Chapter 24 – Friendships?
1.1k 4 39
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“My lady, did you hear? Something terrible happened!”

Tia was helping me get dressed in the morning, probably because Zoe likely came back late. I yawned. The girl was too excited this early. 

“No. Tell.” 

“A lady’s ill, seriously ill! She was having some foreign tea, but her maid didn’t brew it properly and it made her sick, so now they say she might lose her voice!”

I giggled, but then studied Tia curiously. Did news really spread this quickly? Or was this another golden finger God intended to give to the female lead? Now that I thought about it, how had her saintly reputation spread so quickly, if not for this girl? 

Maids talked, others listened, and the contents of their discussions often reached the ears of their masters, if they were willing to listen. Servants and maids were an extremely important source of information, but I had only considered Zoe in her abilities to collect facts. Honestly, efficient as she was, I could imagine that Tia would get along with other maids much better than her, with Tia’s personality literally designed to be liked. 

“The maid’s going to be punished severely, and they say they’re going to lock her up for a really long time. I’m so glad I know better now, all thanks to Zoe!”

It was true that Tia had become far less clumsy, and I couldn’t recall scolding her recently. I was impressed that Zoe was such a good influence. Besides, our maids had to know better than to accidentally poison their masters, even if it had been no accident. 

“Why don’t you come with me today? Zoe can take a break.”

“Really, my lady? Thank you so much! I promise I won’t mess up!”

Tia beamed, and I smirked slightly. Now that she was more capable, I wouldn’t be irritated to have her around, and I could use her well. If my theory was correct, then this girl could be a human speaker when it came to spreading information and rumours, and a magnet when it came to collecting intelligence and gossip. 

Mother went to court, so I ate alone for breakfast. Some of my tutors had arrived, so I met with a few of them in the morning, and received lessons, which felt strangely refreshing after such a break. I was very tempted to tell my poison tutor of my accomplishment to make her proud, but I thought better of it. 

“Where are we going now, my lady?”

“To find Delilah, for lunch. I hope Annalise is also there.”

“She is, my lady. Her maid said that they were planning to go riding in the afternoon.”

“Excellent.” 

I adored riding, and I was once again impressed with Tia’s knowledge. Additionally, I knew that other young ladies would be there as well, and I looked forward to showing off my skills. 

Tia wasn’t as annoying as before, and prattled on about other maids in a quieter manner, except this time I was actually listening. I suddenly realized how valuable this could be. 

“And there was this one who wouldn’t stop going on about how her lady can’t sleep alone. She’s older than you, my lady, but she was crying like a baby as soon as they turned the light off! The maid and the lady’s parents couldn’t sleep at night at all!”

“Whose was the lady?”

“Huh? Um, Lady Fiona Castell, I think? I’ll pay attention next time, my lady!”

It was hard not to like the girl, though she reminded me constantly of the female lead, and the thought immediately disgusted me. If I got attached to a maid, I might not be determined enough to do anything to the female lead when the time came. Besides, after all, she was a commoner. I was satisfied for her company to be comfortable instead of a nuisance. 

In the end, she was only a convenient but expendable tool. But then what were those that I called friends? We arrived before I could reach an answer. 

“Good day, Lady Valentina.”

“You’re finally here? Lady Valentina, I missed you so much!”

It was the small dining room we always used, ‘we’ referring to the clique of young nobles girls from our faction that I unofficially led. Delilah and Annalise greeted me first, being my closest confidantes, but everyone else also lifted their heads, because it was only natural that I attracted attention everywhere. It was just the way things were ever since I was born. 

However, now, I could no longer view the rest of them as mindless admirers. They were potential allies for the future, to boost my reputation outside of my family, to make me dispensable to the crown prince, to stand by House Avington even if we rebel. 

“Lady Valentina, how have you been?”

“I love your dress!”

“Congratulations on the diamond mine! Is it true that you found it, Lady Valentina?”

“Your necklace is so pretty!”

Normally, I would have smiled triumphantly and bragged. I still intended to do that, but more politely, and I actually paid attention to who these people were. I took note of who complimented me, who did not, who looked sincere, who looked jealous. Trying to assess how useful each one of them might be, I did my best to match them to their names, their families, and their reputations. 

From the few I could identify, for the very first time, I realized I was literally surrounded by a gold mine of political power. Tsk, tsk. In all her eighteen years, how could the original Valentina not have noticed? I felt a cold rush of excitement and glee. 

“I’m well, thank you very much. It’s delightful to see everyone again!”

There was a temporary lull as the room adjusted, briefly surprised at my new attitude. Things gradually relaxed again as I continued on, still more courteous and aware than usual, but getting to the topics that were almost bursting out of me. 

“The necklace was a gift from a foreign noble, it’s the only one that exists in the world. Father gave it to me, among other things, after the diamond mine. I found it through a dream from God, and it was very enlightening. Father also gave me…”

The other girls gasped and exclaimed at appropriate moments as I told my tale. I made sure to reply and acknowledge their reactions, which was basically the highest honor anyone could hope to receive. 

It was much work, and I constantly had to remind myself, but perhaps it was worth it. Everyone was talking and laughing more often, and that pleased me. Slowly, I would turn every single one of them into loyal supporters that would die for me, because that might be what I would need them to do, in the worst case scenario. 

“I don’t take half of these lessons, but it’s not like I can possibly compare to you. You’re so amazing, Lady Valentina! You must be a genius!”

“Indeed, have you heard of that new theory on revolution? So many call it preposterous, but I wonder what you think?”

Above all, I looked to Annalise and Delilah. Annalise knew how to flatter the best out of them all, and in a sincere way that no other could possibly match. Delilah’s comments were intelligent, and her company the most intriguing and enjoyable, though she was also the hardest to read. 

Never would I want to lose these two. Never would I want for them to betray me. 

“Are you all finished eating? Shall we play some cards, then, and go riding later?”

“That sounds excellent, Lady Delilah.”

Delilah knew which activities were the most fun and that these were some of my favorites, but I discovered that I barely knew hers. I thought I had heard somewhere that she liked hunting, so maybe we could do that sometimes. Other people could be interesting, and I especially wanted to know more about my best friends. 

When I became queen, Delilah and Annalise would be right by me. I would keep them safe, like my family. And the rest of them, too, for making the wise decision to be on my side. Yet by then, I would no longer need to keep up this kind pretense. Delilah and Annalise knew what I was really like and they were willing to stay with me, the real me. As for the rest of them, my status alone would keep them around, and even if they didn’t, I would no longer need them. 

“Lady Valentina, you’re so pretty, I bet there’ll be so many boys trying to court you once you debut! And you dance so well, too!”

“Of course, Lady Valentina will charm anyone she meets. But with her wit, she could contribute so much to society and our kingdom.”

“I think she can do all of it at the same time!”

“Lady Valentina, what do you want to do?”

“Ah, I’m not sure yet.”

Still, they all brought me an odd warmth that I hadn't appreciated before. To the loneliness of my past life, it would have been entirely foreign. Nevertheless, I had to keep in mind that I only had these fortunes because of my status. 

We played several rounds of cards, then went riding through the large fields behind the castle. The day was bright, like our mood. It was very freeing, riding against the wind, hair flying behind us. The companionship made it even better than I would have thought possible. 

“Did you hear that Viscount Jameson’s son still can’t ride a horse, even though he’s thirteen?”

“Seriously? Hahahaha!”

“Hmm, that could damage his family’s image, no?”

Giggling, we talked of the freshest gossip, making fun of other nobles, pretending we were all grown up and important. I hadn’t been this happy for a long time, with this kind of joy only attainable through friendship. 

I wanted to cherish them, to treasure every moment of this wonderful afternoon. I almost felt satisfied, I almost forgot, I almost thought, why risk it all?

Then, we were around the dining table again, for dinner. Our lively discussion was, of course, filled with the freshest news. 

“Really, some maids are horrible. Lady Luisa Smyth had one that messed up brewing tea she got from the queen, and it wrecked her throat.”

“How terrible! Who is she, again?”

“Hahaha! Still, her family should have known better than to hire something like that.”

I didn’t say anything, because I feared I might laugh too much to the point of suspicion. We went on to complain about maids, disregarding those that stood right by us, or picking ones out to praise, when some of the girls felt generous. 

Regardless, the topic reminded me of my ambitions. It bothered me for the rest of the evening, along with the dilemma that had plagued me in the morning. 

“Goodbye, Lady Valentina!”

“I had so much fun today!”

“Me too!”

“Goodbye!”

When we parted after dinner, and I arrived back at my room, I finally left even those that walked the same way as me. I was alone again, with only Tia. 

“Ah…” 

Though the day had been fun, it had also been exhausting. My mind raced, suddenly free to wander after all its previous occupations vacated. There was something I wanted to do.

“Tia, send some hydrangeas to Lady Luisa Smyth to comfort her. I think she was the one who lost her voice from the tea.”

“Yes, my lady!”

Hydrangeas symbolized sympathy. Another step to improve my reputation, especially with Tia. To me, unquestionably, servants were still more tools than friends. 

But what of Delilah and Annalise, and the rest of them? Would it be worth it, if I had to lose them to get my crown? There would likely be sacrifices, I knew, but how much was too much?

I bit my lip and shook my head. There was only one throne, but many friends to be made. If I was executed as a villainess, I would lose everything, even my family. First and foremost, the heart of all my ambitions, was power. That was unchangeable. Everything else came after.

It was decided, then, though it made me uneasy. I would resolve to use any methods needed, whatever it took. It… would be worth it. 

39