Chapter 4: Shadows
1.2k 0 21
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

      The prince was dead, the news quickly spread upon the lips of town criers, and priesthood clergymen like wildfire. The rumor’s of sickness, and sudden plaque, quickly spiraled out of control by the time the official death bell tolled.

      By that point, Rain had been escorted from the Deacon’s premises. She had yet to answer how she could be of any worth. 

      How can I answer something like that? She wondered. 

      Rain wasn’t afraid of being cast from the cloister. In truth, she was already considering escape plans. A route through the servants corridor seemed the most promising. Although it would require her to avoid the elvish servants who looked at her with even more disgust than the Knight had.

      The look of revulsion on the Knights face had sent shivers down her spine. It made her wonder if simple expulsion was even on the menu. They only considered her a thing, not a human, or elf for that matter. She didn’t know what was worse, to try to find some answer to the deacon’s question, or face the Knights judgement. 

      Regardless, before Rain could summon an answer, the announcement came of calamity from the royal family. Without a word, she was swiftly brought back to her room, and locked inside. 

      Above the central keep, the deep growl of the obelisk bell signalled the prince’s passing. The bell was old, even by the Principalities standards, and resounded with a deep gong of demise. 

      Rain had heard a rumor in the alienage that the bell was cursed. The magic holding it aloft in the air would only release its constraints once the kings line had ended. Whether it was true, or not, Rain could believe it. She could see the obelisk instrument floating above the central keep when she wandered the cloisters gardens, and couldn’t imagine anyone willingly paying for such a commission of foreign stone and magical lore.

      Rain heard the bell’s toll for over an hour, before it finally ceased. While she was locked in her room, each ring vibrated through the cobblestone walls like an ailing heartbeat. She supposed it was better than the scratching.

      Once finished, An eerie silence descended over the cloister, and only the sound of weeping could be heard from neighboring chambers. Rain wondered if Maxine was among those mourning the death of royalty? No doubt the common folk would find a way to blame the prince’s sudden demise on the elves. Already, Rain could imagine the lies being spread about elvish poison. 

      If it wasn’t elvish poisons, Rain knew the blame would likely go to the Demon Lord and his armies to the west. It wasn’t impossible to imagine a foreign assassin scaling the walls to find where the young prince had slept. 

      Rain tried to think of ponder something else. Thinking of the Demon Lord was never a good thing. It was said that his minions were lured by weak minds, and weak hearts. To let one’s mind wander about the Demon Lord was to send an open invitation to his malicious creations. 

      The next hour was spent in boring silence. Rain was content that she could at least rid herself of the scratchy clothes, and wash her tender skin. Her nakedness was highlighted only by the single candle in the room. The wax was half gone, yet the flame endured to cast a dancing shadow in the small space. 

      Other than the simple flame, Rain’s elf ears could pick up nothing coming from nearby. The silence was unnerving. In the alienage, she could always hear the sound of rats scurrying nearby, or other insects nesting in the rotting wood. Here, in the cloister…there was nothing after the death bell tolled.

      Once cleaned, to the best of her ability with a simple rag and old water jug, Rain laid on the bed to stare into the ceiling. It was far too humid to wrap herself in the bedsheets, and the lack of fresh air made it intolerable to consider wearing the rough-spun tunic and trousers. A breath of fresh air would’ve been intoxicating right about now, Rain had decided.

      By midday, no one had come to visit her, not even to bring her fresh food or water. She looked down at the empty plate at the seat of her bedside, and it caused her stomach to growl. Chicken broth, and hard bread, seemed to be all they had to offer. Rain wouldn’t complain though, it was the richest broth she ever tasted.  

      More time passed, the wax of the candle waned. Just as the last of the light began to fade, a clash of thunder resounded. It screamed through the stonework with a sudden fury, like a hammer upon stone, that Rain shot upright in fright. Her skin tingled from the sudden surge of static electricity, and the hairs on the back of her neck straightened.

      The earth underneath the bed growled, and vibrated for several seconds. It was then that the last gasp of candlelight extinguished. With the flame snuffed out, a carpet of chaos was laid thick upon the air of the room.

      The scratching started again, this time with such frenzy that the cobblestone in the walls seemed to crack! The grinding rock gave Rain the impression that the brickwork was coming apart! Terrified, she jumped off the bed, and could feel trickes of dirt falling from the ceiling. 

      “NOPE!” Rain scurried to the doorway, not even taking the time to grab her clothes, and proceeded to try to force the door open. Her time in the alienage had taught Rain how to pick a simple lock, yet with such pregnant darkness, and terror, her nerves were shattered beyond the ability to concentrate.

      The scratching only grew more intense. The sound of a brick coming loose, and falling to the floor, drove Rain to slam her shoulder into the door. Pain eluded her as she tried to get free. Her heart raced with each impact. Fear carved its way through her bones as Rain kept throwing her weight against the door, again and again, until it swung open. 

      The doorway opened from the other side. Blinded by the sudden light of the hallway, Rain fell, headfirst, into Maxine’s arms. The young woman had a look of shock on her face as she wrapped her arms around Rain’s shivering form. 

      “By the gods, what has gotten into you?” She asked with genuine concern. 

      Behind Rain, the candle in her room was still lit, and nothing had been disturbed.  

21