Chapter 255: Inventing the Girl
21 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Cannoli’s heart hammered against her chest. She wanted so badly to look behind her and make sure that Buttons and Freckles went unseen. That the blanket hiding them hadn’t moved. But even the tiniest glance could mean their capture—if Muzhira hadn’t spotted the blazards already.

“S-Sister Cecilia,” Rozalyn stammered, then bowed deeply. “My apologies.”

Sister Cecilia had blue hair the color of the sky that tumbled over the dazzling white and gold of her robes. Dozens of sapphires sparkled from their tendrils, wrapped and twined in mindful placements where none touched the others. Her soft features would suggest a kind face, but her silver eyes glimmered with disappointment. She stood just as tall as Muzhira, and her slender ears and thick tail ended in white tufts of fur.

“Cannoli, you were late to your lesson on your first day,” Sister Cecilia chided. “This is unwise and a bleak look for your future.”

“I’m so sorry, Sister Cecilia! I think my nerves got the best of me.” Cannoli mirrored Rozalyn’s bow. Tears burned in the backs of her eyes, and she forced them down. I will not be a disappointment! “Rozalyn was very kind in showing me this room as a place to catch my breath.”

“There are correctly sanctioned areas of the temple for which you may regain composure, Cannoli. Rozalyn, in your three weeks of attendance, you should very well be accustomed to them by now.” Sister Cecilia’s voice lost its edge.

Cannoli caught her breath. They hadn’t seen the blazards. “I will familiarize myself with them immediately, Sister Cecilia. Outside of my lesson time, of course.” She rose, cautiously searching Cecilia’s face. The pink on the sister’s cheeks had vanished, and her eyes warmed. 

“Pardon my interference, Sister Cecilia, but I’m certain I overheard them speaking of hiding something,” Muzhira said, pitching her tone toward curious innocence.

Cannoli’s heart skipped. She forced her features to stay blank. Muzhira had been following them in the shadows.

Rozalyn straightened. “Ourselves,” she replied. “It is as Cannoli says. Such a drastic change in our lives feels overwhelming at times. Not all of us have taken to our path as adeptly as you have, Muzhira.”

For a split second, Muzhira furrowed her brows and frowned. It vanished when Sister Cecilia turned to look at her.

“We are wasting valuable time, ladies. I would ask you to refrain from visiting this wing of the temple and utilizing acceptable resources in the future,” Cecilia instructed. “Now, Cannoli will come with me, and I trust you two will return to your studies?”

“Yes, Sister Cecilia,” Rozalyn and Muzhira replied in unison.

“Very good. Cannoli? If you will?”

“O-of course!” Cannoli skipped forward, forgetting her attempts to soften her steps. After the first two fell like boulders crashing into the ocean, she remembered herself and slowed. Now that Buttons was safe, she couldn’t let her excitement get the better of her.

Sister Cecilia smiled—a warm, genuine reaction that reached her eyes. “Let this be our first lesson.” She gestured to their feet as they entered the cool hallway. “Silent steps require a sound mind and prepared body. We must first be aware of our surroundings and steady our breathing.” Raising her hands to the height of her chest, Cecilia took a deep breath in, then slowly exhaled, lowering her hands with it. “We will walk as we breathe. Let us start there. Try to match your steps with mine.”

It sounded simple in practice, but Cannoli realized it required her to pay close attention to the cadence of her breathing alongside the timing of her steps, and that was outside of keeping up with Cecilia. She was so focused on the task that she didn’t see Rozalyn or Muzhira pass her. They reached the hallways and continued around the storage boxes. Cecilia was a patient teacher, offering tidbits of advice here and there, a much different approach to the streams of information Cannoli had seen in the Venicia School of Etiquette.

Cecilia stopped at the double doors to the library and raised a hand. “Very good, Cannoli. We will work on this first thing each afternoon.” She opened the doors and gestured for Cannoli to enter.

When Cannoli stepped across the threshold, her eyes widened, and her breath caught. “Oh my goodness,” she murmured.

Multiple shelves flanked by golden columns protruded from the walls, each housing six rows of polished wood and filled from edge to edge with books. The design continued to the second story, where smooth railings protected curious initiates from stepping over the edge. Painted murals of Saoirse and her masked prophets appeared in detailed circles on the ceiling, surrounded by ivory sculptures and gold filigree flecked with sapphires. The tiled floor featured floral mosaics among the alternating gold and white squares.

Inside the alcoves created by bookshelves were initiates poring over books and taking notes. Others with two thick tomes open seemed to be copying scripts and hymns. A few read for pleasure, curled up in a corner chair with their tails tucked around their ankles.

“Marvelous, isn’t it?” Cecilia asked.

“Yes. Oh my, yes. How many books are here?”

“Fifteen hundred. It is Nyarlea’s largest collection to date.”

Cannoli gaped. “This feels like a dream.” It seemed impossible to have so many books in one building. As a kitten, Mother returning home with a book was a cause for celebration. Cannoli had treasured her small collection of reading material and read them so many times that the ink was beginning to fade.

“Let us hope you feel the same way while you study.” A knowing smile twitched at the corners of Cecilia’s lips. “You will spend much time with these tomes.”

“I look forward to it,” Cannoli replied honestly.

“Good. Today, however, we must attune you to a weapon.” Sister Cecilia marched forward before Cannoli could ask what she meant.

Cannoli skipped to catch up, then focused again on her breathing and keeping time with Cecilia. Her steps had quieted just a little, but it was a start. They made their way to the back of the library, where Cecilia unlocked a white door with a key around her wrist. Cannoli moved inside, and Cecilia locked the door behind them.

“This is the armory,” Cecilia said. “You are only to come here with an instructor, regardless of whether your peer has found an errant key.” A hint of humor touched her words, but Cannoli blushed all the same. “Do I make myself clear?”

“Yes, ma’am,” Cannoli said with a nod.

“Excellent. Over here, then.”

Cannoli crossed the circular room, noting the different weapons on the walls, the complicated sigils and diagrams sketched on aging pieces of parchment, and the Enchanted lamps that flickered to life as they passed.

“Please shift to [Combat Mode], Cannoli,” Cecilia instructed.

Cannoli recalled so long ago when she’d found so much joy in changing into her [Combat Mode]. The idea of saving her friends and helping her Party had made her truly feel magical. Matt and Keke had teased her, but she still loved turning the routine into a spectacle.

Now, changing into her offensive gear twisted her stomach. It meant something, or someone, was about to die. And there was nothing she could do about it.

“Cannoli?” Cecilia repeated.

“S-sorry. [Combat Mode].” Cannoli watched as the white robes vanished, replaced by the resplendent silks and satins Cailu had purchased for her. The gear was stunning, perfect, and beautiful. Cannoli still didn’t feel like she deserved a single piece of it.

A look of stunned surprise widened Cecilia’s eyes and mouth. “Where do you hail from, child?”

“Ni Island.” Cannoli’s blush deepend. “I’ve been with Matt— …with my island’s man since his birth. We were in a lot of fights, so San Island’s man, Cailu, bought us all armor.”

“They work together? The men?” Cecilia remarked.

“Well, Cailu’s trying to get them all to work together.” Cannoli’s stomach twisted. The duel between Cailu and Magni flashed in her mind’s eye. It felt blasphemous to say what they’d done out loud, especially inside of Saoirse’s temple. “Does…uniting the men go against Saoirse’s teachings, Sister Cecilia?”

“I see you carry difficult questions.” Cecilia observed Cannoli for a long time, eyes thoughtfully searching her face. “While there is not a set precedent for the men uniting, we will make it a lesson for another day. Can you summon your weapon for me?”

Cannoli did as Cecilia asked. Her armor may have been luxurious, but she wielded the same scepter she’d held since she could first access [Combat Mode]. 

Cecilia held out her hand, and Cannoli passed the scepter over for inspection. “Quite a dichotomy in quality.” Cecilia chuckled.

“I’ve never tried anything else,” Cannoli admitted. “I wouldn’t know what weapon to ask for.”

Cecilia nodded and turned toward the wall of weapons. “This Level of equipment is what I’m more accustomed to seeing from new initiates. It’s nothing to be ashamed of.

“You will still gain benefits for using a scepter if you so choose, but it is best to test them all and find what fits you. Your weapon serves as an extension of yourself and thus an extension of Saoirse.” Cecilia selected a hammer and held it across both hands in a display. “Hammers will grant you great Strength and fortitude. They are an excellent choice for those seeking the best protection for themselves or those who journey alone.” She passed it to Cannoli.

Cannoli accepted the handle and was surprised by the weight when she lifted it. Her arm drooped as she choked up toward the carved metal block. “So I would, um, attack things with this?”

“Yes. There are multiple Spells to imbue the end with the holy element. It would also require you to allocate a section of your Stats to Strength.”

Matt cleaving Encroacher after Encroacher came to mind. Cannoli shook her head furiously and held out the hammer. “I can’t use this.”

Cecilia nodded and accepted the weapon before returning it to the wall. She lifted a staff lying horizontally on its two prongs, then turned to Cannoli. “Staves are for those who seek to attack from afar, granting the wielder a fiery offensive holy magic that is incredibly potent against the Defiled.”

The staff was lighter in Cannoli’s grasp, and she found it most comfortable if she held it in both hands. Fiery offensive… But they already had Ravyn’s unmatched fire Spells. Besides, Cannoli didn’t want to hurt anyone anymore. She wanted to heal them. Help them. “I don’t think this one is for me, either.”

“Understood.” Cecilia replaced the staff, then reached for the final weapon—a golden scepter imbued with glittering sapphires. “This scepter is of a higher quality, so it may feel different in your hands.” She passed it to Cannoli. “Scepters will grant you additional healing abilities, as well as assistance to your Sigil Spells, which you will discuss with Sister Madeleine in your evening lessons.”

The balance of the golden scepter was perfect, and the grip in Cannoli’s hand felt right. “This is it, Sister Cecilia. This is the weapon I want.”

“Very good, then. Once you’ve passed my initial training, we will forge you one just like it.” Cecilia exchanged the golden scepter for Cannoli’s with a nod. “It seems you’ve had much experience traveling in your Party, Cannoli. I look forward to your sessions.”

“Thank you, Sister Cecilia. I do, too.”

For just a few heartbeats, Cannoli imagined her [Combat Mode] routine again, and she smiled.

gepwVN2.png

Everyone's a Catgirl! Volume One is out now on Kindle Unlimited, Paperback, and Audible! Volume Two and Volume Three are available on eBook and Paperback. Subscribe to the Newsletter for community updates!

Thanks for reading!

Be sure to check out my Patreon for early access chapters, NSFW chapters, full-size artwork, and more.

Many thanks to my Patrons!

Yomi’s Tier: SkySom, DiscountDan

S-Tier: Queen Toast, Ed, Flaming Moose, Alex bagster-collins, William Martin

Saphira’s Tier: Cat LaCroix, PhantomKnight, DuSkulblaka, nick0, Runecaster, Lazarus G, LT_Ashpole, GreatFireLegend, 0hawkclaw0

Spoiler

R. A. Hollatz, Sir Galahad II, Powerhalf, Mitchell Aberson, Parker Lee, Matt[hew] D Christensen, SirJoe, Elissia, Travis, JC Quinn, HariboHeadHunter, cakemanlink, King Jerkera, waymogunz, Phil, Allen Mainville, Centhi, Khii, Matt[hew] Johnson, Pastafarian, Jason Walker, Belkorin, Steve Tatum, Rodney the Paladin, ribs, ICE.Paragon, Rassarion, Philipp Klingenberg, Darkflint, Smithman774,  Kyle McCoy, Martin Hensel, Cameron Garfalk, blackmambauk, NekoPix, Michael Nowotny, Zerum Sparklez, Joshua williams, Michelle Hundt, Dave, Emily, Skade, Rosalee, SharktoothJack, Babodi Balázs, SyloSpectre, quin, Tonk, blackwolf393, Twelve, phillip ince, hanani, Blaze, Shags, Ranger Frank, Wulfen, Wesley Gathercole, Zak Stromquist, Spencer decoteau, Jacob Moore, Alex H Cowley, Zeklor, Carmine, Neko1967, KH, Bilman

[collapse]

Please remember to follow, favorite, and rate!

Patreon | Store | Discord

2