Chapter 12: Danger
692 1 16
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

      She could see the night sky clearly for the first time since leaving the city, and Rain basked in the starlight. Far from the smoke and light of Saleah, she could gaze into their radiant beauty. The grass was covered in dew and a light fog had risen like a ghost, but it couldn't mask the light from above. Rain had heard stories about how seafarers used the stars to guide their way to distant shores. She tried to picture patterns arrayed in them, and wondered how anyone could piece together anything in all that chaos.

      She was not too far away from her sanctuary. Rain had never had a home before, and it felt strange walk away.

      "So, enjoying the air?" Tjere asked. The dhampir was several paces in front of her, guarding her queen with her life. Rain took a moment to acknowledge that it was the first time she saw Tjere in anything other than armor. Tjere wore a cloak over a cream colored gown that wrapped tenderly over her ample curves. Even though her skin was milky white, the dhampir’s looks would garner more than a few admirers. 

      “Its been years since I’ve seen starlight,” Rain answered. Growing up in the alienage, seeing the stars amid all the smog was rare. 

      Namire adorned a similar cloak, one that was thick enough to cover her tail and ears. “I couldn’t imagine living a life without enjoying the night sky. In Fanfow, we would sing with the coming of the moon.” 

      So strange, Rain kept her opinions to herself. The air was crisp, and breathe sharpened her mind. 

      Tjere slowed her pace, just enough to let them both catch up. “I can sympathize, I grew up in Holdenheim? Ever hear of it?" She asked Rain.

      Rain had only ever heard of the city in passing. It was the largest bastion of Verdun, and it bordered the provinces of the Demon Lord in the north. It was a large, and ancient city that protected the narrow stretch of land to the Verdun highlands. Holdenheim was the only reason Verdun was still standing against the Demon Lords northern expansion.

      Rain nodded."It's near the ocean, and at night you could go out to the beach and see the stars just like this." She seemed captivated by the memory."In the alienage, we we're lucky to ever see anything but the moon." Rain suddenly felt a shiver down her spine as she recalled the claustrophobia of living in the cramped streets.

      “In Holdenheim, the alienage was near the tanner districts,” Tjere said quietly. “There was constant smoke, and it smelled rancid.” 

      It was obvious by her tone that Tjere had more to say, but she quickly froze, and signaled for the trio to halt. Just ahead, they could see a tiny wisp of smoke billowing out from the tree line. The lodge was one of the few tiny establishments dotting the vast expanse. Such places were the home of vagrants, rogues, and cut-throat mercenaries. Only the most die hard of big game hunters would dare tempt fate by coming here. Yet there was always a lowly noble, or petty regent, eager to prove their courage. 

      Sometimes small bands of city dwellers would come to places like this, to rest their heads and trade supplies. What few farms or ranches that existed here would keep close to these lodges, making them staples for small human settlements. 

      Rain and her party quickened their pace, but kept to the treelike once they were within sight of the building. Only a small collection of wooden shacks were erected around the two story structure, and they could hear the chirps of chicken coops and groans of cattle. 

      The people who lived out here were of a modest sort. Isolated, they rejected city society except for trading supplies. It was rare to see the glimmer of silver, or specks of gold among their belongings. For this reason, Rain narrowed her eyes when she saw three horses, each wearing silver armor and carrying ruck sacks. 

      Only Knights rode steeds like that. 

      “Tjere,” Their was fire in Rain’s voice. “Find out what there doing here.”

      With a nod, and a wink, the dhampir rushed forward like a ghost in the wind. Rain then looked back at Namire, who looked up at her waiting for orders. “Namire, lets get back to Delsaldes.” 

 

 

Part 2 Rain

16