Trouble Down the Road – Part 09
52 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The Paslonian soldiers arrived at the edge of Hutch territory with an entire force of tired and starved soldiers. However, the Hutch military was able and willing to feed them upon their arrival. Though as soon as they arrived, General Harnacei was led to a tent where General Ellen Harning was waiting. Though she was accompanied by her hero, General Harnacei did not bring his hero with him.

“Where is Paslone’s hero?” Ellen asked with a bit of curiosity as Harnacei entered the tent.

“I had him rest in the tent you prepared for him. I figured it was best not to introduce him to another hero.” Harnacei replied apologetically.

“Why do you think that?” Ellen asked.

“His book stated that he would pick a fight with most people he met from his world so I wanted to play it safe.” Harnacei stated honestly.

“That is understandable. This is Quintus, my summoned hero. He is quite the capable soldier and an asset to our victory here.” Ellen said proudly.

“My summoned hero is named Jean-Paul. He is also a capable soldier and seems to be very smart. Though he is rather annoying. I would rather we made plans without him as his instructions said he would offend every person he met.” Harnacei stated in response.

“That is acceptable. Quintus and I have thought that an all-out attack with both of our armies would cause more problems for us later so we have thought about splitting our armies and attacking from separate positions. You will attack from the west while we attack from the east to spread out their army. If this works then there shall be no Alsenian forces left by sunset tomorrow.” Ellen stated as she looked over the map.

Looking over the map himself, Harnacei saw that this was a good plan no matter which side he was on. Both the Hutch and Paslonian soldiers would destroy the Alsenian forces out of sheer numbers and skill. Splitting the spoils of the war would come later. However, he had worked with Ellen before. Knowing that she only does this to fight and for no other reason. She doesn’t care about anything else so it was doubtful that she would care if Paslone took more than their share of the spoils. There was just one problem.

“I have no problems with this plan. However, I wish to know how you plan to deal with the Alsenian spearman corps, which has always been a threat in the past?” Harnacei asked before sitting in the folding chair that had been set for him across the map.

“We have a well-trained cavalry unit for them. Once the spearmen are overrun then we can easily surround them and win.” Ellen stated.

“Good. They have been an issue in the past so it’s good that you thought of a way to stop them.” Harnacei replied.

“Indeed. Your army will be imperative for this battle. Make sure that you are taking them from the side at exactly noon tomorrow.” Ellen stated.

“Of course. In return, I expect that my country will get a fair part of the land and the spoils.” Harnacei said.

“Naturally.” Ellen said honestly as she had no desire for the spoils of the war.

With a simple but respectful bow, Harnacei left the tent and went to his own tent where Jean-Paul was resting. As soon as he entered the tent, Jean-Paul sat up and stood at attention for the General. Though General Harnacei was not accustomed to people standing at attention around him so he just ignored the Frenchman.

“You do not have to do that around me. My men do not need to do that so neither should you.” Harnacei said before sitting at the table in the back of the tent. Sitting in the center of the table was a large glass bottle with two short glasses beside it. Inside was a brown liquid that Harnacei recognized quickly.

“What’s that?” Harnacei asked.

“A gift from our allies. Fine wood-aged liquor. I tried some but figured you would be annoyed if I drank the whole thing.” Jean-Paul said before sitting across from Harnacei at the table.

“Then let us drink. We have to get up at sunrise though to prepare for the battle though so don’t drink too much.” Harnacei said as he pulled the glass topper off the glass bottle.

“I would never dream of it.” Jean-Paul said smugly as Harnacei poured him a glass.

* * *

“So what do you think of him?” Ellen asked Quintus as she poured a drink for him and her.

“He seems a bit too trusting of another nation's General. That and he seems a bit too greedy for my taste.” Quintus replied.

“I would agree. However, I have known Harnacei for a long time. He is only trusting of me because he knows me. As for his greed, well he is far too caring for his people. His country's leaders have failed to keep both its economy and to keep the nation it has controlled since the war running properly. Because of that, his country is on the verge of collapse with far too many people unable to pay for food.” Ellen said as she handed him his drink.

“So that’s what has caused him to act in such a strange way. One of my past leaders was overthrown for failing to be faithful to his people. If he truly cared for his people then he would free them from their bad leadership.” Quintas stated harshly.

“I would agree, but I don’t think you understand who he is. He will do what he thinks is right in his eyes. He’ll take more than his spoils in this battle because he thinks it’s right. That he can help his people with it. I won’t stop him because I know he has his heart in the right place. However, I won’t stop him from making the decision to take over his country.” Ellen replied.

“I never expected someone as blunt as my master to care about someone else's feelings.” Quintus said with a slight chuckle.

“Of course, I wouldn’t expect you to understand.” ellen said with an annoyed look before chugging her drink and pouring another.

“What do you mean by that?” Quintus asked.

“I mean that your words offend me and that you don’t understand me.” Ellen stated.

“Good. Then you can look past your emotions and come up with new ideas for battle.” Quintus said as he drank some of his drink.

“You don’t understand. I seek others who share the same passion for battle that I do. Harnacei happens to have that same desire but he is hindered by his desire to help his people.” Ellen said.

“So you think that he is dumb for being a caring person?” Quintus asked before finishing his glass.

“Of course not. He is what I would consider the perfect soldier. His care for his people only helps to encourage that which I respect.” Ellen said with a bit of an embarrassed look.

“I understand. Should I consider the possibility of a marriage between you and General Harnacei?” Quintus asked jokingly as he set his glass down for another round of alcohol.

“Don’t joke about such things. He’s ten years younger than me and not my type. He’s far too much of a politician outside of battle.” Ellen said adamantly.

“That’s fair. Though I would have assumed you were into less dominant men.” Quintus said.

“Quite the opposite. I want someone who can stand toe to toe with me.” Ellen stated.

3