Chapter 9: What Is This Feeling?
25 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Ever since Chiba-san and I went shopping, her approach towards me changed. She would always talk to me when she got the chance. When her shift ended earlier than mine, she would wait in the staffroom so we could walk home together. In general, she treats me nicely. But thank goodness that those two weren't around to witness that. Now, I'm actually glad that we didn't end up at the same shifts. Chiba-san is like my little sister, Yui, back in the village. She likes to keep clinging to me.

Thinking about it, it's nice that I get to talk to someone during work. There are rarely other waiters during my schedule. I hardly even see the cooks aside from when I go to the staff room. So, the only person I really get a chance to talk to is Chiba-san.

Oh, yeah, I almost forgot, tomorrow's Saturday, the planned date for the party. Honestly, I don't know what to expect, but for the least, I can ease a bit since Chiaki and Daichi are coming along with me. A party for all the first years, huh? Maybe I should drop by the venue after my shift later. So, we won't have trouble finding it tomorrow, which I'm pretty sure would happen. Although it's near our school, our navigation skills are the worst.

Work is finally over, and as usual, I'm exhausted, but I'll still drop by that venue. Now, time to get my stuff. As I walked into the staff room, Chiba-san was already there waiting for me. I'll have to decline walking with her back home for today. I wouldn't want to drag her around with my personal errands. Unsurprisingly, she insisted that she wanted to come along. I have no energy to argue with anyone today, so I basically just gave up and succumbed to her decision.

As I had planned, I--I mean, we went over to the venue. It was a bar a few blocks away from the university. Is it even allowed to open a bar near a university? I mean, we are in college, but some are still below 20.

We got closer to the said bar. It just looked like a regular restaurant from the outside. It was only a one-story building. Could this place even fit a hundred people? The bar was small compared to the restaurant I work at, Yamato Traditional Japanese Restaurant. I'm sure this is the right place, and there are no other restaurants or bars around. I felt disappointed. Well, not like I'm a place to complain, but I expected more. Well, my main reason was to see Rina, so I shouldn't let this bother me.

After checking the place out, we went back home.

"Why did you want to drop by that place, Inoue-san?"

"Oh, I was just checking the venue for our college party."

"I see..."

"Oi, you're planning something, aren't you?"

She avoids my gaze.

I gave out a sigh.

This is also one reason why I didn't want her to come along. No doubt that she'll be coming tomorrow.

When we were about to go our separate ways, Chiba-san turned around, smiled, and said, "See you, Inoue-san."

For a moment, I felt that my heart skipped a beat. Chiba-san's hair fluttered as she turned back at me with the sunset in the background. For the first time, I found her attractive. Is it because she reminded me of Rina? Now that I take a good look at her, she does resemble her a bit. Wait, no, my heart belongs to Rina.

When I got back to the apartment, Chiaki and Daichi were already there.

"You two are home early."

"We just got home a few minutes ago. In fact, we're not early. You're just late." Chiaki said.

"Well, I went to check out the venue for tomorrow's party. It was a small place. I don't think it can fit even a hundred people."

Suddenly, Daichi butted in.

"Leave that party aside for now. Kota, you're hiding something from us, aren't you?"

"Hiding...? I'm not hiding anything."

"We know all about you and that high school girl."

"What...?"

"Don't try and run away from this. The guys at work said you've been hanging a lot lately with that high schooler. Now, tell us what's going on between you two."

"It's a misunderstanding. There's nothing between Chiba-san and me. If there was, I would have told you both already. She also lives in this neighborhood, so we occasionally walk together. That's the end of the story, no more, no less."

I hid the fact that I felt attracted to her a while ago to avoid issues and because I'm too lazy to argue.

"Eh, and here I was, thinking you already got yourself a girlfriend."

"My heart is for Rina alone."

"It's funny how you can say that with a straight face."

"That's enough, you two. Dinner's ready." Chiaki said.

And with that, the day was finally over, and I was back in my room contemplating.

What just happened a while ago? Was it because I was too tired? Yeah, of course, I wouldn't feel attracted to a person I just met. Who am I kidding? That's the same exact thing that happened with Rina and me six years ago. But is this the feeling of attraction? I'm pretty sure this is not the feeling of love. It was because Chiba-san resembled Rina that I felt attracted to her at that moment...

I spent the entire time fooling myself that wasn't love, but at this point, I can't tell what's the feeling of love anymore. I'm just confusing myself. Did I even love Rina in the first place? Or was I just attracted to her physically? I spent all these years saying the emotion I felt towards her was love, but now, I'm starting to question what love even is. Is there even a point in worrying about these kinds of things? My overthinking is starting to seep in again.

 

[AT: Sorry for the delay on chapter 9. I had some things I needed to settle. Chapter 10 is still being worked on, but hope you enjoy this chapter. And feel free to join my discord https://discord.gg/7E75M6CfkJ .]

0