Chapter 54 – The Last Day (III)
501 2 18
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After my physical training, I took a bath. When I began slowly falling asleep, my excellent self discipline forced myself to get out, despite every muscle crying in protest. 

I did some more work, for the wicked shall never rest, especially not the successor to the most corrupt family in the kingdom. Except that was nonsense, because many villains like me had to do what they did in order to rest somewhere better, like on a throne. It was just a matter of time and resilience. 

Besides, work could be fun, like going to a tea party and convincing yourself it was to form important social ties. Or, that it was a break so you could work harder later. Either way, that was exactly what I did. 

“We’re here, my lady!”

I always brought Tia with me to social events. Zoe had work to do, and Tia had grown on me. With new competence as a servant, her presence was less annoying, and even likeable. 

I got off the carriage, which had stopped in front of Annalise’s mansion. I went to our usual sitting room, where my friends were already gathered, as I had arrived fashionably late again. 

“Afternoon, ladies.”

My friends rushed to greet me. I was proud to say I remembered almost all their names, or at least the loyal and important ones that had been with me for a while. I had a large circle to expand my influence, but I only kept around those I liked while rotating through others, keeping myself exclusive to elevate the privilege of my presence. 

“Hello, Valentina!”

“Lady Valentina, how do you always look so beautiful?”

“Nice to see you again, Lady Valentina.”

Nevertheless, my best friends were still Annalise and Delilah. They had both grown to be attractive young women, Annalise fair and Delilah elegant, and each possessed talents. 

“Are you excited for your debutante, Annalise?”

Annalise was the same age as me and would turn eighteen this year, but I had gotten her to push back her debutante to the latest socially acceptable age, this year. Ladies typically debuted the year they turned sixteen, but Catherine would turn seventeen this year, also late. I didn’t do it personally since I wanted to attend balls with my fiance to improve our relationship. 

Part of the attention on Catherine in the novel came from the fact that no other important lady was debuting this year, but the daughter of the marquess would certainly steal some of the spotlight. I was depending on Annalise to manage things at the debutante ceremony.

“Of course! I can’t wait to go to balls and see all the handsome men.”

She tossed her head of orange drills, giggling. Annalise had a haughty and vibrant beauty, loud and splendid, as she was with her affection. She was the best musician of our generation, perhaps even slightly better than me. Though slightly stupid, her unwavering loyalty was clear. 

“They’ll be lining up to dance with you, so you should try all the options before courting one.”

Delilah was the one who spoke. As a future duchess, she had her fair share of admirers, but remained uninvolved in romance. The ordeal with Damian might have had something to do with it, or that no one could meet her standards.

She was incredibly intelligent and cultured, as well as elegant and refined, with loose waves of dark brown hair and deep green eyes. Without doubt, she was the perfect lady and my brother was blind. Yet a part of that was her inscrutable exterior, allowing for the persistent fear of a possible betrayal that I couldn’t quite extinguish. 

“I definitely will, but today is a ladies’ day. Have some tea cakes, and let’s play cards!”

It was a delightful tea party, and our gathering continued long after. We gossiped, with tomorrow’s debutante being the main topic. I assured myself once more of a particular matter. 

“Remind me, is there much talk about that baron’s daughter? What’s her name again?”

Their eyes glinted. There wasn’t anything we liked as much as destroying lives. 

“Catherine, I think it was? There’s some talk, but mostly people are focused on Lady Annalise.”

“It’s the same with me, and the few times I did hear people talk no one seems to like her much. A commoner through and through, and likely an imposter, that’s what they say.”

“Indeed, and everyone pities the poor baroness. She’s rather liked nowadays.”

We smiled at each other, lying to ourselves and pretending it wasn’t me that subtly suggested isolating the girl and inspiring dislike against her in high society. I had been purposefully vague in my instructions and my ladies were all experienced after my careful teaching and knew how to guarantee that there was no way any of this could be traced back to me. In fact, my connections were so widespread people won’t even know where they heard it.

Catherine Bryant would be an utter outcast. If I were lucky, perhaps she would go and kill herself, but I supposed things were never that convenient. 

We played cards the rest of the afternoon, and I enjoyed it very much. The acquaintance of my friends was of greater joy to me than I could have possibly imagined in my past life. I would protect them as well, and they would rise to glory with me, as my true followers. 

“My, look at the time. I must depart, ladies, I’m having dinner with Oscar. I mean, His Highness.”

The marvelling and slightly envious expressions at my casual mention of the crown prince never ceased to satisfy me, and in part made up for the ambiguity of my relationship with him. I departed for the royal castle full of confidence. 

My fiance came out to meet me. As always, he took my breath away. 

The definition of handsome, but in a different direction from my brother. Soft black hair and piercing golden eyes, however cold and distant they may be. Features set perfectly, making me more sure than ever that such beauty could have only been made for me. 

“Good evening.”

I took his offered arm and we headed to a dining room. It was a romantic candle-lit dinner, arranged like I had told the servants to. I made sure we spent time together regularly, hoping to make up for what we lacked in intimacy with companionship. 

“So, how are you?”

“Fine.” 

I forced a smile and stabbed a potato on my plate forcefully. Here we go again. 

“Let us enjoy the food, then.”

The candles burned with fervour we did not exchange openly. We ate silently until I got bored and my natural desire to share my opinions came into effect. 

“The meat is very fine, the texture is just right. I expect no less of the royal chefs. The sweetness of this cake is wonderful too, delicious but not sickening. The potatoes are great…”

I had gotten used to talking by myself. Oscar nodded along, not even glancing up at me. He had promised he would try, and he did on rare occasions. Yet during moments like this, his disinterest couldn’t be any more obvious. 

“If you're done, let’s go on a walk.”

He gave no objection and we stepped out into the royal garden. I breathed in the cool evening air, calming my irritation. I reminded myself that I couldn’t order a prince’s execution in his own castle. Or could I?

The part of the garden we went to was hard to find, but he had shared it with me, and I hung onto this scarce token of affection. It was a hidden treasure, private and tranquil. Crystalline blue flowers grew on the hedges, shining gently under the moonlight. I drank in the beauty and craved more. 

“What do you think of the new tax motion? Father was a bit worried about it.”

“Oh?”

I sighed on the inside. Politics involving our house was the only part of me that seemed to be able to get his attention, but I supposed that was to be expected given the nature of our betrothal. Yet I wasn’t about to spill any secrets, I just wanted him to pursue the topic and talk to me. He didn’t. 

I was genuinely puzzled. Really, how was it humanly possible for anyone to not be infatuated with someone as fantastic as me after almost a decade of knowing we would get married one day? It was unfathomable. 

We passed into a clearing. A large fountain was in the middle, with a statue of the saint, who looked like the angels of my past world, standing at the top and peering benevolently down at us. I pulled on Oscar’s arm, and we stopped for a moment. I turned to him. 

“Hell, don’t you like me?”

I felt I should be allowed some truth after my years of patience. He didn’t show open contempt towards me, which was a great improvement from the novel. Still, I wanted answers. I told myself I didn’t care in particular about his affection, which was mostly true, but either way I needed to know where I stood in order to deal with the female lead. 

He was looking at me, and I stared right back. For once, he smiled, mildly amused and interested, but nonetheless reserved. His eyes glinted, and I ignored the thrill it gave me. 

“Do I really have to confirm that?”

Oscar took my hand in his and lifted his other hand to my face. He caressed my jaw and leaned in, his breath warm on my skin. I gripped his hand, as he kissed my cheek. 

“I like you, Valentina.”

His whisper sent a shiver through me. When he gazed at me like that, I couldn’t deny I fell in love with him just a little. Yet it wouldn’t cloud my judgement, and if anything, it made me more determined to make him mine at the end of the day, his heart and crown. 

I resented him a little, this unreadable prince, my ultimate opponent. I hated this lack of communication typical of a novel’s male lead, his game of hot and cold, an uncontrolled variable on my stage. If I wanted to win, I needed to detach myself emotionally and think rationally, until it was safe. So I smiled, and intertwined our fingers. 

“Good. I like you too.”

What a fool I was to think the male lead could love anyone other than the female lead, but there I was, arrogant enough to defy fate and believing that I could succeed. There would be no turning back. 

I had people I cared about, though none more than myself. With careful steps, to remove whatever obstacles necessary, I would change the story. I could sacrifice what was needed, but in the end I would have my throne. My family, my friends, my power, my happiness. 

If my old parents could see me now, would they be proud? After all, they had taught me to persist unto near insanity and then some more. To endure, to wait for an opportunity, and to be ruthless. 

Tomorrow, everything would change. 

18