Chapter 73 – The Prince’s Banquet (I)
357 1 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Royal birthdays were always grand affairs. April slipped into May, and to celebrate the crown prince turning nineteen, a banquet was being held. 

In the novel, Catherine talked and grew closer with Damian during the feast, arousing jealousy in the prince that he couldn’t understand, which set him up to try and approach her in the next event, the hunting competition. What better way to prevent this all than to make sure she didn’t attend?

Lady Bryant had been more than willing to carry out my request. 

“Of course, a creature as lowly as she oughtn’t have been invited in the first place. Rest assured, Lady Valentina. Even if I have to keep the whole family home, she won’t be allowed to go and embarrass us! I certainly won’t be seen with her in public!”

Knowing how much my friend valued our relationship and her reputation, I trusted that the matter would be settled. Thus, I went to the banquet prepared to thoroughly enjoy myself with my fiance and excellent food.

At the castle, I separated from Mother and Father as I was going to sit at the head table with the royal family, given my position as Oscar’s fiancee. A maid brought me to a sitting room, where my future in-laws were already waiting. 

“Good evening, Lady Valentina.”

“Oh, who invited this bitch?”

“Watch your language, Elizabeth. I apologize, Lady Valentina, that my daughter is so direct with her thoughts.”

“Lady Valentina, it’s nice to see you.”

Oscar was cool and reserved, Elizabeth was a disgrace to society, Queen Josephine was slyly venomous, and King Henry’s shrewd intellect glinted behind an amiable expression. In short, all was as usual. I shone with my brightest smile and greeted the only people in the kingdom more powerful than me, thinking of the day I would take their place. 

Elizabeth monopolized Oscar, telling him all about her latest horrific acts and growling whenever she glanced at me, obviously intent on keeping us apart. I took the opportunity to have a pleasant conversation with King Henry about the latest developments in the agriculture industry, showing off my intelligence and what a great queen I would be. Soon, we were informed the guests had finished arriving, and went to make our dramatic entrance in the great hall. 

“His Highness, Prince Oscar! His Majesty, King Henry! Her Majesty, Queen Josephine! Her Highness, Princess Elizabeth! Her Ladyship, Lady Valentina Avington!”

Even if it weren’t as huge as last year’s festival, when the crown prince came of age, it was still easily one of the most significant events of the year, and every important member of high society was there. They sat around two long tables and as we entered, they all stood and bowed or curtsied. I felt a rush of thrill as we passed the humbly lowered faces on our way to the head table at the front. 

My fiance, as the guest of honour, sat in the middle. The king sat to his right and the queen to his left. Elizabeth was on the other side of the king, leaving me next to my future mother-in-law. We exchanged demure smiles as everyone sat down, silently agreeing to save the battle until after the speeches. 

Oscar stood. He really looked very handsome, and I swelled in pride and other odd feelings better left unnamed until I was sure they were reciprocated. 

“I want to thank you all for attending this celebration today. In the period recently passed, my nineteenth year and first season of adulthood, I’ve been constantly learning in my hopes to one day become a suitable king for our glorious nation. It was an enlightening time, and I believe I have matured as a person and a leader. Thank you for allowing me this journey.”

He paused and glanced over the room, as if he was searching for someone. It was barely noticeable, but after spending years with him, I could tell. Though I knew Catherine wasn’t there, my heart still skipped a beat. Much to my relief, he continued. 

“Please, a toast to another prosperous year, for the fortune of the kingdom is what shall bring joy to us all.”

A round of applause sounded, and we stood and drank. While everyone else sat back down, the king rose to make his speech. 

“It is to my immense pride and delight to see my son turn nineteen. He has grown into a brilliant and competent young man, and I’m certain that one day, Orilon will be safe in his capable hands. I trust his abilities and decisions as much as I value my own. That is why I propose a toast to Prince Oscar, the future of this country!”

King Henry’s spirited force of character drove even louder applause. A nation was inspired, and many glasses were drained. 

Unlike last year, nineteen wasn’t important enough to warrant speeches from everyone. I sadly couldn’t flaunt how devoted we were to each other, but on the bright side, the feast began readily. I enjoyed the food immensely, fully appreciating the royal cooks. 

My family sat at the front of one of the tables, very near us. I made eye contact with Damian a few times and shared smiles, but his piercing gaze and twisted grin unsettled me. Luckily, Father and Mother occupied his attention, and he seemed almost normal with them. 

“It’s a wonderful banquet. Don’t you agree, Lady Valentina?”

Queen Josephine had always been a formidable opponent, and her words alerted me. I chose the strategy of initial politeness and adaptation according to circumstances, defensive on her home field. 

“Indeed. I simply adore this cheese.”

“I’m glad. One must treasure what one has, for it mayn’t last forever.”

It sounded too specific to just be an innocent remark. Was she trying to hint that my position as the crown prince’s fiance wasn’t as secure as I thought it was? A bluff, or something more? Either way, I must fight back. 

“I absolutely agree. I cherish dearly the moments I spend with my family, knowing soon I won’t be able to see them everyday.”

“Oh? What do you mean?”

“Why, after my marriage with His Highness, I’ll be living at the castle, of course.”

Ah, but she was too good to show any visible reaction. She carried on without hesitation. 

“I’m not sure you’ll be married quite so quickly. After all, you are both rather young. You’re not of age yet, yes?”

“Only for two more months. We are going to get engaged as soon as I am.”

“I don’t think that’s wise, dear. As you remind me, you’re merely betrothed at present…”

I smiled, knowing it was going to be a long night, and that I was going to thoroughly enjoy our battle. 

- - -

The evening of the banquet, Catherine was disheartened. After losing the dagger last time, what if she failed again? Oh, what would Uncle think? He hadn’t said anything about the dagger, but she wasn’t sure if he even knew about it. And what about Father? The shocked and horrified expression he’d worn when she told him was burned into her memory, weighing on her and threatening to crush her at any moment.

She sighed and pushed it all out of her mind to put on a genuine smile, before she went into the sitting room where Father waited. He was pacing anxiously and smiled wearily when he saw her. 

“You look splendid, Catherine. Have you seen your mother? She never takes this long.”

After the initial confusion, it took Catherine a second to realize he was referring to Lady Bryant. Just as she shook her head, the woman strode in with a displeased countenance. Her voice was sharp as she addressed Father. 

“Surely you’re not still thinking of going to the banquet?”

“Why not, Isabel? What’s wrong?”

“Briana’s ill!”

Father sighed and rubbed his temples. Lady Bryant seemed absolutely indignant. 

“Again? Should we call a physician?”

“No, it’s not that serious, and you know how she hates them.”

“Then why can’t we go to the banquet?”

“You can, if you want your own flesh and blood to cry herself to sleep knowing what a heartless father she has, who drinks and feasts while she suffers! I won’t have it, no!”

“Love, you know I can’t do anything. It’s not as if this hasn’t happened before, and when I had to go to meetings, you were fine with it, remember?”

“That’s different. You had to, for our family, and for her. What’s more important, this banquet or your one and only daughter?!”

Catherine winced and shifted uncomfortably. Before she could hide in a corner, the child being discussed swaggered in, holding a stuffed bear and a blanket that trailed on the floor. All attention was immediately drawn to her. 

“I want that one!”

A stubby little finger was pointed straight at Catherine, like she was a toy on a shelf. Catherine stiffened, for Father’s voice was suddenly very gentle. 

“Bri, sweet, what about your nannies? If you’re not feeling well-”

“Nooooooo! I want that one to read me a story!”

“Surely your mother-”

“Wahhhhhhh! Daddy is so mean!”

Lady Briana burst into tears and her mother hurried to her side, hugging and patting her head soothingly. She glared at Catherine. 

“You’re not deaf, are you? Go, you heard what she said!”

“Now wait a minute! Catherine is going to the banquet, not acting as a nursemaid!”

Father’s protest was met with another round of wailing and Lady Bryant’s fury. 

“Must you be so selfish?! The girl’s fine with it, isn’t she?”

The couple’s gazes were directed straight to Catherine. She gulped, wishing she could disappear. She gave a feeble plea before Father could retort. 

“Maybe it’s best if I go with Lady Briana for now…”

With an exasperated nod from Father, Catherine escaped the room, led by the little girl who stopped sobbing the instant they were out. As they walked away, she ignored her completely, and in the quiet they could hear the yells of the baron and his wife fade with distance. Catherine felt terribly guilty that they were fighting because of her and resolved to take good care of Lady Briana. 

When they got to Lady Briana’s room, the child wore a triumphant smile, though it turned to a disdainful glower when she faced Catherine. She crawled into her bed, took a book from her nightstand, and threw it at Catherine, though it missed and fell to the ground. 

“Pick it up. I hope you know how to read.”

Catherine assured her that she did. She pulled up a chair next to Lady Briana’s bed as she obliged and read with her best narration. It was the fairytale about the girl whose parents died, so she had to live with her evil stepmother and stepsisters, until she went to a ball and married a prince. If Lady Briana enjoyed it, it was not indicated by any changes in her pout. 

When she finished reading, Lady Briana was half asleep, but awake enough to drowsily judge her performance. 

“You read badly. Not pretty, like Lady Valentina. Even I’m better!”

“I’m really sorry. Should I leave so you can sleep?”

“No! You don’t go until I say you can!”

They sat in silence for a while. Just as Lady Briana was finally about to drift off, she mumbled to Catherine. 

“You know, you’re not my sister.”

Catherine nodded, though nevertheless her heart sank. She knew all too well that there was no place for her in this family.

13