Chapter 88 – Summertime (II)
261 3 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

- - -

In the heat of July, Catherine’s carriage circled round and round a block in the capital. She gazed out the window, bored to death and suffocating. No one had told her how hot it was going to be! Baroness Bryant had returned to the Bryant country estate with Lady Briana, but Father had wanted her to stay so they could take advantage of the absence of Lady Bryant and Lady Valentina. 

Catherine was extremely uncomfortable with the idea, but it wasn’t like she could tell that to Father. He and Uncle let her sit in on their meetings with the expectation that she would remain silent and simply learn their finalized instructions. Father occasionally asked for her opinion, when he remembered her presence, but she knew from the meaningful gaze Uncle always gave her to keep her silly ideas to herself. They knew the world much better than she did, after all. 

‘Then why haven’t you told them about Lord Damian yet?’

Catherine shifted in her seat and frowned at her conscience. If she asked them about him, she was almost certain that they would order her to stop seeing him, and she didn’t want that. Ever since Lady Valentina’s birthday ball, gifts had started arriving at their mansion, from an anonymous admirer. Father had been glad that her reputation was good enough to have one, but when he’d asked if she knew who it was, she actually lied to him! Oh, what had become of her?

Her thoughts kept wandering back to Lord Damian, and she blushed whenever she did think of him. He was too good to her, sending her multiple bouquets of flowers, small jewels that were prettier than they cost so as to not arouse suspicion, a bottle of perfume, a jar of face cream, chocolates, candies, and more than she could remember. She had to repay him somehow, or reject him quickly to not lead him on. Yet for the life of her, she couldn’t bring herself to!

Catherine almost crushed the small dry flower in her palm and quickly let go to make sure it was all right. It wasn’t any kind she’d ever seen before and must have been dead for very long, as it seemed incredibly fragile, but thankfully was still intact. Father had given it to her as a good luck charm for today’s mission with oddly specific instructions, but she knew better than to ask questions. Nevertheless, he only had a few in his possession, so she mustn’t waste it. 

“My lady, can we go back yet? I think I’m going to burn to death in this sunlight!”

“Let’s wait a little longer, Mary. I don’t want to disappoint Father again. Would you like to come ride in the carriage with me?”

“Oh, no, I’d get scolded for sure! But my lady, it’s probably not so nice stuffed in that little box either. I’m sure His Lordship will understand!”

“It’s fine, Mary. Thank you for worrying about me!”

Catherine was touched by her maid’s concern, though she had to patiently stand firm against her further attempts of considerate persuasion, which did sound very tempting. It was the least she could do for Uncle and Father, given how much she was betraying them already. The image of Lord Damian did its best to distract her from the overwhelming guilt she felt, but at present it all came rushing back. 

Not obeying and disappointing Father and Uncle, intruding upon the happy family Father, Lady Bryant, and Lady Briana had, wounding Lady Valentina, who considered her a dear friend, and now Lord Damian. She ought to refuse him as soon as possible, but she didn’t want to. Yet if she didn’t, she’d make him think he had a chance, and that might end up hurting him even more, especially with how well he was treating her. Ack, what was she going to do?

She was so distressed that she almost missed Prince Oscar, stepping out of a building and flashing by in the window. Alas, as much as she wished otherwise, she did see him, and so she must carry out her responsibility. 

“Stop the carriage!”

“My lady, I think you’re mistaken! I’m pretty sure that's just a man that looks like His Highness! Let’s keep going!”

Mary’s kind but unfortunately mistaken words faded as Catherine descended the carriage and looked right at the crown prince of Orilon. For a moment, she felt helplessly rooted to her place, but she forced herself to approach him with a bright smile. 

“Hello, Your Highness! I’m glad to see you again!”

“Oh. Hello, Lady Catherine.”

Catherine couldn’t meet his cold piercing eyes. His voice sent a tingle through her and a burst of excitement in her chest, but not the pleasant kind, like with Lord Damian. It was a mixture of fear and exhilaration that she did not appreciate, an involuntary and wholly disagreeable attraction, and also further betrayal to Lady Valentina. She gulped. 

“What are you doing here on such a hot day?”

“I had business with an ambassador. That's why I’m in front of the Alcastian embassy.”

Catherine flushed and nodded. Lady Valentina would never ask something stupid like that! Her head was dizzy, and she already knew the prince’s plans from Father, so the conversation starter was just plain bad. She should get the thing done before she messed up any more! 

“Well, it’s nice running into you here! I’m going to the opera around the block to see their new show. If you’re done, would you like to join me?”

“No, thank you.”

His tone was polite, but icy and definite. How Catherine wished she could smile, bid him farewell, and get out of there! Alas, Father had other plans. She clenched her fist and felt the flower disintegrate in her palm, then subtly let go, allowing the powder to dissipate. She didn’t see it float up or any burst of magical light, but the prince’s eyes did narrow a bit as he waited for her to go away. 

“U-um, are you sure?”

“I… No. I’ll come.”

“Really? That’s great! Let’s go!”

Prince Oscar’s eyes bore accusingly into hers, and she bit her lip. Why, why, why, why, why? Why couldn’t he just be a good fiance to Lady Valentina? And why did she feel even hotter under his gaze than she already did in this sweltering heat? They sat in uncomfortable silence during the brief carriage ride, on the way up to a nobles’ box in the auditorium, and as the music began. 

Catherine had learned that the royal family had their own reserved box in theatres and operas, the best seats in the house, but Prince Oscar didn’t bother taking her to it. That was fine, as Father had only mentioned it as a hopeful exceeding of expectations, and she wasn’t the one that belonged there anyways. 

The nobles’ boxes were sparse, as most were in the country for the summer, but Father had arranged for what was left of the most notorious of gossips to witness them together. Surely enough, Catherine caught a few ladies some boxes away sneaking glances towards them and  whispering nonstop. She wondered if they were even listening to the music. She certainly wasn’t, not with her supposed future husband and her only friend’s fiance sitting next to her.

“So, Your Highness, do you like the opera?”

“Stop.”

Prince Oscar wouldn’t look at her, but she saw his gloved hand tighten on the armrest. 

“All right. Sorry.”

“No. I don’t care what you’re doing or how you’re doing it, but I want you to stop.”

He turned to face her, and she froze under his furious golden eyes. A shudder of absolute terror ran down her spine. The prince continued, his voice carefully controlled, but strained. 

“We had this conversation before, on the night of my banquet. I thought if you had any self respect or kindness, you would take it to heart.”

“But I’m really not doing anything…”

Catherine thought of the flower and felt a stab of guilt, but the banquet had been before that. Whatever he felt before that, even if it continued to strengthen, wasn’t her fault, right?

“Then I’m sorry for any unjust accusations. However, you did seek me out today, and the embassy was getting suspicious as to why your carriage kept circling it. I beg of you to stop approaching me.”

“Do you hate me that much?”

Faintly, Catherine felt hopeful. If she could explain to Father that it wasn’t because he was engaged, but that he just didn’t like her, and he understood how impossible it was-

“Not particularly. I feel nothing for you except a maddening need to be near you, but rest assured that I will not act on it. Unless you were hoping I would, in which case you’ll have to be disappointed. I also feel suspicious towards you, but for now, I’ll trust that you had no direct influence over me.”

Catherine had not even finished processing the first part, or any of it. Was that a confession? Did she just get confessed to? Or was that some kind of insult? He wouldn’t do that, right? Her heart sped up and she blushed, though she wasn’t sure she should be flustered. He didn’t wait for her to make up her mind before he kept going. 

“As you most definitely know, I have a fiancee, and Lady Valentina is superior to you in every aspect. In fact, I believe you’re friends with her, in a society where everyone else is against you. If you have any conscience, you would stay away from us. Good day, Lady Catherine.”

Prince Oscar stood up and left without turning back. Catherine watched him go, and all she felt was relief. She saw the ladies get up from the other box and head in her direction, and knew she was about to be interrogated on what had passed, but she was just happy it was over.

Ever since she entered high society, she’d done nothing but harm everyone around her. She couldn’t keep ignoring it anymore and thinking that Uncle and Father would take care of everything, could she?

- - -

In the evening, Baron Bryant played chess with his loyal valet. After nearly two decades, Charles was still terrible, but that was fine. Besides, the baron was especially pleased today. 

“What do you think, Charles?”

“That you’re gonna beat me again, my lord.”

“No, no. About our little Catherine, I mean. You mightn’t have raised her exactly as I would have liked, but she’s good enough.”

“Ah, yes! She’s your daughter, after all, my lord, but I daresay I did a damn good job.”

Charles puffed out his chest proudly, and the baron saw again the dedicated young man he’d entrusted his daughter to all those years ago. After far too many years of planning, things were finally coming together. 

Baron Bryant smiled. He loved Catherine as much as a father could love a daughter, though maybe not quite as much as he did with Briana, given so many years of separation. However, he did want the best for her, and it was merely a happy coincidence that it happened to be the best thing for himself as well. 

“I can feel it, Charles. His Highness may resist for now, but he’ll succumb.”

The baron picked up a chess piece and toyed with it. Satisfied, he placed it down with a smile. 

“Our Catherine is going to be queen.”

8