Chapter 2: A new beginning…
102 4 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Even as the years passed, and my heart hardened. I still had vivid nightmares when Nene’s eyes lost their light. When that woman who was my sworn enemy called me a monster, she was not wrong. That same day, I learned I was one.

Seeing me so inconsolable, Dad explained to me how I came to be. What I was, what they hoped for me to be. Everything was so overwhelming. But something stuck to me. They linked my life to two boys that would save me from the gods themselves.

Well, if I could save them first from their moral dilemmas. After all, as long as I was bonded to them. The living gods could not find me in this realm. I was a freak that should never have been alive.

Yet here I was, fighting for my life that no one wanted. I rose my hand towards the ceiling of the broken-down house; we were staying at for the past few months. It was hard to believe how six years passed in a blink of an eye.

I was now eighteen, a full-fledged witch, too. No, I was worse than a witch. The brooch that my father had given me was the one thing that contained my power. If I ever took it off and let my emotions run wild. My truest self would radiate out.

White light would consume my fair skin, turning it paler than snow. My eyes would turn into cosmos themselves. And my hair would go blond, almost golden, like I always wanted. It was freaky and inhuman. When I first took it off, it startled me.

Though that was when I noticed how much of an abomination I was. That woman, Rem, who hunted me was right to do so. Even so, I wanted to stay out of her grip. That night was still vivid in my mind, even after all these years later.

************

Am I a monster, daddy? I asked, still crying, even though we were safely away from those people that caused me pain.

The way Rem stared at me with such anger. Surely, I had done something wrong. In response to my question, Dad seemed conflicted. His blue orbs squinted, kneeling towards me. A soft simper formed on his lips, gently touching my cheeks.

Nene and he were the only ones who ever gazed at me with those eyes. They were so gentle towards me.

I… am sorry, Vi. I can’t tell you what you are. People will see you as they want. But you can’t let it define you. You’re so much more than what they will ever see. Dad tried to avoid the subject.

It triggered Lilith to scuff at him. She stood behind him after being fetched from the village on the way out. Dad had the power to control the shadows. It allowed him to traverse through them like portals.

He was one of the rarest warlocks ever to exist. One in a Million births. These types of warlocks could only be male, too. Much like eternal witches were female. These women could control time to a point, too. Like me…

Cain, you’re the only one who would ever see her as a being deserving of love. She should know that. It’ll make everything much easier in the end. Lilith rolled her eyes.

It caused Dad’s eyes to reflect pure anger when he turned to her. I had never seen him like that before. Fearing what would happen, I caused his gaze to snap right back at me when I kept questioning everything.

If I was not in the room… I wonder what would have happened.

Only Daddy will ever love me? Why? What did I do wrong? I kept going, triggering Lilith to smirk at me, pleased at me examining my life.

She would be the one to teach me why I never would be loved. I would be eternally thankful for her, breaking me out of my innocence and into the reality that I lived.

Lilith, don’t you dare. Dad snapped at her.

She shrugged off his warning, knowing as long as I was there. He would not dare touch her.

Cain, it’s better if she knows now. Love’s something that will never happen to her because of what she is. I’m the same way. Some people are just meant to not be loved. Lilith pointed out, triggering a scowl to come from Dad.

I did not believe her. After all, Nene…

But, but Nene loved me! Her light stopped while she was protecting me! I countered Lilith, who sighed, shaking her head before walking towards me.

Dad grabbed her arm, only for her to tug it away from him.

Geez, I won’t harm her. She’s the only piece left of our mother. The one thing I cared about. It’s past due that she knows some of her history. It will define her future. The elf huffed, turning back towards me.

At the time, I did not know, but she would also be one of the few who would love me.

Look, I know Edna wanted her to have the best childhood she could. But those only last as long as the peace. You know that more than anyone else. She continued.

Dad clicked his tongue, allowing her to pass by me. Slowly, she kneeled in front of me. Her eyes were cold. Yet there was a light in them when she gazed at me. Before I knew it, her hands touched my cheek.

It was the first time she had ever done so. For a moment, she sweetly caressed them with a small smile on her lips.

You look almost identical to her. Your father’s features ruin it, though. Lilith mumbled, before sighing.

Now, where was I? Ah, yes… That girl, Nene, was devoted to you because you’re the divine who gave her gift. She continued.

I grabbed onto her hand, not wanting to believe that.

But, but I’m not a goddess! I argued, triggering Lilith to scowl, gazing at Dad, who observed us.

Cain, you haven’t even told her. How do you expect her to stay safe? The annoyed elf huffed at Dad, who shook his head, slumping his eyes to the floor.

For a moment, he stayed there. Though it was not long until he glanced back at me with those blue orbs of his.

It hurt.

I’m sorry, baby girl. Dad apologized.

I shook my head, unable to understand why he did that.

You’re the reincarnation of a powerful divine, Vivian. The one that’s known as the book of life. Your Dad will tell you more when you calm down, but you should know that us mortals will always revere your kind. Lilith took the front.

And she was not done.

That was all the girl ever saw you as. These mortals would grovel for you because of it. But it will never be the true love you seek. Admiration and love are two different things, little sweet girl. Remember that. She held back no punches, causing me to weep because of it.

Nene did not love me. I could not believe that.

Lilith, I think that’s enough. Dad seemed to get upset by my wailing.

Sadly, it was out of my control. I could not keep my tears from coming down my cheeks. My hands and knees were still stung from the wounds I got from the rocks by the river, too. Noticing it, Lilith grabbed one of my injured limbs.

She cast a healing spell on it. Though it did not help for my sobbing. Her touch and magic were warmer than I thought they would be. Moon elves like her could heal any wound. Well, most, if one were too far gone.

Well, nothing could be done.

Cain, it’s time to stop pretending she’s a normal child. Shielding her will only hurt her. Trust me when I say it’ll mess her up even more when everything falls apart around her. Lilith chided at Dad who scowled at her in return.

I know it isn’t bad to not have love. I mean, I never had any either and look how great I turned out! She winked, turning back to me.

I knew nothing of her past. Yet she was trying to reassure me that everything would be fine. Dad, on the other hand, rolled his eyes at her.

You turned out just peachy. He grumbled.

Lilith pulled me into her embrace the moment all my wounds were gone.

It’s okay, little one, you’ll always have us. Lilith hummed, holding me.

Not happy with what she said, I pushed her away, running to Dad, asking him to be truthful with me.

*********

The memories of that night replayed in my head. Luckily, I had gotten to where I no longer shed tears because of it. I did not cry for anything. Lilith was right, after all. They did not make me for love.

No, I was a thing that clung to life. Dad and Lilith were all I had, along with the eternal witches and other witchcraft users that worked under them. Though they were only faithful followers that ran to us because they were hunted.

They all sought me like I was some kind of savior. Pathetic, really. It was almost unfair too. Though that was something Dad tried to get a handle on. I only focused on myself. My mission was to stay alive.

I was so deep in my thoughts that I did not notice Lilith come into the room.

“Vivian, are you ready?” the elf sighed from the door, noticing I was still laying on the bed.

Her voice snapped me out of my daydream, though. It was not like I was not ready. Unlike my younger years, I learned how to care for myself. I loathed when anyone did anything for me too. A lot had changed since my innocence was ruined.

Today was the day that I would meet my fate once again, too. This time, though, it was not a surprise but planned. Slowly, I got up from the bed to gaze at the beautiful elf that stood by the door.

She had not aged a day. Neither had Dad. It was because of what they were… homunculi made to protect me. Even though my father brought me into this world along with my other mortal mother.

My soul was ancient in comparison. Or so they told me.

“It’s time?” I mumbled, unsure if I wanted to go anymore.

But if I did not. My story would end soon. Well, probably. It was something I could not allow to happen. Even if my life was meaningless, I refused to bow down to fate.

“Yes, Vi, it’s time. Your father’s waiting for you downstairs.” Lilith informed, walking away.

I stood up, fixing any wrinkles in my clothes, before heading downstairs. There was where I saw Dad, who was gathering a few of our girls. It seemed everything had gone according to plan.

“Vivi, morning.” Dad greeted me with a slight hug.

I smiled at him. The only man who would ever gaze at me with those gentle, loving eyes. Even though my soul was ancient, I was still his daughter in blood. And in my mind, he was the only parent I ever had.

“Morning, Daddy.” I smiled back, trying to hide the nerves that wanted to flow out of me.

Though if I showed them... no one would care. Not a single soul had tried to get to know me. The real me, at least. And who was that? I did not know. All I ever played was my part, and that was it.

I would let anyone label me for themselves. If I were a god, I was one. Same with a monster. Too many masks I wore to this day. Dad turned towards the other girls, who waited for their introductions.

There were two facing me.

“Let me introduce you to your partners in this endeavor. These two girls are Zoe and Emma. They’ll be working with you to protect the two twins.” Dad introduced the duo.

They would be my associates in crime.

Unimpressed…

Slowly, I bowed to them, and they responded the same. However, their eyes showed something towards me I could not quite identify. Both girls were eternal witches. Though mixed in blood, making their power but a simple fraction of what it could have been.

Zoe had green eyes with red hair, while Emma was dark skin, curly blond hair, and blue eyes. They were both beautiful girls, but none would rival my appearance. It was not because I was full of myself.

No, it was because of what I was. Pureblood eternal witches were the messengers of the gods, making them semi-divine beings. However, this body of mine held a celestial being as well. I was one of those things.

A god in a mortal body, making my features flawless. A curse to me. Though, to others, it might have been a blessing.

“Greetings lady, Vivian.” The girls responded, bowing.

I gazed towards Dad, whose eyes seemed tired.

Has he rested at all these days?

That probably was also my fault. Dad and Lilith both were made to make sure the gods would stay in their realms. My mortal mother, Edna, made a crystal core for them from shadow beast. The soul of dead god-like beings she captured long ago.

She turned Lilith and Cain into homunculi by imbuing the core she made with their hearts. Essentially, she made them into demigods too. These two were hard to kill, thanks to that. And they were immortal unless they removed their core from their bodies.

It also allowed them to use the soul cairn. A special realm the gods made for the spirits of dead gods. It was their way of making sure nothing would ever revive them. Too bad it did not work as they intended.

After all, the elves got into their realm and morphed some souls, imprisoned there, into god artifacts. Some other things happened, but that was not my story to tell. All I cared about was how my father and Lilith had to travel around the world.

They had to check if any cracks appeared to allow the living gods to leak into our world. For the time being, it seemed like they were sticking to the celestial plane, but that could change at any minute.

Rifts were unexpected things.

“As you know, you three will start working in the vampire’s royal castle in Night City today. Loki and Oswald have been there for the past five years. The tensions for the throne got higher because of Asher’s sickness.” Dad paused, shaking his head.

He was not a fan of this plan, but there was no other way. I was the only one who could change their fate.

“While you know Lilith and I can’t get near there because of how easily we would be detected so, I’ll need to send you in to make sure that the last prediction, Edna had about their future, doesn’t happen.” He informed us of our current mission.

Loki and Oswald, also known as Oz, were the two boys who ran into me that fateful day six years ago. Even though we were supposed to meet until much later. Or Dad at least planned it so. Sadly, fate was a fickle little thing that brought us together before it was the right time.

Just like he said, mother had predicted Loki’s death at the hand of their half-brother, Alistair, because of the rivalry of the throne.

Why? Aren’t they family? Some might ask. Well, greed usually fueled everything in this world of ours. It all began when the vampires lost their magic. How did this happen? They angered their living god, Mulriac.

In retaliation, this divine withdrew his blessing from them. It left the race to wither away their magic to the point they could only control blood. So why would Loki and Oswald be in danger? Well, Loki was the first vampire to have magic in thousands of years.

Why? Because his mother was the strongest witch ever born. This woman called Vera possessed the power to control the soul cairn too. It came naturally to her, unlike my father and Lilith. The same grave that allowed the elves to make those powerful artifacts.

Along with my connection to the boys, it nurtured Loki’s magic towards an exponential rate. It was supposed to remain sealed until we were older. Mother hoped it would last long enough to pass the time of the crown’s descendant.

Sadly, our little fateful encounter released the bonds’ hold on their power. It also set the timeline back in place. I was unaware, but my power awakened Loki’s wings, something that should have been impossible.

Those appendages were the first thing Mulriac ripped from the vampires. But I was stronger than any of the living gods. The bond that connected us awakened the poor boy’s powers to the time before they were gone. Oswald’s connection to the soul cairn also increased.

Those two boys were more powerful than they were supposed to be, thanks to me. According to Dad, I was also the reason the eternal witches got their time magic back too. I was the gift that kept on giving.

These two boys were too much for the half-breed Rem and her lover Lycan to control, too. Reports said Loki hurt one of their girls by accident. It marked the end of their trips around the world. Well, for the twins, at least.

Both Loki and Oswald surrendered themselves to the vampires. His power was too strong to control when he was young. It was why they turned to the vampires, who were immune to their magic. Something Asher, king of the vampires, wanted all along.

He wanted to get his hands on the rogue boy that had been on the run for years. Loki was his grandson by blood. Leonard, one of the strongest vampires ever to exist, was the boys’ father. Even though Night City marked danger for Loki, it was also the safest place for him.

Oswald, who was a human boy even though they were twins, also stayed behind with his brother. We did not know if Loki and Oz were aware of their predicament or what awaited them. Sadly, our information was limited.

That was all father could gather up to this point. By now, Loki learned to control his blood magic. But he never used it. It was said he did this so he could hurt no one again. Sadly, thanks to his power, they named him one of the crowned princes.

The queen and king did this so Loki could not leave the castle as easily. This made Alistair look like he was second class compared to Loki, too. Even though his younger brother came from a human mother.

Of course, even with the change in plans, the woman, Rem, would come frequently to check on the twins. Fortunately for me, her work to purge the demons that emerged from the soul cairn. It kept her away most of the time.

I, on the other hand, had my life tied to them. If they died, so would I. Mother had done this so the gods would not find me. But it also placed me in harm’s way. I guess she hoped I could stop their deaths from happening.

I did not know my mother’s reasoning for this. Even though I did not understand it, I had to protect the two twins if I wanted to live. I had one goal, kill the half-brother to save them, or save them without murdering anyone.

The second choice would be optimal. It was the only one that would not incur the wrath of the vampires onto us. Even though I was not sure which would be best. I guess, if I had no choice, then I would kill the brother, but something about the entire thing was off-putting.

“Are you sure you want to do this, Vi? If you aren’t, I can send someone else.” Father sighed, turning back towards me, grabbing my hands into his.

He was worried about my well-being. But I…

“I’m sure, father. After all, what’s better at changing fate than a goddess herself. I can’t leave this to anyone else.” I assured him of my conviction.

Though, he seemed unpleased by my response. He probably wanted to keep me locked up and safe, but that would help no one. I would not sit by and wait for my death at the hand of a jealous maniac, either.

No… I rather play with the pieces myself even if it endangered me.

“Lady Vivian, we’ll be at your service and even die for you if needed.” Zoe and Emma reassured me, leaving me not knowing how to feel about that.

So many had already died for me. I did not know how to feel about the concept of death. Mortals were fragile, just like my body was.

Am I the only one afraid of death? Why would they be willing to die for me? Heck, why would anyone die for me if asked? Because of what I am? I...

That did not please me at all. After all, a useful pawn would be nothing if they stopped existing. Lilith taught me that.

Yes… all of them are pieces to be used. It doesn’t matter if they croak.

“Hopefully, it won’t come down to that.” I smiled, thinking that would be what they wanted to hear.

My words caused their eyes to sparkle. To them, I was their beloved deity. Lilith was right. She always had been. Thankfully, I had gotten used to that thought throughout the years I was under my father’s and her care.

The elf made sure I would be ready for anything that needed to be done. My hands were stained red in more ways than I knew.

“Oh, lady Vivian!” the girls swooned.

I struggled to smile, not feeling happy about their response towards me. I wished they would treat me like a normal mortal.

Ah… This is awkward.

One thing I learned from the things Lilith and Dad were that I also had to be careful to love. This was because gods should never show affection towards mortals. Why? Because it affected us differently.

Lilith put it… You gods have a twisted way of showing your love.

Those words stuck in my heart. It was hard when I tried to feel indifferent to everyone around me. Including Dad and Lilith, even though they had already become important to me. They were the only beings that would rescue me for me.

Perhaps… it was because I was my mother’s legacy, and she also gave them life. But I tried not to think like that. Though it would creep up on me.

“Now, Vi, I don’t have to tell you twice, but avoid Rem, Alijah, and Tania at all costs. The kids might not remember you.” Dad warned, holding tighter onto my hands.

It triggered me to sigh. The silver-haired hybrid, luma, with brown strips and purple eyes. She was the only one who could destroy me if she saw me. Even so, I knew that if she attacked, it would not be fatal.

Well, until the bond that held the twins and me together was released. Then there was the black hair Lycan, Alijah, the hybrid’s husband. Even though wolves were scary beings in my eyes, they also had fluffy tails and ears.

The fluff made me want to touch them at least once in my life. Though if that would be a thing I experienced remained to be seen. Tania was the beautiful black hair with red eyes vampire that attacked us that day.

She, without a doubt, would recognize me. I still remembered the ways her eyes locked with mine that day. Surely, she would be one I had to get rid of as soon as I could. Especially if she posed a threat to my identity.

Though I was small then. Perhaps I was overthinking it. Or maybe it was the vengeance filling me.

“I know. Dad, I’ll be careful.” I simpered.

It caused his blue orbs to narrow. Like I said before, my hands were already stained with the blood of many. Lilith showed me what I would have to do if I were ever cornered. She made sure that I would not hesitate to take a life if needed.

Though part of me wished I did not have to. Even then, it would not be something I would shy away from. Before we were found by Rem, my mother wished for me to live a normal childhood. A wish my father almost accomplished.

The keyword was almost. Edna hoped I would never have to kill to survive, but that was how this world was. My power was something I would have to use moderately. Not because it posed a threat to me, but because I could destroy the realm in a blink of an eye.

Especially if I were not careful with my emotions. It was why I always wore the brooch that kept my magic in check. Dad also told me to never go full out or else my body might not handle that amount of power.

Some may ask, why leave Rem alive when she posed a danger to me? This was because she was the only one who could help me fight the living gods. Rem was the reincarnation of Fenrir, the god of war and the one who created all Lycans.

She and her husband, another reincarnation, would be an asset against the gods if they were descended for me. After all, even though I had power, a simple incantation could stop me. That simple chant would bind me to their will. One I did not remember.

Back when I was a book, all I could do was show them the future. But now... I would not want to live through the destruction that they could possess if they grabbed a hold of me. Of course, my mother placed many contingency plans to keep me safe if that scenario ever arose.

But if they worked, that would be another matter entirely. Even though my mortal parents were Edna, an eternal witch, and Cain a warlock, turned into a demigod. My actual parents were Orenz, the god of destruction and chaos, and Aster goddess of order and creation.

They were the source of my true power. Even though the other gods were also made from them, Orenz and Aster never made a being together. That was until they accidentally made me. In my previous life, I was a book.

It seemed my parents only intended me to be a tool without realizing they created a being in it. I was a book that had the soul of a divine stuck within its pages. Edna saved me from my fate and placed me in a mortal body.

Apparently, it was because it was what I wished for it. Though I did not have a single memory of my past life or of my time with her. All I knew was what I was told or read from the records. Perhaps that was where most of my nightmares arose from.

I could never remember them when I woke up, though. The only ones I could recall were the ones that plagued my current life, like when Nene lost her light and my first kill. Most of the moments I took a life still plagued my mind.

Did I have to? Should I have done it? Life and death... Did I have the right to take it?

“Vi, if anything goes wrong, don’t hesitate to turn that place into a graveyard,” Dad sighed, placing a silver bracelet on me.

It was an enchanted one. If I ever ripped it off, he would surely rush to my side to save me. Even so, by the time he got there. It would probably be too late. Taking a life was not something I was looking forward to, but it would be something I could do if needed.

“I know, Daddy, if anything I’ll just destroy everyone there and take the boys captive,” I reassured, triggering him to nod, relieved to hear me say that.

Worry still flowed in his eyes when I bowed to bid farewell. I had to or he would continue attempting to convince me to stay. We had to get moving if we were to make it on time for our debut as maids.

Before I could take another step, suddenly he pulled me from behind, into his arms, holding me close to his chest. His heart was beating so fast. He cared about me.

“Vi… Please be safe.” Dad hesitantly let me go.

I spun around, pressing my hand into his chest. The one that would never allow him to age or die. At least he would always keep me company, along with Lilith, who stood by the stairs. She never was one for cuddles or farewells, but she always was there for me.

The one taught me what I needed to survive in this world where I was prey and the hunter. Who knew it would be this hard to leave them? My heart ached.

“I’ll be fine. Who knows, possibly I find a hobby or something that makes me happy there.” I smiled.

My words caused him to wince, shifting his gaze away. Something that makes me happy would probably be the end of me. He and I knew that very well. Even so, I could wish.

“Okay, go before I regret sending you away,” Dad mumbled, opening a dark portal behind us.

I turned away from him without looking back. I was ready for this moment. This mission was one that I could not fail. My life depended on keeping both boys alive. I placed up my hood, heading out, followed by Zoe and Emma.

The portal let us out by an alley near the castle. Luckily, no one was there at the time we arrived, or else we would silence them. I did not hesitate to walk out into the city where it was always night. Another thing that benefited our arrival.

I mean, it was called Night City because of its eternal night sky, the vampire’s capital. The reason there was no sunrise was a special magical artifact. It was kept within the depths of the castle where the royal families lived.

The artifact created a barrier that blocked out the sun, making it night all day long. Something that vampires flourished in too. They were stronger at night than during daylight. Not that they would turn into ashes under the sun, but their powers were halved.

The city and castle themselves were made from stone, with a medieval vibe coming from its design. Though, technology was plentiful everywhere. Even so, vampires loved their old traditions. So, it fit the whole theme of the city.

There were no illegal cars like in Celestelia, though. Just an airship dock by the cities’ edge. On the walls of the castle, they had banners in the entrance. A black wing symbol that matched perfectly with its white background.

Going up the stairs towards the door of the palace, I spotted the number one person; I had to avoid. Rem and Alijah were both by the bridge connecting the castle to the city. I was wearing a necklace that would help me hide my easily identifiable aura from her. But even so, it was best not to linger near them.

Luckily, they seemed distracted when a young black hair Lycan girl with an eye patch joined them. On Alijah’s shoulders, though, was a little girl with black hair. Her eyes were amethyst colored, and she seemed to have a tail. But she was missing her iconic fluffy ears.

Ah… that has to be…

According to my father’s information, Rem and Alijah had another baby girl. A luma, who was five years old. Her name was Luna. Uninterested in what they were saying, I kept walking towards the entrance.

There two guards, a human and a vampire stopped us. They were checking everyone who tried to get in.

“Excuse me, ladies, where do you think you’re going?” the human asked, triggering Zoe to take the lead.

She was the one who had all the papers in hand. Papers that took months to forge.

“Oh, we’re new employees that’ll start today.” She answered, taking off her hood, allowing the guard to identify her with the identifications.

He seemed to blush because of it, too. Zoe was a pretty girl. She tried to seem flirtatious to make sure that they would not read much into the fake ids. Especially mine. Even though we were using our normal names, our last names were not the actual ones we had.

“Oh, where’s the verification of employment?” the guard continued doing his job, eying down Zoe.

Her suggestive pose was working on them. I guess, partially exposed breast always helped too. She twirled her hair, smiling at them.

“Yes, here,” Zoe handed over the verifications.

They were sent to the address we listed somewhere in Night City. I was not involved with this part of the scheme, but I was aware it was from an ally who lived here. Well, owned a home here. Luckily, the only requirement for applying for this job was being a young female who could clean and cook.

Easy enough. Though it took me a bit of time to learn it. Well, all we had to send was a fake resume with a picture of us. Though the real reason they hired us was because of how pleasing we were in the eyes.

“Okay, can I see all your faces to make sure?” the guard glanced towards Emma, and me.

We did as he asked by taking off the hood we wore. The moment I did, his eyes widened before he eyed me down harder than he had with Zoe. It seemed like I was a sugary treat in his orbs. The two girls that came with me did not like it at all.

To them, he was a filthy man who should not have even been graced with my presence.

“Holy…” the man-sized me up.

I gazed at him, hoping he would not get closer to me. Luckily, Emma stood in between us to prevent that.

“Excuse me, I-I…” he stuttered.

The other guard grabbed onto his shoulder, eyeballing me too.

Disgusting…

I rarely ever interacted with men before this. Dad was probably the only one who I saw frequently. The other warlocks of the coven did not dare to gaze at me in fear of retribution from the women.

That or probably fearing Dad’s wrath.

“I think what my partner here wants to ask is for your number, beautiful.” The vampire rose a sly grin on his lips.

I politely tried to smile back at them.

Always be polite… It’s the best way to avoid trouble.

Especially so deep into the shit that was Night City. Rem and Alijah were not far from here, either. I had to be careful.

“I’m sorry. I don’t own a phone or anything like it. If everything’s in order, may we come in? It’s kind of chilly here.” I continued to smile.

I felt my muscles tire, too.

Hurry…

Sadly, I did not know if this was the right way to respond to these males. Though Emma and Zoe seemed to fume. I guess the warlocks back home had the right idea to stay away. The women revered me more than the men.

Not that Lilith would have allowed them to touch me without cutting their balls off first, too.

“Uh… yes.” The guard mumbled, saddened by my rejection, letting us in.

At least they were nice enough to back away and live another day. Though I had to control myself. Once inside, Zoe turned to Emma.

“How dare they talk to lady Vivian like that?!” Zoe growled, trying to hold in her discontent.

There were other people around us. Yet these two were too bothered by it.

“They’re pigs! See pretty women and think it’s okay to come at them! Like, what if we’re married or into girls?! The nerve! We’re here for “jobs” and they want to pick up the help?!” Emma grumbled, causing me to chuckle.

It quickly caught their attention. Their eyes glittered in response before they swooned over me again.

“It’s fine. And try to watch your tone. Vampires have pretty good hearing.” I sighed at their attempt to protect my honor.

Even though I was grateful if they behaved like this. We could catch trouble before we even began. In response, they apologized for their behavior. From there, we headed inside before being met with the head maid of the castle.

Other girls arrived earlier and later than we did. Once the group was completed, they took us to a room where we were to change into the correct uniform. Our clothes had been stored in a locker that each of us had.

They handed each of us a locker with a number, too. With a brief hesitation, I took off my clothes, causing Emma and Zoe to glare around me while I dressed. They were too overprotective. And it was only girls here, too.

Not that I could say that there were not some of them eyeing me down. But it was probably for different reasons than the earlier guards. Unless they liked women too. But their gaze was more welcoming. After all, they had the same things I did. I was more comfortable under their gaze.

Once clothed, we wore the standard servant dress they provided for us. It was a long black dress that almost reached the ankles. Long sleeves covered up to the wrist too. We also had white and black stockings to match the uniform.

The shoes were black leather, comfortable slippers that had a grip on them to prevent any accidents from happening. The dress also had what seemed like a white laced apron. It came down our shoulders and towards the bottom of the dress.

I had never worn a dress like this before. Especially one that had to be tied from the front. Though it was also beautiful and great quality cloth. They did not treat their servants like trash, at least. It was probably the most comfortable wear I ever had too.

After readying myself, I tied my wavy long hair up before placing the headpiece. A beautiful laced white headband that would keep our hair out of our way. The last thing I had to do was put an onyx ring that was given to us before I placed the brooch on my collar.

It was something I could never live without. The collar of the dress also hid my necklace. So, there was no harm in using it. All my other jewelry was not attention-grabbing, but I feared the employers might bitch because of it.

Hopefully, they would not. After that, I was finally finished. Zoe and Emma both squealed when I was done. Once again, they were again in awe of me. It was getting uncomfortable, but it seemed to be a baseline for them.

Daddy, did you make the right choice with these two girls? I’m not so sure.

“Oh my! I wish I had a phone to take a picture with! You look so adorable! I bet your dad would love seeing you in that!” Zoe gushed.

Emma walked over to me, suddenly undoing the tie on my hair. Before I knew it, I was a doll for her, fixing my hair better than before. The way she touched me with no fear was also surprising. Her actions reminded me of Nene.

An ache raised in my chest, causing me to grip onto it.

“It’s a shame to pick up your hair like that. Now that’s way better. Then again, you’re always adorable and beautiful!” Emma smiled, causing me to flush a little thanks to her suddenness.

It was the first time anyone called me that with no ulterior motives. Well, other than Lilith and dad.

“Thank you,” I mumbled.

They seemed pleased by my reaction to them. My hair reached my bum. Nene had always said that long hair always suited me best. So, I never cut it. Even if she never loved me because, for me, I still loved her. Dearly... She was my Nene.

The rest of the girls around us, though, were not happy with my appearance. I could hear them gossip a bit about me.

“What the fuck is that?”

“Is that even legal?”

“I bet she’s just a slut that wants to get in bed with one prince.”

“Maybe all of them if you ask me.”

“Isn’t that why everyone’s here in the first place?”

Gossip turned into an uproar. Everyone sized down each other like this was a competition. It was like a showdown was about to go off. I did not know what they were talking about. All I was here to do was keep Oswald and Loki safe.

Nothing else mattered.

“The nerve of these girls,” Emma grumbled, annoyed at the gossip that was directed at me.

Though, it included them too. I grabbed onto her hand, shaking my head. It almost looked like she was going to punch one or two if they did not shut up. The last thing we needed was violence or to be kicked out.

Again, I wondered if dad was okay in the head sending me with these two.

“Are you wimps done crying over each other yet?” the head maid announced her presence, causing everyone to shut up and gaze at her.

She was an older lady. Though her aura was one of strength. This woman was no pushover.

“My name’s Gerta.” The old woman identified herself, holding her hands on her waist.

She seemed to be a normal human. Yet there was a spark in her I had never seen before. It allured me somewhat. She had hazel eyes and grey hair that was neatly made into a bun. It probably had been black in her younger years.

“I know most of you here come with the intentions of wanting to get near the princes. But trust me when I say you won’t last a day here if you came with that mindset. Those brats are the most annoying ones I have ever met.” She declared.

There was not a hint of deceit in her words. And the way she spoke about them showed how well she knew them. She probably worked here all her life.

“Loki, Alistair, and Oswald are all assholes. They’ll make you all miserable if you let them. I know you girls won’t listen to me. But don’t say I didn’t warn you all.” Gerta snickered.

She was fully confident that we would all be gone by the time the week ended. Well, her experience told her that, but that would not make me back down. No matter what those boys did to me, I would stay until they were safe.

If anything, I would just take them back with me. Prisoners might have been the best fit for them.

“Well, it won’t matter. No one ever listens to little old me.” She repeated, acknowledging once again her belief.

“I’ll explain what happens next. The boys will choose their maids today. Unfortunately, I guess? The last ones quit, crying not too long ago.” The old woman crackled, remembering the mess that had happened.

“I feel pity for you sluts that want to come work here for those ungrateful princes. Sadly, they do not make them like before. The last good one was Leonard! Now that was a catch!” she paused, closing her eyes.

It still seemed like she mourned him. Servants were known for raising the young royals while their parents ruled over everything else.

“In peace rest his soul. He was the only worthy one to be called royalty in this entire castle.” Gerta continued to rant.

Some girls around the room seemed to roll their eyes at her. A sudden shock throbs through them, causing Gerta to smirk when they squealed in pain. Emma was one of the unfortunate girls to receive a shock, too.

Probably, she was thinking, why we had to hear this. After all, we did not come with the intentions of fucking the princes. Emma stared at the ring that had caused it. That was when I noticed it probably was enchanted.

Zoe tried to take it off, but could not. It seemed only one of the high-ranking staff could undo the binding. And it would probably be undone the day we quit or were fired. I could do it myself, but that would not serve my needs.

I needed to work here to get closer to these princes. The staffers probably thought only weak mortals would ever take these jobs. Though there were a couple of witches other than us there. It was human or vampires here.

“You seem to misunderstand something. If you came here to disrespect me or anyone from the royal family, you’ll receive a rude awakening. That was just a warning of the punishment you’ll incur if you piss off royalty or anyone of the high-ranking staffers.” Gerta warned, causing most of the girls to seem annoyed by it.

All we had to do was not piss anyone off. That was not something hard to do, right? Well… Perhaps, I was not the right person to answer. After all, Emma seemed about to blow because of it. But we had made our beds.

“The ring activates on itself, and it depends on your thoughts. Here the staff’s treated as such. We aren’t allowed to interact with royalty unless addressed first. It’s a warning because some of these royals see themselves as gods.” She carried on.

A soft smirk rose on my lips upon hearing that.

Of course, royals saw themselves as all-mighty beings. Oh, how I would love to crash their world.

“So, if you don’t want to get shocked, don’t address anyone who hasn’t addressed you. Simple really.” Gerta enjoyed our reactions.

I could not care less, though. All I had to do was to show no disrespect. Easy, right? I did not know what awaited me when I met the princes. Then again, this ring…

“That means you must follow every order. When I mean every order, I don’t mean spread your legs for them if they ask you. You can say no. The ring won’t activate if you feel threatened. It will alert help that you’re frightened. And they’ll fetch you.” Gerta sighed, shaking her head.

She knew full well that many of the ones who stood in front of her were probably there for that. Anything to claim fame, I guess.

“Sadly, I have a feeling you’ll do that out of your volition. Even so, you aren’t required to do so if asked. Remember, no is no. Neither are you required to feed them your blood. They have donors for that.” The old woman pointed out.

A relief for me. My blood… It seemed I did not have to make it taste bad on purpose. I hated those damn rose teas, anyway.

“So, please report any unwanted harassment that gets out of hand. Staff is staff, and if you complicate that relationship you’ll be let go.” Gerta informed.

“Well, I think that’s all I have to say to you. The rest is for you to find out. I really hope those princes don’t make a mess out of the ones they pick. Also, remember to address them as king, lord, prince, or master. An easy way for you to know they’re out of your league!” She crackled again.

More like they were out of mine.

Clapping her hands, she seemed to recall something else. “Ah, yes! Also, remember you’ll be living here from today on. Your uniform will be your daily outfit when you work here. It’s comfortable and if you want to customize it to your liking. You can. Of course, nothing that alters the appearance of the dress.” Gerta finished.

It was obvious she was not interested in us at all. Even so, I would try to prove the old woman wrong. I was not here because of a ridiculous reason such as mating. There were twenty girls in the room, ready to head out by the time Gerta was done with her monologue.

After that, they led us into the throne room, where Asher and the boys were waiting for us. The king seemed sicker than I thought. Although he had white hair to hide his age, his red eyes seemed tired of being open.

I guess his age was getting the better of him. Then again, royals also had a sickness that was hidden within their genes. It would usually activate in their fifties but sometimes earlier. Pure breeding was a nightmare for them, but it was the only way to carry over the blood control gene.

I guess that was why Loki was sought after. A new variation the inbreeding. I did not know if he carried that gene too, but at least his human mother made him more genetically diverse than Alistair.

For Oswald well, they hoped his child would breed more vampires with magic into the world. However, the boys that stood next to Asher were something else. Alistair, the eldest of the trio, had bright blue eyes with short black hair. He seemed to be an overconfident person who looked down on everyone around him. Including us when we walked in.

Loki and Oswald both had silvery-white hair. Their blue eyes had a squiggly purple circle around their iris. Other than their ears and fangs, they were identical twins. Loki was the one with pointy fangs and ears that resembled one of the elves, much like Lilith’s. Though, smaller.

Oswald was human in every sense of the word. Though his eyes and features were as beautiful as his twin’s. Another identifier was Loki’s hair that reached down to his neck. It curved thanks to his curls, too.

Oswald had long enough to reach his chest. It was probably curly too, but he had it up in a ponytail. Oz’s eyes, though, had dark circles around them too. If it was lack of sleep or something else, I would not know. The trio gazed at the girls like fun toys, who walked in.

Their familiars were with them too. Eli was around Loki’s neck while Zephier was on Oswald’s shoulder. Not knowing how to feel, I gazed towards the colorful windows in the room. It was rustic, along with the fancy way the throne room was.

There was a blue carpet leading to the most important chairs here. Yet the queen was missing. When the boys’ eyes fell on us, I could not help but shiver.

There’s no way they’ll remember me. Right?

I had never taken off my hood the entire time when we were kids. The only time it was off was when Rem held me up by my hair. But at that point, all the kids were looking away from me. Especially the twins that had been sent into agony because of the bond’s shift in power.

Then again... There was when Loki jumped to taste my blood. For a moment, I could feel my heart stop when we were lined up for them to pick whichever they liked best.

He was too young. There’s no way he’ll remember me.

Taking a deep breath, I tried to hold on to my nerves, gazing at the two boys I had to save. They were barely recognizable to me, even though I had seen them. If it were not for pictures that Dad showed me, I would have not realized it was them.

Especially Loki, who did not have his wings out. He could summon them at a whim, though. Usually, the clothes in his back had holes for them, too. I guess that was one way of identifying the twins, too. Well, if he wasn’t wearing a jacket over it.

“Well, I won the last match we had. So, I’m picking first this time.” Loki suddenly announced, standing up from his chair.

I felt my heart beat faster. This was the moment that was do or die. Zoe, Emma, or I had to be picked by him or Oswald. It did not matter who, just one of us. That was all I could hope for.

I did not care if Alistair picked me as long as one of them was picked by the twins. I would leave everything to fate though.

May... the bond that connects us leads him to me.

That was the last thought that left my mind when the boys bickered over it.

“Oh, so you finally want to go first. Heck, enjoy that victory while it last, little brother,” Alistair grumbled at Loki.

From what I had heard, Loki was the better swordsman too. Both in power and technique, he was superior to everyone. Much like his father before him.

“Like you’ll ever beat me, Alistair.” Loki snickered, full of himself.

He strolled down the line of maids soon after. The hostility between the two was apparent. At least that I could hint at. That was probably because they had grown thirteen years apart. Then the sudden appearance of his brothers, stealing his thunder right from his grip, did not help their relationship.

Though Alistair seemed far from a murderer. Then again, so did Asher, and he killed before. With my dad’s spies, we had gathered that Asher murdered Leonard’s mother to pass him as his current wife’s son.

The inbreeding had done more than manifest a disease. It had also made the females unable to bear children. Well, those who survived.

“We’re brothers. Can’t you two be more than oil in water?” Oswald sighed, rolling his eyes.

It caused Loki to turn back to him. The boys’ voices were pleasant on the ears at least, which was good since it seemed bickering was the norm for them.

“Weird? I thought we already did?” Loki smirked playfully at his twin, who frowned.

It made me wonder if they knew at all. Oz shook his head, leaving his brother to go back to assess us. My eyes wandered towards the ground thanks to the nerves that were becoming a bit too much to handle.

What if something goes wrong? Will I have to kill everyone here? Well, mostly everyone, since I can’t kill the brothers without destroying myself. But will I have to hold them captive? What will I use to do that? Is Rem still outside?

My only saving grace was that they did not know the incantation to bind me.

Although Rem... might know...

“Oi…” Loki huffed, directed towards me.

It triggered me to startle because of it.

Oh, did I fuck up already?

The vampire snapped me out of my train of thought. Slowly, I gazed up to meet with his eyes, who seemed intrigued by me. I never expected to see him this close up, too. Back when we were children, I never noticed his features. But this close, I could see he had a dark beauty mark on his bottom lip.

His orbs seemed like I was staring straight into the sky, too. He was beautiful.

“What on earth were you thinking about that you didn’t notice my arrival? You’re the first to not gawk at me while I walk.” Loki licked his lip, flashing his fangs.

He assessed my reaction, too.

Oh, this... I didn’t expect. Why is it getting hard to speak? Is it the bond?

Fighting off the knot that formed in my throat, I managed.

“Did I do something I was not supposed to do?” I tilted my head, confused by what he meant.

Burying my emotions down was one of my specialties. In response to my bewilderment, he smirked, getting uncomfortably close to me to get a better look. At that moment, Zoe snap a pencil she had in her hand.

“How dare he get close to my lady?!” was probably what was going through her mind.

If he were not the one we had to protect, she probably would have jabbed him with it by now. His eyes widened before a more defined smirk rose on his lips. In an instant, he pulled me by my dress to get closer to me.

His lips got closer to my ear. The moment his breath hit my skin, it triggered goosebumps to rise.

Does he not know about personal space?!? Is this a test because I zoned off?! Control it! Hide it! Don’t let it out!

“Your voice’s pleasing to my ears. I think I can get used to you waking me up every day.” Loki murmured, touching my ear with his lips.

“Your scent drives me a little wild too.” He smirked teasingly.

I took a deep breath and let it go before smiling at him.

Hold it… in Vivian… Don’t murder him yet… You can’t!

“If that’s what you wish, my prince. I would be glad to serve you with a wake-up call every morning,” I suddenly declared, triggering him to flinch away, unable to believe his ears.

I was probably the first ever to respond to him like that. Unfortunately for him, I was not about to follow along with his flirtations. The moment his eyes set on me again, they narrowed as his brows scrunched up.

Isn’t that the reaction he thought I would have? Did I say something wrong?

He seemed a bit annoyed. Or did he?

Oh, no… did I fuck up?

“Oi… Your smile’s so ugly. So fake.” Loki huffed, pressing my cheeks together.

This fucking brat…

I tried to keep smiling, trying to hold on to the fact that I should not disrespect any of them. I did not want a shock. Nor did I want to be thrown out of here. Then again, if it had to do with how I viewed them, then I probably would not get a shock.

To me, they were below me. Even so, being contemptuous would not help my cause. He was the first-ever to tell me that my smile was bogus.

How would you know?

It kind of annoyed me.

And fucking stop touching me!

I had to internalize everything.

Polite! Vivian, be polite!

“I’m sorry you feel that way. Would you like to teach me how to do it in a way that pleases you, my prince?” I suggested, triggering him suddenly to widen his eyes again.

Another smirk formed on his lips, like he found a pleasant toy to play with. Probably was wondering how far he could push me before I broke. A playful game of cat and mouse between him and me.

One that I would gladly partake in. As long as I was close to him. That was all that mattered.

“Oh, ho, I’ll teach you alright.” Loki bit onto his lip, eyeing me down before pulling me into him.

“I pick her and only her. I need no more maids.” He suddenly announced, holding me by my waist.

My face was too close to his chest. I felt my heart skip a beat.

This is too close… Too fucking close!

Though, it was the first time I smelled his scent. Cinnamon with vanilla. It was pleasant too.

“Loki, are you going to break her as you did with your last maid?” Oswald sighed, feeling sorry for me.

He walked over to the lineup to check his choice as Alistair did so, too.

“Break her? Perhaps. Will she break is the question?” Loki grinned at his brother.

It caused me to sigh, pointing towards where he had me hostage. My poor waist.

“Would you please let go of me, my prince?” I smiled.

It triggered Loki to frown, pulling me even closer. Grabbing onto my chin, he tugged me to meet with his gaze. Luckily, nothing happened when our skins touched. Well, nothing visible at least. It seemed the activation of the bond’s power was only a one-time thing.

Perhaps it was a good thing that it happened so long ago. Yet my heart was racing. Anything could go wrong at any point.

“The first thing I’ll break is that little smile of yours. It’s horrifying.” He assured.

Oswald walked over to us, gazing at the two girls, who were glaring at his unsuspecting brother. If looks could kill, Loki would be dead. Not that it bothered him, but it got Oz’s attention.

“Girl, are these two your friends?” Oswald asked, freeing me from Loki’s grip, who narrowed his eyes at Oz for doing so.

However, now I was hostage to him. This other twin held my wrist up. A sigh left my lips again. I gazed towards where Oz was looking to see Emma and Zoe. I had never met them before today. Yet… It would be better if we were together.

It could not hurt, right? And it seemed like Alistair made his choice, too.

“Yes, they are,” I mumbled, not knowing how they would feel being called my friends.

Oswald let me go, smiling at the two girls that caught his attention.

“Then I’ll pick you two. It seems it might be fun with the way you’re staring at Loki when he handles your friend,” Oswald smirked playfully.

The two girls quickly corrected themselves, bowing to him. That was all it took to snap them out of their rage.

“What? Oh! Sorry, prince, we meant no disrespect!” they both apologized.

Oswald chuckled, waving his hand. The whole time their familiars were staring at me. I could not help but feel a cold sweat break out. Especially Eli, who was sliding on my shoulder.

Surely... They did not recognize me. I had the necklace and all.

“No need for apologies or title for me. I’m just Oz to you, girls. I thought it would be fun. You seem overprotective of your friend here.” Oswald smiled.

I gazed away towards the ground, hoping the familiars had not recognized me. Even though that question lingered in my mind, there was no stopping the events that would occur. For some reason, the gears of fate were spinning again.

Everyone was about to get caught in the blast that would be this life.

 

 

 

This chapter serves as a fresh reminder of everything that has occurred as well as an outlook of where things are gonna go. This was also for any fresh new readers picking up a book from the Gate series for the first time.

Anyway! Happy new year to everyone!

2