Vol 2: Ch 9 – What Has Been Seen
961 1 14
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Last Edit: 9/2/19

Carlisle retreated without incident while Duran heavily reinforced the border with volunteers and conscripts until Roxburghshire’s reinforcements arrived two weeks later. Because the war against the Demihumans was over, Camelot swore not to raise prices for food unnecessarily, and the Queen Regent held more sway, Roxburghshire dedicated many troops. Given the river between the two countries, invasion by land had become nearly impossible thanks to the sheer number of soldiers, increased defenses, and the deterrent power of Martel and the Black Knight.

Duran and the others made their way back to the capital for an official coronation while Cali and Martel road ahead and beyond. Their destination, Yggdrasil. They rode hard with little rest and often swapped horses, so they managed to make it to the forest in two days. From there, Martel wore Cali as armor and took off in a run through the woods. After he ran for two days nonstop, they finally reached our destination.

Cali took on her human form as they entered.

“What is the reason for which you approach me?” Yggdrasil asked.

“You would know, wouldn’t you? You can see the future, after all.” Martel said. His face clearly showed his frustration as he spoke.

“Oh? Of what do you speak?”

“Do not play dumb. You are the one who gave Morgan the prophecy in the distant past.”

“To say that I can see the future is not completely accurate. I cannot see what will be, only what can be. I cannot see everything, only some things. I cannot see by choice, only by Fate.”

“Trying to deflect, I see. Then let me ask this, why did you bring Freed into this world along with me?”

“You are mistaken. I did not bring you together; I brought you soon after. No, I’m merely lent you a hand. You are the one who asked to come. No, you came on your own; you both did, and I allowed it.”

Shock covers Martel’s face. “What do you mean? I never asked to come to this world.”

“Whether you did so consciously or not is not my concern, I merely answered your call.”

“So you mean to say a straight answer does not exist?”

Yggdrasil nodded. “I will not pretend to know everything.”

“Then, I shall ask you for what I know you do. I want your teleportation magic.”

“What do you mean?”

“Are you trying to test my patience? Though I know it is not the most accurate word; you do have magic to that effect.”

“Tell me this magic you say I know.”

“Camelot’s transportation magic isn’t efficient as it destroys items down to a molecular level and reconstructs them at the location. However, it is unable to replicate the complexity of the brain, causing death. Additionally, the magic used to bring me to this world transported me between worlds. As a result, I realized that what you used is not transportation as the body is not destroyed. Instead of using Destruction before Creation, both are used simultaneously. The essence of Creation is to create something and to create something you must first have the space to put it in. As a result, I can only deduce that the essence of Creation is space. If this is the case, then what is the essence of Destruction? Then I say what force can destroy all? Time, none who reside within it can escape it. Thus, I can deduce that the magic created is an effect like a wormhole created through Creation and Destruction, space, and time. This is the magic I want from you.”

Yggdrasil lowered his head and made a sound reminiscent of a sigh. “This is an expensive boon that you ask of me. It is more than mere magic.”

“The woman I love is dead, and you ask me to kill your spawn and clean up your mess. I believe you should help me to the fullest of your abilities.”

“It is not something that a mortal can easily understand, at least not without a lot of time.”

“I’m a fast learner, and besides, isn’t that the very reason why Spirit Enchanting is so convenient?”

“It is more complex than your ring. There are multiple variables for you to utilize.”

“Nothing I’m sure I couldn’t learn with training.”

“Fine. Do not expect more from me.” He replied as he created a bracer In his hand. Then he took a Spirit of Creation and a Spirit of Destruction and enchanted them into the bracer. He handed it to Martel and once again spoke. “Heed my warning. You can not use it without practice and understanding. There are built-in restrictions even I can not ignore. This power cannot be abused lest you will be struck down by forces greater than even me. You do not have the authority to utilize it to its fullest potential without permission from those who have the authority. Know that the past defines the future, and the future does not define the past. Always be aware of where you are.”

Without a word, Martel turned and left as he put the bracer on.

“Martel?” Cali looked at Martel with a slight hint of worry.

“Don’t worry. You’ll help me with this, right?”

She nodded her head then turned into a breastplate, and Martel began his run back through the forest. 

End of Day -158

 

Two days later, after they arrived back at Camelot, Martel found himself in a room with Duran as he mulled over the paperwork at his desk. The coronation was quick and occurred in Martel’s absence. 

Duran put down his quill and looked at him. “I apologize for making you wait on my account. I’m still trying to become accustomed to my duties.”

“It is no problem, your Majesty,” Martel replied with a respectful nod.

Duran made a small smile. “Please do not call me that, especially not in private.”

“You make it sound as though it is not true.”

Duran nodded. “I do not believe it has fully set in yet. But regardless, I do not feel comfortable being called that by you. You know… I think of you as a brother.”

“I am honored,” Martel replied with a serious expression.

In contrast, Duran began to look uncomfortable. “You know, we could make it official.”

Martel snapped his head up to Duran with wide eyes an expression of disbelief on his face. “You cannot be serious.”

“The kingdom needs good news, Martel. The retreat of Carlisle is enough to give us a breather, but we need an event to celebrate. I conceded to your wish and did not reveal that you are the Black Knight and I made it appear as if you appeared on the left flank. This makes it sound as though you were also a major contributor to why they retreated. If the war hero was to marry the princess then-”

“I refuse. Duran, I have not yet even begun to grieve, and you’re already trying to get me to marry Morgan?”

“I’m sorry, I know this is sudden. But I also know you care for her and she does have feelings for you.”

“That would be hard to believe.”

“Don’t lie,” Duran replied with a small scoff. “You’ve been aware for a long time. Take it from me; it’s helpful to have someone that can… Relieve you of your burdens.”

Martel blinked in shock. “Did you seriously suggest what I think you did?”

Duran looked down. “Sarah has been a great help to me in these trying times.”

“Of that, I have no doubt, but I still can’t do it. I plan to follow through my promise with Shiro if she so chooses, and Cali if by some miracle. I also have Caelia to think about. Through a completely different means, she’s eased my pain. Given everything she has been through; everything I’ve caused; everything she’s done for me; I have to answer her feelings if she ever comes to me. My marrying Morgan would run counter to that effect.”

Duran slowly nodded his head. “Polygamy is always an option.”

“... I’m not comfortable with that.”

“I understand. Do what you feel to be right.”

“Anything else?”

“No, thank you for your time.”

“Likewise, your Majesty,” Martel replied with a small smile as he stood up.

“I’m sure, Hero,” He sarcastically replied as he returned it.

 

Martel felt the warmth of the sun and the coolness of the breeze as he walked back towards his base with a sorrowful expression. Various people worked on the parts of the burned building. As he stood there and watched, he noticed a golden-haired young lady who came around the side. Morgan took a couple of steps forward before she stopped after she saw him. Her eyes went wide as she froze in place with her cheeks taking a pinkish hue before she turned around and made a retreat back the way she came. She avoided Martel ever since she joined him in the tavern, and Martel hadn’t been in the mood to do anything about it. However, this time, he decided to approach her. Not a second after she rounded the corner, he caught up with her and held her from behind.

“W-w-w-what are you doing?” She asked in a panic as she tried to push away from his grasp.

“Why are you running from me?”

“That’s because… Because.” Her head lowered in her face became redder.

“Because you said something embarrassing when we last spoke?”

*Gyo* Morgan winced which inadvertently told him he was on the mark.

“It’s fine, isn’t it?” Martel continued as he turned her toward himself and lifted her face to his. “You had an understandable moment of weakness, and you trusted me. Did I betray the trust?”

She shook her head.

“Did I make you feel better?”

She nodded then, slowly, grabbed the clothes at his chest and pulled close.

“Thank you,” She said softly.

“Anytime, Goldie,” Martel replied with a soft smile as he gave her a soft hug. 

Her face soured. “Who are you calling Goldie?” She asked with a small hint of sarcasm.

*Pat Pat Pat thump* Morgan was pressed into Martel as Shiro tackle hugged her from behind.

“I want to hug too,” Shiro said with a cheerful voice.

“Me too,” Cali added as she slowly came down after she manifested slightly above them before she snuggled in.

Morgan looked more and more uncomfortable as she was pressed closer and closer to Martel.

Caelia, who has also appeared, stood close by with an embarrassed expression on her face.

“Would you like to join us?” Martel teased.

“I’m good for now.” She replied with a hint of embarrassment as she held her arm at her side, but did not reject the notion.

“I’ll be sure to give you some special attention later then,” Martel replied with sincerity.

To his words, a small look of shock appeared on Caelia’s face as it turned crimson before she nodded her head.

“Ahem.” A new voice appeared from behind them as a guard made his presence known.

In a panic, Morgan forcefully removed herself from the group hug, which caused her to fall with the other girls.

“You know, if you don’t want a misunderstanding to happen, I suggest you don’t act like that,” Martel said as he extended a hand to them.

“Hero Martel, Sophie has re-”

“Did you find him yet?” Sophie asked as she rounded the corner in a slight pant.

“I see, thank you, you can go now,” Martel said to the guard who was annoyed before he turned to Sophie. “So what did you fi-”

“I found were Gram is!”

“Really?”

“... Probably.”

“... Tell me what you have.”

“I found out that Artoria most likely took Gram with her to the grave. The most likely place for her grave is on Mt. Etna, which is where she fought the Black Dragon. I found some documents that lead me to believe she had a small castle built at the location where she took up residence and was buried.”

“Where exactly is this located?”

“A little bit further than where you encountered the dark troops.”

Martel’s eyes narrowed when he heard this. “Anything else.”

“Well… This isn’t confirmed but… There were rumors of a red beast flying in the sky.”

“I would have figured as much.”

“Also… On the border between Roxburghshire and Camelot, in one of the taverns, I ran into someone who remarkably resembled what I’ve heard about the man you call Freed.”

Martel’s eyes went wide then dark. “What makes you think it was him?”

“He was provoked by some solders and got into a fight in a tavern I was staying in. He had an abnormal amount of Ki, blond hair, and I noticed burn marks on his chest when he lost part of his clothing in the tumble.”

“I see.”

“Additionally… I got the feeling he was following me… Or at least knew who I was.” Guard, prepare a horse,” Martel said as he walked into the building.

...

After a short time, Martel had gathered his things. He made his way outside where he expected a horse to be prepared. Instead, he found three with Caelia, Shiro, and Cali, who held the reins.

“You weren’t thinking of going without us where you?” Caelia accused.

“Yes,” Martel said without missing a beat as he reached to grab the reins. However, he froze as he had found a thin blade of Ki at his neck. “Caelia, I’m quite happy you’ve taken my technique to such a level. However, I would not expect you to think you could sway my decision with force.”

“I guess not,” She said with a slight smile as she withdrew her Ki. “We’re going with you all the same.”

“It won’t be safe.”

“It isn’t safe for Shiro and me here without you.”

Shiro tugged at his clothes. “I want to help you,” She said with an honest and cute expression.

Martel looked over at Cali, who appeared to side with them. “Et tu Cali?” He asked with a sigh.

She nodded her head. “Together.”

“Fine, fine. You can come on one condition. You have to comply with everything I say. If I tell you to run and leave me, you do so without question, understood?”

They all nodded their heads as Martel put on a smile with a hint of evil. “Also, Caelia, you are going to pay for that little stunt.”

She flinched before she looked down. “Okay.”

“Let’s get going.”

“We can’t; we have to wait.”

“For what?”

“For me,” Morgan said as she came out of the mansion in travel clothes.

“Absolutely not.”

“Why not?”

“It’s not safe.”

“It’s not safe here!” She said as she pointed to the damaged parts of the building.”

“All of the plants should have been caught.” 

“I’m coming with you whether you like it or not.” 

Martel sighed. “Fine, but you have to do whatever I say, understood?”

“Fine.”

...

“We will stop here for camp,” Martel said an hour before sunset as he looked behind and saw several tired faces. “What did you expect?” Martel said in response to their victimized glares. “I’m going to scout around and grab some firewood, could you please set up the tents?”

They nodded and began to set up camp.

After Martel scouted and collected wood for about a half-hour, he made his way back to the camp to found something that surprised him. “So… Why is there only one tent?”

“It’s not worth putting the extra burden on a horse for one person to have a whole tent,” Morgan replied.

“So you are willingly sharing a tent with me?”

Morgan became embarrassed and flustered. “It’s fine, right? It’s not like it’s anything new, and I trust you.”

“Thank you,” Martel replied with a respectful nod before he turned to build a fire.

...

They ate their meal together before all the girls, except for Cali, made their way into the tent. Cali had sat down by the fire and stared at it as if she was lost in thought.

Martel sat down next to her. “How are you doing?”

She looked at him with an innocent and serious expression. “Don’t know.”

“What do you mean you don’t know?” 

“Not sure how to feel. Can’t control.”

Martel took a deep breath and hugged her from the side. “Emotions are not that easy to control, unfortunately. While it is true that they start in the mind, it also depends on how one reacts and has reacted to their life’s events. Most of the time, we have almost no control over them. It isn’t a matter of choosing which one to feel, but which one we do feel. Does that make sense?”

She nodded her head.

‘Then how do you feel?” He asked her.

“Sad… I miss Freyja.”

“I do too.”

“Say… Why did you all cry?”

“Because we were sad. I don’t think any of us try to. It just happens naturally.”

“I can’t cry. Create water, but can’t cry.”

“That makes sense because it’s a natural function of our body. You only appear human.”

“To cry, how sad?”

“That’s a tough question. It can depend on the person or any number of other factors. You also don’t have to be sad to cry.”

She tilted her head, cutely. 

“Some people cry when they’re sad, angry, happy, frustrated. Crying can be called the ultimate expression of emotion.”

Cali looked down with a hint of depression. “But… I can’t cry.”

After a second, Martel picked her up and placed her on his lap. Her face showed a hint of surprise before she quickly snuggled into his chest as always. 

Martel pat her lightly on the head. “It’s fine that you don’t cry.”

“That feels good,” She said as she pushed into his palm.

~Chee~ Martel turned when he felt a gaze like a laser at his back. Shiro poked her head out of the tent and stared at him with jealousy.

[She is surprisingly territorial.] Martel thought with an internal chuckle. “Cali, why don’t you go into the tent? I’ll take the first watch.”

“Okay,” She said as she jumped off his lap.

“Oh no, you don’t!” Morgan yelled as she opened the flaps of the tent, which caused Shiro to fall cutely. “You’re not keeping watch at all.”

“Why not?”

“Because you’re probably planning to leave without us early in the morning.”

“Oh? Was it that obvious?”

“You taught me how to utilize spirits remember? While I’m not as good as you are yet, I can tell when you are slightly deceitful.”

“Seriously? I can’t do that.”

“Really? At any rate, we are in a safe location, and you can keep an eye on the surroundings of the tent anyway.”

“Fine,” Martel said as he gave up as he made his way up to the tent. 

Caelia waited for him with some rope. “Why don’t you lay down?” She says with an evil smile.

“Okay,” He replied with a smile as he laid down on the bedroll.

She took her rope and began to wrap his hands up.

Martel’s smile broke into a grin. “Say, Caelia, I wasn’t expecting you to be so forward.”

She stopped and looked at him, confused.

“If you wanted my attention in bed, you could’ve just asked.”

“Wha?” She exclaimed in shock as her cheeks turned crimson.

“Besides, what’s the point of this? I can use Ki to get out of this quite easily.”

“I… I guess,” She replied as she began to untie him.

“I’m going to remember this,” Martel said with an evil whisper and smile that caused her to flinch.

“Stop fooling around, it’s time for us to go to sleep,” Morgan complained before she lay down at his side. 

As Martel a removed his shirt, Morgan got flustered. “W-w-what are you doing?”

“I always sleep without a shirt,” He replied. Morgan laid back down. Her face clearly showed her embarrassment.

Caelia laid down on his other side, Shiro curls up in between his feet to use his leg as a pillow, and Cali snuggled on his chest as no one appeared to take watch.

[This… I can’t believe this is happening right now.] Martel thought. He had often slept next to them. It was his bad habit to tease girls he likes, but now they had all taken the initiative. It gave him a warm feeling that was separate from their body heat. “Girls, there is something that I want to talk about. If the Dragon is real, you are to get to safety and let me deal with it on my own. There is no way I am strong enough to protect you.”

“So? What makes you think that we need protecting? We are all strong.” Morgan replied annoyance.

“Of that, I have no doubt. However, if it was something that could be easily beaten by the strength of all those present, I don’t see how much of a threat it would truly be against an army.” He took her hand at his side. “Also, I don’t want to lose anyone else I hold dear.”

Her face gained a red hue at his admission.

Martel seemed not to notice as he continued. “Speaking of which there is something else I want to talk about. Martel died three weeks ago.”

At his strange comment, all the girls but Caelia looked confused, so Martel continued to explain. “It was the name I gave myself entering this world. In reality, the only reason I did it was to escape my problems. It was a new start; a new life; and that life is over.”

“What are you going to do now,” Cali asked him.

“Finish what I started and, if I’m still alive, go back to my world.”

“What!? You’re going to leave us?” Shiro asked as her head jerked up.

“Of course not,” Martel replied with a soft smile. “I’m working on a way to bring anyone who wants to come with me.”

“Can I come?” Cali asked cutely.

“Of course. I figured you and Shiro were a given.”

“If Shiro’s going, I am too,” Caelia said.

“You are more than welcome to. So, that leaves Goldie.”

Morgan looked a little depressed. “I… I don’t think I can leave.”

“I understand. The offer remains open. At any rate, it’s time for us to go to sleep.”

"""Fine."""

Caelia inched her way to his side and whispered. “So don’t die. There… There’s something I want to tell you when this is all over.”

Martel turned his head to face her, which caused her reddened face to look down “I can’t promise that. If death… If death were so easy to decide, there would be nothing to worry about. But it isn’t… Also… I hope I will be able to give you a favorable answer. But just in case, please be aware that I will need some time to recover.”

She looked up, and their eyes meet until she looked back down, her face turned an even deeper shade of crimson before she settled in next to him.

[They’re going to require at least six hours of sleep. Oh well, I can practice Meditative Sleep.]

With that, they went to sleep... or tried to.

*Whack!*

Morgan’s elbow awakened Martel as it smacked him in the face.

[This is impractical as I thought. And what’s with the princesses undignified sleeping habits?] He couldn’t help but think as he tried to settle back down. Ironically, it was the best night of sleep he had in days.

End of Day -155

 

The sun caressed Martel’s face and caused him to stir from his sleep. It seemed as though the two young ladies at his side had snuggled up next to him in their sleep though Morgan had practically choked him.

“Girls, rise and shine.”

The two girls at his side fidgeted as they woke up. He watched as the drowsy look on their faces disappeared with shock as they remembered where they were. Cali tilted her head, and Shiro hugged his leg all the tighter.

“Not that I’m particularly complaining, but I would like to get up, and you are all pinning me down.”

The two older girls got up with a start as Cali got off his chest. In comparison, Shiro did not only not wake up; she hugged his leg all the tighter.

“Shiro, time to get up,” Martel said as he violently shook his leg with her attached to it.

“I-I-I-I do-o-o-n wa-a-ana.” She replied as she slurred her words of the motion.

“What am I going to do with you?”

“Love me, feed me, never leave me,” She replied, cutely with a smile.

“You’re completely awake,” Martel said with a sigh.

Martel finally managed to get her off of him and put on his shirt. 

As he finished up, Cali tugged on it. “Why is your chest beating?”

His eyes became wide as he was caught off guard by her question. Slowly, his face turned to a slightly sad expression. “It’s the sound of her heart beating.”

“Her?” Morgan asked as she had listened in. “What is that supposed to mean? Don’t you mean your heart?”

“No,” Martel replied with a soft smile as Caelia also stopped what she was doing to pay attention.

“It isn’t my heart; it’s my little sisters.”

“What… What do you mean?” Shiro asked, clearly confused.

“A long time ago, my family and I were in an accident. My parents died, and my sister and I were dying. I was in a coma with heart damage, and my sister was dying from internal damage. The doctors abided by her dying wish, to give her heart to me so that I could live.” Martel looked down sadly. “She was the first girl I couldn’t protect.” He came back to his senses and realized that all the girls except for Cali had teared up. “Ah, sorry. I didn’t mean to tell a sad story.”

Morgan slowly made her way to him and stopped in front of him with her head down. “So, do you understand?”

“... No, I don’t understand what you’re going through. I had a similar experience. I don’t know how much they meant to you or how you truly feel just from my own experiences.”

Even though she had not looked at him, he could tell that her face had complex expressions; Doubt? Fear? Confusion? 

Martel put his hand on her head as he smiled softly. “However, there is one thing I would like you to remember. Know that we are all here for you, Goldie.” 

Her body relaxed. “Who are you calling Goldie, Pervert.” She retorted in a tone that was not unpleasant.

The trip to the mountain took four more days.

14