Vol 12: Ch 2 – Checking In with the New
42 1 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“We are almost there.” Sakura’s mother said with a mixture of emotions as she glanced at the ever-encroaching city walls.

They had passed by a single small village which had since been deserted in anticipation of the next Wave before they arrived at the Usagi ducal capital towards the evening of the second day. For an ordinary horse, such a trip would often take three days. However, the reinforced carriage and Terra, who Martel was also leveling up, cut the travel time down drastically.

The city itself was average in size for a ducal capital. This was due to several reasons. Firstly, the supermajority of inhabitants within this Duchy was Usagi, as all the territories were split by race. Secondly, a supermajority of the population within the Duchy lived within the capital. This Duchy was relatively small and poor compared to some other demihuman ones. Compared to the humans’ provincial sizes, the Usagi controlled territory closer to the status and power of a count. However, it was customary for all the demihuman leaders to be dukes, regardless of territory or population. There were no kings among the demihumans as it would be extremely difficult to unify internally. The only time demihumans unified was temporary due to external threats. Complete unification never happened.

After taking in the view of the city for a few more seconds, Sakura’s mother turned to Martel. “Sir shield hero, if you wish to enter the city smoothly, I suggest you reveal your identity.”

“Is security particularly tight?” Martel asked.

“Probably. The Waves get further apart with each sequential Wave, and this territory is within that scope. Most territories will be wary to a certain extent of travelers who may try to fish troubled water should a wave occur.”

“Wouldn’t they welcome the extra hands?” Echidna asked as she repositioned herself due to her discomfort from being coiled up for so long.

“No. If individuals truly wanted to help fight the Wave, they would join one of the heroes’ parties or the local militia. It is not uncommon for people to take advantage of the chaos when a wave hits nearby and do quick looting for valuables. You don’t have to run fast to escape the Wave; you have to run faster than others. Many take advantage of that fact.” Sakura’s mother said with a sigh. 

“Stop there.” One of the three quickly approaching young male guards shouted at the party as they quickly approached, spears at the ready.

Martel obliged and understood their immediate concern. These guards were weaker than the average soldier, only slightly better than a normal citizen. A large carriage filled with intimidating demihumans, pulled by a dracolisk, was extremely intimidating.

“State-state your business!” The young guard said with a slight voice crack.

“Returning some kidnap victims,” Martel replied as he pointed to the mother and daughter. He was about to reveal his identity but was suddenly interrupted.

“Second aunt!” One of the three guards shouted, finally noticing the two previously inconspicuous people.

Sakura’s mother was slightly startled before giving the guard a good look. “Are you my eldest brother’s son? You seem to take more after your mother.”

The young guard’s eyes lit up. “It is you!” He exclaimed before he turned to Sakura. “Then you should be my cousin, Sakura! I need to go tell the Lord and my father right away.” The guard exclaimed in excitement as he quickly turned around.

“Wait.” One of the other guards said behind him. “How do you know it’s them? Could they be fake?”

“They would be damn good fakes!” The guard shouted back. “She was like an older version of her portrait, and you know how rare a pink Usagi is!” He replied without breaking stride, dashing away.

The guard originally shouted, wryly looking at the party again. “I will escort you to the duke’s estate.” He said as he glanced across the party. Upon noting that most of them were slaves, he turned to Martel, who seemed in charge. “Do you have a form of identification?”

Martel nodded and handed him his Adventurers Card.

The guard took the card and read it, only stunned with a dumbfounded look as he glanced back at Martel.

Martel smiled as he transformed his shield.

“Forgive me for my rudeness, Shield Hero. I will escort you to the Lord’s estate post haste.” The guard suddenly enthusiastically said before he sent the other guard away to inform.

As they quickly made their way through the city, the more energetic and curious party members took in the sights. However, there was one notable exception. Sakura, who had joined Martel and her mother in the driver’s seat, seemed completely lost in thought.

“Nervous?” Martel asked Sakura to break the silence.

Sakura absentmindedly nodded.

Martel gently placed a hand on her shoulder. “There is nothing to worry about. Remember, Rio said that your father never stopped looking for the two of you, and he’s reportedly a good man, so you have little to worry about.”

Sakura nodded again before she suddenly tensed up. Her head slightly turned as her eyes affixed to the hand gently resting on her shoulder before they continued to Martel’s face. Her body briefly shook before slowly placing her head in her hands, her face with a slight pinkish hue.

Sakura, whose inner thoughts were already in turmoil, hadn’t completely registered that Martel had touched her. It wasn’t the first time a man had touched her, much less in a decent place. Growing up in such an environment, she could be called lucky for remaining as pure as she was. Much of that was attributed to her mother. Those experiences made her instinctively hate the touch of a man. If a man ever touched her before, she would have an inherent feeling of disgust. It wasn’t until she looked at the hand touching her shoulder that she realized that that feeling did not exist. When her eyes had briefly met, it was almost like an electrical spark from his hand shook her core. She felt a completely alien sensation, but not one unpleasant. Unsure of what to do with those feelings, she could only bury her head in embarrassment as she tried to process the foreign sensation.

Meanwhile, Martel gingerly removed his hand, seemingly not the wiser. However, he notably glanced between his head and Sakura in confusion. However, he could only brush off her slightly strange reaction as they approached the duke’s estate.

Upon arriving at the estate, the gates opened. A chubby middle-aged Usagi, slightly short of breath, quickly came out, and both he and Sakura’s mother flinched at the sight of one another. Simultaneously, they rushed into each other’s embrace and quickly began to jump for joy, something quite literal for Usagi. Sakura eventually joined in as she finally met her father. The reunited families’ tears proved infectious as many party members, even some stoic ones, became teary-eyed.

The family reunion of three became slightly awkward once Sakura realized it wasn’t just a family of three. Two more women, who looked strikingly similar to Sakura’s mother, appeared with four girls and two boys ranging from slightly older than Sakura to about five years old. As it turns out, the duke had grown up as childhood friends with Sakura’s maternal family. Sakura’s father couldn’t decide between them, so he picked them all.

In this world, polygamy was not a foreign concept in the slightest. While the average citizen would most likely be in a monogamous relationship, no laws or cultural biases would prevent polygamous ones. A man was looked highly upon for being able to afford more than one wife in more ways than monetarily. Of course, this meant that most nobles were polygamists. The only nobles Martel was even aware of to be in a monogamous relationship in this world were Hestia’s parents. Theirs was an especially interesting situation, given the health history of Hestia’s mother, but that was an entirely different subject. Of course, polygamist relationships also have the problem on a cultural level from the simple fact that birth ratios were still relatively even. If not because this world was dangerous for men, many angry single men would hate the successful ones. However, there were notably more male adventures than female ones. Most women only fought during the Waves in the heroes’ party as a last resort to help ensure repopulation. 

After Sakura’s father apologized for ignoring guests that had come from afar, Martel politely replied that he understood. He invited the party in for dinner and lodgings in his estate. This worked well for Martel as he planned to give the girls one or more days off. He was preparing to strike the City of Sin but wanted to ensure he was fully prepared. Fighting a Dragon, much less a poisonous one, wasn’t safe. He wasn’t sure it would go as well as previously, so he wanted to ensure a high poison resistance and appropriate antidotes.

Additionally, Martel wanted to have a few days’ rest himself. He had executed an extremely large number of people in the last few days. Though he had killed many before, war differed from execution, which took a larger toll on his spirit. If not for the fact he had killed a plethora before, his spirit could easily have cracked. He was not bloodthirsty and did not wish to become that way.

Martel was quite pleased with the following dinner that the duke prepared. Not only himself but his staff showed zero discrimination for his party’s diversity, nor the fact that they were slaves. Martel also approved the duke’s urgency to catch up with his wife, which he found admirable knowing what she had been through. As they left, Sakura followed her mother when she said she wanted to give her something.

Eventually, Martel retired to the room provided for him. As he passed the time processing medical materials, someone quietly knocked at his door.

“It’s open.” He replied nonchalantly.

Martel remained focused on his work as the figure tentatively entered the room and closed the door behind her.

“M-master,” Sakura said with a stammer.

“Is something them ma-” Martel began but nearly bit his tongue, generally stunned.

In front of Martel stood Sakura, fidgeting in embarrassment. Her face had become the same color as her hair. Sakura wore a bunny suit and one so risqué that even casinos wouldn’t allow it.

Martel dryly coughed in embarrassed chastisement for wondering where Sakura hid those two white rabbits so clearly on display before he glanced away. “Is there something I can help you with?”

Sakura trembled before she clenched her fists with determination, yet her weak voice spilled out. “I’ve come to spend the night with you.”

“… Did your parents put you up to this?”

Sakura briefly flinched before she nodded her head.

Martel sighed as he understood, thanks to having overheard Sakura’s mother. Finances were often stretched thin as it was, and the mother and daughter had only just returned. Even if they weren’t, something similar would most likely transpire. After several days of interactions, Sakura’s mother settled on Martel as a son-in-law after observing his demeanor and actions. Her father would also want it for the intimate ties with a hero. Being connected with a hero was far more valuable to a Demihuman Dutchy than a Human Kingdom.

Silently, Martel stood up and approached Sakura. In response, Sakura began to shiver and closed her eyes. Even though her mother did her best, she wasn’t naïve. However, her circumstances were not enough for her to give up. Though she committed acts that were not completely ethical, she did so to save her mother. Part of her had dreamed of what life would be like after they were free. Perhaps she would find someone to spend the rest of her life with. However, she never pictured herself in this situation other than a nightmare. In her mind, the only thing that made it bearable was Martel, not someone else.

Suddenly, Sakura’s chaotic thoughts were covered, along with her body, as Martel placed a light cloak over her. Stunned by the unexpected action, Sakura only blankly looked at Martel’s face.

Martel gently patted her head with a comforting smile. “I’m not that kind of person. Regardless of what you’re saying, you are unwilling. Don’t worry about the small things. From the moment you joined us, I had already decided to be responsible for you. I’m already asking a lot of you; to fight the Waves. I won’t ask anymore, nor will I ignore your problems. If you or your family is in trouble, I will do my best to help.”

Sakura remained frozen as she took in Martel’s words. It was a strange sensation as his gentle and sincere words caressed her chaotic heart. She had experienced so little goodwill, much less from strangers in her time of need. Tears began to form in her eyes, though she desperately tried to fight them back.

Martel took her hand and began to guide her out the door. “You’ll have tomorrow off, and I will be busy, so you can do what you want. I would appreciate it if you got to know everyone better.”

Wordlessly, Sakura nodded as she allowed Martel to bring her to her room.

“Have a good night. I’m going to check in on the others.”

After several seconds, and his footsteps disappeared, Sakura collapsed on the floor as tears began to spill from her eyes. They were not tears of sorrow but tears of relief. It took her a lot of courage to wear something demeaning and ask for something she felt was degrading. Behind that courage, there was only fear. The fear that had been built up her entire life dodging the very thing she was presenting herself for. Eventually, the tears lessened, and she wearily removed her clothing and put on a nightgown before falling asleep without noticing that the fear in her heart had significantly lessened.

Martel made his way to Kogane’s room, where he knocked.

“Coming,” Kogane politely replied before she opened the door. The serious look on her face quickly melted as soon as she saw him. “Papa!” She happily shouted as she jumped into his arms and gave him a quick peck on the cheek. “Why did you come to see me? Is this what they call night prowling? But I’ve not dressed appropriately. Ouch! Why did you flick my forehead?” She asked with a pout as she rubbed her head.

“Where did you hear such crazy things?” Martel asked as he entered the room and sat down while Kogane insisted on his lap.

“Mama told me,” Kogane replied.

Martel’s eyebrow twitched, knowing another topic he would bring to Rio.

“I just want to check in on how you’re doing.”

“I’m doing all right. Thank you for providing so many interesting books.” Kogane replied happily.

“Of course. You have tomorrow off, but I want you to try socializing with everyone.”

“… I think I’d rather read.”

Martel poked her nose. “That’s fine. Spend the time as you’d like.”

Kogane gave a big smile.

“Well, I’ll go check on the others now.”

Kogane’s face quickly became downturned, but he obediently jumped off his lap and politely escorted them out. However, he did catch her peeking through the door for an extra second as he left.

Eventually, Martel made his way to Hestia’s room and knocked.

“One moment,” Hestia said before approaching and opening the door. Her eyes slightly jumped in surprise upon seeing Martel. “Sir, do you need something?” 

“No, I’m just checking in to ensure you take tomorrow off.”

Hestia nodded. “I will. I plan to do some reading.”

“That new cookbook? I can’t wait.”

Hestia’s stoic expression slightly broke as she saw the expectation appear on his face. “Then I hope I can live up to your expectations.”

“I’m sure it will. I’m curious, do you cook simply for enjoyment, or do you cook for others?”

Hestia was slightly taken aback by the question but pondered seriously for several seconds. “I would still cook more than just for necessity as it helps relieve my stress. However, if not cooking for others, I don’t think I would try to improve myself as much as I have been.”

“Understandable. However, don’t forget to take care of your health. You spend all day in your hot armor, don’t spend the rest in a hot kitchen.”

“I understand. I appreciate your concern, and I’ll make sure not to overdo it. Thanks to your constant good care, I haven’t had any issues yet.”

“Good. Don’t forget to let me know if something feels wrong. Catching problems in their infancy is better than letting wounds aggregate.”

“I will,” Hestia replied, a little reserved due to the embarrassment of remembering the previous health sessions.

“Well then, I will go check in with the others, so I’ll let you get back to your rest.”

“Yes, sir, thank you,” Hestia replied before she saw Martel off.

...

Martel knocked on a door, and silence ensued. Then, the door opened slightly, quietly, and subtly that a lesser person may not have noticed. A subtle revolting smell wafted out from within the darkroom as a face half peered around the crack revealing four eyes.

“Arachne, is it not convenient?” Martel asked.

“Patriarch, my apologies,” Arachne said as she opened the door.

Martel glanced around the room. “Arachne, I’m happy you continue enhancing your poisoning, but please do it in moderation. Make sure to take some time off.”

“I understand. However, I have little to do otherwise.”

“Just so long as you are pushing yourself. By the way, I’ll ask if we can get you a room outside the mansion. Your current concoction has a subtle smell, and it would be impolite of our host to leave the room with such an order.”

Arachne’s eight eyes blinked twice. “I hadn’t considered it.”

“Part of me thinks you don’t care,” Martel chuckled.

Arachne tilted her head to think about it but did not reply as if she had concluded that she had consented to the statement. 

“I’ll still request a solitary location as it is my responsibility. By the way, even though you are technically a slave, I consider you a companion. You don’t have to act so reserved around me and be yourself.”

Arachne tilted her head, slightly confused. “Thank you for your consideration, but your thoughts are unfounded. Just let me do some occasional gutting.”

Martel’s eyebrow twitched. “… Only if ever appropriate, which should be rare.”

Eight eyes flashed with disappointment. “I understand. Is there anything else?”

“No, I’ll see you later,” Martel replied as he left.

“Patriarch.” Arachne suddenly called out, which prompted Martel to stop and turn. “Although the circumstances of our meeting were unusual, thank you for taking me in.”

A little surprised, Martel smiled with a nod and continued.

Martel knocked on the door, beyond which he could hear grinding metal. After a few seconds, a young lady of shorter stature opened the door.

“Teacher!” Crystal exclaimed.

“I didn’t interrupt anything important, did I?”

“No. I’m just doing some maintenance.”

“Well, just make sure you take some time for yourself. After the next Wave, we will spend plenty of time on the forge.”

“Really? I can’t wait!”

Martel made a bitter smile when he saw how excited she was. I hope my teaching will be up to your expectation, and I’ll let you get back to what you are doing.”

“Got it. Thank you, teacher.”

“So? What do you want?” Lily asked when she answered the door.

“I was just making sure you have everything you need.” *Slam* “… I’ll take that as a yes.”

“Master, why are you here?” Laelynn said as she answered the door with a beaming smile.

“I’m just making sure you’re keeping the motley crew in check,” Martel chuckled.

“Elder brother, why are you being so mean?” Asuka asked as she flew from Ruby’s head over to Martel’s shoulder and rubbed against his cheek.

“Asuka, have you been? Have you enjoyed our journey so far?”

“I’ve been very good. It’s fun to fly around and see new scenes.” She replied, expressing her contentment.

Martel rubbed the top of her head as he turned back to Laelynn. “Where is Rose?”

“She said she was uncomfortable being walled in by stone, so she went to the garden after promising to behave.”

“Well, I suppose that is to be expected. How are you doing.”

Laelynn tilted her head as her ears waggled slightly. “I’m doing very well, Master.”

Martel officially brushed aside her hair before he gave her cheek a slight pinch. “If you need anything, let me know.”

Laelynn happily nodded, and Martel continued.

“Ugh, why can’t I reach?” Cynthia mumbled to herself just before there was a knock at the door. “Coming.” She said as she opened the door. “My Lord, what brings you here?” She reflexively asked.

“Just checking in. Are you all right? I heard you mumbling about something.”

“Yes, I was brushing my hair but can’t reach much.”

“Ah, Hestia usually helps you with that, right?”

“Yes, but I forgot where her room was,” Cynthia replied, embarrassed.

“I can do that for you too. I took care of horses back in my world.”

Cynthia flinched. “Ah, I guess.” She replied flexibly but slightly regretted it.

“I’ll start then,” Martel nonchalantly replied as he grabbed a brush and began. “Be honest. Are you feeling any resentment for how I recruited you?”

“Not at all, my Lord. I’m happy you ~hmn~ did so. The Wave affects all of us, and I *gasp* want to be a part of it. You are wise, kind, and resourceful, and I’m sure you will put my ~mhn~ talents to the best use.”

“I’m flattered by your praise. However, I hope you don’t see me as a saint, as I am not one.”

Cynthia nodded but did not respond.

“Here we go, all done,” Martel said as he put away the brush before concern came across his face. “Cynthia, are you feeling alright? Your face is red, and you are breathing heavily.”

Cynthia’s face grew even redder. “Milord, I am not feeling well. Could I be alone?”

“Of course, let me know if there’s anything you don’t need to push.” *Slam* “... How odd.”

...

*Knock knock* *crash* “Shit.”

“Is everything alright?” Martel asked as he cracked open the door.

“Yes, you just startled me. It’s fine, not expensive, and I just started.” Perenelle replied as she began to pick up the piece of glass.

“With this mess, I think this will be more efficient,” Martel said as a mass of mana left his hand towards the mess. The fluids quickly evaporated, and the glass moved into a pile.

“You’re finite control is impressive.”

“Thanks. I think finesse is more important than brute force, though brute force does have its merits.”

“I see. Is there anything you need?”

“I came to see if there’s anything you need.”

“I’m almost done reading the book you provided. Please give me a new one.”

“Of course, just don’t forget to take a break.”

“Of course. Now then, I’d like to begin. The process I will start happens overnight, and the faster I complete it, the faster I get to bed.”

“I understand. I’ll get out of your way.” Martel said before he exited the room.

...

Martel knocked on the door after coming from Kappa’s room. He was going to check in with her but stopped when he heard her snoring.

“It’s unlocked,” Pasiphae said from the other side of the door.

Martel opened the door just in time to see a grayish figure charge him with an extended hand. Out of reflex, Martel blocked the encroaching hand with his as he glanced at Eferhild with a slight frown. Eferhild, on the other hand, had a smile that increased with her force. Eventually, she struck with her other hand, which Martel blocked, bringing them to a standstill.

Without Ki, Martel started to struggle. Unlike Martel, Eferhild had focused on her strength. Eferhild, however, was delighted with the situation. She knew full well that Martel did not focus on strength. Her stature, height, and muscle mass were extremely advantageous, yet her strength seemed tied with his. However, it became apparent that Martel was struggling. Sensing his slight weakness, Eferhild brought both hands to the sides underneath before she leaned down and pushed him into the air to a nearby bed.

Slightly disoriented, Martel didn’t get his bearings until Eferhild straddled him. “... What are you doing?”

Eferhild gave a big smile, revealing her tusks. “Well, over this time, you’ve passed all my tests. I shall grant you the honor of being my man. Congratulations.”

Sitting on a chair in the room, Pasiphae suddenly began to cough violently on her drink.

“Don’t worry. I won’t steal him from you.” Eferheald teased.

Pasiphae did not respond but only looked down at her drink.

“You shouldn’t make remarks about other people’s feelings,” Martel replied.

Eferhild rolled her eyes. “Please. As if a loner like her would let any man grope her tits.”

With a *Crunch*, Pasiphae unintentionally crushed her cup and turned her back to them.

“Coward,” Eferhild mumbled as she turned back to Martel. “Now then, where were we?”

“You were just about to get off me.”

“Nice try.”

“Okay, what were the tests you mentioned.”

“Decent morals, decent strength, and a decent head on your shoulders.”

Martel’s eyebrow twitched. “Nice to know that I’m decent.”

“Based on my standards, that’s no small feat. Now then, enough with the stalling. Let’s get started.”

“Please get off me.”

“No.” Eferhild persisted with a chuckle.

Martel frowned slightly and was about to use force but didn’t have to.

Eferhild glanced at the hand on her shoulder before looking at the still red-faced Pasiphae. “Is there something?” Eferhild asked with a hint of annoyance.

“Stop. You shouldn’t force this type of thing.”

Eferhild’s eyes narrowed as they got into a staring contest. Eventually, Eferhild clicked her tongue, got off Martel, and began to exit the room.

“Where are you going?” Pasiphae asked, slightly regretting that she may have angered her second friend.

“To give you five minutes.”

“For what?”

“You have a tell when you are… Uncomfortable.” Eferhild said before she closed the door.

Pasiphae blinked in surprise before her face turned even redder.

“We should do this now before she gets back,” Martel replied, knowing what was happening.

Pasiphae nodded her head.

Several minutes later, an extremely red-faced Pasiphae’s on the bed. “Don’t put too much thought into what she said. I don’t need anything special. Just… I would like a child in the future.”

“I know,” Marty replied, sitting next to her. He glanced at her face, though she did not know as she refused to look at him out of embarrassment. Martel was slightly amused by how she acted. She was strange. Fearless on the battlefield yet socially awkward, becoming more so, at least with him, as time passed. Martel and Pasiphae had spoken little between them, but they had slowly grown together, all the same.

“Well, I’ll be going,” Martel said.

Pasiphae wordlessly nodded but suddenly flinched when Martel kissed her cheek and bolted.

Martel closes the door just in time for a big arm to be wrapped around his neck, putting him against a very muscular yet soft chest.

Eferhild leaned in with a toothy grin. “Don’t forget, I don’t care how many women you have, just that I am one of them.”

Martel slightly smiled, then, with Ki, he reversed their positions as a thin trace of killing intent leaked out. “Don’t forget that I’m stronger than you.”

Then, Martel left as he ignored the trembling Eferhild.

Eferhild stayed still for several seconds as she calmed down, not from fear, as she watched Martel leave before she turned toward and opened the door. “Moooooo!”

“Shut it.”

“I’m just copying what I heard.”

...

“Martel, hi.”

“Megumi, how are you doing?”

“Better.”

“Are you still scared?”

Megumi looked down. “A little.”

“That’s okay. You know, when I saw him, I was scared too.”

“Really?” She asked as she looked up with astonishment.

Martel chuckled at her reaction. “Of course. I’m mortal; it would be abnormal if I never felt fear. Fear is a powerful tool that helps us overcome our limitations and guide our actions. The problem is when fear controls us and prevents us from doing rational actions.”

“How come it didn’t bother you?”

“Because I thought of something even scarier.”

“Really? Something scarier than that Dragon? What?”

Martel gently patted her shoulder. “Losing someone I care about.” 

Unlike the others, Megumi did not read more into his blunt and honest remarks. She was happy to have someone care about her. The only person who had ever cared about her was her mother. Megumi thought that would never change until recently. “I understand.”

“Good. Now go rest.”

Megumi nodded and stared at Martel for a couple of seconds before she closed the door.

“My Prince! How wonderful to see you!”

“Ariel, how are you doing? Are you okay staying away from water for so long?”

“Yes. I just need to cast a little water magic and stay hydrated. I can stay on land indefinitely. However, I would find that problematic if not for the wheelchair.”

“Well, I’m glad it works so well for you.”

“I wish you had told me you were coming; I would’ve made myself more presentable.”

“Presentable? What for?”

“To dedicate myself to my Prince, of course. I’d like the cleanup first if you don’t mind coming back in… An hour.”

“No need,” Martel replied as he rubbed his eyebrows. “I just came to do a quick check-in and see if you need anything.”

“All I need is my Prince.”

“I see. Well, take tomorrow off and relax. I’ll be busy most of the morning.”

“Okay.” Ariel replied in clear disappointment.” I suppose you are checking in with everyone?”

“I am.”

“I see. Then I shan’t keep you any longer.” Ariel replied as she reached for the door but suddenly fell out of her wheelchair. “Shoot, I’m still trying to get used to that. Say, could you?” She asked as she extended her hands to him.

Wordlessly and expressionlessly, Martel reached down and picked her up in a princess carry. Just as he sat her back in the wheelchair, Ariel quickly kissed his cheek. “A reward, for my Prince.”

“If it happens again, use the call function for help. I’m sure Pasiphae would be willing to help you next time.”

“I’ll do that,” Ariel replied, a little miffed that Martel did not react to his reward.

“Take care.”

“I will.”

“Echidna, how are you-” Martel began but was cut short as Echidna pulled him into her room when she saw him. He looked at her, slightly confused, as she glanced down the hallway before closing the door after confirming no one saw.

Echidna turned to face Martel before giving a gentle smile and slightly bowed. “My apologies, Master. It’s getting late. Gossip is a noble’s pastime, and I would hate for any untoward rumors to spread.”

Martel smiled and slight amusement. “That is considerate of you. However, I could care less.”

Echidna smiled as she covered her mouth with her hand. “Then, my apologies for overstepping. Is there something you need me for? Perhaps a massage?”

“While that is tempting, I’ve just come to ensure you are okay and see if you need anything.”

“Thank you for your concern, Master. Though it normally would be impertinent for someone in my position to ask you something, I know you would be angry at me if I didn’t. However, there is nothing you currently want that you will give me.”

“I see, then have a good night and make sure you take tomorrow off,” Martel replied, seemingly ignoring the hints of disappointment in her last sentence.

“I will,” Echidna replied.

Even after everything Echidna said, she checked the hallway before allowing Martel to leave.

Martel had finally come full circle as he knocked on the last door for the evening. 

“It’s open, hubby.”

Martel made a bitter smile as he opened the door. “How do you know it was me?”

“Who else would it be?” Rio replied with a sly smile as she lay lazily on the bed, her clothing in slight disarray. “Come, sit.”

Martel closed the door and sat down on her bed.

“To what do I owe the pleasure of your company?” Rio asked with a smile.

“I just want to see if you need anything and ensure you take tomorrow off.”

“Thank you for your concern.” Rio replied with a smile. However, all of a sudden, her smile grew thicker. She then crawled over to Martel and used his lap as a pillow.

“What are you doing?” Martel asked when she saw the teasing expression light up in her eyes.

“I just want to get more intimate with you. After all, I will be your mother-in-law and your wife in the future.” Rio replied, with the second half notably quieter.

“Nothing set in stone yet.”

“Don’t think I’ll let you go so easily.”

Martel rolled his eyes as he could tell she was not completely serious. “I shall go now.”

“Walk slowly. I want to enjoy the view.”

As he hastily exited the room, Martel left behind a chuckling Rio.

“Strange, didn’t I close this door?” He mumbled to himself. However, that thought quickly went to the back of his mind as those thoughts were superseded. Tomorrow was going to be a big day.

End of Day 105

2