Red Eagles (2)
36 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Sarah contained in her place, lying between her sleeping bag, trying to sleep in what would be a kind of dwelling already depleted by the destruction, the squad remained by a fire, some awake keeping watch, others sleeping unconcerned.

In her eyes, only the stars kept her company, the noise that would be common in a city was not heard in the surroundings, only the pragmatic sound of silence.

- Can't sleep?

From around her gaze, her chief appeared, who would be keeping watch.

- No!

- Is it hard to get used to this silence?

- I wonder what happened?

- I can't even imagine what happened...

The two were silent again, looking at each other, perhaps trying to better understand their situations.

- Did you live here, cadent?

- Yes! A few years ago before I enlisted!

- Family?

- No! At sixteen I had only my aunt who after I left, moved away!

- I understand! With or without people here, this silence must bring back quite a few memories for you?

- I would be lying if I said no!

Just then, the deputy chief approached me and he didn't look very happy, with sleepy eyes and an increasingly despondent expression.

- It's time to change shifts! "He said, looking at Sarah who had forgotten"

- Yes, sir!

Sarah stood up equipping herself while the deputy chief and the chief exchanged a few words and a few glances, glances converted into signs that things were not going to be too good.

- Well?

- Silver and I came across several disfigured corpses!

- Disfigured?

- Yes, not only were they already decomposing... There were signs that they had been bitten and scaled by what I would say were claw marks!

- Was there a zoo nearby?

- No! But, the wildlife may have gained more awareness with the depolarization of the incident!

- Before you go to rest, warn the others to be even more attentive, I want to know everything that's going on!

- Yes, sir!

Sarah bade farewell to her superiors and headed for what was her lookout post, the top of a long staircase leading to the second floor of a house that seemed only minimally capable of keeping people out, heading for what would be a double-windowed room. Gun in hand, he looked intently at the street, finding, even if with some difficulty, some wrecked cars, the remains of stores and houses, something that frightened him.

Sometime later, struggling to stay awake, struggling to contain her more fragile emotions that surfaced, she kept her eyes open, trying always to figure out if there was anyone else.

- Cover one, what's your status? Over!

- On watch, over!

- Anything?

- Nothing!

- Did you get any sleep?

- Yes, sir!

- No need to lie, cadent!

- Sorry!

Her yawn didn't help her at all either, it was almost time for the sun to rise and illuminate the destruction, some sun rays could already be seen, to her eyes, a slight movement of humanity had surfaced, four of her companions were slowly advancing down the street already with more visibility than before, with their eyes set on the unknown.

Slowly and in a more structured way and familiar with military formation, they moved around trying to see if they would be safe, two on each side, weapons drawn and minds clear and focused.

- Team 1, status?

- All clear!

- All right, let's get ready to go!

Sarah, who would be the furthest away from the squad, calmer, knowing that her watch was finally over, was preparing to leave her post, when still on her back she felt a slight presence as if someone was behind her.

Slowly, but tremblingly, she prepared to remove a knife from her waist, until a shrill sound hallucinated everyone else present.

- What was that?

- Look out! We have company!

And after his words, everyone who was ready to leave moved to more prosperous areas to get a better view, and silence returned.

- Team 1? Anything?

- No, sir!

- Team 2?

- Not a thing!

- Team 3?

- Nothing!

- Cover 1? Can you see anything?

The eyes of those present focused on the intercom, stares that grew more and more serious.

- Cover 1?

The piercing silence grew, until before the chief could repeat herself a weak, suffering voice came on.

- Hel...p!

The chief put the intercom away, starting to give orders to her men to get ready, slowly and always very attentive they advanced through the structure, the sub-chief and the one who should be Silver, advanced down the corridor, others through other divisions.

- Clear!

- Clear!

Everything seemed to be fine, inside what was the living room, they found seven soldiers, and before the chief could take her first step, the floor upstairs, sounded slow, the sound of heavy footsteps could be felt, clearly not Sarah's.

The chief had gesturally told them to keep their eyes on the stairs which were completely blacked out with darkness, while others still in the center of the room just stared at the ceiling.

- What do we do?

- We don't know how many there will be! We are in an unfavorable position!

Before they could react, the floor of the house had finally broken and in the eyes of all present a rather large creature, looking almost like a real ball with arms and legs, had fallen through the ceiling, that shrill sound had sounded again, leaving the soldiers confused and in pain.

- SHOOT!!!!

In fear and in pain, bullets rang out, the creature was losing its strength, its green blood was flowing profusely, the panic was growing on the faces of everyone present.

- What the fuck is this?

- FUCK...

One of the soldiers approached curious about what he saw, and as he touched what appeared to be the creature's face, it bit him, ripping his hand away.

- AHHHHH!!!!

- KILL IT!!!

Another avalanche of gunfire had occurred, this time there was no chance of survival.

- Roger? Get some towels, quick! "Shouted the military woman in charge of medicine"

The chief who had regained consciousness just stared at the second floor, while the group around her tried to help Roger.

- Silver, follow me!

- Yes, sir!

The two of them advanced without trembling, slowly up the stairs, always keeping an eye on the darkness, but they didn't have to go that far, when they saw a body leaning against the wall.

- Sarah?

The chief had run towards them trying to help her, luckily the creature hadn't eaten her, although it had hurt her quite a bit.

- Chief...

- Shh! You'll be fine, I promise!

- What should we do, chief?

- For now, we'll regroup!

- Yes, sir!

2