Chapter 153: Run Around
101 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Still shaken by the waitress’ reaction, I’d nearly forgotten that Kathy had joined our table in the Good Grace. Zahra had paid the guard’s tab without flinching, and by the way that Kathy teetered from one foot to the other, I could only assume it was a pretty substantial check.

As Agni led us to the inn, I slowed my pace to match Kathy’s tentative steps, carefully steadying her shoulder with one hand. To my relief, she simply glanced at it and snickered. Better than the terrified gaze in the bar.

“Tryna get sweet with me?” Kathy slurred.

“Nah. Trying to make sure you don’t fall on your ass,” I replied with a grin.

She chuckled, her ears flicking forward. Even the wags of her tail were sluggish.

“So, where do you think Seraphina ran off to?” I’d wanted to ask since we crossed the gate but was caught up in everything else going on.

“Psh. Seraphina’s long gone if she knows what’s best for her.” Kathy paused, glanced at the sky, and rolled her tongue over her teeth. “Knows what’s ‘right’ for her? ‘Good’ for her?” She sampled two other words for her description, then pushed them away with a dismissive hand. “Eh. She’s fucking gone.

I blinked. “By herself? It’s hell out there, even for a full Party.”

“And it’s death in here! Shitty options, yeah? Get speared by a demon woman, or die in the desert. Hail to the King!” She pumped one fist into the air, nearly setting off both of our balance. I caught her before she tumbled forward and helped her right herself.

“There has to be a way to fix this,” I muttered.

Kathy cackled. “With the Shells? The Ejderha? Good fucking luck. Rājadhānī’s been like this for years. You’re not gonna change it in a day.”

“Even if we have the Third Shell’s support?” I wondered.

“Have you even looked at this place? What do you think we have to support you with?”

I followed her sweeping gesture to the structures before us. The sun was quickly fading, but there was still enough light to really take it all in.

First off, I hadn’t realized how narrow of a space it was between the outer and inner walls. When we’d first entered the city, there hadn’t been any structures besides the pair of gates leading inside, then into the Second Shell. As we moved deeper inside the Third Shell, it felt claustrophobic. 

Crumbled and dilapidated buildings were shoved together as if the architect was hoping there was enough space left in between to fit just one more. A few had roofs, others partial cover, and most used cloth awnings to protect from the elements. Wherever there wasn’t a building, the space was occupied instead by box-shaped tents. Thin fabric with rips and tears clung to the ground with thin strings of twine or rope that did little to hold against the wind. Through the unintended holes in every dwelling were catgirls of all ages, huddling against the chill evening air or scraping the last few drops of food from pocked wooden bowls. From what I could see, most of them were lit by low-burning candles and meager oil lamps—precious few had full-size lanterns.

And then there were the cages. The cages continued from the Third Shell entrance and vanished into the darkness. They were far more prolific here than the ones in Kandota or Madhyam, spaced out every two or three homes, and every one of them had a girl inside. However, instead of the tall poles we’d seen in the previous cities, these enclosures were attached directly to the wall.

Kathy followed my gaze and pointed. “Uh-huh. The worst offenders are higher up.”

Each stone panel ended in a towering arch that, from a distance, I’d initially assumed was built to make it difficult to sneak inside the city. Seeing them closer up told a different story. The arches were hollowed out, and a cage hung from its center, like the clapper in a bell. The last glimmers of sunlight shined from their bars, and I could barely make out a dark, cowering form at the back.

“The sun always shines on those lucky girls,” Kathy said as I gaped. “That’s where you go when you push Sanrai or Magni too far.”

“This has to stop.” The words fell from my mouth before I could catch them. “No one deserves that kind of treatment.”

“And yet, here we are! Take a deep breath, sir! You’re in the shit Shell!”

Whether it was because she said something, I don’t know, but the putrid smell from every direction slammed into my face. I coughed, and the odor flavored my gasps. I thought the depths of Catania’s underground cave were bad, but at least they’d had access to ponds and springs. Think about it, Matt. Even the tavern couldn’t give you water. 

“Now you get it? What’re we gonna support you with? Tent poles?” Kathy laughed again. “Even those’re two flicks of a tail from snapping.”

“Here we are!” Agni announced, stopping in front of a slightly better-maintained stone structure. The windows were openings supported by wooden beams and missing glass panes, but it had a solid-looking roof and a door with a lock.

I turned to Kathy. The intoxicated film over her eyes had started to clear, but I felt bad just leaving her there. “Do you want me to walk you home?”

She shrugged. “No, I’ll be fine. Makes no difference to me if I sleep in the dirt or on the floor.”

“I can go with you if you’d be more comfortable.” Zahra stepped away from the group and joined us.

Kathy’s eyes narrowed. “With Sanrai’s sister? I’d sooner trust a man.”

Damn, way to bite the hand that saved your life and bought your drinks.

To Zahra’s credit, she nodded without a single change in her facial expression. “Then I wish you a good night.”

“Sure.” She patted me on the back with one last grin. “Take care of yourselves.”

Her easy smile pulled an image of Marianne from the depths of my memories. I shook my head, clearing it before I could dwell too long on the past, and gave Kathy a quick salute. “Get home safe.”

“C’mon, Matt, Zahra. Get in before they lock ya out!” Agni called from the doorway.

I turned to find that the others had already made their way into the inn. Zahra and I nodded and moved inside.

The innkeeper, a catgirl with black and orange striped hair slammed the door behind us, locking it with a key that hung from her neck by a leather cord. She stood and surveyed us with glowing green eyes, and our expressions must have all been pretty similar because she said, “Girls burst in here and steal my shit if I leave it open too long.”

“That’s horrible!” Cannoli squeaked.

“Sounds like San,” Ravyn grumbled.

Keke approached one of the windows. “Couldn’t a kitten climb through here?”

“Don’t touch that, Keke! Lightning’s sitting right there!” Lara exclaimed passionately.

“Er. No, a kitten wouldn’t go through. The windows are enchanted. Just enough to teach them to keep their damn paws off.” The girl retrieved a small leather book and pen from her worn [Cat Pack]. She thumbed through the pages until she found a blank one. “How many nights?”

“We’re still trying to figure that out,” Tristan said.

“If I may, how much is it per night, please?” Ceres asked, resting her hands in her lap.

“Thirty Bells per room per night. Three people maximum to a room.” She glared at Ball Gag preening on Ravyn’s shoulder. “No pets.”

I caught Cannoli stuffing Buttons into her top out of the corner of my eye.

Nani? He’s not a pet. He’s my familiar,” Ravyn spat.

“Then unsummon him,” she replied flatly.

“That’s more Bells than Abalone,” Keke murmured beneath her breath.

Destiny stepped forward. “Pardon me for asking, but what’s the great expense for?”

“They’re the only inn in the Third Shell with beds instead of just blankets,” Agni replied.

The innkeeper’s sardonic smile returned. “And clean water.”

There it is.

“That’s a hundred twenty Bells a night, correct?” Zahra drew a large pouch from her pack. “Here’s enough for two nights.”

“Zahra, please. We can split it—” Tristan began.

Zahra cut him off with a wave of her hand. “Consider it an apology for my lack of transparency.”

Tristan’s jaw worked in thought, then he nodded. “Alright. Thank you, Zahra.”

“You’re welcome.” She handed the bag of Bells to the innkeeper, who scribbled in her small notebook.

“Why don’t we give Agni the fourth room? By herself? She deserves it after our ride, I think,” Cannoli suggested.

“Yeah, that’s a great idea. I’m sure she’s tired of our faces by now.” I chuckled.

“I’ll stay somewhere else,” Ravyn snapped.

“What? There’s no reason,” I replied, surprised.

“No. It’s fine. Better some patch of fucking dirt than this dump.” She stroked Ball’s beak.

Oh. I cleared my throat. “Hey, can I pay extra for her familiar? He won’t touch anything, but I’ll pay double if he does.”

Green eyes leered at Ravyn, then Ball, then back to me. “Fifty Bells a night.”

Jesus Christ. I fished them from my pack before anyone else could. “Done. Here.”

“Very good, sir.” She smirked, then jerked over her shoulder with her pen. “Rooms are upstairs.”

As everyone climbed single-file up the stairs, Ravyn caught my sleeve and tugged. When I looked at her, her violet eyes were wide, and her cheeks pink.

“Matt… Thank you.” 

It was one of the most sincere sentences I’d ever heard out of her mouth. “You’re welcome.”

She hurried up the stairs before me without another word. I climbed shortly behind her, a new spring in my step.

Now just to figure out how to help the rest of the girls in Rājadhānī.

wUceGxd.png

Thanks for reading!

Be sure to check out my Patreon for early access chapters, NSFW chapters, full-size artwork, and more.

Many thanks to my Patrons: 

S-Tier:  SkySom, Alexandra

Saphira’s Tier: Cat LaCroix, PhantomKnight, cosl, DuSkulblaka, Elissia

Spoiler

R. A. Hollatz, Sir Galahad II, Apeoflight, Powerhalf, Eric Herb, Infinitron, Mitchell Aberson, Parker Lee, Vir Honestus, Michael Coulter, Matt[hew] D Christensen, Andrew Fox, Aaron Arostigue, Spoingus, Travis, Zane Flannery, João Vene, JC Quinn, Deathlokke, HariboHeadHunter, cakemanlink, King Jerkera, waymogunz, Phil, Aaron Burgess, Kevin Sutherburg, Stoken8r, Elzipper 7, Allen Mainville, Centhi, nick0, John Mullaney, Sir Joe, Will, Khii, Matt[hew] Johnson, Pastafarian, Jason Walker, Bread King, Belkorin, Larry Angus, VW, traducer, modestryan, Steve Tatum, Rodney the Paladin, Devin May, ribs, ICE.Paragon, Rassarion, Aleseus, Philipp Klingenberg, Darkflint, Sean Roberts, shadowarmy1, TB4U, Smithman774,  Kyle McCoy, Alexander Riehl, George Clarke, Martin Hensel, Cameron Garfalk, Cat Daddy, blackmambauk, Addeand, Flaming Moose, Rocking-Redman, DragonPriem, NekoPix, Michael Nowotny, Faolen, Terry Gorman, Zerum Sparklez, Steven A, eroth, Nicholas Crowley, Joshua williams, James, LT_Ashpole, Geoffrey Harbord, Nova, Runecaster, Alex bagster-collins, JackTheDave, Jacob, Butterfingers is good, MattTheRogue

[collapse]

Please remember to follow, favorite, and rate

Patreon | Discord | Twitter

3