Chapter 69 – True Saint (I)
469 1 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

- - -

Nathaniel Seaton was alive because of the kindness of others. Thus, he lived his life repaying society with compassion. He believed in caring, the goodness of people, and the idea of God, though he did frequently wonder why he would allow such suffering.

No, if there were any sin about him, it was merely how blasphemously honest he was. Those in need always came first, and time was most efficiently spent with righteous truth. However, symbolism gave hope, and Nathaniel knew how important it was to those without anything else. Besides, behind a practical and intelligent mind, lay a ruthlessly naive conviction for justice that made religious fanaticism pale in comparison. 

“Good morning, Layla. How is your mother?”

Alas, most times, and to most people, he was gentle and sympathetic, as it was his nature. Respectful and considerate to the servants, because he couldn’t understand like the aristocrats why they shouldn’t be equals. Everyone deserved basic decency. 

Layla, the maid assigned to him, smiled. She was a warm and strong woman, caring for an ill mother and three young children all by herself. Nathaniel knew everything about them and held their mother in high regard, after nearly a decade of companionship from when he first stepped foot in House Avington. 

“The priest says she’s getting better, sir. Thank you very much for your help, I don’t know what I would’ve done without it, sir.”

“You’re very welcome. Please don’t hesitate to ask if you need anything else.”

“Thank you very much, sir. You’re too good to us, but I don’t think we’ll need more for now, and I know there’s people that need it more. You’re going out today as usual, sir?”

Nathaniel sighed and glanced at the small bag of coins laying on the table. A ridiculously extravagant allowance that meant nothing to nobles but could change lives if used correctly. 

“I would like to, but I don’t know. Security has been tightening.”

“Oh, don’t worry about that, sir! I’ll distract the guards for you, it’s the least I could do.”

“Really? That’s wonderful, Layla, thank you so much.”

He beamed as Layla handed him his cloak. She went out of his room and began talking to the knights standing outside. 

“Good morning, sirs! Could you come with me and help…”

A few words and some laughter later, footsteps sounded, fading away. Smiling, Nathaniel slipped out. 

Though House Avington’s defense system was barely short of paranoid, after many years, Nathaniel had figured out a safe route. He went into the chapel’s library, and by memory following the instructions from a book he’d stumbled upon, he pushed and pulled certain books until a shelf swung open, revealing a secret passage. 

Nathaniel carefully closed the shelf as he stepped inside. It was a long way, but he was familiar with the darkness. Finally, he hit something hard, and pushed the latch open. He came up behind stacks of crates in an alleyway, in a poor district of the capital too unimportant for any Avington spies to grace. Ah, the smell of freedom and stinking rodents. 

He made his way around the block, where a boy not much older than him waited with his horse and cart. Nathaniel smiled. 

“Hello, Paul. How are you?”

“Very bored. Come on, you’re late. I thought you mightn’t be coming! The lady give you any trouble?”

Paul only knew him to be employed under a wealthy lady who did not approve of him going out. Nathaniel had decided against revealing the name of his employer, for it had a rather unpleasant effect on people. 

“Not particularly, only a few extra guards. But I’m sorry for making you wait.”

“Don’t worry. You tip too much for it.”

Having a friendly conversation, they drove to the bakery nearby. A middle aged woman was already standing outside, shouting orders to boys running around. She glanced at them and grinned. 

“Well, if it isn’t Mister Seaton! I knew you wouldn’t have let everything I prepared just for you go to waste. In this economy, you’re the best thing that’s ever happened to this poor woman’s business! I’ll have the boys load the usual. Boys!”

“Thank you, Mrs Hamming. How’s your back, by the way?”

“A lot better, after your blessing last time. You priests are really too good!”

Nathaniel wished he could agree more as he thought about the luxurious tastes of the temple and glanced at the old and patched clothes of Mrs Hamming’s boys. He handed her the bag of coins with a sad smile, wishing he could do more. 

The boys loaded the cart full of bread and food. After bidding farewell to Mrs Hamming, Nathaniel and Paul drove away towards the worst parts of the city. Houses crowded together, many on the verge of collapsing. Families sat on streets, huddled together. In the depressing depth of the slums, Nathaniel’s heart grew heavy, as always. 

“Mama, look! It’s the priest man!”

“Oh, thank God…”

“I don’t know what we would do without you, Priest Seaton.”

People lined up and Paul helped Nathaniel distribute the food. The priest felt happy with the smiling faces of families, the children wolfing food down, and the expressions of hope, living another day. He gave blessings to the ill and felt his divine power flow and heal, slowly but surely. Even if it was just for a day, the people of the slums were more cheerful. 

If only he could help everyone…

“Did you hear about the other lady, Nathaniel?”

Nathaniel snapped out of his thoughts and glanced at Paul curiously. They stood leaning by the cart, all the food handed out, watching the peaceful scene as people ate and chatted. 

“Hm? What are you talking about?”

“Some noble lady. Comes around often, starting from a few weeks ago. Hasn’t been a month yet, or I’d have told you last time you came. Helps around, and it’s great, but I don’t know how long it’ll last. They get bored or disgusted sooner or later. See, there she is now!”

Nathaniel looked up. A carriage, grand, obviously from the aristocracy, and completely out of place, was arriving, followed by a few carts filled with food, clothes, and other supplies. The people seemed wary at first, as they were towards the rich, but their need was stronger than their reluctance, and so they gradually approached the carts. They stopped when the carriage door swung open and a lady stepped out. 

For a moment, Nathaniel thought he saw an angel. She had a head of golden hair, like a halo, and bright green eyes, large and innocent. Wearing a pale pink dress and a sweet smile, she was the picture of purity. Even more, he felt an odd sentiment that she was strangely familiar. 

“Ah, hello! Please take whatever you need! If there’s anything specific you want, tell me and I’ll bring it next time!”

She was not offensively gorgeous like another lady Nathaniel unfortunately knew, but she had a warm and childish charm. It was not perhaps as effective as the bewitching appeal of the other lady, but the people around her did relax slightly. She may not be a saint from another world here to save them, but the way she held herself made it feel like she was closer and more connected to them. It was the composure of a commoner, Nathaniel realized, not a noble. 

The lady had a few men with her who helped her hand out the supplies. As they settled into a steady pace, Nathaniel’s curiosity overtook him, and he went up to her as she finished giving new clothes to a pair of siblings. 

“Good day, Your Ladyship. I’m Priest Nathaniel Seaton.”

“Oh, nice to meet you! I’m Lady Catherine Bryant.”

Nathaniel scoured his mind. He knew the name from the little high society gossip that occasionally drifted from the servants, but he couldn’t think of how he possibly knew her. Maybe he was imagining it? The idea didn’t satisfy him, so he decided to learn more about her first. 

“Please excuse my rudeness in asking, but may I inquire why you are here? It’s an uncommon place for a noble lady to visit.”

“To help people, like you are! I’ve only recently joined society, so to be honest, I feel closer to a commoner than a noble. I was raised as one, you see, so I know what it’s like, and it doesn’t seem fair that now I get all of this just because of my birth.”

Nathaniel’s eyes twinkled. It was a good fairytale, and he believed from her genuine expression that she did care, though he didn’t know how long it might last before the pampering made her forget. Still, he felt that she was a good person, with good intentions. The world could use more people like her. 

That sunny smile. Where had he seen it before? All of a sudden, the realization struck him, but it couldn’t be right. So many years ago, that girl had brown hair and brown eyes, and yet the smile was the same…

“I think that’s very kind of Your Ladyship. By the way, have we met before? You remind me of a friend I had about nine years ago at an orphanage, but she left and I never saw her again. Her name was ‘Rin’.”

Lady Catherine’s smile froze, and panic briefly flashed across her face, before her eyes widened. 

“Nath?”

Then she covered her mouth, horrified at her own acknowledgement. She hurriedly glanced around, and making sure no one heard, turned back to Nathaniel, who stared at her in amazement. 

“Rin? It’s really you? What happened? Why are you blonde? And why-?”

“I’m so sorry, but I can’t go into details. As you know, a man adopted me, and many things happened, but I don’t know how much I can tell you. All I can say is I’m really, really happy to see you again!”

Nathaniel wasn’t sure his emotions were that intense at the reunion, though he was glad to see an old friend. However, he had been a small child, and the best friend of two years that left him suddenly had long faded into an old dream not much thought of. Now the memories rushed back, filling him with nostalgia for the days when things were simpler. 

“It’s fine. It’s nice enough to see you again.”

Rin-no, Lady Catherine beamed. Nathaniel felt a surge of warmth and smiled. He’d forgotten how she had that effect on people. 

“Thank you. Please, I’ll send word if I’m allowed to tell you, and I very much hope I can, because I want to talk about everything. Where can I find you?”

“About that-”

Nathaniel was contemplating how he would reveal that he’d basically sold his soul to the devil when the devil’s minions arrived. He paled as the carriage with the crest of House Avington pulled into the street and stopped in front of him. 

A knight stepped off, followed by several more. Sir Lovell, who normally never left his master’s side, came to him with an air of arrogance so resembling hers. 

“Good day, Priest Seaton. Lady Valentina would like me to escort you back.”

Lady Catherine tilted her head. 

“Oh! Priest Seaton is acquainted with Lady Valentina?”

Before Nathaniel could explain himself, Sir Lovell spoke for him. 

“Priest Seaton is sponsored by Her Ladyship. She granted him the honour of being the priest of House Avington and to assist her in her pursuits as the saint. Good day, Your Ladyship.”

To Nathaniel’s surprise, Lady Catherine didn’t appear revolted but instead even in awe, and then he remembered how good of an actor she was. Perhaps it was better Lady Catherine didn’t know, and it would definitely be better for him to obey his employer. Nathaniel sighed. 

“Of course, Sir Lovell. Goodbye, Lady Catherine. I hope we see each other again soon.”

She smiled at him as he boarded the carriage, like how he had smiled at her through tears when she’d left with the man who claimed to be her uncle so many years ago. The carriage door closed like the gate of a cage. 

On the ride home, Nathaniel felt like a prisoner returning to captivity, after a brief freedom that would likely never be allowed again. His heart sank as they entered the Avington mansion, and Sir Lovell opened the door to let him out back into his sad little chapel where he couldn’t help anyone. 

Nathaniel froze as he felt the lack of a presence. He turned to the knight. 

“Where’s Layla?”

“She was given fifty lashes and fired. Your guards are also being chastised.”

“You can’t! She has a family and-”

“You can bring your complaints to Lady Valentina. I am to remind you about the charity luncheon you are to attend with her in four days.”

Sir Lovell turned and left without another word. Nathaniel leaned on the wall and bit his lip. How could he have been so stupid? Hadn’t he come to accept what he’d gotten himself into?

Title or not, blessed or not, chosen by God or not, Lady Valentina Avington was no saint.

12