Chapter 79 – Hunting Competition (II)
287 0 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

We had tea brought to us outside and more of our friends joined us. It was great fun, and as the afternoon waned, we started heading back. I halted as I glimpsed someone I knew and had been waiting for an opportunity to approach. 

“You ladies go ahead without me. I’ll see you after dinner for cards?”

“All right. See you later.”

Annalise and Delilah herded the ladies to not focus on my absence. I nodded to Zoe, who I’d brought with me to the competition because of its greater importance than the average social affair, and she departed at once on the mission I had informed her of beforehand. The gentleman I targeted had noticed my advance and stopped politely while I strode towards him, purposefully slow to buy time for Zoe. 

“Good evening, Lord Kyle. How are you?”

“Good, thank you, Lady Valentina. It’s very lively here, as usual!”

I agreed and successfully made small talk with my brother’s best friend, until in the corner of my eye I saw Zoe return. A safe distance away so as to not be detected by Kyle, she gave a firm nod before she turned and took off. I smiled. 

“Shall we take a walk, Lord Kyle?”

He assented, and we followed Zoe at an unsuspicious gap just close enough to see where she was leading us through the small clusters of people around the palace. A certain female lead and her parents soon came into sight. Zoe shifted to make brief eye contact with me, and after receiving my affirming gaze, she left to inconspicuously rejoin us later. 

“Look, Lord Kyle, it’s Lady Catherine. Let us go greet her and her family.”

Giving him no time to protest, though I was fairly sure he wouldn’t have, I walked up to the members of House Bryant. 

“Lady Bryant and Lady Catherine! How wonderful to see you!”

“Good afternoon, Lady Valentina. It’s excellent to see you as well.”

“Hello, Lady Valentina!”

Catherine’s bubbliness was only mildly subdued by our last encounter, and my cheerful countenance gave her the audacity to brighten back to her usual self. My attention moved to the man with them, about forty-five years of age and of average height and appearance. Ah, so this was Baron Bryant. 

I couldn’t say I’d never met him before. In fact, I’d met countless men like him, which was part of the problem. Before the beginning of the novel, often when I visited Lady Bryant, we’d see each other and exchange polite greetings. With brown hair, green eyes, a plump figure, and nothing remarkable, he’d faded into the background, and I’d paid no special attention to him. After all, it’d be too risky and quite rude of a guest to try to murder her host’s husband in their own house. 

Back then, I’d thought he was merely smarter than appeared and a good father that wanted to protect his daughter. Clearly, with Catherine’s current mental state and the advances towards my fiance, it was not so. I studied him with new interest and a courteous smile, noticing for the first time a glint in his eyes, faint but dangerously ambitious. 

“It’s been a while, Baron Bryant. How are you doing?”

“I’m great. Thank you, Lady Valentina, for asking, but more for being such a dear friend to my Catherine. Like my wife, she speaks most highly of you.”

“Truly? I’m very glad.”

Did he know that I knew he was trying to destroy my relationship? For the first time, I was aware of how hard he was to read. This was the real opponent I was up again, the puppet master holding Catherine’s strings. If I could eliminate him directly, I could spare the poor girl, but alas, it would be far more difficult, and I simply didn’t want to risk myself. Presently, I’d remind him who he was dealing with, to give him a warning and a way out before it was too late. 

“Lord Kyle, are you acquainted with Baron and Baroness Bryant?”

“No, I don’t believe we’ve been introduced.”

“Ah, Catherine mentioned you. It’s very nice to meet you.”

The baron shook his hand heartily, every bit the good-natured country peer. I introduced them and wasted no time coming to the point. 

“I do think I’ve promised you, Lady Bryant, to help arrange a suitable match for Lady Catherine. Lord Kyle here is from a most respectable family, possesses exceptional character, and is extremely academically extinguished. I should say that he is one of the most appealing unengaged gentlemen at the moment!”

I emphasized ‘unengaged’, reminding Catherine’s conscience that my fiance was indeed engaged to me. She shifted uncomfortably and her cheeks reddened as I stared her in the eye, then her father. He remained perfectly composed and chuckled. 

“Thank you very much for your kindness, Lady Valentina, but Catherine only just returned to me. I have no intention of letting her go quite so soon.”

“But dear, it needn’t be too soon. I think it’s certainly an idea worth considering, especially since Lady Valentina was so kind as to think of us.”

Lady Bryant clutched her husband’s arm sweetly. I smiled and took my chance. 

“I personally believe a long period of engagement builds a very strong bond, like between me and His Highness. What do you think, Lady Catherine? Isn’t Lord Kyle very handsome?”

Catherine opened her mouth, blushing, but no words came out. Kyle, slightly flushed, hurriedly swooped to the rescue, his voice graciously lighthearted but containing hurt from my betrayal. 

“Now, Lady Valentina, you know I’m not interested in marriage. I’m practically married to my work!”

“Yes, and that’s a problem, no? There could be no greater pleasure to me than to bring together two dear friends of mine for a joyful union. As you know, my brother cares very deeply for you, and he wants you to be happy too. Lady Catherine is lovely, is she not?”

For some reason, sadness was mingled in Kyle’s embarrassment at the mention of Damian. He smiled politely.

“All ladies are lovely to me. Really, it’s getting late, and I think we should let Lady Catherine rest after her carriage journey.”

“Oh, but Lord Kyle, surely you won’t object to a tea party sometimes? I think it’d be truly wonderful just for you and Catherine to get to know each other better.”

Lady Bryant’s eyes gleamed. Awkwardly, Kyle agreed, and the woman seized the opportunity to engage him in conversation, not letting him leave. I couldn’t be more proud of my pupil. 

As I prepared to discreetly make my exit, I met the baron’s eyes. They twinkled, almost amused. My blood boiled, but I smiled sweetly. One day, I’d make him regret being born. I said my farewells and glided away, pleased with the day’s work. 

If I was fortunate, the arrangement would really be for the best, though I didn’t dare hope. Damian cared enough about his friend and his relationship with Catherine was in an early enough stage that he would likely give her up and not develop an obsession if she got together with Kyle. Alas, I knew I wasn’t going to be that lucky. 

After dinner, I wanted some air before going to play cards, so I went for a walk. I stopped on top of a small hill, different from the one we’d occupied for the afternoon, and perhaps even more stunning as the sun set, painting the sky shades of orange and pink over vivid green trees and a sparkling blue lake. It wasn’t too hot, and a pleasant breeze lifted my hair. I sighed contentedly, enjoying the moment. 

“Oh, I almost forgot.”

I turned to Mikhail. I never specifically mentioned his presence before, but as my personal knight, he went with me everywhere, always protecting and attending to me, along with Tia or Zoe. He guarded from the sides of ballrooms, near my table at tea parties, and followed me wherever I went. I didn’t think about it because it was so natural that he was practically a part of me. Thus was the duty of a lady’s knight, to live only for his master. 

“Yes, my lady?”

“I made this for you.”

I took out a handkerchief and gave it to him. It wasn’t really properly done as I’d embroidered it on a whim, after a bout of inspiration from playing piano, but I was fairly satisfied with it. It didn’t have the fancy edges nor the initials like I’d done for Damian and Oscar, only a simple but handsome white horse, standing up on its hind legs. It reminded me of him, I supposed, because knights rode on white horses. Not exactly original. 

“Thank you very much, my lady.”

He took it with a childishly proud smile, and I once again appreciated what a striking knight I had. Here was someone, I thought, who was loyal to me. Here was someone who knew me and revered me, who I never had to doubt or question. Here was my devoted knight, and not my painfully cold fiance. All the difference that made!

The following morning was the official opening ceremony of the hunting competition. All the guests gathered in the great hall of the palace, an impressive sight of splendor and prestige. Rows of extravagant chairs faced the altar at the front with a luxurious carpet down the middle. The air buzzed with excitement and eager chatter, but every sound died away and was replaced with silent awe as the procession began. 

“All hail the Royal House of Stoneshire!”

First entered the royal knights, in imposing ceremonial uniforms. The king and queen came next, side by side and thoroughly majestic. My fiance followed, dashing as usual and bearing the ritual’s torch. Princess Elizabeth came behind him, glowering in the magnificent dress she’d no doubt been forced into. After her were four ladies carrying a red cushion together with a velvet cover hiding the object on it. Queen Josephine’s followers, I noted with dissatisfaction. More royal knights brought up the rear. 

The red cushion was placed in front of the stone bowl on the altar. The royal family stood behind it, and the royal knights filed to the sides as King Henry began his speech. 

“Three hundred and twenty six years ago, our predecessors founded Orilon. Every year since then, to celebrate their bravery, we assemble here and remember the virtues they upheld to establish this kingdom.”

A short but inspiring history lesson later, King Henry lifted his hands to the sky and six banners unfurled on the wall behind him. The golden lion of the royal family, the red rose of the grand duchy, and the crests of the four dukedoms. The six founding families that overthrew the last corrupt king of a previous era. 

“This torch was lit on the coronation day of my forefather. It symbolized a new age, which had been brought force by the courage of their youth. With hope, we look to the future and what the next generations will bring us. Let this fire be lit with optimism and trust in the fortune of our young and this kingdom!”

Oscar lowered the torch to touch the bowl, which was actually a fire pit. Flames burst force in pretty colours, vibrant and alive. The king continued. 

“The first queen of Orilon, my foremother, is remembered for her integrity, and spirit. She helped make this kingdom thrive after great adversity, and she, too, placed hope in the morrow and its youth. Let us pride ourselves in her name, and in her honour, let this ornament be bestowed upon the lady with the most hunts to her name.”

In one swift motion, Queen Josephine gracefully lifted the red covering off the cushion, dazzling the room. No expense had been spared in making the tiara, and it was a masterpiece of gold and rubies shaped like laurel leaves. It was different from what I recalled of the novel’s description, but I put that down to one of those indirect butterfly effects. I couldn’t wait until I had it, and everything it represented. 

“In the glory of Orilon, with the dignity of its people, let this hunting competition commence!”

9