The Final Battles – Part 1
41 1 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The General, Otto Nankan sat atop his Norhs leading the long caravan of soldiers, Norhs, and supplies. It had been two days since they set off and had already crossed the nation of  Ranlli as well as Ranknu. To the Northwest was the swamp that made up what was left of the Empire and to the southwest was Rankwin, the land they intended to pass through. Otto had already sent several scouts and messengers ahead to request permission to pass through their lands with the intent of aiding Alsenia in battle. He already knew that the lands between Swalli and Alsenia would never tell him no under the circumstances but it was still respectful. However, something unsettled the General. Call it a simple gut feeling, but something didn’t feel right to him. 

 

Even so, he led the Swalli military onward with a desire for victory. Though only the smell of farmer's fields accompanied him in his desire. Many of the soldiers were excited for the battle to come but few were in it for the glory. Rather, many were only interested in the spoils of war. Whether it be the coin they earned or the trophies they brought back. A way of thinking he considered both dishonorable and inhuman. If the spoils were all an army cared about then no tactic would be out of the question, innocent blood would be readily spilled for the sake of greed.

 

Pondering these things, Otto gazed off into the distance. His state, however, was interrupted by the sound of thunder in the distance and a slight tremor. Looking astounded, Otto yelled out to calm his men and the tremor returned stronger. The Norhs became restless and some fought against the openly scared riders. In the distance, the entire caravan watched as the Imperial swamps to the Northwest began to rise like a mountain. The swamp water, which had originally been draining out through a small river ahead of them, began to rise with it. Realizing that the water was rising, Otto looked ahead to see that their path led over the river using a small bridge. 

 

“Everyone, Charge for the bridge before it gets flooded!” General Nankan barked rapidly. Each of the carts began to move as quickly as they could while the foot soldiers ran as fast as they could. Those riding Norhs ran ahead to keep the bridge open to them. Otto, on the other hand, ran around the back, barking orders left and right in order to make sure all his soldiers and supplies crossed the bridge before it was flooded.

 

The water was getting closer and closer, the roar of the water echoed in Nankan’s ear as he rushed about. The tremors that had come earlier were only getting worse, making it difficult for the carts to go fast enough. It was complete chaos that was only being managed by the competence of the Swalli soldiers. Rushing the last cart of the supplies over the bridge, Otto watched as the floodwater approached them. Then he heard a crack. The wheel of the cart had snapped. Since there was no time, he rode over to the Norhs pulling it.

 

“Get on the Norhs. Don't worry about the supplies. We have plenty more.” The General ordered the cart driver who nodded and did as he was told. Pulling out his weapon, Nankan cut the leather ties holding the Norhs to the cart and it sped off with the driver. Following right behind the driver, Otto raced forward, the swampy floodwater right on them. Crashing into the bridge, the water took the cart of supplies and the bridge with it. Though the waters otherwise missed them, Otto was now concerned. What was going on within the Imperial borders and why had the city miraculously risen out of the swamps? 

 

“General?” One of Otto’s Leuitenents spoke up as he approached him.

 

“Yes?”

 

“Do you know what is going on, Sir, and if so, could you tell us.” He asked in a respectful but curious and worried tone.

 

“I wish I knew. Though that is not our current task. Have the men regroup and begin marching the caravan toward Alsenia. They are waiting for us.” General Nankan ordered with a stoic nature but an equally perplexed tone.

 

Saluting the General, the Lieutenant rode off and began ordering the men into formation. With a sigh, Otto turned back toward the mesmerizing city that now made up the Empire’s territory with a worried expression. He knew this must have been an omen. Whether it was a good or a bad omen, he could not say for certain yet so he shook the worry from his head and returned to his spot within the caravan.

 

1