Chapter 21: First Throne
393 1 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

      “Why are my nipples purple?” Rain looked down her body with inquisitive eyes. Her skin had started to take on a more granite stone paler that reflected a pale purple shine in the light. The brands were changing as well, shifting and curling to wrap around her torso, and decorate her abdominal muscles. They burned brightly in the moonlight, and glowed in the dark. 

      Sunlight no longer held its appeal. Why Rain ever enjoyed the blinding rays of light in the first place confounded her. The moon was her friend now. Its soft luminous glow was a warm balm against her bare skin. Even on the coldest of nights, that beautiful jewel in the sky offered her comfort.

      The largest house in Kings Barrow was little more than a chapel dedicated to a dead god. What used to be a shrine was now a newly constructed wooden chair, a petty excuse for a throne. A fire was lit in the central chamber, a hearth fire that warmed the entire building. It was Namire’s idea, a custom from her homelands that offered a place of warmth and protection for all who entered. 

      The gaudy decorations, chimes, and broken bones had been discarded. In there place were tokens of dedication to Roien, and small sigils resembling the brand marks covering Rain’s body. Above the chair, a small flag had been embroidered, something Namire had been working on in her spare time. The banner was sparse for now, but the green and white background resembled a pastoral field. There was a debate as to what symbol should be stitched to the front, and Rain had tabled the discussion for the time being. 

      Garbed in a loose robe, with a soft blanket wrapped around her waist, Rain studied all the changes to her body while Tjere observed in silence. There was an aura of reverence surrounding the wooden chair, and Tjere marveled at Rain’s stature like a loving companion.

      “Is something wrong my queen?” Tjere had stumbled into the room wearing a rough spun robe over her lean shoulders. There was color in the dhampir cheeks, and a warmth in her skin. Rain noticed a fluster along the lining of Tjere’s collarbone, and padding the gentle slopes of her cleavage.

      “You’ve had a nice meal, I see.” Rain hoped her dhampir hadn’t engorged herself too much. She needed some of the village inhabitants alive and well, at least enough to finish repairing the walls. “But again, why are my nipples purple!” Rain asked again, this time louder. Both her buds had grown a few centimeters wider, and were more pronounced. 

      “I assure you they are marvelous.” Tjere averted her gaze, not wanting to draw offense.

      Rain bit her lip, her body was changing, and in ways she hadn’t anticipated. “Shit, I’m running out of time.” Her body was growing more sensitive, and she could feel something flowering in her groin. “My body, it’s almost ready to conceive.” Rain gripped onto armrests in frustration. 

      Her time was up, she failed Roien to make it to the sanctuary in time. Within a matter of days, likely sooner, her body would be at its ripest, and her power at its weakest. Judging by the sudden mood swings, and her growing sexual appetite, there would be hell to pay if Rain hadn’t fertilized the prized eggs yearning to float freely in her womb. 

      “My queen, that’s excellent news! Might I find a suitable mate for you? Theres plenty of male Pharine’s, and a few elfish slaves, to choose from. I wouldn’t bother with the humans, there not worthy of your splendor.” Tjere wiped a small red stain from the corner of her mouth. Both her fangs were poking through her lips, and her icy blue eyes were burning bright. 

      She’s definitely feasted too much, Rain concluded to herself. Evidently, Tjere wasn’t worried about insulting her god by not finding a vampire to copulate with her master. In fact, she seemed relieved. 

      “Bring me the armor,” Rain sighed. In just a few days, her mystical strength would fail, albeit temporarily. She still had a few things she needed to do before that happened.

      Tjere stiffened, “Of course! I just finished the gauntlets, sorry it took so long. I know I said it’ll be done sooner, but it took days to find suitable iron in this town. It turns out the blacksmith kept the best ingots hidden underneath the forge, likely hoarding it for himself.” 

      “Who hoards metal ingots?” Rain asked.

      “Apparently fat old ones who have an addiction to shish roots,” Tjere popped her knuckles while she answered. 

      Rain had only heard of the shish plant recently. It was an odd plant, only recently discovered in the shadowy badlands, and Rain suspected it was the Demon Lords doing. At first glance it looked almost like a saphris herb used for its medicinal properties. Upon grounding it up, and using it as a salve, rather than treating illnesses it instills a tremendous sense of euphoria. Highly addictive, the plant had rampaged every small community struggling to survive under the Demon Lords shadow.

      Rain shrugged, happy to return to the subject at hand. “Thank you for working hard on my new raiments, I would like to wear it upon inspecting our new recruits.”

      There were an abundance of elf slaves among the rabble in Kings Barrow. Most of the women were pregnant, and desperate. Despite there condition, Rain had every intention of bettering their circumstances. 

      “How many more desperate vagabonds are you going to have tallying around?” Tjere’s eyes narrowed. It was a sign of her displeasure, but Rain found it adorable.

      Rain stepped forward, and reached out to pinch Tjere’s chin. “Are you going to question my decisions?”

      “Of course not my queen!” Tjere jerked back, and fell to her knee’s in supplication. A layer of dust was swept aside as her legs pressed against the ground.

      Tjere’s sudden shift to submission was enough to make Rain chuckle. “Good my adorable little Tjere. I look forward to seeing who you choose for yourself?” 

      “What?” Tjere looked up in confusion.

      “I figure you deserve a servant of your own, or a personal blood bag. Whichever you prefer.” Judging by Tjere’s reaction, Rain was fairly certain her dhampir would choose the later. 

      Just before ushering her to rise, the brands began to glow. Rain could feel them itching along the base of her spine with relentless fervor. Something was happening, her patron was yearning for her attention. Perhaps Roien would come to visit in her dreams tonight? Rain wasn’t sure, who was she to predict the machinations of gods?

      But as the curse brands reached her lower stomach, just above her precious uterus, a surge of warmth spread throughout her loins, sending her ovary’s aflame. Her stomach clenched, and Rain could feel a wetness dripping down her legs. 

      “Are you alright my queen?” Tjere got up on her feet.

      Rain collected herself quickly. She could feel a sudden lack of awareness, a draining of color in the room. Her body’s magical reserves were withering away, focusing on empowering the potential prodigy in her womb. In this state, she was vulnerable, and for the first time since leaving Saleah, she was afraid. 

      “Of course,” Rain lied. Her head was spinning, but she did her best to remain standing. The wave of pleasure passed, but the drain of energy remained. She took in a deep breath, and rubbed her shoulders. Tjere stood happily by her side, waiting eagerly for future instructions.

12