Chapter 31 – Tragedy of Maids
893 1 31
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The next day after Zoe’s report, I one of the books on the ifyeffier flower I had her bring me while she cleaned my room. 

I couldn’t focus at all. I wanted to be doing something, anything, other than sitting here reading about a plant I wasn’t even sure existed. 

I gave up and threw the book onto my table, laying my head down, trying to clear my thoughts. I had tried to keep myself busy, but the fact was unavoidable that I wasn’t in control of the situation yet. More measures needed to be taken. 

“Zoe, find me some girls willing to be loyal to House Avington but with no detectable connections to us. They should be smart and hardworking, preferably maids with experience that can be easily hired by a noble house. Train them if you need to.”

No, that wasn’t enough. I needed to be sure they wouldn’t betray me. 

“They must be dedicated to their families, and their families must be poor and unimportant so that they can be controlled, and can’t do anything if something happens. You should probably wait until we get back to our territory, then, or find families that can be relocated and we’ll bring them back with us. As many as you can, as soon as possible.”

Zoe stopped cleaning and faced me, to be respectful as I talked. 

“Yes, my lady. What should I do with them?”

“Once they’re good maids, send them to be hired at Baron Bryant’s household, some at his property in his land, some at his mansion in the capital. Make sure that at least a few of them can be promoted and trusted, so that if, say, the lost lady returns in a decade or so, she can become her personal maid.”

I double-checked with myself to make sure I wasn’t missing anything. 

“She needs to be desperate for money and willing to do whatever I order, if you know what I mean. And likeable, so that people trust her and tell her things. When they’re ready, send them out at different times to not arouse suspicion. Additionally, secure a way to communicate with them once they’re hired.”

“I understand, my lady.”

“See to it that they can’t be traced back to us at any cost, and ensure that they’re loyal and well-trained. I supposed I don’t have to worry about that, given how nicely you’ve done with Tia.”

“Thank you for your trust, my lady, but it’s not me. Tia is eager to learn.”

I looked at Zoe, whose face was expressionless as ever. She wasn’t arrogant, by any means, but she wasn’t exceedingly modest either, and never denied any compliments that were true. I liked that about her, so this surprised me a little. Even more, she rarely presented opinions, though she stated it like a fact and I didn’t doubt that it was accurate. 

“Do elaborate.”

Zoe never met my eyes, staring at the ground and averting her gaze in the appropriate way for servants. However, I thought she lifted her head a little. 

“She tries very hard and practices what I teach her repeatedly until she can get it right. She is no genius and doesn’t learn exceptionally fast, but she is committed and doesn’t give up. Her natural clumsiness is a barrier she is determined to overcome, and she is succeeding. I am certain that all her past faults were due to lack of training, and if you’ve noticed, my lady, she doesn’t make the same mistake twice.”

I had not expected this in-depth analysis of her coworker, and I couldn’t help but nod in agreement. I had wondered how she was able to get hired at the Bryant estate in the novel, but she must’ve learned from her experiences after I fired her, which I didn’t do this time. Without doubt, she was even more efficient with Zoe’s training. 

Zoe rarely offered unnecessary extensions unless I asked for them, and I was surprised when she did so this time. 

“In fact, my lady, Tia fits your earlier description.”

“Oh?”

Now that I thought about it, it wasn’t that odd. Maids were often from poor families, and Tia’s lack of training when she had been hired might’ve been excused with her willingness to learn, according to Zoe. And I already knew that if I had fired her like in the novel, she would’ve went to work for Baron Bryant and become the female lead’s maid. 

Aside from that, I realized how little I knew about the personal lives of the two people in the world that spend the most time with me. It wasn’t unusual, between nobles and servants.

“Tia’s mother died when she was young and her father began to drink and mistreat her and her siblings. She had never received a kind word in her life, so she became instantly attached to Your Ladyship when you took an interest in her.”

‘Mistreat’ must’ve been the sugarcoated version Zoe deemed acceptable for a nine-year-old. I couldn’t imagine what abuse she must’ve suffered to become so dependent. No wonder she was willing to die for the female lead. 

“She is completely loyal to Your Ladyship and House Avington, and she works extremely hard. She and her older brother are working to support their three little brothers with whatever is left after their father steals the money they earned, and House Avington pays the best in the kingdom, after the royal castle.”

Ah, money, the root of all things human. We weren’t stingy when it came to paying our servants, since we had to ensure their quality and loyalty. 

“Still, against all odds, she keeps her optimism.”

I couldn’t quite tell, but Zoe seemed to smile, a little.

“You know a lot about her.”

Obviously, Zoe and Tia were closer than I had thought. Well, I had never really thought about it. 

“She talks a lot, my lady.”

I nodded. Given how much time they spent together, Tia would’ve likely told her whole family history by now. I wasn’t sure how she would feel about Zoe revealing all this to me, but as her employer, she couldn’t do anything.

“And what about you? What’s your story?”

Though I asked it casually, any hint of emotion on Zoe’s face became hidden behind a guarded mask. I only asked because I didn’t want to get back to work, but I couldn’t exactly say this reaction was unexpected. She was so private about herself. 

I almost told her to forget about it, since I wasn’t that interested, but she answered me. 

“I was an orphan here in the capital, and I became a maid for a rich merchant’s family. I was trained there, and they paid well. However, the young master… took a liking to me. When I rejected his advances, he had me fired.”

Tsk, tsk. It was unfortunate, especially since high society had so much power over servants, so these affections were completely inconsiderate and imbalanced, capable of carelessly ruining lives. It was their loss. 

When it came to things like this, this world was truly behind the world of my past life. But I myself didn’t have to worry about it, so I didn’t care that much. After all, this brought me Zoe. 

“The madame took pity on me and wrote me a recommendation letter. The housekeeper there knew the housekeeper at Avington castle, so when she heard it was hiring, she referred me to where I am today. It is an honour to work for House Avington and Your Ladyship.”

I couldn’t tell what she was thinking at all, despite her words, but I smiled nevertheless. 

“You’ve done good work for me. You went to school?”

“Yes, until I began to work. I also listened when the young master took his lessons.”

That explained it. Often, children from poor families didn’t even know how to read and write, so I had wondered how she was able to do so much. 

“Have you ever had the misfortune to read the Affairs of Abbeyton Manor?”

“Yes, my lady. The young master forced me to read it aloud for him.”

“Ha, that’s horrible! What did you think of…”

Having a conversation with Zoe was strangely relaxing. I didn’t have to put up the pretense of being kind, as her master. It was like reclaiming bits of my former self, before I had realized being myself would get me killed. 

In the time before, when I didn’t have to care about the novel, I would have never spoken in anything but orders to maids, for I considered them below me. I still did, but now I recognized their value as useful and necessary tools.

I didn’t know if it was good or bad, but it was progress.

To be honest, I liked Zoe and Tia, even if it was just because of the amount of time they spent with me. Both their situations were somewhat tragic, and surely they would be loyal to me for being their saviour. When I became queen, if they were helpful, I could grant them titles and make them my ladies in waiting. 

Zoe, though, knew a little too much. I might have to deal with her some other way, but I wouldn’t think about that now. It would be a pity to lose such a good maid.

31