374: The Start (5)
1.8k 6 58
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 374: The Start (5)

Looking out the plane window, one could see a vast expanse of fluffy, white clouds illuminated by the setting sun. The clouds that were in different shapes and sizes, constantly shifting and changing, were being blown around by the wind. Patches of blue sky provided a contrast to the white clouds, while rays of light shining through created a mesmerizing effect.

It was an awe-inspiring experience that offered a glimpse into the beauty and majesty of nature.

Not that Neji was affected by such a measly show. This was nothing compared to what he had seen in the rest of his life.

Lucille, however, did enjoy the scenery along with the quietness of the private plane. The air hostesses, who were hotter than usual, served them food, coffee, and snacks. The two of them sat in seats that faced each other, eating in mostly silence – unless Lucille brought up a topic. Though Neji’s unwillingness to talk much ended all the topics quite fast.

“…”

Lucille turned her face from the window, where the sun had set behind the clouds and the dark blanket of the night had swept in. A cold blue glow cast on the inside of the plane, because lights were turned off due to Neji’s request, as Lucille’s blue eyes matched the same intensity.

“You have changed, Neji.”

“I was out for sixteen months, it’s natural.”

To her surprise, he replied right away. He had his chair leaned backward as he lay on it, staring at the ceiling with his hands interlocked over his belly.

“Is it, though?” Lucille sounded skeptical. “You are like… a different person. You always tried to keep up a conversation with me before, flirting and hitting on me, complimenting me beyond belief. But now you’re so quiet. It’s like you’ve aged a few decades.”

For the first time, Neji’s eyes focused on hers. They interlocked their gazes for a short while before he smiled and looked back at the ceiling.

She was an uninteresting, boring, hard to like, and a crybaby person. He had to work around all that to keep her entertained so that she would be his. Now there was no point, and beyond that, he had other things to worry about. For example, even if he reached Iraq and entered the portal, would he return to the Cube? It didn’t make sense why Celestine would keep such an opportunity open to him. She was playful, true, but not as playful and dumb as her daughter – she wouldn’t keep such a path for him.

Unless, of course, the Gate was created by someone else. Perhaps the Cube Omniverse’s Will had opened a door to itself. Perhaps it was Lady Luck. It could be anything.

Further beyond that, how would escape work? It had already been two days since he had been here, would Celestine still be in Uruk? A time difference was the only thing he could rely on, but again, why would Celestine allow that?

Lastly, assuming he could indeed return, what then? What can he do against that woman? He already lost. After giving his best, after using everything. He had no cards left, no Trump card, no Joker card, no hidden card… Neji’s hands were clean; he was already defeated.

With all that worry in his head, did he have time to entertain this spoiled little girl?

“I… missed you, you know.”

When Neji didn’t answer for a long time, Lucille started.

“Every day for the last one and half a year, I dreamed of you waking up. I fantasized about it. Then finally, here you are, awake and ready. But now you don’t feel like the Neji I know. You are acting weird, making unexplainable decisions, and being an overall… stranger.”

Neji planned to stay silent in reply, this time too, but he changed his mind at the last second. He straightened his seat and sat up properly, looking into her eyes.

“You are beautiful,” he said, sighing. “But you’re a stuck-up bitch with the maturity of a toddler. Well, before I went into a coma anyway. You may have changed now, who knows? In any case, I don’t like you as much as you think I do. You’re just, uh, a bad investment.”

“…”

Watching her stay silent and calm, instead of looking shocked and shaken was a little surprising for Neji. However, he noted that was just a front given she didn’t speak after that so he went back to leaning against the chair and closing his eyes.

He wasn’t exactly lying just now, but he was exaggerating a little to make her hate him. Because… even if he didn’t like her, he knew she loved him greatly. And she better stop, in his opinion, so that she wouldn’t miss him too much after he would leave forever.

* * *

Iraq was a country ruined by wars and monsters. People still lived here, yes, but for the most part, the country looked like a piece right out of an apocalypse novel. The gray sky, rough wastelands, and overall lack of life were eerie and skin-crawling.

“We are here, Sir, Madam.”

The driver of this fancy car that Neji and Lucille were riding said in a calm voice. A hint of concern was present in his voice too, but it was well-hidden so only Neji caught it. He understood why the man was nervous though, given their current location.

The ground was covered, filled with generations of layers, and lastly the modern touch of time made this place unrecognizable. However, as [Gilgamesh], the Hero of this Land, Neji could instinctively recognize this. This was Uruk, or at least what was left of it after thousands of years since the Babylon era.

Currently, their car was before the gate of a large area with a white office-like structure. They called it a make-shift Hunter’s Association, made in two days, but in no way did it look make-shift. As one could expect from the archeological minds of the modern world.

There were also dozens of tents surrounding the area, making it look like a “makeshift” barely, but the point stood.

“Isn’t it lucky we managed to find our family driver here? Gosh, taxis are so scarce. Luckily father came to the Association already, so we could ask him to send a car. He said he wishes to see you soon!”

“I know; I was right there when you were talking to him on the phone.”

Neji pushed the door of the car open and walked out, while the girl blinked behind him.

“Huh? Hey, where are you going? Let the car be parked first. We will go meet Father after, and then we will go to the Gate.”

Neji ignored her yapping and looked around. Although the white building was pristine and all that, the surroundings were merely a desert, though not one of sand but of yellow rocks. The gate wasn’t here, apparently, it was in a cave nearby. The Association called on a lot of strong hunters to quickly raid the gate, that’s why Lucille’s father was here.

Unfortunately, Neji had no time to waste by doing this and that. He would just find the Gate and walk into it. Problem solved.

Jogan didn’t work. His other sensory abilities were also down. His dragon biology only helped with smelling things, and also feeling danger. Thankfully, the high-human part of his biology came in clutch this time, he sensed the condensing of extreme mana in the far, seemingly connected to something deep. Like the ocean, but deeper.

Obviously, that was it. That was his door home.

“Neji? Neji!”

“Goodbye.”

Neji called forth his Dragon Wings and kicked the ground. He shot through the air, his wings flapping to further boost his speed, as he flew like a rocket and burst into a mountain two kilometers in the north.

Into the mountain’s body, a deep cave was what greeted Neji, and within that cave, a dark purple gate of spinning mana caught his eyes.

Unfortunately, he wasn’t alone there. Obstacles finally appeared before him.

**

**

**

If you want to read the next 20 chapters right away, visit my Patreon.

Link: Patreon.com/Master4thWall

58