Chapter Eighty One: Guardian’s Humility
10 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

yHbCY4O.png

All of those worlds I’d visited are long gone now. That’s the truth that seems so strange when I stop to think of it. I’d thought that no matter what I’d seen in them, the moment I’d left them, everything about them would be useless to me. Each had its differences but they were similar enough. So similar that no matter how many times I’d leaped through reality I’d never met any new faces that I wouldn’t have known in my own world.

And yet… Through all that I’d known, I’d never once seen that knight.”

Justice continues her explanation to me while we continue en route for Celestial Manor. I’d done well to keep myself from being entirely overrun with the constant stream of information that I’d never once entertained I’d have thrust upon me. And as if I hadn’t had enough mysteries on my mind, it had come to grips that the two of us now share in one together.

If she’d never once met Thirteen, then just what could that mean? Would it mean anything at all?”

There had been plenty of strange departures from the Celestia I’d come from. There were small changes in its culture and technology though seeming to be so similar. A new festival in one world, a different social etiquette in another. But this world feels like it’s been the greatest departure from everything I’ve known.”

If this world is the odd one out, then perhaps it shouldn’t be all that strange at least one new face would appear. Maybe he did exist in your world and it’s just that you’d never had a way to meet him until now.”

I give it my bets try to find any plausible answer to the question.

He did tell me that he’d moved from a town far from Empyrea. Perhaps with all of the changes in this world it was enough to have caused his transfer to work in Empyrea? Even if so, it’s not too far fetched that there could be those you’d never met in the city.”

What troubles me isn’t so much that there’s a new face. Per se. The real issue is that this man is someone you’ve personally met and even share a bond with. No matter how many worlds I’ve lived in, you were always surrounded by the same characters. Not once had you ever spoken to any man like him. Especially in such a casual fashion.”

Taking a pause in stride at the mid of the road, Justice’s eyes grow distant from the world we’re sharing in together. They’re so deeply troubled while she thinks to herself silently.

I’d only met him recently. There’s no telling if I’ll even get to see him again, really. Empyrea is a big city and there are plenty of knights switching posts constantly.” Drawing near to her, I give her a polite urging. “It’s been a long day for both of us and there’s no telling how much you’d had to contend with before we’d crossed path. I think it’d be best for us to leave this off for later and handle what we have as it comes.”

Maybe you’re right. But I just can’t shake this feeling. It felt like.. like he…”

What did you feel?”

She bites her lip gently while she lifts herself out of her running thoughts and back to the present.

I’ll have to think it over a bit more before I can say for certain. I’d rather not make a mistake in judgment.”

Good idea. There’s already enough on our plates so we should take it easy.”

We follow the path in silence for a time, but as we see the manor on the horizon, I come to realize with all of our wondering over Thirteen we’d overlooked an important discussion.

You’d talked plenty about your life visiting the manor, but we haven’t even really discussed what we’re going to tell all of the maidens.”

About what in particular?” She looks up to me, curiosity in her gaze.

Well… about you. I’d left off to Pride alone and now I’m returning with someone they’d never met before. I’ve had my fill of talking about other worlds for the time being. I’d rather not rattle the maidens up by continuing on those topics.”

Chances are it would result in even more confusion and trouble, that’s for sure. In my world those I’d spoken with the most about anything important for our responsibilities were yourself and Uria. It’d be best to leave it like that. But as for what you can tell them…” she slowly knits her answer together and gives me her emerald eyes again, “…just tell them that the kingdom has given you a body guard.”

That would tie everything together quite nicely. Though that would leave me with the necessity to keep my time in Pride mostly a secret given how we’d met.”

And you’re an extremely bad liar so you really shouldn’t even try fibbing to anyone.”

I had that problem in your world too?” I laugh to myself sheepishly and attempt to hide my embarrassment.

It wasn’t a problem. You’ve always been such an honest person. It’s just who you are. When it came down to it, you’d rely on omission and telling the truth within a frame. Usually it would work well enough to appease anyone so long as they didn’t press too much further.”

It’s frightening how well you know me. Even if I would like to think this whole thing has just been an amazing prank, that’s impossible given how you keep calling me out so bluntly like this.”

Of course I’d know you so well. You’re-” she pauses her thought and takes a moment to aim her phrasing, “-we’d worked together constantly and I’d visited the manor countless times. If I hadn’t picked up on your habits after all the time we’d spent together, I’d be a lost cause.”

I suppose I have plenty of catching up to do. Kind of. But we’ve been shirking on figuring out your sleeping arrangements. You wouldn’t have a home in this world and you’re already so used to visiting the manor so I’d think we should give one of its vacant rooms to you.”

That won’t do. I’m going to need to be with you in your room when you sleep.”

That’s a pretty big leap you’d taken just now. Care to explain your reasoning?”

I’m here to protect you. My being your body guard isn’t exactly a lie. I’m going to need to watch over you at all times so I’ll stay with you in your room when you sleep.”

I-I feel like Juna and the others would have an issue with that.”

Why would they?” Her confusion is palpable while she gives me a look with a canted brow.

You may look experienced, but you’re pretty innocent, aren’t you?”

It was never an issue in my world. It was a simple matter that really didn’t have any complexities to it.”

Well, that’s quite unexpected to hear. It may have been like that where you’d come from, but for this world, I’m going to have to disagree. If you won’t have it any other way, you can take my bed. I could sleep on the floor or find a similar arrangement.”

That won’t be necessary. If you’re uncomfortable with sharing a bed, then I’ll be the one to sleep on the floor. But I can’t let you sleep unguarded. Protecting you is my life’s purpose.”

That’s quite the resolve. From such a young age and you’re already so serious. It’s fascinating.”

We make our final approach to the manor and now stand before its doors. I ruffle my hair and sigh in resignation.

We can go over the finer details when it comes down to it. For now, I’ll say that you can at least stand watch over my room. But you need your sleep too, so you to at least sleep in one of your own. I’ll do what I can to speak with the others about it. For now,” I place my hand on the entrance’s handle, “stay here. I’ll come and get you when the time is right.”

Understood.” She nods her head firmly and then scoots off to the side where she begins her patient waiting.

I enter in and the first character I see stuns me to silence. On sight of a head of red hair, my heart begins to race. Sitting at the foot of the stairs upon its plush red carpeting is Juna.

Her clothes are unlike her usual wear. Not the usual shorts and a T-shirt nor her own personal uniform. Instead the jacket she wears is an olive green and it has a rugged fashion to it. It descends to the edge of her torso, stopping right before her abdominal. The off color white of the shirt she wears has a strange design on it with a circle bearing a pattern on its insides. Her long, black skirt falls low on her legs and has a lighter green motif running along its hem. All she has on her feet are casual, feminine slip on shoes.

Khiron…!”

UBbnuH3.jpg

She nearly leaps from her seat and jogs to meet me at the entryway. Drawing near, my stunned surprise grows when I take notice of her hair. Its length is much longer than I’d ever seen it before. Her left bang has become so pronounced that it now hangs over her eye, obscuring it from view.

Though I’m abjectly confused, I regather my bearings so not to waste a moment of this valuable time I have with her.

You’d been gone for so long, I was beginning to worry.”

Juna. You’re here.” I could have picked millions of better opening lines and yet that’s what comes out of my mouth.

I’d thought… it would be good to visit you when you’ve… come back from your work. Your first day.” The way she speaks is subdued, quiet and tentative.

You’d come to see me? I’m… well… that means the world to me. I-”

Would it kill you to learn how to use a communicator?”

I would know that frustrated voice anywhere. I glance over Juna’s shoulder and catch view of a rather displeased looking lunar haired woman clicking her heels on the way. As she sees Juna, she sighs to herself with a relieved smile.

It’s good to see you, Celine. What seems to be the issue?”

I’d had it in mind to give you a talking to, but I’ll let you off easy this time. Anyways, you’d had messages waiting for you on your KNITE and I’d expect that you hadn’t even seen them.”

It was quite a day with plenty in it so I’d been a bit caught up. I’d completely forgotten to give it a check.”

Like I’d said; I’ll let it pass for now. We’re all just happy you’re back in one piece. Though next time try to keep on top of it. Otherwise some of us might end up making more work for Urania bothering her for updates about your well being.”

It’s a learning experience. I’ll do my best not to forget it.”

Well, thank you. That’s that. Welcome back. I’ll see you some other time.”

As quickly as she’d arrived on the scene, she’s off to her own matters. Soon after she carries off, the rest of the maidens begin to meet me out in the foyer. That is, all but one who is likely sound asleep at this point.

About time. Here I was thinking you’d be running back like I would.” Mercy snickers and comes to me with her hands knitted behind her head. “Take it you’ve had your exercise so next should be some protein to keep you in fighting form.”

Good job not dying or whatever.” Marcia is right beside her and she gives her usual sarcasm. “It’s better to see you in one piece so keep it up.”

Marcia, that’s not very nice. You should speak more kindly to him. You’re happy he’s back and you shouldn’t keep that all bottled up inside. It’ll do no good for your body if you hold yourself back.” Venna strides in close behind her sister.

Welcome back, master. I’d hoped to have been here first of all the maidens, but I’d received word of your return and so had I’d taken it upon myself to prepare a meal for your arrival.” Jupa meets to my side and dips into her refined bow.

Lastly comes Plutia and Hyla who had both entered in from the direction of Hyla’s room.

It’s good to see you, handsome. I hope everything went well.”

You seem to be in good health, but you still have a check up coming before you sleep tonight. We have to make sure you’re in good shape, so don’t forget about that.”

Thank you all. It’s good to be back. Especially that I get to see Juna out and about with everyone.” I sigh in sweet relief. “Which this comes next.”

I pull out the bouquet that I’d kept hidden behind my back and give them to their rightful recipient. Her rosy red eyes light up brightly and her skin picks up several shades to nearly rival the color of her hair.

Th-These…”

Are for you.”

I-I… I don’t… I’m…”

Don’t think too much about it, just take them.” Celine calls out from the stairs, continuing down the hall without looking back.

Juna’s hands shake and move slowly, shyly. When she takes them, she brings them near to her and takes in their aroma.

It’s just… I… I’m…”

I drop the bag I’d been carrying in my other hand and go to her. I bring her close against me body and lean my head against her shoulder to relish in her presence. She, meanwhile, goes completely stiff as a board and meekly yelps.

I keep myself in check and relent though every bit of me wishes to keep her close to my heart. I lock eyes with her and see that she’s nearly as red as a boiled lobster. Even if this much had been so normal to us a time ago and even if that time feels so distant now, it’s all the same privilege and joy.

I’d missed you so much, Juna.”

A sounding of applause surrounds us, catching us off guard. The maidens clap their hands and wear full smiles on their faces.

Finally. It’s about time all that melodrama stopped. Yeesh.”

Marcia!”

Good to see things returning to their rightful way. You two have always made a cute pair.” Plutia teases us.

It takes a bit for Juna and I to cool off. The moment is an amazing catharsis that warms my heart but with the calm returned, I know that my chance has arrived.

I’d love to talk with all of you about our days, but it’s been a long one for me.” I begin. “I can explain it later, but I have someone that I’d like you all to meet. She’s going to be staying with us from now on.”

Juna’s eyes widen at my statement and all the rest pick up into an excited chatter. I backtrack to the entryway and open the door for Justice. She makes her way before the maidens and stands confidently, knightly before them.

This is Justice. I’d met her today during my work. She’s been provided to me as a body guard of sorts. She was a magnificent help in handling the Sin-, er… Dark Seed.”

Though the maidens prepare to say their hellos and welcome her in, her eyes are hard on only one among them. She steps forward and meets the woman who has her attention. Connecting strongly with her eye to eye, she soon falls into a deep, dignified bow.

It’s my greatest honor to have met you, Lady Juna. I’ve heard so much about you.”

Juna’s surprise grows in its exponent and brings her to a wide eyed stupor. Never in her life has she had a knight lower themselves into such a respectful grace towards her. And I’m not too far behind her with my own natural reaction.

† † †

Hello, hello! Back from the hiatus for the Holiday season! It was a good one and I hope yours was a fine time as well!

With this, the next story section of Forsaken kNight begins. Due to my ongoing work with its planning and writing, I will be changing the schedule to be a weekly release for the time being. Once more is completed, I may be able to return to a biweekly release. As it is now, it'll be a help to its publishing if the amount was lessened. 

I hope you can understand and thank you for your continued read. 

Until next time, take good care!

- Marebito

0