Chapter 20 – Our Corruption
1.3k 2 39
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It was that time of the year again. We were going to the capital for the social season. 

I was very much looking forward to it. As most nobles were in their country estates for summer, gatherings and events were rare, because travel took a long time. Invitations had to be sent out very early on, so it was agreed for mutual convenience that they be limited. 

Mother masterfully planned out the tea party two months ago to show off the news of our new diamond mine to other noble ladies, though I had been too excited about the event itself to notice. It had been a special occasion, and I hadn’t seen my friends since, despite our letters. 

I was excited to be around many people again. Father and Mother took me every year, and everyone always showered me with compliments. I smiled just at the thought. 

“Are you all packed, darling?”

“Yes, Mother!”

I yawned. We got up early so we could travel as far as possible in a day, and the sun was just rising. It wasn’t very safe to spend nights in the wild, so we had to make it to a city by sunset. 

Sitting in a carriage all day was tiring in its own boring way, so the chef prepared a large breakfast for us. It was like a farewell feast, since we wouldn’t be returning until next June. 

I savored the eggs and bacon, expertly cooked to melt in my mouth, leaving a satisfied feeling behind. The waffles and pancakes were slightly sweet, with the perfect soft texture, and I couldn’t help eating more. Our milk came from the cow we owned, and the berries were freshly picked from our property, so they were of the best quality. I relished the mild but rich taste of bread, and tried a variety of desserts that were sweet as heaven. 

When I finished, I was very full and happy, as people were after an excellent meal. In the capital, we could eat like this everyday. With that nice thought, we went down and boarded the carriage. 

Father, Mother, and I all took the same one, while the servants and knights we were taking took a few separate ones following ours. It started moving, and we were off. I watched as our castle became smaller and smaller in the distance before fading out of sight. 

“I think we shall host a private concert, invite a few friends. You should perform that marvelous new song you’ve been practicing, darling.”

“That sounds wonderful!”

I knew Mother’s definition of a ‘few’, and I couldn’t wait to show off in front of everyone. In this life, I was finally able to create beautiful art in my music, and actually enjoy the process. I planned to take advantage of every opportunity to display what an elegant lady I was and what a graceful queen I would make. 

“We should also have a grand dinner soon. I want to spread the word that our House has a brilliant successor.”

“And of course, we can’t forget to exhibit the diamonds. They’ll all want to see!”

I giggled at Father’s warm grin and Mother’s sly smile. Life was so pleasurable when we were rich and powerful! I was really proud to belong to House Avington. 

We chatted as the trip went on, and it was fun, until the carriage gradually grew almost too hot to bear. I opened the window and breathed in some fresh air, but even the wind was warm. It was ridiculous for October weather, and I tried to distract myself with the pretty scenery. However, trees and fields could only be interesting for so long. I yawned. 

“Darling, why don’t you take a nap? You must be tired, since you got up early.”

“That’s a good idea, Mother. I think I will.”

“Here, you can sleep on my lap.”

Mother’s skirt was soft and comfortable, and she gently caressed my hair. My eyes slowly closed and I drifted to a sweet sleep. 

All was calm, until I woke when the carriage suddenly came to a stop. Yells sounded outside. 

“What happened?”

I rubbed my eyes, stretching. Father’s brows were furrowed slightly, like he was annoyed, but not concerned. Soon, the yells faded, and the carriage door opened. 

“Your Grace, I apologize for the delay. We’ve captured the robbers.”

Sir Williams bowed. Father nodded, and stepped outside. 

“I’d better go see who dares to attack House Avington’s carriages.”

I sat, blinking, for a few seconds. Then, I came to my senses, curiosity capturing me, and I hurriedly followed them. A few of our servants and knights formed a small cluster and I moved to the front, next to Father. 

“Valentina, go back to the carriage. It’ll just be a moment.”

“It’s hot in the carriage, and I want to see!”

Father yielded to my cuteness and sighed. He shifted to the side to let me through. 

Some people knelt on the ground. They were covered in dirt and grime, and wore tattered rags that were on the verge of falling apart. Their cheeks were sunken and sallow, and they were so skinny it was like their skin hung on their bones. Even as they knelt there, despite their defiant expressions, it looked like they might fall over and collapse at any moment. 

Most of them were men, though there were a few women. Some were young, and some older. None of them looked to be physically fit in the slightest. 

“Do you know what crime you have commited?”

Sir Williams’ voice scared me. His face was grim enough to terrify anyone, and I was reminded again that this was the man that cut down countless enemies for Father. 

A young man, who was the leader, it seemed, answered. He tried to sound brave, but his voice trembled. I couldn’t tell if it was from hunger or fear. 

“The only sin I’m aware of is trying to stay alive and feed ourselves.”

“Yet you dare rob a noble? Are you aware who this is?”

The man shook his head. 

“This is His Grace, Grand Duke Avington.”

“We don’t even know how to read, how are we supposed to tell? I don’t care what duke he is, he’s rich, ain’t he? One of his jewels can feed us for months.”

Father spoke before Sir Williams could reply. His voice was regal, but exposed no emotion. 

“It doesn’t matter. Release them, and let’s go. We don’t have time to waste.”

“You nobles are all the same! You don’t care if we die at all, don’t you?!”

The man tried to stand up, but the knights pushed him down. Father looked at him coldly. 

“Is it my fault that you are in this state?”

He turned towards the carriages, but Sir Williams stopped him. I caught his whisper. 

“You have to set a good example for Lady Valentina, my lord.”

Father frowned, and sighed. He nodded and turned back around. 

“Explain what has happened. Why do you believe you have the right to rob a noble?”

“Baron Helmdon hired us to work for him, but then he fired us and he wouldn’t pay us a penny. We started a protest, and his people beat us up. He forbade businesses from hiring anyone from our village, and when there was a storm a few weeks ago, he wouldn’t give us anything to rebuild. Said there wasn’t enough money!”

Just then, his stomach grumbled loudly. He flushed slightly. 

“None of us have eaten in weeks, left whatever we could find for the children. And even that’s not much, they’ve started trying to eat dirt and bark. Some of ‘em are sick, they’re gonna die soon if we don’t get the money to buy medicine.”

Father shook his head, irritated. He waved a hand dismissively. 

“Give them a few coins, and send them on their way.”

Sir Williams carried out his order, and he headed back towards the carriages. I stood there for a moment, uncertain. 

I felt nothing. More accurately, I felt so many things at once that I couldn’t tell the exact emotions and my brain refused to acknowledge the utter confusion so thoroughly that I was numb. 

Baron Helmdon was one of Father’s vassals. I knew him because he was a funny man that often visited and sent us presents. Nobles like him and their victims were likely all over the grand duchy. We had always been corrupt, I knew, and it was basically the essence of our faction. It was part of why the royal family wanted to get rid of us, and how the author made the female lead so saintly in comparison. Even Father was corrupt, or we wouldn’t live in the luxury we did. 

Guilt? Pity? Anger? Sadness? Horror? Disgust? I didn’t know what to feel, or what I should feel. 

If I were the saint, I would gladly give all I had to help those less fortunate than me. But through all my sympathy, a tiny voice said in my head, ‘so what?’ So what if they were suffering? What did that have to do with me? Why should I care about them? 

When I became the grand duchess, I would have to, though. When I became queen, I would be responsible for all my citizens. It was the duty of rulers to serve the people, and to do it well. The female lead had no prior experience of that, only her kindness and willingness to learn. I would soon start successor lessons, so at least I would be more qualified in that aspect. 

Of course, what Father was doing couldn’t be wrong. He would always do the best for our family, that I knew for certain, so he must have his reasons. That wasn’t a crime, was it? It was just a difference in values. 

Ah, was this right? I didn’t know. 

My goal was to become queen, and with that, I could include improving the lives of my people. That sounded like a lot of work that I wasn’t sure I would be willing to do, but at least it would be one righteous thing. 

“Darling? Come on, we’re leaving!”

“Coming, Mother!”

I could sort out my morals later. I still had lots to learn, and a long way to go. 

First, I could become queen, and maybe the things I would do for the people could even balance the sins I would have to commit to get there.

39