Funky Rock, or “How I Learned to Stop Caring and Love the New Me”
776 1 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Aaron awoke and immediately set forth his plan. He gave himself the ability to switch between male and female whenever he wished, and made it so that no one knew about his ability. He liked the fact that his changes to reality were taken as fact instantly, but he didn't want people to know that he could change his gender at will, that would put stress on his plans.

Next, he made a class schedule appear out of nowhere. Instead of being Aaron Wallace's schedule, it would be Erin Sanderson's. His final act was to make it so that his clothes changed genders with him, this would eliminate his need to produce new clothes for himself every time he changed. He gave his female form a pair of earrings, a necklace and a bracelet as well, and altered the face a little, that way his female form didn't just look like Aaron the girl. He was already pushing it with the name 'Erin', but he let that go because there were plenty of girls named Erin in the world, it was as common a female name as Aaron was a male name.

He "asked" his mother to call the school and claim Aaron was sick, thus freeing him to be Erin for the whole day. He was feeling pretty good about himself, too. He assumed it had something to do with his powers, but adjusting to Erin was quite easy. It took him little time to accept his new form, to the point where he was looking at himself in the mirror and failing to see any connection between Erin and Aaron.

She was ready.

***

Erin's first challenge happened about six seconds after she walked out the front door. Emily was standing there, waiting for Aaron to come out of the house. "Who are you?" Emily asked, anger creeping into her voice.

Erin had to think fast. I'm your friend, Erin. I'm staying with Aaron for a while because my parents are fighting. She wondered if Erin's parents suddenly materialized out of thin air thanks to her command, but didn't put much thought into it. She was instantly relieved when Emily suddenly said, "Hey, girl, where's Aaron?"

Erin smiled and answered, "He's sick. His mom's feeding him soup, and everything."

"Aw, poor guy," Emily giggled out. They started walking, striking up a friendly conversation about the commercials for the latest X-Men movie and whether or not Hugh Jackman still looked hot enough. Erin was surprised to find that she had quite a few feminine opinions in her, despite only having had a feminine brain for an hour and a half. It obviously comes with the hormones, she thought. Their conversation shifted from actors to the tramps who hung out at the cafeteria entrance. Again, Erin found herself being far more knowledgable than she should have been for someone who'd been male every day of her life until that day.

Once they arrived at school, Erin concentrated and made others remember her as well, and made it so that people didn't think anything was amiss when Aaron appeared at school but Erin did not, and vice versa. That took care of every loose end without her having to make people know that Aaron and Erin were one in the same person.

Erin's first class was gym. Erin's first gym class would be a new experience in many ways. It would be her first gym class without Emily there since they were in middle school, it would also be her first gym class where she was in the girls' locker room, changing with other girls. This would be any guy's dream, to see a room full of naked girls, but as Erin walked into the locker room and looked around at the other girls changing around her, she didn't feel any sort of attraction toward any of them. All she did was compare herself to them, looking for imperfections in herself that she didn't see in them (and knowing that she could cheat by eliminating any imperfections in herself).

It was about then that she started to worry.

She ducked into the restroom and quickly barricaded herself inside a toilet stall. What should be a defining moment of her life was feeling like just another trip to the girls' locker room, surrounded by other teenage girls just like herself. Was this a byproduct of her powers, or had she always simply felt this way? She didn't think so, so the only thing it could be was her powers.

She should have stopped this little game right then and there, and just used her powers to play with other people, but something in the back of her mind said, You don't really want to stop, Erin. It was a voice she felt she knew, but couldn't peg. Being a girl for a day isn't going to change you when you become a boy again, so just sit back and enjoy being what you are right now.

This can't really be a bad thing, Erin thought, not even realizing that her thoughts were being influenced by the voice in the back of her mind.

She unlocked the stall door, returned to the room full of lockers and changing girls, and went about her business, changing from her regular clothes to her gym clothes. Just another girl. Just like the rest of them. Her previous concerns almost completely erased, not unlike the former lives of people like Hannah, Nolan and Grant.

***

Erin's second class was geometry. Unlike Aaron and calculus, Erin enjoyed geometry, to the point where she rushed to finish her work before class ended. After that was chemistry, which she shared with Emily (just like Aaron did), and they partnered up for the day's assignment. Lunch came after that, where she sat with a group of her 'friends' (girls Erin had 'known' for years, that Aaron had never even spoken to or probably even met) and had quite the conversation involving fashion styles and the like.

After her last two classes, she met up with Emily to walk home, then caught sight of the cheerleaders getting ready to go practice. Any guy (like Aaron) would love to get an up close and personal look on the cheerleaders, but Erin was thinking quite differently. She didn't care about watching the cheerleaders, she wanted to be a cheerleader. After all, why would she care about checking out the cheerleaders? She didn't swing that way, even if she was really just the creation of a guy who wanted to spy on girls for a day.

I'm a member of the cheer squad, she thought, and I have to get to practice.

Almost instantly, Sally Sommers, the cheer captain, called out to her. "Erin! C'mon, you're missing practice!"

Erin gave Emily a quick hug. "Gotta go, Em. See ya tomorrow."

"Yep. I'm gonna swing by Aaron's and see if he's feeling any better."

"Okay, bye!" Erin said, not even realizing what her friend had said, or the implications thereof. She was just concerned with getting changed into her uniform and getting to practice. Hannah was the only other girl in the locker room as she entered and started undressing. Apparently, when she changed Nancy, a cheerleader, into Nolan and Hank into Hannah, Hannah took up Nancy's former position on the cheer squad. It made sense, even if it had been unintended.

Wearing the short skirt, the tight top, the boots and waving the pom-poms, Erin found that she quite enjoyed being just another cheerleader, all the while realizing that as Aaron, she'd have wanted to watch the cheerleaders.

***

After practice, Erin made her way home. She was about to change back when she heard talking coming from the kitchen and recognized bothvoices as her mother, one as Aaron's mother, and the other as Erin's. As she passed the kitchen and headed upstairs, she found an addition to the guest room door across the hall from Aaron's room. There was a piece of paper where a teenage girl with extremely feminine handwriting had put 'Erin's Temporary Room - No Boys Allowed!'.

She knocked on Aaron's door, fearing the worst. "Come in," said a raspy voice. She opened the door and saw exactly what she didn't want to see.

Aaron Wallace.

Lying on his bed.

Slurping up a bowl of tomato soup.

"Hey, Erin," he said, coughing a little. "Your mom's downstairs, y'know."

"Yeah," she said, her voice barely a whisper, "I know..."

10