Chapter 45 – The Female Lead’s Best Friend
650 1 20
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

In the novel, the female lead had exactly one girl friend. After all, it was a romance novel, and the side characters’ had little purpose outside making the protagonist look good and advancing her love story. 

Sophia Newfield was exactly that. She was a shy girl that debuted the same year as Catherine, but of noble birth, who first helped her navigate high society, and was later a consultant to her conflicted feelings regarding the male leads. Like with Tia, saying that she worshiped Catherine would be an understatement. 

‘Thank god pink hair isn’t too common…’

The truth was I had forgotten her name, since she basically disappeared from the novel once the romance got intense. Everyone, including the author, likely forgot about her, and it wasn’t until now that I realized she was one of the only things I hadn’t taken away from the female lead yet. I liked to do things completely. 

As the heroine’s friend, she was obliged to look unique, hence the pink hair, but mild enough that she wouldn’t steal the spotlight, hence the personality. I had remembered two things about her, her hair colour and that she was the daughter of a countess. Zoe cross-referenced that with girls the appropriate age, and the one resulting name rang a bell, so she was hopefully the right one. 

Thus, a tea party invitation was sent, and the meek little girl presented herself. 

“H-hello, Lady Valentina. T-thank you, um, for inviting me.”

She was dressed simply, a far cry from all my friends and myself. As usual, my clique stared in disbelief wondering why I would possibly do this, but didn’t question me, reaching their own interpretations of my intentions. 

“Welcome, Lady Sophia. Make yourself comfortable.”

She had the natural poise of a child who had been raised as a noble since birth, but that was as far as it went. As time went on, she practically faded into the background, and I almost forgot about her presence. 

It was a slow afternoon, and at one point, the conversation came to a lull. The instincts of my friends and I to create any drama possible kicked in, starting with Annalise, who knew me best.

“Lady Sophia, was it? Pardon me, but wasn’t the last time the dress you’re wearing was popular thirty years ago?”

A round of giggling ensued, and the girl flushed bright red. My other friends joined in. 

“That necklace looks familiar. I think I’ve seen it passing by a store for commoners.”

“Her hair colour is beautiful, it’s such a shame her face doesn’t match.”

“I know, right? Why, she’s been quiet as a mouse. Do you think she’s forgotten how to speak?”

“It wouldn’t surprise me. Or perhaps she’s just naturally slow, I heard it runs in the family.”

I had done it before, frequently, inviting girls to our tea parties so my friends and I could have fun tearing them apart, so it was no surprise they thought this was what I was doing again. However, I hadn’t done it at all this year, since now I had to bear my reputation in mind, and I doubted I could resist the temptation. 

Sophia’s eyes were welling up with tears, and she hurriedly wiped them away. I had forgotten how fun this was, and it took everything in me, every last bit of restraint, to not burst out laughing. It was pure torture, not being able to be myself in front of my friends, the only people I had left. 

The poor girl met my eyes, silently pleading for help. I sighed, pained, and reminded myself a thousand times why I was doing this. For my future, to destroy the female lead, and to completely remove all obstacles. The suffering would be temporary.

“Annalise, I adore your earrings. Is it that new jeweller’s work?”

My dear best friend, as dim as she was in academics, could catch a social cue like a foxhound. She immediately caught my meaning, shot me a curious glance, and launched into commentary for the new jeweller. I smiled, smug with my success. 

Sophia, on the other hand, did not appear the least appreciative. Her relief showed in her expression, but the look she gave me was of absolute fear. I rolled my eyes, exasperated. 

‘Some people really don’t know how to be grateful.’

In the novel, I had been the one bullying her at her debutante. The female lead stepped in, which caused the prince to notice her. Finally, I understood how irresistible this girl was to bully. It was a good thing I decided to deal with her early on, even if things weren’t going very well. 

To the heroine, new to high society, this shy girl would have been the easiest to approach. With her out of the way, by then, hopefully my reputation and command alone could keep everyone else from her and isolate her. It was crucial I got her out of the way.

“My, isn’t your bracelet from that disgraced jeweller who was selling cheap forgeries, Lady Sophia?”

Another of my friends couldn’t help herself. I forced a smile and answered for my pathetic guest. 

“I’m sure Lady Sophia’s bracelet is fine. Look, Father recently gave me this brooch. It was a gift from a foreign ambassador.”

I couldn’t do this for long, or I might lose control of my urges too. She was a small prey among a room of predators, even more pitiful than the female lead, who at least had her naivety and the male leads to protect her. It wouldn’t be possible for me to keep her in my circle, and nor did I have the slightest desire to. 

I needed to think. Certainly, the author must’ve given her some character traits unrelated to the female lead. The novel was my absolute advantage, and I racked my brain trying to recall. 

I gave up fast.

“What do you want to do when you grow up, Lady Sophia?”

“H-huh?”

I smiled patiently. Unfortunately, the room looked towards her due to the effect my words had on people, causing her to stammer further. She murmured something I couldn’t hear, so I tilted my head, and she spoke in a barely audible voice. 

“I-I-I-I-I want to be a d-d-doctor.”

“How lovely.”

At last, we were getting somewhere. A doctor would be nice in this kingdom that relied on holy power, and it was an advancement I absolutely wanted to push for once I became queen. One couldn’t trust what they didn’t understand, especially something as mysterious as holy power. Though this world was operating well with magic, science was the solid way of progression. Besides, my parents from my past life always told me to make friends with future doctors. 

This sparked a whole new idea. I knew that despite not being regarded as important currently, science could drastically improve the world. I could use that, and create and bring future scientists to my side. 

“Where do you plan to study?”

“I-I don’t k-k-know yet.”

It was likely she couldn’t accomplish her dream, given that the temple’s distaste for science was almost as much as its contempt for magic, and many nobles preferred not to get in the way of that, not to mention Sophia was a mere countess’s daughter. All proper doctors in our kingdom had to study abroad, many often choosing not to return, while those we called healers had limited knowledge and methods. 

Still, with House Avington and the saint’s support, it was a whole different situation. 

“Have you considered Zeryn? It has quite the technology.”

Zeryn was a small nation in the north east of the continent, while Orilon was in the west. It was renowned for being a scholarly place, the most scientifically developed country in this world. They were reclusive, but Father could pull some strings. It might be difficult to send many as I hope to do one day, but it wouldn’t be hard to send one girl. 

“I-it would be a-amazing.”

I grinned. I had no use for Sophia close by, since all I needed was to get her away, but this was two birds with one stone. Shipping her across the world as we knew it was perfect. Regardless of if she was smart enough to learn much, she would be gone, and it would be a first step. 

“I want to have you study there, Lady Sophia, with a full scholarship from House Avington.”

“R-r-r-really?”

Her eyes shone with gratitude, and I knew the rest would be easy to arrange. Nevertheless, traces of terror remained in her features without the slightest hint of affection, but I was fine with that, for my power should be feared and viewed in awe. I didn’t want to be friends with her, but we could be mutually beneficial. 

It was odd. She had been attracted to the female lead instantly because of her bubbly innocence, but was intimidated by my confidence and beauty. Well, I supposed it couldn’t come as a surprise for someone as mild as her. 

“Of course. You’ll make Orilon proud.”

“T-t-t-thank y-y-y-you!”

All the same, another ally taken away from the female lead. Another step towards guaranteed victory.

20