ancestor nonetheless?” The Queen asked.

“You are correct. Assuming that they are the same, it means that the Red Dragon is active.”

The Queen looked quite confused at my statement. “Forgive me, but I have not heard of a Red Dragon.”

“That is not surprising. The Black Dragon wasn’t initially so. It was the Spirit King of Destruction who mutually damaged the Spirit King of Fire, which turned them into the Black and Red Dragon, respectively. The Red Dragon was wounded far more than the Black Dragon and has been gathering his strength for thousands of years.”

“I have not heard of such a thing. Where did you hear this?”

“I apologize, I was asked to keep this in confidence from a reliable source.”

The Queen still skeptical, but Morgan spoke up. “Auntie, I was with him at the time. I can also vouch for its authenticity.”

The Queen nodded slowly. “I… I see. Then I must believe you. Tell me, what can I do to aid you?”

“You know your husband better than anyone, try to convince him as best you can. Our researcher Sophie is also browsing your libraries. If you could also ensure her safety with my absence and an assistant to help with whatever she needs, it would be much appreciated.” Martel said.

“It shall be done. When my sister said you are more than meets the eye, I believed her. Yet you have exceeded my expectations.”

“Oh? And what else has the Queen of Camelot told you?”

“That she believed you to be more powerful than you pretend to be. She also recently said she finally had you ‘under control.’”

“Your sister is truly wise. As to having me under control, let’s say it’s not her.” Martel said with a smile.

“Oh…” A smile slowly appeared on the Queen’s face as she realized the inference. “I see. If that is all that I should not hold you any further, so what will you do now?”

“For now, we ride north.”

End of Day -183

 

Later the next day, the group of five rested in their camp. Given the situation with the Fort, Martel felt that time was of the essence, so they had set out immediately. The possibility of the appearance of the Dark Troops that appeared in the first Darkness took precedence, and more reliable information was needed. There were many towns along the path where they tried to obtain information, but all of it was gossip and rumor. None of the information could be called official or reliable. After a short search in these towns, the group would quickly depart.

Given the high status of the group, they managed to trade in for fresh horses. After they had ridden all day, they made camp. The ladies immediately retired to their tent. They deserved the rest as they were not accustomed to such continuous riding. Martel rubbed his sore legs as he was the least accustomed to horse-riding.  

They were only a couple of hours from a village, but they stopped at sunset. The night was not affable when it came to travel, so they stopped for the evening. Should everything go as planned, they could investigate and be back to the siege the day after.  

Martel sat next to the fire with Duran as he went over his everything he had learned. He couldn’t help shake the feeling that the report is accurate. If so, Martel was concerned as to the strength and danger they would be. “Duran, should we run into trouble I expect you to use your judgment to flee with Morgan and Shiro.”

Duran looked at Martel and nodded in understanding. “Yes, even though Morgan is strong with offensive magic, her personality is ill-suited for battle and Shiro is still very young.”

“I imagine Shiro will be an asset to your retreat. I found out some time ago about her talent with Reinforcer Ki; it was just never particularly trained. While she still can’t use it very well, she is learning my Ki Blade.”

“Seriously? I think she was scary enough before.”

“As I have been on the receiving end of her Ki Pressure, I can understand that mentality. However, it will be important for her to be capable of defending herself should her identity be discovered, and I am not around. I’ve told her only to use it as a last resort, and she seems to understand the seriousness.”

“That would be good. So, in the event of a retreat, what will you and Cali do?”

“Cover your retreat and provide a distraction. I imagine I can escape so long as I do not have to protect them, unless… Unless the Red Dragon appears.”

“Should that happen, I am immediately taking them and fleeing.”

“I expect you to. Hopefully, I will be able to draw its attention completely. Should that situation occur I will most likely also leave Cali in your care as well.”

“You would go into that fight completely unarmed?”

Martel shook his head. “I do not believe it would be much of a fight, regardless. There is no reliable information on the approximate strength that this Dragon will possess. Though Cali is strong, she told me that her strength is lacking when compared to Gram. Hopefully, we can locate it before the Dragon appears.”

Duran took a solemn expression as he entered his tent. “I hope so, for all our sakes.”

End of Day -182

 
22