Chapter 25: Luna
598 1 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Luna cleaved her broadsword through the goblins neck, watching as its head flopped into the mire. The sound of its squealing appalled her, making her wish she could kill it again. As its head sank into the mud, Luna’s eyes started to play tricks on her. She could’ve sworn its decapitated head was still snarling at her, blinking, and licking its lips.

Goblins were such filthy creatures.

The pure bloods were rampant fiends that existed only to breed. Males were driven solely by their lust, and when they weren’t bedding their own females, they raped and plundered for others. Mix breeds with goblins were just as varied, as they were interesting.

When a goblin raped an elf, the poor woman would produce a pup that would grow to be much taller, more humanoid, and much more intelligent than the average goblin. When mixed with humans, the offspring was often taller, broader, and more robust. Sometimes they were more intelligent, but considered lame among human societies. 

Few mix breeds were welcome among their mothers families, and rarely were they even welcome among goblin communities. Goblins didn’t like having to compete with stronger goblins, or smarter ones, and thus mix breeds tragically were often abandoned.

Not so for Luna.

Her mother was an elf, from some alienage in a forgotten border city. She had been traveling to another city, away from the demon lords domain, when suddenly her convoy was attacked. She was captive to the goblin horde for months, only discarded after a group of knights slaughtered those said goblins.

When she had her child, she couldn’t bare to leave it to the wilds, and thus kept her close. Luna grew to be completely healthy, her elvish blood seemingly dominant over her fathers rancid genes. She was short, just a few inches shorter than her mother, with light green skin, an oval face, and jet black hair. Her body was the spitting image of her mothers, with large soft breasts, and wide child bearing hips.

Her mother had to raise her in the mire, living among other goblin rape victims. Their offspring came together, forming an ad-hoc mercenary company that operated in the marshlands. Their band was almost entirely made up of goblin half-breeds. Extended family weren’t too far behind.

There was plenty of work for them.

Vampire lords hired them to clear out werewolves. Humans hired them to clear out goblins. Both sometimes hired them to fight as auxiliary troops when they fought each other in the woodlands.  

Luna sighed, watching the grand collection of dead, and dying, goblins surrounding her. 

“Yet another nest wiped,” one of their new member Dense sputtered alongside her. The human-goblin was almost as tall as herself, with dark green skin, toned muscles, and a broad forehead. At first glance one might’ve mistaken him for a small orc, but his dimwitted nature would give him away. Even orcs were smarter than the average goblin.

“Yes Dense, good job,” Luna yawned, stretching out her arms. Her shoulders were sore after several hours of fighting. Goblins were only dangerous in large numbers, when they had the drop on their victims. Being half goblin herself, Luna was well acquainted with how they smelled, and where they liked to hide. She hated that her own nature helped her know how goblins liked to think.

“Dense do good?” The laggard asked, the club in his hands dragging in the mire.

“Yes, you did good. Good boy,” Luna patted him on the shoulder.

“That makes twenty seven. That with the eighteen yesterday, and we that makes a mid sized nest. Good job,” Merrill Stonehouse bent down to remove the ears from the shorn heads. The woman was human, and taught Luna everything she knew. She even taught her learn how to stitch, and make clothes from all the animal pelts that were collected.

The dark haired woman had accompanied them for some time, after mothering twin pups she felt obligated to try and be a mother to them. Despite her children’s mixed heritage, they were probably among the smartest of their band, something Merrill prided herself with.

“Thanks, we should turn them in tomorrow. I would love some actual venison.” Luna washed her hands of goblin blood. 

Merrill nodded to her. She was often the one to directly talk with human settlements. Trading ears for coin. Few would allow a half breed inside, making Merrill invaluable. 

“I’ll get you some bread, milk, eggs, and maybe a proper rabbit for stew. How about that?” Merrill was happy to see a smile on Luna’s face at the suggestion. The three of them worked for a few minutes longer, collecting ears, and gathering their equipment.

It was starting to get dark. Their band never worked in the dark, not unless hunting werewolves. The night belonged to the dead, who were far more dangerous than goblins, and far more prevalent. 

The pair returned to camp, finding the others in their company had had good luck. It was a good day. Hundreds of goblin ears had been collected, which meant they could turn in the bounty for enough food to last them several weeks. Luna couldn’t wait to eat properly cooked food, rather than having to hunt for skunk newts.

The company set up a fire, and began cleaning their weapons when suddenly, the air grew cold. Luna jolted to awareness, her fingers twitched as a tingle brushed her spine.

She looked up, to find a tall shade standing amongst them. His cowl covered his face, but Luna knew a vampire lord when she saw him. She didn’t bother to pick up her sword. There would be no point. If he wanted to kill them, he would’ve done it already. That didn’t stop Dense from swinging his club in the air, trying to seem menacing.

Merrill was first on her feet, along with the other humans and elves in the group.

 Luna slowly got up herself, taking two fragile steps toward the creature. This wasn’t the first time a vampire sought out their services, although it was the first time she did the talking. Their previous leader, who did the negotiating, was eaten by a troll three days ago. 

She wasn’t sure why she walked toward the vampire, it was as if she were bewitched. Perhaps the vampire thought her amusing? His finger pointing toward her, drawing her in close. Luna felt courage enough to remain standing, even though she wished someone like Merrill would speak to him instead.

“Many goblins dead,” Luna whispered. She assumed he had come to hire them to clear out more goblins. It only made sense. Why else would they care to even talk to them? Goblins were seen as too tedious for vampires to get their hands dirty, it was why they hired mercenaries like herself. They took out the scraps, so the true lords of the woods didn’t have too. 

“First,” their patron looked at them. His eyes were tiny black beads that were somehow darker than a starless night. “I have another job for you.”

“More goblins? Or werewolves?” Luna hoped it wasn’t werewolves. 

“Humans…drow…and…Succubus,” his words were stretched, like a rasp in the wind. 

That was new! Lucy gasped hearing that he wanted them to fight a Succubus. Luna had never seen one before, although she heard plenty of stories. Their previous leader claimed they were far stronger than even a vampire.

“Succubus?” Luna gulped. 

A thick dab of drool leaked from Dense’s lips. “Is Succubus pretty? I heard Succubus was pretty.”

“She is newly ascended,” the vampire ignored Dense’s childish outburst. “Don’t worry, she won’t be strong enough for you.”

Somehow, Luna didn’t believe him. She nodded regardless. What else could she do?

7