Vol 2: Ch 3 – Hero vs King
1.2k 3 23
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
 
Last Edit: 9/2/19

Early morning the next day, Martel made his way to where he had his duel with Tom. The sun had yet to rise, so he had to go slowly and used Ki to improve his night vision. As he entered the clearing, he noticed a small Ki source a little way off. He sent a relatively large burst of Ki in its direction to get its attention. After a couple of seconds, the source started to move in his direction, slowly. As he looked out, he could see a figure halt in the trees, bow out and drawn. His features betrayed him as Martel realized it was an elf. Martel gave him a smile and a wave, which caused the elf to be quite shocked. He made his retreat, and Martel was soon left alone.  

Martel spent the next hour as he did his regular training until he noticed two sources of Ki approach. Out from the trees came Tom and Caelia. Martel couldn’t see Tom’s expression because he had replaced his mask, but he could see that Caelia had a tired and displeased look.

“What do you want, waking us up so early in the morning?” She asked with a grumble.

“I apologize,” Martel replied with a grin. “I was assuming that such a lovely girl is you wouldn’t require beauty sleep.”

“W-why do you keep saying things like that?” She asked in a sleepy fluster.

Tom chuckled. “Sorry, because of my blood, she isn’t often associated with so she isn’t used to interacting with men.”

“Oh, I noticed. That’s why it’s so fun to tease her.” Martel said with a smile.

“So, I assume the news isn’t good.”

Martel shook his head. “Unfortunately no.”

“What does he want?”

“He is calling for your death.”

“What?!” Caelia exclaimed. “Aren’t you brothers?” She asked her father.

“I’m not too surprised,” Tom replied with a sigh. “He was livid when I went to see him years ago. I had hoped that time would abate his anger, but I should’ve known better.”

“So, what do you plan to do?” Martel asked.

Tom slightly side before he turned to Caelia. “We need some privacy.”

Caelia pouted, but not retort as she obediently gave them space.

“What do you think our options are?” Tom asked Martel after she had left.

“Honestly, not many. Our goal is to end the war to prevent the unnecessary loss of life and preserve military power for the coming Darkness. With that in mind, our first option is to keep the status quo.”

Tom shook his head. “This should only be done if no other options are viable. While it doesn’t diminish military strength, it does put stress on the kingdoms and vassals coffers. Besides, so long as the war continues, there may be more cases like Shiro, and I don’t want that.”

Martel nodded. “Our next option is to facilitate peace talks, but your brother flat out refused.”

Tom made a bitter smile. “He is, unfortunately, quite thorough in regards to dealing with perceived threats. I can say that the Demihumans have been for peace for quite some time as they have been non-aggressors for the entirety of the ‘war.’ They want to live in peace. As you know, Roxburoughshire has been using the war to further their agendas more than anything else. They have demonized me as the newest threat that the Demihumans possess and focus their military endeavors around that.”

“Indeed, the only reason why he hasn’t publically identified you is that it would be a scar on your lineage. It likely would not come up unless you reveal yourself as the Demon King or the fact that you are still alive.”

“I imagine that is what my brother wants; to keep me out of the picture and disappear into an obscure death.”

“So, with peace talks off the table, we either have to give in to the King’s demands or replace the King.”

Tom made a bitter smile. “Replacing the King is nearly impossible. Roxboroshire is male-only primogeniture, and there is currently no direct heir to the throne given that my existence is not known and neither of us has a son. That will leave a dispute between the many people who have our bloodline.”

“Could you take his place?”

“No, that is not a possibility. Firstly, he has the rightful claim to the throne, and it isn’t as if he is a bad King. He has amassed enough power and support to solidify his position, and he has done nothing to displease his vassals other than the incurring war costs. The only way I could replace it would be to stage a coup, but I do not have the manpower or support, nor do I believe the possible to obtain it. Moreover, he will probably reveal my current living situation and make me an enemy of the entire kingdom. The best-case scenario is a civil war, while the worst case is I die and drag you with me.”

“You are next in line of succession if the King were to die.”

“Don’t even entertain that thought.” Tom dismissively said. “Succession is not that simple. That aside, if we did so publicly, that would ruin you, if you could even escape the palace in one piece. In everyone’s eyes, the King has done absolutely nothing wrong, and you would have killed him out of pettiness for not agreeing with what you want.”

“I’m sure Carlisle will also have a field day with that information to discredit and villainize me and promote Freed. It could even give them a ‘just cause’ to start a war.”

“Assuming he dies privately, regardless of the means, it will be extremely suspicious if I showed up. Many will use that as an excuse to gain more power, namely the throne, especially because I am not much of a threat as I have no power or authority. The result is another civil war, which we want to avoid. That leaves only one alternative.”

Martel frowned heavily.

“My brother has made my existence the primary justification for the continuation of this war. This can also backfire because it means that there is no reason to continue the war if I die. To obtain what we want with the least repercussions requires the Demon King to die and for Tom to have never appeared.”

“So, what should we do?” Martel asked with a dark expression.

“The best thing to do would be to have you kill me in a public duel. You vanquish an evil which helps validate yourself as a hero and the war ends. My brother won’t be stupid enough to continue the war and anger his vassals as they are funding it.”

“There has to be another way.”

Tom smiled as he shook his head. “Martel, I know you’re smart. You know that is the only real option we have.”

“We could fake your death.”

Tom shrugged. “While it is preferable, it would have to be extremely believable. If my brother even caught wind of the possibility that I was still alive, he would probably drag you down with me.”

“…”

“You haven’t killed someone before, have you?”

“I haven’t.”

“Well, that’s a good thing. I’ll do the final blow myself if I have to.”

“Tom-”

“Don’t bother. The best thing for us to do is for you to kill me publicly. If you can figure out a way to feign my death, please feel free, but I don’t see how. I only have one request; I hope you can take care of Caelia.”

“Why?” Martel asked, clearly taken aback.

“My brother may call me a Demon King, but I am not a ruler. The only reason why they trust at all is thanks to my late wife’s reputation and because I helped bring needed supplies. Caelia and I are very ostracized, and she has no one remotely close to her except for Shiro, who insisted be with you. I’m asking you to take care of her.”

“You’re asking the man will probably end up killing you to take care of your daughter?”

“Once again, you don’t have to kill me. I’ll commit suicide.”

Martel could only sigh and curse at his weakness. He was stronger than the average human, but even he had his limits. Ki was not an infinite resource, nor was magic. Fighting against an army could easily kill him. He did not have the strength to be able to ignore the repercussions of his actions.

“Fine.” Martel finally relented. “I’m going to try to figure out a way to feign your death, though.”

“That’s fine, but I want you to take care of Caelia regardless and don’t tell her. In this best-case scenario, I’ll have to live in isolation, and I don’t want that for her.”

“If that happens, come with us.”

“I shouldn’t. Caelia is an adult, and she needs to live on her own.”

Martel slightly frowned as seem Tom would remain insistent on this, though he couldn’t understand why. “Fine, out of respect for the person is willing to sacrifice his own life for peace, I will accept your unreasonable demand should come to pass.”

Tom smiled and relief. “Caelia, come here.”

“Father, what are we going to do?”

“If my death will solve this, then so be it.”

“Father! What are you saying? Is it worth your life? Are you going to leave me all alone?”

Tom shook his head. “I am sorry, Caelia. I promised your mother I would end this war.”

“She didn’t mean like this!” Caelia said as she from her frustration. 

“I’m sorry, Caelia. It is my responsibility. I am the only one who can take this role. Humans think far worse of Demihumans then vice versa. It is only right that a human takes the role of the sacrifice.”

“But what about me? I’ll be alone.”

“No, you won’t. You will go with Martel and Shiro.”

“What!” she exclaimed.

“Caelia, I’m not asking.”

“Doesn’t my opinion matter at all?” She asked.

“Unfortunately, the world is not kind to everyone,” Martel replied.

“That doesn’t mean I have to do something I don’t want!”

“Then what about me?” Martel asked with a solemn tone and expression. “To end this war, which is not only in a foreign land but a foreign world, I have to kill a man with whom I have no quarrel with and happen to respect.”

“Then… Then just don’t do it!”

“If only it were that simple. Like Tom, I am the only one who can fit this role. If it were anyone else, your father losing would be suspicious at best. No one is in as good a position as I to ensure that the King of Roxburghshire keeps his word. I can use both diplomatic and brute force to do so. When it comes to a war that has been going on this long, public opinion is important. If peace is just declared, I imagine most who lost someone close to them would be very unhappy with the outcome. However, if the hero took out the leader of the Demihumans leading them into disarray, a nonaggressive stance would be more accepted. After several years of a cease-fire, then we can try to establish an official peace between the two. In short, the most efficient path to peace is your father’s death by my hand.”

“But…”

Tom hugged Caelia. “I’m sorry, Caelia,” He whispered. As he did so, she started to cry. While he held her, he looked at Martel. “So, what is our course of action?”

“I’m afraid it will have to be a public duel. If it doesn’t happen without many witnesses, there will be questions to its validity. On top of this I…, I was told to leave no evidence. Which would mean…”

“Which would mean disposing of my body immediately,” Tom interjected grimly.

“Unfortunately. How many skilled archers do you have with you at the Fort?”

“Three, all of which are superior to human archers.”

“Can they leave the Fort without being detected?”

“They should be able to if they go down the Seacliff wall, as I have.”

“Then, here’s the plan. Tomorrow morning, you will appear from the Fort and call me out. Use your archers to shoot at anyone else who tries to approach, though I will attempt to keep that from happening. Then we will have our duel. Tell your archers to look for me scratching the back of my head after the duel, or if I leave the area, as a code to retreat from the Fort. Then we will recapture it.”

“I understand.”

“We’re going to have to make the fight real if we want it to be believable.”

“I wouldn’t have it any other way,” Tom said with an affirmative tone. “Tell me, do you have any training with the sword?”

“I do.”

“Then bring one.”

“I will.”  

Tom looked down at Caelia. “I’m sorry,” He said softly.

“Is there nothing I can do for you to change your mind, father?” She asked with tears in her eyes.

“I’m sorry. It seems that the three of us will have to bear the weight of this war together. I am sorry that you have to go through this. Please remember you are not alone because you’ll have Shiro. Martel, can you please take her.”

Martel moved towards them as Tom separated and gently took her hand, but she shook it off.

“I can walk by myself,” She responded in frustration as she walked away.

“Please protect her, Martel,” Tom asked.

“With my life.”

“I am confident in you,” He said before he departed back the way he came.

Martel caught up to Caelia, who was only going in the general direction. Without a word spoken between them, he guided her toward the camp. Just before they entered the camp, Martel told her to wait. He went into the camp and got a cloak with a hood to hide her features. Her phenomenal looks and unusual hair color would attract unwelcome attention. 

The two of them entered the large tent where the other young ladies currently slept. Given that it was still technically early morning, everyone but Cali was still asleep. As Cali approached them, Shiro began to stir while she made a cute sound as she drowsily got up. After a couple of seconds, she noticed Martel and Caelia.

“Eh? Big Sis?” She asked drowsily.

“Yeah,” Caelia affirmed with a small smile.

Very quickly, Shiro snapped out of her drowsiness, ran up, and hugged Caelia.

“Be quiet Shiro,” Martel reminded her. “I don’t want to gather any unnecessary attention.”

“What’s all the noise about?” Morgan asked as she began to wake up.

Very excitedly, Shiro went over to Morgan, pulled her up, and brought her to Caelia. “Morgan, this is Caelia, who is like a big sister to me. Caelia this is Morgan, my friend.”  

“Nice to meet you,” Morgan said drowsily. 

“Likewise,” Caelia said.

“… Wait a sec…” Morgan said as she finally started to realize the implication. “If you are like a sister to her wouldn’t that make you…?”

Caelia made a solemn expression. “Yes, I’m a Demihuman, and?” She said defensively.

“Ah, I see. This seems like a strange time and place to visit.” Morgan replied.

Caelia expression turned to confusion. “I must say, that was not the reaction I expected.”

“What were you expecting?” Morgan asked.

“A bit more… Disdain perhaps?”

“I guess that is understandable. Listen, I don’t care if you’re human or not. As Shiro’s friend, her friends are my friends. Besides, the little girl with black hair over there named Cali isn’t technically a living being.”

Caelia looked over at her with even more confusion. “What do you mean?”

Without saying a word to test what Cali had told him earlier, he instructed her to turn into a sword, which she did. Caelia’s eyes went wide.

“She is a spirit, similar to the ones in the forest, yet very different,” Martel said as Cali turned back to her human form.  

“If you haven’t figured it out by now, You’re surrounded by a bunch of weirdos,” Morgan said, still not completely awake.

Martel adopted a sly grin. “Oh? You include yourself?”

“Yes, because I must be truly insane if I am capable of putting up with you for so long.”

Martel’s eyes narrowed. “You’re getting better at this.”

“Anyway, what are you doing here?” Morgan asked Caelia.  

“Her father asked me to look out for her,” Martel answered.

Morgan seemed quite surprised by that answer. “Is your father Tom a Lincoln?” She asked Caelia, who nodded her head.

“I see. Well then, the first thing you should know is that you cannot let your guard down around this pervert.” She said as she pointed at Martel.

“Hey, don’t go sabotaging people’s reputation,” Martel replied with a sigh.

“If you’re not careful, you’ll wake up seeing his face.” She hugged herself while she shivered. “It’s terrifying.”

Martel grinned slyly. “You know you like it.”

“Like hell!” she exclaimed as she punched him in the face.

Caelia looked dumbstruck for a couple of seconds, then slowly started to laugh.

[Good job, Goldie,] Martel thought with a smile.

End of Day -180

Early the next morning, Morgan found herself unable to sleep peacefully. Yesterday, Martel told them the basic plan. Martel had spent the rest of the day to subtly ensure that he had some sway with Roxburghshire’s army leaders. Most were unwilling, but the King had given orders to help assist Martel. Then, when the sun began to go down, Martel said that he felt the need to train and didn’t return. When Morgan remembered this, she got up to look for him. It didn’t take her long before she found him with Cali. His clothes were a little dirty he appears to be in a meditative state.

“Are you sure about this?” Morgan asked him.

Martel gave her a sad smile. “Unfortunately. I hope you take a good look at what will happen as this is what it means to be a hero.”

As Martel spoke, the front of the camp began to stir. Cali turned into her black sword form which Martel sheathed in a regular sheath.

“It’s time, go get the others,” Martel said as he walked away,

 

A short time later, the group of six convened on the frontlines. The soldiers around them began to get rowdy due to the presence of ladies. It wasn’t too bad because they knew Morgan was a princess, Caelia wore an overcoat, and Shiro was very young and was known as the Hero’s Apprentice. Because of this, there were more remarks towards Martel’s interests than anything else. However, these were spoken very quietly as Duran and Martel had a powerful aura.  

As everyone looked across the field towards the Fort, a lone figure appeared. He was well outside of the range of their archers, yet his voice could still reach their ears. “Hero! I know you can hear me! Come! I challenge you! Give me a fight that I can enjoy!” He Shouted slightly maniacally.

The camp began to stir as many eyes fell upon Martel. Martel met none of their stairs and instead wore a small grin that only the other five knew to be fake. Suddenly a horse wined and shot forward towards the Demon King. A young soldier’s enthusiasm and desire for promotion got the better of him. As he entered the area 250 meters from the Fort, something shot across the sky. With the whine, the horse stopped as its rider quickly pulled back on the reins. After a second, he turned the horse around back toward the camp. When he got close, everyone could see the side of his face was bleeding. It seemed that the arrow had just grazed his cheek. The warning shot was terrifying. To hit a moving target accurately at a distance is something most of the Army’s archers could not do even on a good day.  

The young soldier’s face appeared quite pale as he rode up. One of the captains confronted him ready to scold, if not punish him. Luckily for the soldier, Martel intervened.

“It is good that you are so prepared to fight,” Martel said as he healed the wound. “It seems that this Demon King knows not only that I exist but what I look like. I imagine that they will fire upon anyone besides me who approaches. Given this distance, I am confident that he will be capable of withdrawing and securing the Fort before we can get there with any decent fighting force.” Martel looked at the captains. “I believe the best course of action is for me to accept his challenge. If everything goes well, we will attempt to take the Fort after. Prepare, but do not advance until I give the signal.”

The captains all nodded agreement.

Martel walked over to the group of five and began to speak quietly. “Duran, I expect you to protect the ladies while I’m out. Also, make sure that the captains do not charge until I get the signal. It is imperative for this to work.”

“I understand,” Duran replied.

Caelia blankly stared at her father in the distance.

“Are you really going to do this?” Shiro asked.

Martel hesitated for a moment before he nodded. He looked at Caelia and gently took her hand before he continued. “This is a request that you may do at your discretion. Show your respect by watching until the end.”  

Caelia said nothing.

After he took a deep breath and looked up at the sky, Martel began to move forward. He was not at full sprint, yet he traveled faster than many would have thought possible for a human. He stopped between the Fort and the Army out of range for both side’s archers. The Demon King did not move.

Martel yelled in a voice that everyone. “You wish to fight? Here I am!”

The laugh of the Demon King echoed through the field as he slowly approached Martel. After he was twenty meters from Martel, he stopped. The two of them drew their swords and took their stances. Just before they attacked, the Demon King began to release a tremendous amount of Ki that could even be felt by the soldiers.

“Are you serious?”

“What a monster.”

The soldiers said in shock. The average human in Albion would rarely have a large amount of Ki. It was rare for even soldiers to have twice as large a Ki Flame as an average human. If you had three times as much, you were considered a genius. To have five times as much was monstrous. Even Demihumans would rarely reach that amount.

“It seems he wants this to be flashy,” Caelia said softly as she blankly stared at the two.

In response, Martel also released his Ki. Even though the amount was purposely less that the Demon King, it still shocked everyone who felt it. The two of them slowly began to approach each other until they suddenly clashed. They exchanged a flurry of blows and the sound of their clashing swords reverberated in the air.

As they have opted for a shieldless style, they deflected and dodged and rarely blocked. Again and again, they met and retreated. At a couple of exchanges, Martel shot two balls of fire that the Demon King dodged and sliced through.   

Most of the soldiers stared in awe at the speed at which the two of them fought. As if to break up the repetitiveness, the two of them locked blades into a contest of strength. For about ten seconds, they remained locked as they exchanged a few short words. Then Tom seemed to get the upper hand and pushed Martel away. Martel continued to retreat at the Demon King’s advance up a slight rise in the ground. Suddenly, at high speed, Martel changed direction directly towards the Demon King. Before the Demon King could react, Martel’s blade met the Demon King’s body. The Demon King slumped forward and fell to the ground as Martel withdrew his sword.  

Morgan watched as the Demon King’s body fell behind the rise. She could even see the red blood on Martel’s hands. Shiro slightly teared up, but Caelia had no emotion on her face and sat still. Her eyes appeared dead. In the distance, flames erupted from Martel’s hands toward the ground.  

[This is just too cruel.] Morgan thought.

Out of the corner of her eye, she noticed one of the high-ranking military officials who began to move. He was one of the few that openly was against Martel’s presence and authority.

“Troops move out!” he said as he began to lead an infantry squad personally.

Just after he spoke, a white blur flashed in front of him.

“Stop,” Shiro said with a hint of sadness and anger in her eyes. “Martel hasn’t told you to advance yet.”

Surprise appeared on many of the soldiers’ faces before they started to laugh.

“Oh? And who are you to tell me what to do little girl?” The commander said haughtily.

“I am the Hero’s Apprentice, Shiro. You are not to move until Martel gives the signal.”

The commander continued to laugh as he drew his blade and moved it toward Shiro’s neck. “I’ll tell you little girl, I-” *Ting*. Was all he managed to say before half of his blade fell to the ground. Silence enveloped the area. Not only had Shiro learned Martel’s Ki Blade, but she activated it so quickly no one had even noticed.  

Anger filled the commander’s face. Not only had his weapon been destroyed, but he had been humiliated in front of his unit. “Why you little-” *Bang* 

Shiro had instantly closed the short distance between them and sent a punch to his chest. The blow she threw was not simple. It contained the full force of her Ki while her sadness and anger from having lost someone who was like a second father to her. 

The captain groaned as the metal creaked and he got launched into the air as she was so short she had to punch up. Everyone watched dumbfounded. Shiro didn’t hold back in the slightest, and everyone could see the power in her punch, but almost no one could believe that little girl could ever launch a man who weighed around 200 pounds, much less one in full armor!

The captain landed at the feet of his unit and groaned loudly in pain. He coughed up a little blood before he starred at Shiro with hate in his eyes. His anger at his humiliation didn’t allow for the reality to set in. “You little-” He began. But then the anger in his eye turned to fear. Shiro Ki flame became five times an average human’s Ki. That, however, was not what made everyone flinch. Along with her Ki was her anger and fighting spirit. Her fighting spirit even made Martel flinch, how could any ordinary soldiers withstand an even more vicious version of it?

“I said stop,” Shiro said. Her tone and Ki indicated her anger, and her bleeding hand only increased her intimidation. The clatter of armor could be heard, and some soldiers even leaked fluid. Everyone was so stunned by Shiro that they didn’t even notice Duran as he walked over to the prone captain until he too released a similar amount of Ki. Though it wasn’t as strong as Shiro, Duran also had notable pressure and anger.

Duran had always grown up inspired by tales of valor on the battlefield. He wanted to be one of those valiant warriors and experience all of the glory. However, that changed. Because of his inactions with Martel, he slowly began to see battles as something that was not glorious. This little exchange finally cemented that belief.  

Through Martel, Duran had heard all about Tom and equally respected and admired him. Tom was willing to sacrifice his own life for peace. It was only one life, but Duran could see that Tom’s single life meant so much to Caelia and Shiro. Duran was angry; Angry at Roxburghshire, who had perpetuated the war, and even more upset at himself for being too weak to do anything about it. 

The commander could feel Duran’s anger as it emanated from the Ki in the blade against his neck. “Did you draw your sword against a little girl?” He asked with an angry smile.

What had happened was immediately noticed by those in the surroundings. At first, they had just watched in surprise. But that surprise turned to shock, and that shock turned to fear. Even Martel, who was at a far distance, turned to look in surprise. He watched for a few seconds to make sure Shiro’s cover wasn’t blown and then turned and dashed toward the Fort which he scaled almost effortlessly. A short time after, the gates opened. “Charge!” He yelled.

A short time later, the Fort was officially captured with no resistance.

Afterward, Martel walked back to the group. His body was bruised and had small cuts all over it, and his expression was emotionless. He stopped in front of them without a word. Caelia’s dead eyes only stared at Martel’s stained hands.

End of Day -179

 
23