Chapter 104 – In Sickness and In Health (I)
209 4 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It was not my first time starting a plague, and I doubted that it would be the last. It started as innocent tests on a small scale to get a glimpse on the immune system of the people in this world, for the vaccination programs I wanted to start once Sophia finished her studies and I became queen. However, it was also very convenient for my reputation when I miraculously showed up and cured everyone with imported drugs under the name of God, or, well, as many as I could. The temple got its fair share as well, with the outrageous fees people were willing to pay for blessings. It did not take long for the latter reasons to become my main motivation. 

After one incident, when things got a little out of control and a third of the population in a major city perished, I learned to be more careful. The viscount who’d ruled over the city had opposed us for a policy, but became a devoted ally after I saved what remained of his most prosperous metropolis, though it had been severely damaged, a pity for the whole kingdom. Since then, I had refrained from outbreaks in populous cities, and this onset of smallpox in the capital was planned with every precaution possible. 

“Smallpox, Your Holiness? Truly?”

Nathaniel’s judgemental gaze fell upon me, but when I met it with a raised eyebrow, reminding him of his position, he shrank back. I knew he suspected, but he had no proof, and even if he did, it would be far too easy to take care of a little priest with no power of his own. By this point, my connections within the temple were already so strong that I didn’t really need him, though it would be useful if he would accept the offer of high priesthood already. 

“Most unfortunate, I agree. Of course, we will do all we can.”

We had just finished our morning prayers. A few days had passed since the news of Catherine’s infection, and the usual protocol had been followed, so familiar to me by now that I’d memorized it. The temple released a statement, evaluating the threat of the contagion, low in this case, and I made one, too, to inspire hope and to urge people to protect themselves. Then, we announced a plan, and carried it out, with as much publicity as we could. That was what we were doing today. 

“Yes, but it’s one of the most horrid illnesses there are. How could such a thing happen?”

One of Sophia’s failed experiments in trying to develop a vaccine safe enough for the tragically weak immune systems Orilon’s people had. She wrote to me regularly with updates about her studies, and I had her send over any substances I thought might be useful, which was how I began and controlled all my plagues. If she had ever heard and connected the dots, she was smart enough to keep it to herself. 

The explanation offered to the people was a foreign refugee in one of the slum districts Catherine frequented. He had succumbed and died by the time they found him, and records of his identity would not be found anywhere. The discovery was made quickly, after tracking Catherine’s very limited activities, and the area was immediately surrounded by the temple’s knights, as well as the Bryant mansion. An unfortunate event, but the temple and the saint would make sure that everything was all right. 

“God works in mysterious ways, Nathaniel, but you must have faith in him, and in me. Come, let us not dawdle any longer.”

At the slums, an army of priests was waiting for us, with an equally large legion of reporters. With Mikhail and the holy knights keeping the journalists back, Priest Fernandez took me to the statue of God they’d erected and blessed. It amplified the divine powers of the priests, and it made me look good. I turned and addressed the congregation with the speech I had prepared, or rather, Zoe and Priest Fernandez had prepared. The saint was too busy embezzling funds for such trivial tasks. 

“We are gathered today because our city is at risk of a dangerous malady, but I have complete faith that God will protect us and guide us through these treacherous times. Together, let us bring salvation and relief to our fellow brothers and sisters!”

The mass of priests dispersed systematically. The affected area was not large, but since smallpox was normally so dangerous, they would attempt to bless everyone who could’ve possibly come in contact with the source. The refugee had arrived just before Catherine, and had been contained as soon as she left, but they didn’t know that, except for Priest Fernandez. Similarly, only he and I knew that this strain was weaker and much less contagious, but nevertheless, we must ensure that nothing went out of hand. 

While he led most of the priests into the slums, I, Nathaniel, and a handful of others, remained to pray at the statue. I vaguely sensed their holy power flow into it and spread to augment the powers of all the priests in the district, but I knew that the reporters, not having spent nearly as much time in the temple as I, couldn’t. On the side of the priests, they’d been told that my divinity was simply not yet awakened, because it was waiting for the demon lord to fully rise, so they didn’t question why none came from me. 

“Do you think this will become an outbreak, Your Holiness?”

“No, not at all. We noticed and took measures very quickly, so I’m certain that this will not last long. In fact, I believe everything will have recovered by the new year.”

During lunch, I spoke with the reporters. Slightly alternating my replies had become natural to me, and I looked forward to the usual articles on how saintly I was. However, there was one aspect to this situation that was different from my past crimes. 

“What do you think of Lady Catherine Bryant’s condition? We’ve heard she’s very weak, almost on the verge of death, and yet Your Holiness is here instead of with her. Do you think she’s to blame, if the outbreak spreads to the rest of the aristocracy?”

“The best priests and physicians were summoned to attend to Lady Catherine, and while her fate, as with all of ours, is in the hands of God, the last I heard, she is doing well, considering her naturally weak constitution. As for myself, I have always considered my obligations to God and the kingdom before my personal relationships, as dear as they may be to me. Also, I believe she is quite innocent of everything except for the innate simplicity that led her to visit this place, but blame can not be cast lightly, and I think that God will grant her forgiveness. Once we are confident that the rest of the capital is safe, I will visit her.”

I’d thought up this response myself, carefully weighing all the aspects. High society was annoyed at the cancellations of social events and the disruptions to everyday life, so blame must be laid, and anyone who could read between the lines would see that I was not pardoning Catherine. The girl herself, of course, was not included, and would only be touched that I was defending her. 

The afternoon was spent in prayers, and I, again, spent the time perfecting my schemes in my head. When the sun began to set, Priest Fernandez came to escort me to see the progress they’d made, as well as to give the reporters a story. We strode through the district, and though I’d long mastered the art of disguising disgust for sympathy, I was still deeply repulsed by the state these people lived in. Since we only went as far as the blessed regions, the reporters trailed behind us. My mentor slyly signalled, and I led our procession to stop before a mother cradling a baby. 

She told us her sob story, and though I hardly listened, my mechanical expressions and reactions were so compassionate it fairly brought tears to some of the journalists. The woman grasped my hands, and I didn’t even flinch, but I had to throw out the handkerchief I later wiped my hands on. Overall, another boring day, except for my lunch with the reporters, but worth it for the publicity in tomorrow's newspapers. I got home exhausted, though I’d hardly done anything. 

“Tia! Ugh, I feel awfully dirty. Add extra petals to the bath.”

While Tia and the band of personal maids I now had washed me, Zoe reported on the day’s news. Most of them were usual, but one piece demanded attention. 

“Lord Damian is still outside of the Bryant mansion, my lady.”

It had been nearly a week since the news of Catherine’s infection, and he’d gone there as soon as he heard, though he’d been kept outside by the holy knights. I sighed. I trusted my brother to be smart enough to see that part of why I’d done this to Catherine was in response to his ridiculous proposal, and I’d hoped he’d take it as a warning, but that didn’t seem to be the case. 

“Release the news of her infertility the day after tomorrow. I’ll visit her the day after that.”

“Yes, my lady.”

If only she could die without triggering her divinity! Alas, the novel’s description of her powers and the research I’d done indicated that she’d be basically immortal, if she ever did. 

I did not feel bad for what I was doing, but I did wish I could be done with her already, for I was getting rather tired. If this didn’t drive her out of society forever, then I would play my ultimate move…

4