Trouble Down the Road – Part 05
64 1 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After dinner, Lucia and Sasha went to bed and I returned to looking through the library. I figured that there would be one book with spells capable of helping me stop this war from getting worse. Neither that Ethereal woman nor the Emporer was around as they too had gone to sleep. There were a few books that contained knowledge that I thought would come in handy later but I didn’t want to take the time to read them at the moment. Hours upon hours of skimming through old books and grimoires I found something that piqued my interest. A series of spells that could work in our favor.

Taking the book, I ran as fast as I could up through the levels of the Labyrinth. Reaching Emperor Nehkasha’s house I called for him from outside his curtain door. After a minute or two I heard him coming to the door with a grumble before opening up the curtain in his undergarments. He looked very tired and a bit annoyed that I had woken him up but he was willing to listen despite that.

“What is it? It’s way too early.” Nehkasha asked with a groggy tone.

“I think I found a way to rebuild the Empire. That… and build an army.” I said with an excited tone. My entire body was jittery because of a sleep deprivation high but I was fine.

“... What?” Nehkasha asked with a bewildered and still very tired look.

* * *

That same morning the Paslonian troops led by General Harnacei and Jean-Paul Martin marched to meet with Hutch troops so that they could march to the border of Alsenia together. However, Jean-Paul was starting to get on the General's nerves. He wouldn’t shut up for half of the trip. Some of which were valid conversations such as how their government functions and why they were attacking. Many though, were not as it was just him complaining about the cold weather. It wasn’t a problem but it was still getting on the General’s nerves.

“Jean-Paul, could you shut up for a while? We still have two days to go before we meet with the Hutch army. It will get warmer the more we go south so be a little patient.” General Harnacei requested with a fairly patient face.

“I apologize. It is just that I do not enjoy cold weather. It brings back bad memories. That and this bread is shit.” Jean-Paul said unapologetically as he tried tearing a piece off a small loaf of stale bread.

“Be grateful. The food is rationed and that is all we can afford for a midday meal.” General Harnecia stated with a slightly more annoyed tone.

“I understand. My homeland suffered under harsh rule as well and many of us couldn’t afford bread. I should be more grateful.” Jean-Paul replied.

“What do you mean harsh rule?” The General asked with a confused tone.

“Based on how you described your nation's political situation it’s obvious that you’re an oppressed people. Perhaps you should consider instating a new power? Yourself perhaps?” Jean-Paul suggested in a rather innocent fashion.

“Do not tempt me to evil. I have faith in my nation's leadership.” General Harnecia stated.

“If I’ve learned anything from my past it’s that anyone who puts faith in their government is a fool. The people should always come first and if a nation's leaders fail in this mission then they are not fit to lead anyone.” Jean-Paul replied in a condescending manner.

“...”

Speeding up his Norse, the General rode further ahead of Jean-Paul to avoid having to talk to him anymore. Though the General couldn’t help but think about what he said. The thought of himself ruling over Paslone didn’t sound that bad.

* * *

In the nation of Arkin, Thomas appeared on the balcony of a large castle. This castle though was the Grand Cathedral of the Church. A pompous building littered with art, gold, and hypocrisy. He peeked inside the door to the marble-finished room connected to the balcony. Not a soul in sight. Perfect for him to sneak into.

Going inside, he found himself a nice position in the corner and set up a chair for him to sit in. once he had the chair set up where he wanted it he fell into it and relaxed for a bit. As he waited he could hear the bell toll for the afternoon prayer. Which meant that the person he was waiting for wouldn’t appear for another hour. Thus, he closed his eyes and fell asleep.

When he heard the bell toll once more he woke up and readied himself. The prayer had ended and considering the room he was in, the person he was waiting for would show up soon. After a few minutes, he heard the door handle turn, and in walked an old man dressed in ceremonial robes. The man walked in and quickly took off his robes and set them on a stand. Underneath, he wore a pair of silky pants held up by suspenders. With his chest exposed, it was revealed that he had a tattoo similar to Thomas’. As he finished taking off the robe he turned and saw Thomas sitting in the corner watching him.

“Prince of Death! I see that you are alive and well. I figured that the Ashen One would have ended your life by now? Are you here to take revenge?” The old man asked as his old face showed a mix of terror and regality that he attempted to show.

“I am not petty enough to kill for revenge, nor would I benefit from killing as a Saint.” Thomas replied with a callous but respectful tone.

“A Saint? You do realize what you are saying? To claim to be a Saint is a challenge to the Pope's position. You wouldn’t dare be challenging me?” The Pope mockingly laughed before he sat down on a cushioned bench at the end of his bed.

“I am challenging you. As a representative of the Creator, I deliver a message to the Prince of Lies. You have one week to prepare for the fall of your rule.” Thomas said as he sat more upright.

“Then you shall die!” The Pope declared before he snapped his finger and several spikes shot out of the floor to impale Thomas. However, to the Pope’s surprise, they shattered upon making contact with Thomas. His calm and hateful face morphed into that of shock and disbelief.

Thomas stood up and walked closer to the Pope who was now frozen by fear. As Thomas approached, the Pope cowered a bit but his pride kept him from completely begging for forgiveness. Noticing this, Thomas smirked before walking towards the balcony. Once he reached the door to the balcony he turned his head back to look at the Pope who was still seated.

“You have one week. Either repent or suffer.” Thomas stated before disappearing in an instant.

As soon as the ope was able to gather his thoughts he got up and put his ceremonial robes back on before practically running out the door. Summoning each of the Elders, the Pope called a meeting. If what Thomas said was true then they needed a plan and one week was not going to be enough time. Once they had all gathered, the Pope proposed an idea to prevent their destruction. Summoning a hero not to fight but to help advance their understanding of science. With only a few opposing the idea, it was decided that a hero would be summoned immediately.

5