Chapter 244: The Last Evening
36 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

By the time the caravan arrived in Irisil, the sun had fallen, and much of the company had grown tired of sitting in carriages—Keke included. She fought hard to hide how she felt—something she was good at—but Matt read her sour expression like a book.

“Yeah, I feel that,” Matt said, yawning. “I can’t wait to get out and stretch my legs. Feels like we’ve been traveling for weeks.”

“I’m sore, too,” Cannoli admitted. She’d taken to Matt’s left while Cailu and Keke sat across from him.

The wagon came to a stop, and a gentle knock confirmed it was time to exit. The door opened, and the lithe coach beckoned them outside. “Welcome to Irisil,” she said.

Keke carefully stepped outside, marveling at the city before her. Unlike the Port of Elliot, this place was surrounded by walls of black stone. At the city's center was a prominent spire taller than any building she had seen before. A smoky orange glow emanated from a cavity beneath the spire’s point. 

“Oh goodness,” Cannoli said, clapping her hands beside Keke. “What a beautiful city.”

Matt took Keke's opposite, crossing his arms. “Spooky. Kinda reminds me of Halloween.”

Keke turned her head toward him. “What’s Halloween?”

“A holiday where I’m from. People dress up as zombies, monsters, demons, that sorta thing. If you’re a kid, you go to other houses and ask for candy.”

“You get candy for dressing up as a demon?” Cannoli asked as her face paled. She looked ashamed to be breathing the same air as Matt.

“I-it’s better than it sounds, I swear.”

Keke frowned as she tried to imagine kittens dressed like Defiled going from door to door, asking for sugary treats. “That sounds kind of dangerous. How do they know you’re not the real thing?”

Matt blinked, then laughed. “Monsters like the Defiled didn’t exist for me before. They’re just stories, myths. Well, until now, I mean.” He returned the frown. “What? I’m serious!”

Half the time, she believed him. But sometimes, his customs sounded far too strange to be true. The very idea that he’d lived in a place with as many men as there were women was difficult to comprehend. What would a society like that even look like?

“Well, I hope Irisil isn’t as scary on the inside as Halloween,” Keke said.

“Irisil was once a bastion,” Cailu explained as he joined them next. His armor clinked and shuffled, and he appeared more stiff than usual. Keke supposed he had his limits to how long he could sit, as well. “The city was constructed from black stone so as to conceal its prodigious size.”

“Yep! See those orange lights?” the coach asked, pointing at the tower. “They were meant to guide the lost back to the city. Lots of people thought the lights doubled as a sort of repellent for Encroachers, so they still use them to this day.”

“Does it actually work?” Matt asked.

The coach shrugged. “No idea.” She shut the door and climbed back into her seat. “If you got nothing else, I’m going to take this beauty back to the Port of Elliot.”

“One moment,” Cailu said, approaching her with a hefty bag of Bells. The coach’s eyes widened as he poured a heaping sum of coins into her palm. She squealed with delight, then whispered something into his ear. He shook his head, then waved his hand as if he were trying to hurry her along. She raised a brow, shrugged, and her wagon began to trot away.

Cailu returned, and the remainder of his Party soon arrived from the other wagon. Ceres hung back for a time, speaking with the coach named Lucia. The two bowed to one another, and Ceres smiled wide while Lucia urged her horses away from Irisil.

“Say your goodbyes?” Keke asked with a knowing smile when Ceres came.

“Yes!” Ceres said. “Lucia lives at the Port of Elliot, so we agreed to pen one another from time to time.”

“That’s great, Ceres,” Matt said, smiling.

Kirti stood beside Cailu while Zahra took to his other side. “You waited. How kind,” Kirti said.

Cailu frowned. “Come. The [Bishop] will be waiting.”

Keke drew a sharp breath as she, Matt, Ceres, and Cannoli followed Cailu and his Party into the city. If not for [Low-Light Vision], Keke was sure she’d been unable to tell the difference between the wall and the sky during the late hours of the evening. Even with the light of the setting sun, it was difficult to see the walls and fences unless she was up close.

There was a quick discussion with the guards before Keke and the Parties were allowed through. Though, with two men in their group, there were few places they couldn’t go, especially with Cailu in tow. She just wished he wouldn’t phrase everything like a demand. The man had a way of talking at people, not with them. When he wasn’t hissing demands, he wore a smile that could charm any woman. It felt manipulative and demeaning, and it was clear that he valued himself quite highly.

Cailu was right about one thing, though. The city was compact—awfully so. The streets barely had enough room for three people to walk beside one another comfortably. Homes were separated by even tighter spaces, the alleyways barely allowing for one person to pass through at a time. Maybe two if you kept your back to the wall.

“A-are you sure we’re in the right place?” Cannoli asked as she huddled closer to Keke. Keke wrapped an arm around her, keeping an alert eye on anything suspicious. “I feel weird.”

“So do I,” Keke admitted.

Many of the catgirls that passed by wore thick robes of black and gray with hoods over their heads. They hissed words under their breath as they passed by, and Keke felt a chill sweep over her skin.

Keke heard Matt mutter something like, “Halloween meets new pork,” but figured it was something else he’d remembered.

“How fascinating,” Ceres said, craning her head. “Tell me, Sir Cailu. For what reason do they dress in such dark clothing?”

“They hide,” Kirti answered, “from the Defiled. As if such dark clothing could protect oneself from them.”

Cannoli glanced at her.

“I feel a bit naked,” Zahra admitted, rubbing her bare bicep.

“Pay it no mind,” Cailu said, stopping before a larger building. Above the door was a plaque that read, ‘Clumsy Orchid Inn.’ “The [Bishop] should be waiting inside.” He pushed the door open, and a bell alerted the barkeep to their arrival. 

“Welcome in!” To Keke’s relief, the voice sounded chipper.

The interior was the same as any other inn. Round wooden tables, a bar at the counter, and entertainment to a stage on their left. Some of the catgirls turned to see who’d entered, but they quickly returned to their drinks and company. They dressed just as the ones outside did, but they’d undone their cloaks and lowered their hoods.

Now they felt like people and not shadows.

“What whiplash,” Matt said. “I was expecting all the tables to be black. Maybe a creepy catgirl at the door asking us for a secret password.”

Cailu regarded him over his shoulder with a frown.

Keke giggled.

Cailu shook his head and gestured toward a pair of tables to the right of the door. “Seat yourselves while I ascertain the [Bishop]’s location.” He undid his cape and set it on the table before promptly leaving in search of the catgirl in question.

Cannoli took a seat to Matt’s right, so Keke took the spot next to her. Keke gripped Cannoli’s hand tightly, hoping to be the net of assurance her best friend no doubt needed.

“I’ll be okay,” Cannoli said as if she’d sensed Keke’s bittersweet feelings. She reciprocated the grip, smiling. “I’ll be a great [Priest]. One deserving of the name.”

“A devout follower, no doubt,” Kirti mused, observing her nails in the faint orange glow of the Enchanted stone above them.

Zahra averted her stare, barely shaking her head.

“Just back off, alright?” Matt said. “Things are hard enough without you trying to get a rise out of everyone.”

“It’s fine,” Cannoli said. She bowed her head for a moment, then when she raised it, she looked Kirti in the eye. “What you’ve done is wrong.” Cannoli’s voice trembled. “I don’t like you, and I have no intention of getting along with you. Spew your venom if you must.” Buttons suddenly appeared from between her collar, glancing between his master and Kirti. “But I will seek answers for the evils you’ve committed.”

The orange glow glittered in Kirti’s matching eyes, and a slow smile spread across her face.

Keke’s toes curled, and her mind desperately searched for something to say.

“You will learn much,” Ceres said, putting a hand to her chest. She’d taken the other seat next to Matt. “I hope you and I can recite the hymns when you return.”

“Yes!” Cannoli said, looking at Ceres. “I would love that!”

A woman came to their table, a small pad in her hand. She had bright pink hair that curled at the tips, stopping just above her shoulders. Sea-green eyes set in a face full of freckles bore into them with perky curiosity. “Heya! My name’s Lily. What can I get you all tonight?”

Keke couldn’t help but think that Lily’s orange and white checkered dress was extravagant amongst the crowd of darker-clothed figures. It cut just above the knee, and a white apron dressed the front.

“I could use a decent drink,” Matt admitted. “How about you girls?”

Keke nodded. “Something lighter, please.”

“Do you have any teas?” Cannoli asked.

“Sure do!” Lily said. “What are you in the mood for?”

“Something with a tiny kick to it.”

“Lily’s got you covered!” She scribbled on her notepad. “And, for you?” She pointed her pencil at Matt.

“Something in the middle for a kick. I don’t want to get sloshed or anything like that.” He rubbed the back of his neck. “Just enough to clear my head.”

“Ah-ha-ha, I gotcha. How’s a Gut Buster?”

“That sounds…like not what I want.”

“Nah, nah, nah, it’s not as bad as it sounds. Promise.”

He shrugged. “I’ll take your word for it, then. A Gut Buster it is.”

Zahra smacked her lips. “Water, please.”

“That’s all?”

“Yes,” Zahra said, blushing faintly.

Lily finished taking everyone else’s orders and then offered a quick salute before departing. She brushed by Cailu, who brought a catgirl to the table.

“This is Sahzi,” Cailu said, gesturing to the woman beside him.

The catgirl offered a curt bow of her head. Golden twine embroidered the edges of her white robes in intricate patterns, and she wore her long brown hair in two braids that rested over her shoulders. Emerald eyes regarded them with curiosity. “Greetings, children. Who amongst you is named Cannoli?” 

Keke swallowed. It was happening. It was really happening.

“That’s me,” Cannoli said, raising her hand.

Keke briefly closed her eyes, reflecting on the day she’d caught Mom and Aurora speaking. The depravity and desperation Aurora spoke with was terrifyingly reminiscent of how Cannoli had sounded the past couple of weeks. She curled the fingers of her free hand, then opened her eyes with a forced smile.

“Saoirse bless you for taking the burden of an [Acolyte] upon yourself.” Sahzi offered a warm smile and made a bridge with her intertwined fingers. “Cailu has expressed to me your desire to undergo formal education in the ways of Saoirse. Is this correct?”

Cannoli sheepishly nodded.

“Excuse me,” Matt said next, “but what does formal education look like?”

“Forgive me, but what is your name?” Sahzi asked.

“Matt. I’m from Ni Island.”

“Goodness, is this your first time in Nyarlothep?”

“It is, and I just want to make sure she’s taken care of.” His cheeks turned red. Keke sympathized. It probably wasn’t easy to talk about such a personal matter in front of everyone like this. “I just need some reassurance. She’s been in my Party since I first arrived.”

Sahzi’s eyes widened, and she gasped lightly. “Saoirse be praised. To be in a man’s Party since his birth is a true blessing indeed.”

Kirti cracked open a peanut and plucked the nut from inside. She tossed the morsel into her mouth, chewing loudly. Keke shot her a glare, suppressing the urge to shove the whole bowl of peanuts down her throat.

“Birth?” Matt asked.

“Yes,” Sahzi nodded. “Many of Saoirse’s faithful refer to the man’s arrival as his birth. It is more metaphorical, less of a literal term.” She smiled. “You have my promise that I and the others will do our utmost to see that Cannoli is cared for. Falselle is the safest place in Nyarlothep.”

Matt’s shoulders relaxed. “I’m glad… Thanks.”

“Of course. It’s an important time, and I’m sure all of you are going to miss her.”

Keep it together, Keke. No more tears. Stay strong.

“Yeah,” Matt muttered.

“Very much,” Keke said, rubbing the top of Cannoli’s hand.

Cannoli sniffed. “Thank you. W-when do we leave?”

“I must depart at sunrise tomorrow. Would you prefer to remain with your Party until then?” Sahzi asked.

“Yes.” Cannoli leaned against Keke, and Keke had to shut her eyes to avoid crying.

“I understand. Meet me outside at the south entrance. Cailu can show you the way.”

Cailu nodded. “If you require it, I shall accompany you to the gates.”

“No,” Cannoli said, “I remember. I’ll meet you tomorrow morning, Sahzi.”

Sahzi nodded. “I shall return to my room in the meantime. Saoirse be with you.”

“Saoirse be with you.”

The rest of the evening played out in lazy conversation. Despite Lily’s best attempts to lighten the mood, the air remained heavy until they retired to their rooms. Keke and Cannoli shared a room while Ceres and Matt took another.

Keke and Cannoli sat across from one another in their San Island dresses, clasping one another’s hands.

“Promise me you’re okay?” Keke asked, terrified that Cannoli was still burying how she truly felt.

“Promise!” Cannoli said. Buttons skittered to one shoulder, licking his eyeball. He bobbed his head in rhythm with Cannoli. “I’m going to become a great [Priest], you’ll see!”

“I’m sure, but I just want to be sure you’re okay before you go.”

Cannoli bowed her head. “I’m still struggling a bit, but…I have Buttons with me, I have Ravyn’s frying pan and bow, and a necklace from Ceres.” She smiled, then moved one hand to her throat and fingered the shimmering snowflake pendant.

“Hang on.” Keke reached into her [Cat Pack] and extracted her tackle box. She flipped it open, then carefully dug for a lure—a green and red striped hook in the shape of a worm. A pair of feathers—one pink, the other white—were fastened to the top. Keke’s mother, Elona, had crafted it, and it was Cannoli’s favorite, but Keke had hesitated to give it to her for fear of losing it. They both knew Cannoli’s [Fishing] was…well, wanting.

But that didn’t matter anymore.

Keke held the hook in front of Cannoli. “Here. Take it.”

Cannoli’s eyes widened. “Really? Are you sure?”

“Positive.”

Cannoli held both hands out and received the hook. She stared at it like it was made of gold and that the simplest movement could shatter it to pieces. Tears fell from her eyes, and she sniffed. “I-I’m so sorry I a-acted the way I did,” she stammered.

I can’t cry. I shouldn’t.

It was no good. Keke began to cry, too. “I-it’s okay,” she hiccupped. “I-I know you’re going through a…a lot.” She buried her face into her hand and allowed the hot tears to fall between the crevices of her fingers. It’d been a long time since she'd really cried. Too long.

Cannoli opened her [Cat Pack], tossed the lure inside, and pulled Keke into a tight hug. Keke made no attempt to escape, and the two stayed that way for what felt like hours. 

Until, at last, they fell asleep in one another’s arms.


When the sun was up, Keke was up with it. As much as she detested being awake so early, she would’ve cursed herself for missing Cannoli’s departure. As soon as they were finished eating, the two Parties accompanied Cannoli outside, Cannoli’s hand firmly gripped in Keke’s.

Just as Sahzi had promised, a beautiful carriage was waiting for her and Cannoli outside the walls of Irisil. A pair of stout white horses neighed and snorted as the coach—who was dressed similarly to Sahzi, just less decorated—sorted through her [Cat Pack] for last-minute preparations.

Cannoli let go of Keke’s hand and approached the carriage.

Sazhi turned and nodded. “Are you ready, my child?”

“Y-yes,” Cannoli said.

Ceres approached first, enveloping her in a warm embrace. “May Saoirse protect you. Safe travels, Cannoli.”

Ceres stepped back, and Matt walked up to her next. “It’s not going to feel the same without you.” He grimaced, and Keke knew it was taking great effort on his part not to cry. “I…I really hope this gives you peace, Cannoli. You’ll have to tell me all about it when you return.” Cannoli ran into his arms, and the two shared a tight embrace. “I’ll miss you.”

“I’ll miss you too, Matt,” Cannoli said in choked sobs.

Matt kissed the top of her head. 

The two parted, and Zahra stepped forward. “I know we didn’t fight together for long, but I consider you a friend and an ally. I hope you find the answers you’re looking for. May the wind carry your desires and the sun warm your back.”

“Thank you, Zahra.”

At last, it was Keke's turn. She walked up to Cannoli, even though her fingers and toes were numb. She hadn’t felt this scared in years. Somewhere down the line, she’d taken it upon herself to keep Cannoli safe. Whether it was because of Aurora’s actions, their mothers’ nomadic way of life, or the horrors they’d suffered beneath the Defiled, Keke was unsure.

All she knew was she was about to say goodbye to her sister.

“I…I’m sorry, I don’t know what to say,” Keke admitted. She thought she’d have some wise words or at least something consoling ready. Yet, she felt as if someone had taken a chunk out of her heart, squeezed the air out of her lungs, and ripped out her tongue. It was difficult just to keep an even breath.

“You’ll always be my sister,” Cannoli said. She calmly walked up to Keke and wrapped her arms around her. Keke reciprocated, holding her in a tight embrace.

When the two parted, Keke’s face was soaked with tears. “No matter what anyone says… no matter what anyone does… don’t let them change who you are, Cannoli. Stay true to yourself. No matter what.”

Cannoli smiled wide, and she sniffed as fresh tears raced down her cheeks. She nodded. “I-I will. P-promise.”

Cailu and Kirti offered their own curt farewells, and Cannoli stepped into the carriage. Sahzi followed shortly after, then shut the door. The horse began to trot away, and Keke watched as Cannoli waved from the back window.

Keke waved back to her best friend.

Her sister.

Be safe… Cannoli.

i9i780j.png

Everyone's a Catgirl! Volume One is out now on Kindle Unlimited, Paperback, and Audible! Volume Two is available on eBook and Paperback. Volume Three is out now on eBook! 

Thanks for reading!

Be sure to check out my Patreon for early access chapters, NSFW chapters, full-size artwork, and more.

Many thanks to my Patrons!

Yomi’s Tier: DiscountDan, SkySom

S-Tier: Queen Toast, Carmine, Ed, Flaming Moose, Alex bagster-collins, William Martin

Saphira’s Tier: Cat LaCroix, PhantomKnight, DuSkulblaka, nick0, Runecaster, Lazarus G, LT_Ashpole

Spoiler

R. A. Hollatz, Sir Galahad II, Powerhalf, Mitchell Aberson, Parker Lee, Matt[hew] D Christensen, SirJoe, Elissia, Aaron Arostigue, Travis, JC Quinn, HariboHeadHunter, cakemanlink, King Jerkera, waymogunz, Phil, Allen Mainville, Centhi, Khii, Matt[hew] Johnson, Pastafarian, Jason Walker, Bread King, Belkorin, Steve Tatum, Rodney the Paladin, ribs, ICE.Paragon, Rassarion, Philipp Klingenberg, Darkflint, Smithman774,  Kyle McCoy, Martin Hensel, Cameron Garfalk, blackmambauk, DragonPriem, NekoPix, Michael Nowotny, Zerum Sparklez, Joshua williams, Michelle Hundt, Dave, Emily, Skade, Rosalee, SharktoothJack, Babodi Balázs, SyloSpectre, quin, Tonk, blackwolf393, Twelve, phillip ince, hanani, Zane Flannery, Blaze, Shags, Ranger Frank, Wulfen, Wesley Gathercole, Zak Stromquist, Spencer decoteau, Jacob Moore, Alex H Cowley, Zeklor

[collapse]

Please remember to follow, favorite, and rate!

Patreon | Store | Discord

2