Chapter 41 – A Blessed Saint (II)
622 2 22
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I took a deep breath and entered the hall. The side chamber was by the platform, so I had a clear path as I glided to the altar, eyes lowered in humility as much as I wanted to raise them. When I was beside the high priest leading the ceremony, I turned and curtsied to the audience. 

The high priest introduced me, though anyone would’ve been living under a rock to not know my name. He made me sound so good that it was barely believable, and I didn’t even think of myself that highly in regards to morals. Not for the first time, I had to contain the urge to laugh. 

He moved on to state my purpose in the holy language, and I listened carefully for my cue. I hadn’t a clue what the words meant, but I knew the sounds well enough that when the high priest finished his speech, I jumped right in. 

‘A brief self-introduction. I bet people normally know what they’re saying about themselves.’

The good thing was that I could spew gibberish and no one in the crowd would notice. I didn’t have to worry about that, though, because I pronounced every cursed syllable perfectly. My voice was clear and echoed through the temple, carrying so that everyone could hear me. I wondered vaguely if a spell had been cast to keep the crowd so quiet. 

‘Next, get blessed by God. Except he’s just a rock.’

When my introduction concluded, the high priest said a few more words I didn’t understand, but I knew the signal. I turned, my back to the public, and walked up the platform. The row of high priests had parted to form two lines, their heads bowed to me in respect, and I went through the middle, heading for the raised dais. 

It was designed so that the dais was visible over the altar, so everyone could see on it the huge statue of God from head to toe. I knelt down before said statue, sitting on my heels and folding my hands. I loathed how tiny I felt, which must’ve been why it was so big, and since no one could see my face, I didn’t bother closing my eyes. In fact, I tried to stare God down, but I couldn’t see his eyes from my position. 

I recited my lines easily. In my past life, unrealistic as it was, I had wanted to be an actress. Then, I realized that I was already acting everyday, and it was just the fame and glory I craved. 

This was the longest and worst part, an uninterrupted speech that must’ve gone on for hours. My legs were soon sore, but I kept going. The words flowed out of me naturally, because in this world I was taking charge of, I was the true saint, the one and only, and God was presumably giving me a blessing. I didn’t know precisely how long it was, but finally, I was done. I stood up slowly, careful not to pull my legs, and turned back around. 

‘Blessings from the high priests. Do they actually do anything?’

One by one, every time I took a step forward, a high priest left their place in the lines to stand in front of me. I would say something, they would say something back, and I again. When they were apparently satisfied, they would press two fingers to my forehead to bless me. We would have another exchange, and they would step back in line while I repeated the cycle with the next priest. 

What annoyed me was that I had to remember responses for all the damned twelve of them, when they just had to memorize for the one of me. I made it through the eleven in the lines, and in the end to the one at the altar. We had a similar conversation to the rest, one with contents I wasn’t aware of. For his blessing, he dipped his fingers into a stone bowl on the altar that held fresh water. It was mostly for show, since we couldn’t risk the water smearing my makeup. All I felt from his blessing was a brief coldness, gone in an instant. 

‘Lastly, vows. If God were really watching us, I would’ve been struck down long before now.’

It was almost as long as the blessing from God. I stood there, speaking all from memory, impressing myself with every passing moment. I still couldn’t look at the crowd out of chastity, so I stared at my reflection in the bowl of water, amusing myself with the irony. 

Excitement built within me for the big moment, until it threatened to burst. After forever, it was time, and I lifted my head, hands clasped in front of my chest, eyes shining with unholy glee. Sunlight streamed through the stained glass windows above God’s statue, casting majestic rays over me and the crowd. I must’ve looked like an angel. 

“I swear on God’s holy name that I shall do my best to serve him and to carry out his purpose, to save those in pain and to spread his name in kindness. I shall serve him as his most loyal follower and child, with gratitude for the gifts he has bestowed upon us. I swear on my life, which he has given, to do nothing but good, as the new saint.”

These promises were the only ones the public understood, so they were the only ones that mattered, because of the people that were going to hold me to them. In their eyes, I was now their saviour and saint.

From all around, the choir on the balconies of the second floor overlooking the chamber spoke altogether. If the high priest had sounded like the side of God that was a kind father, this was the side of him that held omnipresent power. Power that supported me. 

“All hail, Saint Valentina.”

For one glorious moment, I felt like a real saint, a holy angel, a pure messenger of God. 

Now that part was over, I was to spend the rest of the day greeting the attendants of the ceremony. They would give me blessings and good wishes while I thanked them. Ah, I was getting bored already. 

“Congratulations, Saint Valentina. We have high expectations for Your Holiness, and may God bless you to help guide our kingdom.”

The king and queen, as the ones with the highest statues, came to me first, though only the king spoke. I couldn’t tell what they were thinking at all, behind their regal and kind smiles, so I replied politely. 

“Thank you, Your Majesties. I shall strive wholeheartedly to carry out the word of God.”

They moved on to a side chamber, where lunch was going to be served, and where people would mingle and gossip for a bit before going home, because it wasn’t everyday that almost the entire city gathered. 

Prince Oscar and Princess Elizabeth came up next, together. The satisfaction of seeing him and thinking of all the things I’d taken away from the female lead outweighed the distaste of seeing his sister. I smiled as my future fiance spoke. 

“May you bring many blessings to our kingdom, Saint Valentina.”

“Thank you very much, Your Highnesses. I will definitely do my best.”

The princess remained expressionless as she left holding her brother’s arm. I considered sticking my tongue out at her, but thought better of it. 

My own family had the highest status after the royal family, so they came right after. I hadn’t seen them for the past few days because I had been so busy rehearsing, and I longed to hug them when this was all over. I couldn’t help but grin when they approached. 

“I’m so proud of you, my angel. You’ll do great things.”

“Darling, you look so beautiful… oh, you really are a saint!”

“I hated it when they said you were going to serve God with your whole being. You’ll be with us too, won’t you, Val?”

Damian’s eyes were dangerously wide, and I had no idea what being in the grand temple was doing to his mana, if anything. He had been here in previous years, but never since I made him take interest in me. I quickly glanced sideways to make sure no one else heard his whisper, or what I was about to say. 

“Don’t worry, I love you all. I’ll always be an Avington before being the saint, and I’ll never leave you.”

“Then may God bear witness, you are more precious to me than my own life. You will be the saviour of all suffering souls, mine included.”

A high priest was walking towards us, so my family left before Damian could spew any more blasphemy. He caught up with Father and I vaguely heard them discuss a donation to the temple, so thankfully he hadn’t heard us. 

Damian’s charming smile and flowery compliments would steal many hearts when he grew up, and I didn’t mind as long as he sided with me against the female lead, though the escalation of his obsession was a little concerning. Our parents were used to his dramatics, and they would probably step in if things get out of hand. 

Regardless, I had more important matters to worry about today. 

“It’s an honour, Saintess.”

“Saint Valentina, may God let you grant peace.”

“Our family offers you the best of wishes, Your Holiness, and that you may make God proud.”

“May God bless your kindred spirit, child.”

For the whole rest of the day, I received congratulations and blessings. I bowed my head until I was sure my neck was going to snap off, and I thanked people until my throat was incapable of producing another sound. 

“Thank you for your blessing. With it, I will try my hardest to fulfill God’s will.”

Originally, I tried to switch up my phrases, but my brain soon went numb so I used this default one we had prepared. It was a easy lead-in for a priest to come and kindly inform my unsuspecting guests how much a donation would help. 

The only breaks I took were about fifteen minutes for lunch and another fifteen for dinner after evening prayers. The time outside of that, I stood and smiled until my cheeks hurt and my legs were on the edge of breaking. It wasn’t until the clock in the grand temple’s tower struck ten that the priests stopped people from adding to the line, and it was well after eleven after I got through everyone that was already in it. 

“Let me escort you to your room, Your Holiness.”

“Hmm? All right…”

I could barely walk and yawned the whole way there. Luckily, from now on, I would be staying in the temple during the holy days for convenience, so I didn’t have to make any long trips back and forth. I had began preparing for the ceremony before dawn, and now it was way after dark. 

Priest Fernandez, who had volunteered to escort me, considerately remained quiet. I was annoyed when he stopped doing that. 

“Your Holiness, the high priests asked me to let you know that we are very grateful to have you.”

“Of course. Thank them for me.”

“I will. Additionally, we are on the same side now, so please feel free to ask for anything we can provide. We hope to have a mutually beneficial relationship with Your Holiness and House Avington.”

The thrill I felt at this offer was dampened by my exhaustion. I waved dismissively as we had finally gotten to my room, and my tutor bowed and left me. I was asleep as soon as I fell onto my bed.

22