Chapter 38 – Successor to Our House (II)
772 1 23
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After the dinner party, we slept at our manor that night since I was too tired to even board a carriage. I dreamed of my old parents again, but I pushed the thoughts away as soon I woke up. 

I ate with Mother and Father for breakfast. It was a rare occasion now for us to be able to eat together because of how busy we all were, and we spoke and laughed more than ever to make up for it. When the meal was over, Father called me before I got up. 

“My angel, let’s talk. Your mother and I want to discuss your lessons with you.”

“All right, Father.”

We went up to his office and sat down at his desk, Mother and I on one side and him on the other. Papers laid around, and Father picked out a stack. He flipped through them, taking reports out and going over them one by one. 

I wasn’t as nervous as I used to, like with my old parents, because it had never been good when I had to speak to them. In this life, my already strong confidence was encouraged further by Father and Mother’s proud smiles. 

“Your governess tells me that your etiquette is the best out of all the young ladies your age, as usual. Good work.”

“Thank you, Father.”

I liked etiquette and how elegant it made me feel. The grace and prestige it gave me was one of the many things I possessed that the female lead didn’t, and I took pride in it. 

“The politics tutor said you do very well, and that she’ll be glad to keep teaching you. But it doesn’t offer credentials until Third Class, so you won’t be taking any exams soon.”

“I know. Please tell the tutor I would like for her to keep instructing me.”

Politics was fine, but it was one of these things you learned more from field experience than from books. With parents like mine, obviously I had extensive knowledge about it. 

“You excel in mathematics, despite the limited lessons the scholar could make time for. He is adamant that you must be a genius, and suggests that you can take the Second Class exams directly in January.”

“I shall take his advice.”

Second Class was the equivalent to middle school graduation, but in my past life I had been graduating high school with a plan to major in computer engineering, and with the huge load of math knowledge required. Exams for credentials took place in late January and late June, the former of which was approaching fast, but I had no worries in the slightest. 

Reincarnation and having the brain of a nine-year-old made some things blurry, but with books and the clarification of my tutor, I was aiming for Third Class credentials in June. I liked math, and I intended on using my reincarnator privileges to the fullest. 

“From my understanding, the scholar that acts as your science tutor is still in our territory because the guild he researches at is there. However, he is recommending you books to read, and exchanges letters with you to answer any questions. He is fond of you and recommends that you needn’t bother with First Class credentials, and focus on preparing for Second Class exams in June.”

“Indeed, I agree with him.”

“Would you like a different tutor that can teach you here in the capital?”

“Not presently, Father. The current one’s sufficient for Second Class, and he explains things very well.”

I remembered less science than math, but it nevertheless came easily with a sense of deja vu, especially because of how behind this world was. I wasn’t concerned about the subject, though I did enjoy it mildly.

“I don’t know much about the arts or its grading, but it seems you’re doing great.”

Mother beamed and answered for me. She had, after all, taught me more piano than the tutor did, though the tutor was the one helping me practice these days because she was rarely free. 

“Oh, yes! Don’t you worry, I’ll have our darling pass the highest qualification before she debuts.”

I loved piano and its music, and I had no doubt in Mother’s conviction. Father smiled and continued. 

“Next, your finance teacher says you are learning slightly faster than expected. The course’s credentials start at Second Class, and she thinks you can try the exam in a few years.”

“Yes, that sounds about right.”

I had taken a few business courses in high school out of interest, but it wasn’t that much. It would be important, though, for when I would take over our grand duchy. 

“I see you have the same tutor in history and geography. He has the same view for both subjects, that with the regular lessons he provides, you are exceedingly average. If you study extremely hard, he believes you may have a chance to pass the exams in June.”

“I’ll study hard, then.”

Well, that couldn’t be helped. History and geography were completely different in this world, and I was but a normal child when it came to that. The scraps from the novel couldn't help a lot, given how limited they were. 

“Your pistol tutor, one of our knights, also stayed behind, since she’s stationed at home. That’s for the best, I suppose. We can arrange for a knight to be your instructor full-time and you can train at the shooting range here. I’ve seen that you have a good start, and it just takes practice to get better.”

“That’s wonderful, Father. I would like to learn to fight with a dagger as well, for when the holy dagger comes to me.”

“Good idea, certainly. I heard that you’ve picked up self-defense again, practicing the old moves. As the successor, you’ll learn some new techniques and take it to the next level.”

In the worst case scenario, this could save my life. I preferred not to think about it, but it was always good to have a backup plan. 

“The poison tutor stayed behind too, for the same reason as the science one. That’s really for the best. Chemistry credentials start at Third Class, so you don’t have to worry about it at the moment. She gives compliments to your passion and dedication.”

“Lovely of her.”

I was genuinely intrigued by the art of poisons and how much it made me feel like a villainess. I didn’t start very well, but a few explosions and broken vials later, I was learning. My tutor and I had a bond that only the near death experience of poisonous fumes could create. 

“The priest that taught you religion quit a while ago, so that may be why you haven’t heard from him in a while. Priest Norman tells me that you’ve visited him a few times for books to read about all things holy, and I believe that’s more than enough. The temple is sending you a new tutor once you become saint anyways.”

Privately, Father didn’t bother to hide his disdain for the temple. I, too, disliked reading long pieces of scripture in the holy language, but what could a fake saint do?

“Your literature teacher has sent me many tearful letters of complaints, and I fired her after she told me she would be rolling in her grave by the time you finally finish reading the book she assigned and pass the exam. Your mother’s found a new tutor, and she’ll begin lessons after Blessing Day.”

“Thank god. And thank you, Father, Mother.”

I couldn’t count the number of times I had almost ordered my literature teacher’s execution, and the only good thing I got out of it was better anger management. The next tutor better be good, but in the end, we could just bribe whoever marked the exams. 

“Overall, we’re very proud of you.”

Mother leaned in and hugged me. These words I heard so often now that I so sorely missed from my old parents never failed to warm my heart. 

“Additionally, since you’re the heir, you have to take military planning and management. I’ll find a retired knight from our forces and have him teach you about battle strategies, and I’ll take you around sometimes for management.”

“Yes, Father!”

I was excited to fully step into my new role as the future grand duchess, and I looked forward to spending more time with Father. Mother stroked my hair gently.

“You’ll be even busier than you are now, darling, but you can’t neglect social networking either. Will you be able to handle it?”

“I can, Mother. You don’t have to worry.”

All my lessons started out difficult at first, because I spent my childhood loafing around all day without expectations that life would ever have to change. Things got better when I became used to it, and it was nonetheless far less stressful than the high school days of my past life. These were just small obstacles that couldn’t stop me from getting my crown. 

I was suddenly reminded of something, and I asked Mother eagerly. 

“Have you asked Baroness Bryant to tutor me yet?”

Father and Mother exchanged glances. They must’ve discussed it due to the underlying connection that I hadn’t been aware of when I asked. If we were openly close with the Ratched family and the baroness, it could potentially be suspicious. 

Still, we were powerful enough that we could easily cover things up again, if it did come to light. Mother replied to me with a shrug. 

“I thought she could teach you foreign languages, since she’s the daughter of an international merchant and she speaks several fluently. But she’s declined all my invitations to gatherings, and I formally sent a request for her to tutor you, she turned it down, saying she was unqualified.”

That didn’t match what I knew about the baroness, which was, truthfully, very little. However, she was supposed to be ambitious, trying at every chance to move her husband and herself up the social ladder, so she would never refuse a chance like this. When the female lead married the crown prince, it was part of why she accepted her and realized how awful she had been. 

On the flip side, her other dominant trait was being passionately in love with the baron, as another part of her distaste for the female lead came from her fear that she was scamming him. And if the baron knew we were behind his last wife’s murder, he would naturally prevent her from accepting an offer to work for us. 

“Thank you, Mother. I want to try something later, I think it could be important.”

I considered telling them about my past life, but I thought of Sir Williams’s reaction and decided against it. In their eyes, I was starting to mature and improve, and it would disappoint them to find me insane. This whole operation could be called off. 

“If that’s all, I think we can head back to the castle.”

“Wait a second, Father.”

I had something important I needed to ask him, what was it… aha!

“Do we have spies in the castle? We do, right?”

Father looked at me for a moment, then chuckled. He picked me up and ruffled my hair. 

“My angel, of course we do. Don’t rush, you’ll find out every little secret we have, and you’ll make House Avington proud.” 

I would, I swore to myself. I definitely would.

23