Chapter 152: Let You Down
98 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Zahra led us to a tavern named Good Grace. A catgirl with ragged pink hair pointed to a pair of tables in the corner, and we shouldered our way through the herd of catgirls. I swore I heard the stool crack under my weight when I sat down.

I’m not going to break my neck on this thing, am I?

Judging from the awkward looks I saw on the faces of our Parties, I had to assume everyone else had similar thoughts.

“Let’s move the tables together,” Zahra suggested, dragging one of the round tables closer to the other.

“So why here instead of the Tipsy Tortoise?” Tristan took his spot at the opposite end of our makeshift banquet table.

“I know the waitresses here. They should give us better service.” Zahra sat on a stool of her own between the two tables. “I can’t say the same for the other taverns.”

“Still…I’m a little uncomfortable,” Cannoli admitted, tapping her fingertips together.

“Yeah, it feels like we’re being stared at,” Keke said.

“Fine by me,” Ravyn said. “At least I know where they stand. We’ll see a backstabber coming from a mile away.”

“I just hope we don’t come to blows. I would hate for us to be thrown out of the city so quickly,” Destiny said, glancing over her shoulder.

“I don’t think we’ll have to worry about that,” Tristan said, shaking his head and grasping Destiny’s hand atop the table. He rubbed his thumb against the indent of her index and thumb fingers. “It’ll be our word versus theirs. Even with this level of hostility, I think the girls know better than to pick a fight with two men and their Parties.”

Zahra nodded. “It’s as he says. Even if it did come that far, we still have strength in numbers.”

“Yeah, so, by the way, you wanna tell us what the fuck happened back there?” Ravyn asked with a furrowed brow as she crossed one long leg over the other.

Don’t backstab us, bitch! Squawwwk!” Ball cried. 

A couple of the catgirls close to us covered their ears and got up to find another table.

“Bally, I need you to be quiet for a bit.” Ravyn clamped her hand over the bird’s beak. “Understood?”

Ball narrowed his eyes and tilted his head but said nothing more.

“You’re right. I owe you an explanation,” Zara replied. “I wasn’t lying when I said I wanted to come here to see what I could do to help.”

“You just withheld information,” Ravyn snapped.

“Ravyn, chill,” I said.

“No, she’s right. I intentionally hid that from you.” Zahra turned to her right to look at Tristan. “I owe you an apology especially. You welcomed me into your Party, and I took advantage of that trust. I’m sorry.”

Tristan’s gaze veered to the left. “There’s nothing we can do about it now.” He scratched the back of his neck. “I’m not even sure if there would’ve been a good way to bring that up. It looks like you and Sanrai have a rough relationship.”

“It’s complicated, to say the least.” Zahra sighed. “I couldn’t let her push one of her own around like that.”

“Has she always had such abrasive behaviors?” asked Ceres.

“Mostly,” said Zahra. “Sanrai has little patience for emotions, excuses, or any weakness for that matter. I was very much the same for some time.”

“Hold on,” I said, raising my hand. “Zahra, I don’t think we need to hear this. What goes on between you and your sister isn’t really any of our business,” I shrugged. “If you still want to help us get Magni to see reason, then I don’t have any issue with you joining us.” I looked at our other Party leader. “Right, Tristan?”

He paused, then nodded. “Agreed. What can you tell us about this city?”

A soft smile tugged at the corners of Zahra’s mouth. “I’ll share everything I know. Ask away.”

“If I may,” Ceres said, raising her hand. “What purpose do the Ejderha serve? Do they enforce the law?”

Zahra smirked. “Nothing so noble. Their purpose is simple—eliminate the Defiled and sniff out any other enemies Rājadhānī may have.”

I frowned. “What about the Guild Hall?”

“Rājadhānī does not have a typical Guild Hall.” Zahra sighed. “Quests require the approval of the Ejderha before a catgirl can take it.”

Mattaku. What a stupid fucking system,” said Ravyn. Her comment drew glares from a few other catgirls. “Travelers aren’t allowed past the Third Shell, then the Guild Hall has to go through a song and dance just to get any work done?”

Zahra put a finger to her lips. “Not so loudly.” She craned her head, looking to her left and then to her right. “Yes. That’s just how it goes. The Guild Hall doesn’t see a lot of business because of it. They’ve been in danger of closing down for some time.”

“Since when?” I asked. In no other world could I think of a scenario where the absence of a Guild Hall would benefit anyone.

“Since they finished the wall separating the Third Shell last year,” Zahra whispered. “The inner Shells don’t require the work since they greatly benefit from the tax payouts.”

“If I may be so bold, it sounds like King Magni would see the Guild Hall removed,” said Ceres.

“But how will the other catgirls find work?” asked Destiny. “The Guild Hall serves as a fantastic way to earn Bells if you don’t have a shop or business of your own.” She put a hand to her chest and bowed her head. “How awful.”

“Where’s the waitress?” asked Ravyn. “I’m desperate for a drink.”

“Come to think of it, what’s taking so long?” asked Keke. “Shouldn’t we have seen our server at least?”

As if on cue, a catgirl with fiery-orange hair and tips dyed red came to our table. She wore a moth-eaten blouse and skirt, and a sheen of sweat was collecting on her forehead. A large bruise darkened the skin around her wrist. “I’m so sorry for the wait! What can I get for you?” Her abnormally thin hands were trembling.

The bones look like they’re seconds away from poking out of her skin. What the hell?

“Uh, just something light and cheap. Whatever you got is fine,” I said.

“I’ll take what he’s having,” said Keke.

“Just water, please,” Cannoli said with a whimper.

“A-ah! Sorry, we can’t offer water,” said the waitress.

“Hah?” Ravyn unfolded her legs and leaned on the table with her elbow. “You can’t offer water?”

“Ravyn, it’s okay,” I said with my hand out toward her.

“No, it’s not. Cannoli needs water.”

“P-please don’t fight, it’s okay,” said Cannoli. “I’ll just take something without alcohol. Tea?” The waitress shook her head uncomfortably. “Oh. Okay. Just… anything, then. Thanks.”

After penning our orders, the waitress practically ran away with her head bowed.

“I could draw the water from the drinks,” Lara offered Cannoli with a half-smile.

“Oh, could you? That would be great,” Cannoli said with a clap. “I was hoping to get water that wasn’t in a pouch or a flask, but, um, I understand if that’s not possible.”

“Water’s in a good mood right now, so I’ll speak with her when our drinks come.”

Oh good. Where would we be if Water was in a bad mood?

“Something was wrong with our waitress,” said Keke. “Did you see the bruise on her hand?”

“Yeah,” I said. “She needs to eat more than we do.”

“Someone has her on a short leash,” said Zahra.

A rare frown crossed Ceres’ features. “I dislike the heavy atmosphere of Rājadhānī. We simply must do something to help these girls. My pride as a knight demands it. What of you, Sir Matt?”

“You might want to hold back on that,” Zahra suggested. “Depending on who hears you, it could be you who sits in a cage next.”

“They wouldn’t lock up a man. Such actions could invite the queen’s wrath,” said Tristan.

“Haha. Sorry, forgive me. But I don’t think the queen could care less about what happens to this place.” Zahra put her elbow on the table and made several complex facial expressions before resting her chin in her hand.

“When’s the last time the queen was here?” I asked.

“I don’t know.” Zahra shrugged. “I’ve never seen her.”

“Any subordinates?” asked Tristan.

Zahra shook her head. “Not a single one. At times, it feels like Nyarlothep’s abandoned us.”

Moments later, our waitress reappeared with two trays. “Sorry for the wait!” As she set each drink down, I quietly looked to see if there were any other signs of harm on her body. Sure enough, there was another bruise on the nape of her neck and a few cuts on the inner bend of her elbow. When she finished setting them down, I stood and gently caught her by the hand before she could get away.

“W-what?” she squeaked.

“How did you get those wounds?” I asked, trying to sound as trusting as possible.

That was the wrong thing to do. Her eyes widened. Like a frightened animal, she turned her head one way and then the other. She shook my loose grip away and disappeared into the crowd of catgirls.

Keke rose to her feet and put a hand on my shoulder. “Matt, don’t pursue her. I think there’s a lot more going on than we know.”

Damn it.

I fell back into my chair, and immediate regret took hold. The chair creaked and cracked, and just as I was about to rise back up to my feet, the chair's back leg gave out, sending me tumbling backward to the floor.

“Son of a—”

Ravyn snickered. “That’s a good look on you.”

“Shut up,” I snapped back, clamoring back to sitting.

We didn’t see our waitress again after the stunt I pulled. Another girl came by to collect the fees, totaling thirty Bells for my Party. The most expensive drinks I’d had yet were, of course, the worst drinks I’d ever ordered. To my surprise, Lara was able to separate the water from the remainder of the beverages for Cannoli. Unfortunately, it left Cannoli with about a few spoonfuls of water in her cup. Lara and I offered our drinks to her, but she was adamant about drinking what little she had acquired.

After a short discussion, we agreed that seeing the rest of the city and getting a look at the Guild Hall was at the top of our list. As much as I wanted to go around and ask every nearby catgirl what was going on and what the best way to infiltrate ‘King’ Magni’s estate was, I wasn’t exactly ready to have an even larger target painted on my back by the Ejderha.

Catgirls who looked like they hadn’t eaten in days mumbled to themselves as we passed by the iron cages. I found it strange that not a single one of them pleaded for food or freedom. In fact, whenever we got close, they pulled their legs closer and looked away from us. It took everything in my power not to break open the cages that hung from the many hooks stationed around Rājadhānī.

“How long you think it’ll take for Mr. King to respond?” Agni asked as we walked.

If he responds,” Ravyn growled.

“Ravyn’s right. We need to assume he won’t and come up with an alternative plan,” Tristan said.

“Any suggestions?” I asked.

“Well, first things first, let’s take a walk around the whole Third Shell and get an idea of what we’re dealing with.”

“No offense intended, Tristan, but that would be quite a bit of walking. Especially after a full day’s travels to arrive,” Ceres pointed out.

Tristan nodded. “I agree. Why don’t we turn in for the night, then? If Magni doesn’t get word to us by morning, we’ll start our investigation. Deal?”

“Sounds good to me,” I agreed. The others nodded or grunted their assent. 

“I know a good place near here. Well, roach free at least.” Agni chuckled. “It’s about the best we’re gonna get.”

“Lead on, then.” 

With all the turmoil inside the Third Shell, a couple roaches in my hotel room sounded like the least of my worries.

bAhMkoe.png

Thanks for reading!

Be sure to check out my Patreon for early access chapters, NSFW chapters, full-size artwork, and more.

Many thanks to my Patrons: 

S-Tier:  SkySom, Alexandra

Saphira’s Tier: Cat LaCroix, PhantomKnight, cosl, DuSkulblaka, Elissia

Spoiler

R. A. Hollatz, Sir Galahad II, Apeoflight, Powerhalf, Eric Herb, Infinitron, Mitchell Aberson, Parker Lee, Vir Honestus, Michael Coulter, Matt[hew] D Christensen, Andrew Fox, Aaron Arostigue, Spoingus, Travis, Zane Flannery, João Vene, JC Quinn, Deathlokke, HariboHeadHunter, cakemanlink, King Jerkera, waymogunz, Phil, Aaron Burgess, Kevin Sutherburg, Stoken8r, Elzipper 7, Allen Mainville, Centhi, nick0, John Mullaney, Sir Joe, Will, Khii, Matt[hew] Johnson, Pastafarian, Jason Walker, Bread King, Belkorin, Larry Angus, VW, traducer, modestryan, Steve Tatum, Rodney the Paladin, Devin May, ribs, Ice.Paragon, Rassarion, Aleseus, Philipp Klingenberg, Darkflint, Sean Roberts, shadowarmy1, TB4U, Smithman774,  Kyle McCoy, Alexander Riehl, George Clarke, Martin Hensel, Cameron Garfalk, Cat Daddy, blackmambauk, Addeand, Flaming Moose, Rocking-Redman, DragonPriem, NekoPix, Michael Nowotny, Faolen, Terry Gorman, Zerum Sparklez, Steven A, eroth, Nicholas Crowley, Joshua williams, James, LT_Ashpole, Geoffrey Harbord, Nova, Runecaster, Alex bagster-collins, JackTheDave, Jacob, Butterfingers is good, MattTheRogue

[collapse]

Please remember to follow, favorite, and rate

Patreon | Discord | Twitter

2