Chapter 36 – My Brother Returns
820 1 25
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It was a clear and bright day, not too cold. I walked up and down the path in the garden leading up to the royal castle, looking closely at the main road. 

The street was busy with carriages, pedestrians, and riders, given that it was a busy avenue. I stayed a safe distance away from the gate, but close enough that I could see anyone that came through. I didn’t like getting close to carriages when I wasn’t riding one, likely because of how I died in my last life. 

“My lady, you asked me to force you to go back to studying if you stayed out too long.”

“Yes, but these are special circumstances. Damian’s coming back today, remember?”

“Yes, my lady, but His Lordship isn’t estimated to arrive until after sunset, and it’s barely noon.”

“Well, whatever! I’ve worked hard lately. Be quiet, Zoe.”

“Yes, my lady.”

I half-wished she would keep trying to persuade me, but she was obedient, as expected. Perhaps I should’ve brought Tia, but I was also half-glad I didn’t. 

I tried to convince myself that I was being productive by studying the guards’ positions, but a bird distracted me and I was soon watching it trying to fight a cat. If I really wanted to study the guards’ layout, I would ask Father. I probably should, someday. 

Right now, though, If I had to read one more word about the suffering of poor orphans, I would order my knights to dig up the author’s grave and rip his body apart. It may be a classic novel, but from the limited memories of my commoner past life, it was completely unrealistic in its portrayal of peasants, obviously written by someone who had never had to work their entire life. 

Ah, if only Damian was here, and we could make fun of it together. The day had never seemed this long… 

“Val!”

I turned at what was unquestionably my brother’s voice. My eyes widened. 

Damian stood beside a carriage next to the gate, waving at me. All my longing that I hadn’t even realized rushed back to me, and I took off running, leaping into his arms. It was truly him! 

“I missed you so much.”

I buried my head in his chest and hugged him tightly, taking in his familiar scent like it was home. He laughed and stroked my hair gently. 

“I missed you too, sweet Val.”

After a while, I reluctantly let him go and took a step back to study him. 

“You’ve gotten skinnier. Didn’t you eat at the academy?”

“And you, my dear sister, have become a piggy.”

“Better than a skeleton.”

We both giggled, and I felt fulfilled. How long had it been, since we laughed together like this?

“Lord Damian was too focused on his magic to eat properly, and I had to feed him sometimes.”

A boy about Damian’s age stepped out of the carriage, grinning. By his clothes and posture, I could tell that he was a noble, but not an important one. 

“I’m Lord Kyle Whittle, Viscount Whittle’s son. Nice to meet you.”

He kissed my hand politely while Damian stared daggers at him. Kyle had a plain face with brown hair and blue eyes, but he appeared to be a well-bred and proper mannered noble. 

“I’m Lady Valentina Avington, daughter of Grand Duke Avington. Good morning.”

“Yeah, Damian wouldn’t stop talking about you.”

He gave a friendly grin. Not the type with tact, that or he was close with Damian. 

“You’re still here? Don’t you have somewhere to be?”

“Wow, so eager to get rid of me? I’m hurt!”

A simple boy, uninterested in making connections. I cocked my head, a bit curious. It may have been my head, but I seemed to vaguely remember that Damian had an assistant named Kyle in the novel. 

Either way, it was good that Damian made a friend. Like me, he was popular for his status, but with a concerning small number of real allies. 

Kyle blabbered on, despite Damian’s complaints. He was a funny guy, and would make a great friend for my brother. 

“Damian was so focused on magic, you know? If he didn’t have a face like that, everyone would call him a nerd, but no, he’s a genius. Talent or effort, it is impressive. He came up with a spell all on his own to make the horses go faster, because he couldn’t wait to see his cute little sister!”

“Aww, Damian?”

My brother blushed, holding back a smile. He waved a hand, and a small magic circle emerged in front of Kyle’s mouth. The boy’s lips moved, but no sound came out. 

“That’ll teach you to stop prattling, and leave me and my sister alone. See if you can figure out how to remove that spell, I designed it on the way here just for you.”

Damian wrapped an arm around my shoulder and we left, leaving Kyle protesting silently. The servants carried his suitcases up to his room, and I sent Zoe to fetch something. 

We walked slowly, catching up. There were so many things we wanted to tell each other about and words spilled out of us. I felt so immensely happy that I couldn’t stop smiling. 

“Did you actually exhaust yourself working on magic, Brother?”

“Nothing I couldn’t handle. I promised you that I’ll become the best mage in the kingdom, Val, so that’s what I’ll do.”

“Then can you promise to take care of yourself as well? It’s the most important thing, all right? Be healthy so you can stay with me!”

“Don’t worry, Sister. I promise.”

If it were only that simple. If I were the saint, my blessing would be enough to protect him. If I were the female lead, I could have a dramatic scene where he was on the verge of death, and I would make him come back to me with his promise. Instead, these were nothing but empty words. 

We reached his room, already prepared for him. Zoe was there too, with the plate of cookies I sent her to get from the kitchen. 

“I told the cook here to make them for you. They’re not like home, but they’re good.”

“You’re the best, Val.”

“I know.”

He must’ve been hungry after such a long journey, and we sat at the small coffee table and ate. Damian told me enthusiastically about everything he learned and his school life. 

I wasn’t particularly interested or knowledgeable in magic and barely understood the things he talked about, but it was fine, because it was him. 

“By the way, how do you know Kyle?”

“Oh, him? I guess he started following me around, and I decided to talk to him once, and then he wouldn't go away. It’s annoying, but I manage. I let him ride back with me in my carriage so his parents won’t have to send a separate one, and so we can start doing the homework on the trip.”

“Is he good, academically?”

“Surprisingly brilliant, and especially great with enchantments. In fact, he helped me make this.”

Damian pulled out a small box and opened it, revealing a sparkling ruby ring. 

“Oh, it’s beautiful!”

“Anything for my sweet sister. Try it on.”

I slipped the ring onto my pointer finger and it fit perfectly. A surge of pleasant heat ran through me, and I looked up at Damian. 

“It’s designed to keep the wearer warm. Of course, like all enchanted objects, the mana will run out and it’ll have to be recharged eventually, so you can’t depend on it, but it can probably be convenient.”

“I love it, Damian. Thank you so much.”

The warmth even reached my heart. Through my attempts to bring him closer to me, I grew attached to him. Now, I couldn’t imagine losing him. 

“Brother, could you ever give up your magic?”

Damian glanced at me with surprise and a slight frown. 

“Never. It’s the most important thing to me, after you. It’s my contribution to the world, my art, my passion.”

I swallowed and nodded. 

“Not even for me?”

“What’s this about, Valentina?”

“Nevermind, it’s nothing. Look, you have cookie crumbs on your chin.”

My brother clearly recognized that I was trying to change the topic, but thankfully allowed it. The mood quickly lightened again, and we were laughing just like old times. 

I couldn’t ask my brother to give up his one sane purpose in life. Then, I would find a way to save him. Even if in the end, I had to take away his magic, I prayed he would understand. 

No matter what, I wanted to keep him alive, with me.

25