Chapter 77 – Our Retaliation (II)
340 3 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

- - -

Catherine sat puzzled, not exactly sure what had just happened or if it were good. In any case, she resolved to remember as much as she could to report to Father. Meanwhile, the conversation shifted through magazines she was unfamiliar with, since Uncle never bought any back at the bookstore. She tried to join in whenever possible, but was often met with horrified gazes at her lack of knowledge, so she took a break to focus on the food. 

She enjoyed herself. The chatter was pleasant and the refreshments were heavenly. Lady Valentina was amazing in her manners as usual, and Catherine thought she was learning just by watching. She was so glad she came!

The conversation moved to music, and Catherine did her best to listen. Luckily, she understood most of it, in theory. 

“My, that’s a beautiful piano you have, Your Grace.”

“Thank you. It was a gift from the royal family, custom made in Isvoria, for my birthday a few years ago.”

Catherine turned slightly and stared at the instrument situated majestically in the corner of the room in awe. It was pure white and absolutely magnificent. An innocently curious question burst out of her. 

“It’s so lovely! Does Your Grace play?”

She was met with a startled silence followed by a quiet and nervous round of laughter. Lady Avington smiled daintily, almost like a fairy. 

“I do, Lady Catherine. Indeed, I used to be the head of court musicians.”

“Really? That’s amazing!”

Catherine’s eyes widened in admiration. To be able to play for all of high society sounded incredible, and an entire world away from Catherine, who kept forgetting the keys. How could she remember them when they all looked so similar?

“Do you play too, Lady Valentina?”

“Yes. Mother has been teaching me since I was old enough to sit on a piano stool.”

Her beautiful smile was received with a bout of approval. As Catherine was being thoroughly impressed with the ladies of House Avington, one of the guests addressed her. 

“What about yourself, Lady Catherine? Do you play the pianoforte?”

“Ah, I’m taking lessons, but I’m no good yet.”

“Surely you’re being humble. Won’t you play for us?”

Catherine blinked and a warning bell sounded in her head. Father had specifically warned her that under no circumstances should she play an instrument today, lest she embarrass herself and their house with her complete lack of skills in comparison to what must’ve been the pinnacle of musicians. She swallowed, as she hadn’t expected to actually need Father’s warnings. 

“I’m sorry, I really can't!”

“Please, don’t be so modest.”

To Catherine’s terror, other ladies joined in as well. 

“I heard the baron even hired tutors from the Royal Institute of Music. We’re all so very curious, Lady Catherine!”

“We’re among friends, so there’s no need to be shy.”

“Well, Lady Catherine? Are you going to let us go home disappointed?”

Catherine looked pleadingly to the ladies, but she discovered no pity. She found Lady Valentina, who gazed at her encouragingly. Catherine gulped, but the idea of showing the guests how bad she was and letting her friend down made her even more resolved not to play. 

“I-I’m sorry… b-but, um, I don’t even know any songs…”

The ladies were about to close in again, but Grand Duchess Avington, her gracious saviour, cut in. 

“Now, ladies, we mustn’t pressure Lady Catherine. Don’t you agree, Valentina?”

“Of course. Actually, if you’ll kindly spare her, madames, I shall play any song you wish right this instant.”

At Lady Valentina’s confident smile, all the guests’ attention was directed to her. Catherine slumped in her chair with relief but quickly sat up again, reminding herself to have good posture. She gazed at Lady Valentina gratefully, thanking God for a friend like her. 

A song was decided by the ladies, a supposedly famously difficult ballad, and with self-assured sophistication Lady Valentina sat down before the piano. Her long and elegant fingers touched keys, and the world faded away. 

Catherine gasped. It was almost as if she could see the scene before her, a beautiful fairytale exquisitely woven, coming to life through the melody. A surreal and magical world was born from those dancing hands, and when it was over, it took a second for Catherine to return. When she did, along with the rest of the guests, thunderous applause exploded. 

“That’s absolutely amazing, Lady Valentina!”

- - -

Catherine’s eyes were filled with adoration, and the other ladies were much the same as I concluded the performance with a stunning smile and a graceful curtsy. I’d outdone myself again, not that anyone knew I’d practiced all the songs most likely to be their choice based on Mother’s estimations of the tastes of middle-aged women. Well, my efforts were not in vain. 

“Oh, you all flatter me too much!”

I glanced at Catherine, wondering if that silly fool knew how she’d fallen right into that trap. Really, accidentally touching on Mother’s commoner past like that, a topic not exceptionally sensitive but usually avoided, practically signed her death warrant as it made the other noble ladies act almost in self defense for Mother, against a girl they almost certainly viewed as a commoner. 

Fortunately for her, Mother and I had decided beforehand the musical act today would be more about placing her in our debt than ruining her, as to not push our luck when the affair hadn’t started in our favour, and to complete the last part of the plan. It definitely worked, given how Catherine’s gaze was filled with blind appreciation. 

With our principal purposes achieved, the tea party soon drew to a close. We escorted our guests to the front doors, and I took the chance to chat with Catherine. 

“Did you enjoy the tea party today, Lady Catherine?”

“Oh, yes! Lady Valentina, you were so wonderful!”

“Thank you. If you ever need help with piano, you should come to me.”

“That’s so sweet of you! Thank you so much!”

Catherine beamed, every bit the bright heroine, but bright heroines didn’t steal their ‘friend’s’ fiance. I approached the subject gently, lowering my voice to raise the intimacy. 

“You’re very welcome. You know, don’t you, Lady Catherine, that I consider you a truly precious friend?”

The girl blushed slightly, obviously ridiculously pleased. 

“You’re very important to me too, Lady Valentina.”

“I’m glad. I know how things aren’t what they seem on the surface, but I must confess I’ve been most distressed by the rumours. It would be the greatest charity to me, Lady Catherine, if you could please tell me why my fiance visited you.”

In my appeal, I infused such sadness, desperation, and misery that it would’ve melted the coldest of creatures, with the irritating exception of the only one that actually mattered. However, I thought it would unquestionably work on the naturally warmhearted female lead, so I waited patiently. 

Surely enough, in a very small voice and sounding awfully guilty, Catherine answered. 

“He said he wanted to see me. That’s all.”

My chest tightened. Discreetly, I glanced at Catherine, but I didn’t need to as she avoided my gaze. Either I’d failed in getting close to her and against her nature, she was lying, or she was telling the truth and the man I’d spent the last nine years betrothed to had been willing to disregard all potential rumours to see a lady who wasn’t me in the middle of the night. I wasn’t sure which was worse. With the appropriate gratitude, I spoke softly. 

“Thank you, Lady Catherine. Good day.”

As she boarded her carriage, she turned her head and dared to shoot me an abashed but almost pitying glance. I gave her a gentle smile to show that her revelation had not touched me in the slightest, ignoring the rage boiling inside me. Mother came next to me and together we watched the carriages drive away as the smile slipped off of my face. 

“You did fantastic, darling, but are you all right?”

“Yes, of course. She merely said he wanted to see her.”

Mother was silent for a moment. Then, she wrapped an arm around me and pulled me closer. Nowadays I was basically the same height as her, but nevertheless I leaned on her and rested my head on her shoulder, for reassurance and comfort, if nothing else. I hadn’t slept well recently, so I was rather tired. 

“If it were any other, I would say he isn’t worthy of you. But keep your eyes on the goal, darling. I have complete faith that after your marriage, given time, he’ll be helplessly in love with you, and that crown will rest safely on your head. You’re my daughter, after all.”

“I know, Mother. It’s fine.”

I smiled a little, consoled by the way Mother never ceased to make us sound invincible and my worries all so far away. Firmly, I told myself that none of it mattered. Even if Oscar wanted to break off our betrothal right now, assuming he truly lost all sense, the royal family and the temple would likely object to destroying such a valuable bond. This did not threaten me, so there was no need to dwell on it. 

By night, Tia had already heard the fresh gossip from the servants’ chain of information. After Zoe finished with her report on the turnout of my newest investments, which were more than satisfactory, Tia was eager to update me on what ladies were telling their maids or what maids found out their ladies were telling other ladies. I must say, she was excellent at collecting gossip, perhaps even better than Zoe, with natural social skills instead of efficient practicality. 

“My lady, the other ladies don’t know what to think! Stories are popping up all over the place, and some are even saying that Sawyer man used magic to possess His Highness to make him go! The romantic-um, the original assumption is dying down a lot.”

Tia flushed a bit, but I laughed. After all these years, with Zoe’s extensive training which unexpectedly and amusingly resulted in genuine attachment in her usually blank gaze for the girl, Tia had become a competent underling for the villainess. One of the first victories I’d taken from Catherine, before I even knew her and she was just known as the female lead in my head. 

Possibly overly indulging myself with this small triumph, I thought back to all the things I’d successfully snatched away from Catherine. Her maid, her eventual familial bond with her stepmother and stepsister, the diamond mine she would have discovered, her sainthood, her childhood friend, and maybe the other two male leads too. Yes, things were certainly different from the novel. 

Undoubtedly, I had an advantage at present. As long as I kept a clear head, this one small setback was nothing. Ignoring the slight chill in my heart, I reminded myself that my target was the crown, not the crown prince. And I would have the crown.

10