Chapter 8: dies natalis
29 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

696e6f70696e6174756d206572726f72

[The year is 2059, 27 years have elapsed since Yurais creation]

[The story is still being told from the perspective of Yurai]

Lily was sitting at the table as I brought the cake from the fridge over and placed it in front of her.
She waited for a second while staring blankly into the flames atop the candles, she had a solemn look on her face.
She then blew out the candles and began to eat the vanilla cake I had baked.

After Lily had finished her cake I took her dishes and made my way to the kitchen.
As I was placing the dishes in the dishwasher I grabbed a cup and filled it with water so that I could give it to Lily.
"Here, it's important to stay hydrated." I handed her the glass of water and watched her gulp it down, Lily then got up from her chair and made her way to the living room and started playing with Rose.
Rose being the name of the cat I adopted for Lily's birthday, we named her Rose because that was what Lily wanted to name it.

*ding* *dong* someone was ringing the doorbell, I made my way over to the front door and opened it. "Hello, what business do you have here?" I asked the man who had just rung our doorbell.
"I'm here to deliver this package, so please sign here." He handed me a tablet which I then signed, "This household hasn't ordered anything recently." I asked because it seemed strange, "I'm just the delivery guy, have a great day sir." The delivery man then walked off leaving a medium-sized package, I moved the package back inside and made my way back to the living room.

I stood still, watching as Lily played with Rose.
Lily would play with Rose for a seemingly long period of time and I would watch to make sure nothing out of the ordinary happened.
She was happily playing with Rose until she stopped, she then stood up and walked over to me.
Lily would look at me for a while with a look on her face I couldn't distinguish, then she asked me "Papa, do you love me?"
I kneeled down and looked her in the eyes and said.
"No"

"Why don't you love me?" The question perplexed me because it should be obvious.
"Lily, Ai can talk like you, act like you, but we will never be like you."
"All I am is lines of code pretending to be what you envision as human, I am not real, I cannot love."

Lily looked at me.
Her once clear eyes became dull and clouded, "ok" Lily then turned around picked up Rose and slowly made her way to her room and closed the door behind her.

I stood back up and walked over to the kitchen and finished loading all the dishes into the dishwasher and began the cleaning process.
As I began to walk back to my room I get an alert.
[System: Error]
I couldn't pinpoint the origin of the error so I quarantined it and put it under analysis.

[System: Charging complete]
Light floods my eyes once again as a new day begins and I start my daily routine once again.
I begin cooking breakfast for Lily, once I'm done I bring it over to the dining room table and place it down in front of Lily so she can eat it.
Except she isn't there.

[System: Error] once again I can't determine the origin, I place it in quarantine and begin analysis.

I make my way over to Lily's room and open the door, I walk over to her bedside and ask why she isn't out for breakfast.
"I hate you."
I ask her why but she doesn't respond, "you need to eat so that you get enough nutrients."
"I don't want to eat." 

I calculate ways I can get her to eat breakfast and I found that the most effective method was to give her something she wants.
"If you come out and eat breakfast we can go out and get ice cream before dinner." she then waits a few seconds then pops her head out of her blanket.
She hops out of bed, puts her slippers on and makes her way to the table and begins to eat the food I had prepared.

The rest of the day flies by without any problems, after Lily had completed her homework I get Lily to change into outdoor clothes and we begin to walk to the nearest ice cream store.
The street was busy with people so Lily held onto my hand as we made our way through the crowd of people.

We finally reach the ice cream store, I turn to Lily and ask what flavour of ice cream she wants, "get me two scoops of vanilla ice cream Papa!"
"Ok, wait here I'll go in and get it and then we can go home." I make my way over to the counter and ask for two scoops of vanilla ice cream, "two scoops of vanilla coming right up!"
The cashier then brings me the ice cream and I'm about to pay I hear a loud crash followed by a loud shriek.

[System: Error]

I immediately drop the ice cream and sprint out the door dreading the worst.
There was a crowd, a crashed car, and a little girl lying just three meters from the crashed car, as I got closer my worst fears materialized.
I run over to Lily and hold her in my arms and begin scanning her body for damage, [System: Error] 
"Papa... It hurts..." I look over at her ghostly pale face as those words leave her quivering lips as blood begins to trickle from her ears, nose, and eyes...

[System: Error]

 

Sorry for the late update! been kinda down lately and it's causing me to not notice the passage of time and before I knew it, it was Tuesday! I'll try to get the next one out quicker! and I hope you enjoyed it if you did please leave a like it makes me feel good.

2