Chapter 3: Start of something…
58 2 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Loki gazed at me, triggering me to avert my eyes towards Gerta, who walked over to us. It seemed she was going to save the day. Or at least for now. She was another person I had to be wary of, too.

"Young masters, I’m pleased you made your decisions." Gerta interrupted, bowing towards the young princes.

Unlike us, she showed full respect to the masters of this castle. Though she had a whole twist in personality. Emma grumbled under her breath because of the sudden change, too. Luckily, no shock came her way this time.

"Present yourselves to your new masters, ladies." Gerta poked us.

Emma and Zoe went first, and I went last. I was still trying to shake off Loki's playful nature. Though it seemed it was just the beginning.

"I’m Vivian, for your service, Prince Loki." I bowed to them, too.

It felt awkward introducing myself to my new boss like this. If only… He smirked, grabbing my chin once again, making me face him.

"Vivian, your name means life in Latin, the witch's tongue. Does that make you a witch?" Loki asked, wanting to figure me out from the get-go.

It was shocking how fast he caught on to my name. Usually, vampires were ignorant about witchcraft. He certainly was sharper and smarter than I thought. Softly, I pulled away from his grasp, smiling yet again, triggering him to frown.

He did not like my emotionless expression. Fake, he had called it. It was a first, but I did not care though. I did not know how to do it any other way.

"I was born from one, but sadly, I never received a grimoire. So, I’m just a normal human at your service, my prince. I hope that doesn’t bother you." I answered.

It was true. I never received a grimoire when my powers awoke because I truly was not a witch. I was something more. But for these mortals, I had to be something fragile. Something they could lower their guard on and not suspect.

Even though Loki seemed to want to say something else, Oz stepped in.

"Ah, another of my kin, how lovely. I also don’t have a grimoire." He noted.

His familiar tilted its head at me. I could not help but gaze away from it. Luckily, Eli had retreated from me the moment that Gerta came along. Usually, vampires did not have familiars, but Loki's origins made him a special case.

Much like Rem was with her hound familiar even though she was half Lycan. A species that did not possess magic. Well, until she came along. Though she got it through other means. Familiars were usually something only witches could possess, and only experienced ones at that.

But Rem, being a full hybrid, somehow got her sister's familiar when she expired. Vera was Rem's twin sister. Unlike Rem, though, she was a human that originated from Fenris, a Lycan, and Lilith, a human witch.

This technically made Loki a hybrid as well, but he had dominant vampire traits that made him indistinguishable from purebred unless tested. And even though he was not a warlock, somehow he got a familiar too.

Dad concluded it was because of the soul cairn energy that ran through the family. But Rem’s other brothers had not gained one either. Heck, even Rem had hers handed to her. The fact vampires were susceptible to magic also helped, probably.

Vera was also an eternal witch. Well, a dormant one. Rem's true origins were the reason those powers awakened in her. A disgrace since she was a hybrid with neither Lycan nor human dominant traits. Though her powers were weaker than mine.

Eternal witches were usually passed on if the gene had been activated in the past generation. And if they were human females. Much like genetic diseases ran in families, so did the trait to control time magic that our kin possessed.

For Vera, although her sister Rem inherited the activated gene, it remained off. Locking her time magic away from her. Probably too much Lycan in her. Yet Rem’s godly soul awakened the potential within her, even though she was a full hybrid.

Oz, on the other hand, being a male made him unable to be like me.

"You humble me, my prince, but don’t lower yourself to my level. I’ve heard you’re the most powerful warlock to have ever existed to this day." I assured Oswald, smiling even though I did not feel like doing so.

My muscles hurt from keeping it for so long. I knew very well what Oswald was capable of. His mother did not have a grimoire, either. Even though she was a by all accords a normal witch. She was the first witch to not have one and still be able to use her magic.

Though, unlike the other witches, she did not have to chant a spell for it to work. Something that was passed down to Oswald. The spells, though, still required sacrifices. Usually blood, like any other witchcraft incantation.

Witchcraft was built to sacrifice things for our spells. That was why witches usually carried small carving knives and flowers to use for spells. Zoe and Emma did so, and Oswald had a pouch on his belt that probably held blades in them.

I, on the other hand, was a completely other matter. My magic did not resemble a witch at all. No, it could do much more. And it was more than controlling time. Though both were things I prevented myself from doing at all costs. Not only was it dangerous, but it would attract the living gods to me. My true magic was too much for them to not notice.

For a moment, Oz’s eyes widened, smiling back at me.

"So, you did your research on us?" Oz asked curiously.

A better question would be, who did not know about this duo? Loki, the most powerful vampire known in ages. And Oswald, the first warlock, to have natural control over the soul cairns forces. Before him were Vera and Lilith, both females. Probably males all around the world basket in his glory.

There was no place in this realm where they had not heard about them. It was why all the girls in here were glaring at us. Especially me after Loki said he would only pick me. They were supposed to pick three girls each.

Not that it mattered to me. I did not come to have romantic relationships with these boys. No, all I wanted was for them to live so I could live too. If these other females wanted to feast on them, they could be my guest.

As long as they did not pose a danger to them.

"Of course, I need to know who I’ll be working for. It will enhance my ability to better serve them," I answered flawlessly.

Oswald seemed impressed by my demeanor towards them. He also had the same beauty mark as Loki, but above his lip rather than under it. I showed no hint of interest in him or his brother, unlike all the other girls who usually approached them.

Like Loki had said, I was not gawking at them. I was not the only one, though. Emma and Zoe were catching their eyes, too. They were also uninterested in them in that manner. Especially on Loki, who was part of the race that caused our downfall.

Though Oswald also had that same blood flowing within him.

"I see. I look forward to seeing you care for my idiot of a brother." Oswald simpered.

Emma and Zoe seemed smitten by his smile, though. They were two of the most handsome boys I had ever seen, too. But then they were boys, and I was a deity. No matter how lovely they appeared, I could never allow myself to fall for them.

Even if my mortal body desired kinship. Loki, though, did not seem happy to have been called out so rudely by his brother.

"Oi... Who are you calling an idiot, stupid- book nerd?" Loki pushed Oz a bit.

Oswald chuckled in response to his brother's light push. If his twin wanted to hurt him, he could easily break him. Luckily, they seemed close, which was good. The future that was seen said Loki would die with his half-brother.

All while Oswald would be locked up because of trying to kill the murderer. I had to protect them. By keeping Loki breathing and Oswald free. Softly, I gazed towards Gerta, who seemed to smirk at me, pleased by the answer I had given to the boys.

"Well, if I may interrupt, young masters. I’ll be giving these maids a tour of the castle. They’ll start with you tomorrow if that’s alright." Gerta informed the two boys, who seemed to bicker among themselves.

Loki scoffed at her, not liking what she had said before, gazing back at me. The moment his eyes set on me, I felt like I was in the spotlight again. Nothing good would come.

"Heh, more like tonight. I expect you in my room at nine. Got it?" Loki declared with a sly smile on his lips.

I tried to stay steady.

Why would he need me so late in his room for? Such a chore…

"Ah, do you need help with something for tonight, my prince?" I politely smiled.

He narrowed his eyes, not liking my smile yet again. Should I have been feeling something when I did so? Was that what I did wrong? I guess because all I felt was an empty void in my chest. Ever since I knew my life would not be one filled with normal things.

Ever since I knew I would never experience the love, I always wanted to feel because of what I was.

I want to hug you! A blurry memory I did not recognize passed through my mind. I found myself confused.

To whom... did I say that to? Surely... they weren’t around anymore.

"I can think of a few things." Loki snapped me out, causing my body to tremble a bit.

It was not because of what he had said. No, I felt no malice from his words or behavior. But I also knew he was not a saint from what Gerta said earlier. And how he acted told me everything I needed to know about this vampire.

Though his brother Oswald was still a mystery. I had not met someone so hard to read before. Even so I...

"Well, if they’re within my power." I agreed to meet him tonight.

It triggered Gerta to sigh, shaking her head, knowing something I did not.

Well... There is no better way to find out than to walk straight to it, right?

"Oh, they are, sweetheart." Loki snickered, enjoying what he had planned for me.

When he finally turned away from me, I felt I could breathe freely. With those last words, we were let go. Gerta gave the chosen maids a tour through the castle. Alistair chose three maids of the seventeen girls that were left after Loki and Oswald picked. Alistair's choices were a human, Quinn, who had dyed blue hair and brown eyes. A vampire with red eyes and blond hair named Ivy. And another vampire named Emery, who had hazel eyes and brown hair.

By some stroke of luck, everything worked out perfectly for us. It seemed fate wanted me together with the twins. That or they realized something about us I did not pick up on. Something I would have to watch for since Oswald seemed to be keen.

Though his brother was a bit more carefree. After being shown every inch of the castle, we were given a tablet with a digital map on it to use for reference. With it, we would learn the layout of the building.

When the tour concluded, Gerta showed us to our new living quarters. It was one we would share with the other chosen maids. Why? Because we were probation l maids. Gerta did not believe we would last over three days at most.

You sluts will have to earn your place here. Either because you a masochistic or sadistic. We shall see. According to her, we had to stay here for an entire month. This was to see if we would stay in the castle at all.

It was spacious for us six girls to use too. They had prepared for nine. Three beds would be unused. It was not like it matter to me. Moving around in the shadows was way more cramped up than this room.

The moment Gerta left for the night, though, tensions rose inside the room. The girls all sized each other up like this was some competition. Emma and Zoe could not hide the discontent of the two princes, either.

"How dare that bastard touch my Vivian like that!" Emma tried to not say it too loud to piss off the other girls that glared at us.

In their eyes, we were ungrateful after being picked by the most sought-after royals. This world differed completely from where we came from. And Emma’s possessiveness over me was normal. I was their adored goddess.

"She isn't yours, Emma," Zoe sighed, picking our beds for us.

Her voice was strained with annoyance, too. These two girls... was it alright to bring them along? Back in the throne room... Perhaps I should have ignored them.

"It’s fine. Remember why we’re here." I simpered, trying to quell her anger.

Once she saw my smile, she changed tunes faster than lighting could strike. Unlike Loki, they seemed to enjoy any smile I mustered up.

Why did it bother him so much?

"How are you such a saint?!" Emma seemed to swoon over me again, plopping on the bed.

Saint?! Something is wrong with this one.

I sighed, sitting on the bed Zoe picked out for me. We were in one corner of the room. I laid in between them for better protection. Well, according to them. I did not need any protection. Unlike, I tried to seem; I was not harmless to mortals. Especially when they did not know my binding.

In fact, I did not even know my binding. My mother made sure no one knew it. Though... Dad said it was written in her grimoire, which was in Rem's possession. Luckily, it was sealed with my magic, though. Not even Alijah could null it.

Though it was rumored that Rem had some of her past life's memory. If it contained the incantation. Then I had to fear her just because of the if.

"Emma, chill a bit. You’re going to make our roomies have an aneurysm." Zoe pointed out.

The glares we were receiving from the other three girls in the room stacked up. Not wanting to deal with it, I studied the map we were given, laying on the bed. On the occasion, I needed to navigate these halls without being found by Rem or Tania. I needed to know every nook and cranny disposable for me.

My primary goal was to have no contact with them. Though, as long as I did not get close enough to them. Surely, they would not notice me. But even then, I needed to know every getaway I had at my disposal.

Emma and Zoe unpacked our things when suddenly one girl took my tablet out of my hands. It triggered me to glance up at them. Ivy’s red orbs were dead set on me. Although she was a vampire. It was obvious she was no royal.

And only those in the royal family could control blood. So, there was no reason to fear her. Though, with royals, one had to be aware of the death zones. They could easily bleed anyone out that stood in them.

With normal vampires, well, they could barely control blood. Even so, I could not afford to let my cover be blown. I was just a human. A weak mortal with no way of fighting off a vampire. After all, they had the same strength as a Lycan even in this horrible state.

If... only I could fully act as I should, but I could not feel the fear she wanted me to have.

"Oh, look at you being so obedient. I bet you’re so happy Loki picked you." Ivy fumbled with the tablet in her hands.

Her words caused me to tilt my head, confused by why she interrupted me.

Is she jealous? Or happy for me? Hmm... Probably the latter, but I... can’t care less.

This mortal was playing with fire.

"Oh, I’m happy I got picked by him." I smiled, trying to stay polite.

Though, I also wanted to be condescending. I did not want any trouble. Though I also wanted to piss her off for interrupting me. Even so, I did not want to deal with her. So, I thought agreeing with her would shut her up the fastest.

After all, how can some argue if there was no argument to be had? All I wanted to do was focus on saving the troublesome vampire that Loki turned out to be. She scowled at me soon after those words left my mouth.

Emma and Zoe tried not to snap at the vampire that was confronting me.

"You disgusting bitch. How about you tell me how many men groveled over and under you? Must be a blessing with how you look." Ivy smirked, thinking she might have hit a nerve.

I continued to smile. Her words meant nothing to me. My beauty was nothing but a curse for me, too. Something that they, for some reason, would envy over. Lilith already prepared me for all of this, thankfully.

It was nothing to lose my cool over. Especially when I never had a man to begin with. No mortal was worthy of me. And what this lonesome girl felt came from an ugly emotion that I could not allow myself to be engulfed in.

If she wanted Loki in that way, I had no intention of stopping her. The twins could fuck whoever they wanted as long as they were breathing. That was all that counted for me.

"Excuse me? I can’t quite follow what you are saying. I have never had any men in my life, nor am I interested in the princes. If that’s what worries you, then you should find solace. You can have them. Is that okay with you, Ivy?" I answered.

My words caused her eyes to narrow in disgust.

Ah... I pissed her off.

Her hand raised into the air, eyes reflecting pure anger. They were nothing compared to Rem's glare that was burned into my mind. Her hand swung down when Emma grabbed onto her before she could hit my face.

I had not even noticed when she got close enough for that.

"How about you back the fuck off her, sister?" Emma chided at Ivy, who pulled her hand away, throwing the tablet onto the bed next to me.

Instinctively, I picked it up without a care in the world of what almost happened. Without knowing it, Emma probably saved that girl's life. In return for being rescued, Ivy grumbled under her breath, rejoining the other three girls.

Who would have guessed climbing social ranks would be so important to mortals. Emma glared at her from where we were. She was not the only one too. Zoe was holding her small knife in her hands.

They were both ready to protect me from a slap a bit too much. Nothing Ivy could do to me would hurt me as much as that day six years ago. Though the two girls protected the vampire from losing a hand and my cover.

For that, I was grateful.

Perhaps they aren’t as useless as I thought.

"Emma, you’ll get shocked again if you keep acting like that," I warned, scrolling over the tablet.

It triggered her to turn to me with puppy doll eyes. She wanted to go after them, but that was not our aim. If they figured out, she was an eternal witch. Surely Zoe and I would follow.

That would end up in me having to destroy everything. It was something I wanted to avoid, but would not hesitate to do. Then again, I was about to rip the girl's handoff. Emma saved me, but I could not allow her to know it.

I as well needed some self-restraint.

When did I get riled up? Pathetic...

"But, but!" Emma pleaded with me to let her roam wild.

I shook my head, taking a soft glance at her. She was easy.

"I don’t want you to get shocked again, okay?" I simpered, trying to get her to back off.

Their genuine concern touched me, but I knew it was because of what I was. A deity to worship. The one who gave them their magic back.

"Oh... Oh! You’re my goddess!" she squealed, engulfing me in her arms.

For a moment, I was surprised. I could not help when a small chuckle erupted from my lips. This girl was too much. She was the first one ever to touch me from the coven. Well, other than Nene and Lilith.

The moment I did, Zoe and Emma both gazed at me, amazed. It even surprised me. I had not laughed like this since Nene.

"Adorable, Vivi, you’re adorable!" Zoe swooned before I found myself in another warm embrace.

Though part of me enjoyed being smothered by the two girls. Even though it felt nice, I could not confuse it with what actual love would be like. These two only cared for me because of what I was.

I did not remember when it happened or how to undo it. Heck, I did not even know how I granted Loki's power, either. Nothing of my past life was assessable to me. Yet the blurry memory from earlier still lingered in my mind.

To whom... did I say that to?

No matter what I tried. Nothing would pop into my mind. Instead of getting stuck in that rabbit hole. I focused on studying the map after I was free of the girls, wanting to memorize the layout before going to Loki's room tonight.

This was easy for me. Being on the run for so long had one good quality. It had turned me into a cunning and smart woman. Dad always taught me how to analyze a situation, while Lilith showed me how to get out of them.

Though her way usually ended with blood flowing. On the other hand, Dad’s method was always risker. I hoped it would not turn into that. Though, thanks to them both, I knew how to survive anything. Especially in the array of stolen books Dad had.

By the time night fell, I had already learned the map. Even though, I would take the tablet with me. It was what we would use to order anything we or the princes needed. We had already eaten and showered for the night, too.

Our clocks usually ended around seven unless the royals needed us. When it was close to nine, I stood up from the bed, heading towards the door. Though Emma tried to get me to stay in the room. To them, it was not safe to be out alone at night. Even though in night city it was an eternal night.

I assured her I would be fine, but I guess the lack of staff and roaming enemies in the castle scared them. Not to say the vampires that would suck blood if they could. Luckily, it became a crime to get one's blood sucked out without consent.

Not that it mattered. All I had in mind was completing whatever task the princes had for me. That and coming back to the room. However, this did not stop them from following me when I headed towards the prince's room.

The girls really would not leave me be. I hesitated before knocking on the door. One reason was the girls that glared at every little thing that passed by. But the real reason I was nervous. I did not know what to expect from this vampire that seemed intent on testing me before.

Especially when Loki wanted me alone for the night.

Were they suspecting something? Had they noticed? Or had their familiars? Shit...

I had not a choice. Pushing past the emotions that were threatening me from going on, I knocked on the room's door. Pulling my hand away from it, I waited a couple of seconds. They felt eternal, especially when he finally answered the door.

"So, you came," Loki smirked, pleased.

His bluish orbs, though, quickly traveled to the two intruders that were peeking from the corner. I hesitated to follow his gaze, knowing they were there.

What a disgrace.

At least it helped with my nerves.

"Of course, we’re a full-day service. If you need me even after hours, I have to be here for you, my prince. Though I’d appreciate it if this doesn’t become a habit." I smiled, trying to remain professional.

That was when Loki suddenly pulled me into his room. At that moment, even though I did not have super hearing. I heard Emma and Zoe gasp behind me when the door slammed closed behind me.

My heart stopped falling against his chest thanks to the force he used to drag me in. The white blouse he wore had the same cinnamon spice with a mix of vanilla from before. It hit my senses almost to the point of overwhelming them.

The vampire also wore black sweatpants. Probably his sleeping wear, unlike what he had this morning. It had a more royal formal flare. We were also not alone. I saw Oz from the corner of my eye when Loki yanked me in here.

Just what are these two boys planning?

My nerves skyrocket, causing me to freeze where I was.

"Yo, your annoying maids are outside. You probably should have invited them too, for the fuck of it." Loki informed, holding me close to his chest by the back of my head.

This was not good for my poor maiden heart. I did not understand why it was beating like this either. It never had before today. Then again, it was the first time since that accident when I fell on him. That I was so close to a male other than my father.

Why is it always him?

His scent was nice too.

Wait... Why did I think that?!? Oh, fuck no! Get your head in the game, Vivian!

"Have you seen how those two care for her? They wouldn’t have allowed you to get near her if they were here." Oswald chuckled, remembering the death glares Emma and Zoe gave Loki.

That was the only reason he picked them, too. Oz sat on a chair by a writing desk, watching what unfolded in front of him. After all, his brother still had me against his chest, which slowly raised and fell with each breath he took.

Somehow, I found my voice.

"Prince, would you please kindly let me go? You’re kind of suffocating me." I mumbled, trying to keep my emotions internalized.

That was when Loki finally noticed where he had me. Somehow, the vampire had not even noticed until I spoke that I was so close to his chest. His cheeks turned a light shade of pink when he let me go.

Though it was only for a second. I guess the bond between us was powerful. Holding me so protectively, without even knowing, I had to be more careful. Though thanks to it, he had picked me. Probably...

"Oh, you’re still holding into character?" Loki quickly recovered from that blunder/

I tilted my head, confused by what he meant by that.

Character? Is there a play going on? I’m just trying to stay in control. I guess I am. Wait... did he notice? How deep am I in this hole?

For a moment, I felt my heart sink to my shoes.

It can’t be over that quickly. Can it?

Oswald tapped his fingers on the table.

"Hm... I’m interested too." Oz announced, catching my attention.

He licked his lips, eyeing me down as well.

They won’t dare... Will they? No, this is a test... Surely...

They had to have been testing me to see what intentions I had for them. For a moment, I was lost in what was going on, but soon I would find myself.

"Hey, little chick. You’re probably the prettiest girl we have ever laid eyes on. So, I have an offer for you." Loki traced his hand on my arm, triggering me to gaze at him.

Oh, fuck… This can’t be happening.

What a devilish smile he had planted on his face, too. Those blueish purplish orbs seemed cold, though. He did not care if I got hurt by his actions or not. It alerted me to this being much more than it seemed.

"Offer?" I mumbled, unsure what the vampire was going to say.

Or better yet, hoped he would steer away. Oz got up from the chair, strolling over to me too. He also traced over my other arm.

These boys...

Before I could finish that thought, Loki grabbed me by my chin, forcing me to face him head-on. I would turn my gaze away from him whenever I could, but this time I could not. Though I wanted to tear my eyes away when Oz held me by my hips.

"Yeah, I have the perfect offer for you, sweetheart. How about you go into the bathroom and put on what we left there for you? After you do, come back out so you can hear more about it." Loki licked his lips, allowing me to see his fangs for a split second again.

That bite…

Letting go of my chin, I gazed towards where he meant. Setting me free from their grasp, I took a few steps towards the room they pointed towards. It was the only way to get away from the two. Though there I noticed it was Loki's bathroom.

All the royals who lived in the castle had one in their rooms. However, I never expected what it held within. There was little time to think of anything else, though. Opening the door, I could not help but wince upon seeing lingerie hung there for me.

There were also small pink-packed vibrators on the side. I could not help but escape a small laugh the moment I saw the pieces. It would leave nothing for the imagination to take hold. A smirk rose on my lips, upon realizing Gerta was right.

These boys... are fucking insane.

If they were not my protectors, I would probably end them. Though a silly thought formed in my mind, too.

If these are my protectors, then what will my enemies look like? Ah... Right, like Rem, who wanted to rip me apart.

A sigh left my lips, trying to control the anger that surged through me.

These two… I won’t let them rattle me.

I stepped inside, only to grab the lingerie and sex toys before walking outside. Once in front of the boys, I threw the items at them. Loki the sexy underwear and Oswald the little vibrators.

Luckily, Lilith made sure I was well versed in sex. Even though I did not have any personal experience. I surely did not shy away from the topic if it came up.

"I’ll decline whatever offer you have for me. So how about you try to use that on yourselves instead. I’m sure you’ll have a great time, my princes." I smiled, trying to hide my real annoyance that was already tipping.

Had I ever gotten this angry before? No...

Not even when Nene died. Back then, I was devastated. Then again, I did not have the woman that cornered and caused her death shoved in front of me. If I ever saw her... Then perhaps I would feel true rage.

For a moment, the boys fumbled with their words. Loki gazed at the underwear I had thrown at him, shifting it back to me when he threw them to the side.

"Aw, come on, love. You haven’t even heard the offer yet." Loki clicked his tongue, surprised that I was not throwing myself at the chance.

I walked over to them, continuing to smile.

Polite... Polite... That will piss them off even more than if I explode on them.

The shock meant nothing compared to getting under their skin.

"I honestly hope..." I started, grabbing onto Loki's shirt, tugging it down.

It caused him to get more towards my level.

Two can play at this game.

The moment our lips were only centimeters away, I paused. If he wanted, he could move away in a blink of an eye. Though he observed me.

"You princes have fun with that. But I’ll respectfully again decline without even hearing that offer." I politely smiled again, letting him go.

In response, he chuckled, suddenly shoving me towards the bed. It triggered me to fall on it before finding myself pinned down and straddled by Loki. Oz sat back on the chair by the desk, watching from the side.

"Ah... were you after Alistair, then?" Loki asked, tilting his head to the side.

Part of his silvery-white hair covered part of his face when he did so. He held my wrist against the bed tightly, too. I could not help but be completely utterly confused by the entire situation.

Why would Alistair even be mentioned?

"Excuse me?" I asked, bewildered.

By now, I thought I would be back in the room. After all, he was not my goal at all. They were, but not in the sense they were speaking, either. That was when everything clicked in. All of this was a test.

They did not know who I was. Relief washed over me, though I found myself in another predicament. However, a troublesome warm sensation rose within my chest too. I tried to ignore it. This vampire was too close for comfort.

"All you girls ever come for is our bodies. Or you try to rise the ranks by getting knocked up by one of us." Loki huffed.

Sadly, I could not relate.

Why would these girls come for that alone? Why even try to do something like that?

I mean, it was fine to admire the ones you worked for, but to entrap them was unacceptable. No, it was deplorable.

"And here I was, being so nice to allow you, Vivian, to do a three-way with me and my brother," Loki informed.

Again, I could not follow along at all. My name coming from his mouth, though, made my heart skip. Perhaps the nerves were getting to me. Though this mortal body was a troublesome thing.

Hormones… it has to be. I mean, he’s beautiful, but not for me.

Even though I was versed in sex education. My brain could not keep up with them while trying to internalize everything I felt. Keeping a neutral face was harder than I expected. My mask needed to last. No one could know how I felt.

I could not feel. A divine was something bigger than these mortal boys.

"Three-way?" I mumbled.

It triggered Loki to gaze at me as if I were out of this world. Suddenly he held both of my wrists with one hand, undoing the bow at the front of the dress that held it together.

Wait... he can’t mean…

"Oi, don’t act innocent. A pretty gal like you is definitely not naïve." Loki licked his lips, pushing his hand suddenly underneath the undone part of the dress and onto my shoulder.

Direct contact?! Wait!

The sudden touch caused me to gasp.

No one has ever…

Anger swelled in my core, though I tried to remain calm. I could easily get out of this situation if I wanted to. In my hands, I held the power to do so, but I did not want to hurt anyone if I did not have to.

There was still time to change course. Even so, the heat that radiated from his hand onto my skin differed from everything I had ever felt before. Annoying as it was, I had to push past it.

"You’re right, my prince. I’m not innocent." I shivered.

Loki got closer to my exposed neck, leaving me to fear that he would bite down on me. I mean, the tea I had drunk today before coming to the castle would still be in effect. But it was said that vampire saliva could act as an aphrodisiac.

Their partners usually said it made them lose their minds during the act. While Loki's...

"I’m not innocent, but we’re speaking about two different things, for that matter," I assured.

It caused him to pull away slightly, gazing at me. He was curious about where I was going with this.

"Is that so?" Loki asked.

If they remove my dress. I’m fucked. Get a grip!

I relaxed my body, trying to seem unaggressive.

There’s time to change, but if it doesn’t. Will I allow him?

"It is. I’ve never had a man touch me the way you have. Let alone fuck me, my prince. Consider yourself lucky." I snapped slightly.

He gazed at me, perplexed by what I said. After all, how did a pretty girl like me not have a man before?

"Listen to me when I say I didn’t come here to have sex with you. Nor do I want to have your children. In fact, I find anything that may spawn from us as abominations. So, it doesn’t interest me in the least bit." I chided, not fearing what he was.

Loki did not know what I was capable of.

But... will I allow this to continue if this doesn’t work? No… my back…

"Then what intensions did you come with?" Oz asked from the footboard of the bed.

His question caught my gaze. He had been watching me the entire time from his seat.

This is a test that much I’m sure of now.

The way he stared at me was most unwelcoming, too. Cold as ice.

“Is it to kill me?" Loki followed up on Oswald's question by tracing his hand from my shoulder towards my neck.

There he grabbed onto it slightly, triggering my gaze to come back to him. He could easily snap me apart or burst an important vessel in me if he wanted. Unlike the other vampire, he was the one to fear the most.

Especially since my body was one of a mortal. But if he did anything to harm me, intending to kill, the bond would stop him. So, I knew he had no desire to murder me. Well, at least for now. Though he could still hurt me if he wanted.

Death seemed less appealing than losing a limb to him. But in all honesty. These two seemed like lost kids trying to survive. I guess this was their way of vetting the help.

"Why would I ever want to kill you?" I countered with my question.

It caused his hand to loosen on my wrist. This allowed me to break one hand free, which found its way to Loki's cheek. His eyes were ones of pain. It was obvious to me that the twins knew of their danger.

Good... Better chances of changing fate.

However, my action seemed to surprise the vampire who held me captive. I did not go for the hand that had my throat under his wrath. No, instead, my fingertips traced his cheek lightly. It radiated such warmth that it sunk into my core.

His eyes widened, surprised at my action too. When I noticed he was trying to see where I stood in all of this, I could not help but simper at him. If only Loki knew I would always stand with him. Not like I had a choice in the matter.

Gerta was wrong. Well, somewhat wrong. These boys were trying to survive. Rem taught them well. Even when she could not keep them with her.

Ah... good job. I’ll take it from here half-breed. No one will ever hurt them. I’ll make sure of it.

I guess our bond was making me overprotective of the boys, too. I wonder until what point it would go. All my previous anger subsided when I spoke my next sentence.

"The only thing I want to do is serve you, my prince. Is there something I should know for you to say these things?" I asked.

It caused his eyes to reflect distrust. He did not quite believe me, which was a relief. A normal effect of having been destined to die did to his soul. He was right to be skeptical of me, too. He did not know it, but I was one cause of misfortune in his life.

Well, all but one. I was not the reason for his death. No, that was the threads of fate pulling him. Lucky for him, the divines had the power to change those fates. Perhaps this would be interesting than I thought.

Though... Gerta was also right. These twins were trouble makers. I did not expect it to be easy after what they showed me today. But it was a challenge I welcomed.

"Your act’s too good. How about I prove what you said?" Loki smirked, triggering me to close my eyes.

My dress was still partly undone. Though, my chest was partially exposed to them too. It seemed I was not getting out of this one unscathed. Lilith warned me about what men would want to do to me because of how my body was.

But never did I think it also applied with my protectors. Although, they were forced into this bond as much as I. At this point; I did not know if they were serious or testing me.

"Prove?" I mumbled, letting my hand fall from his cheek back onto the bed.

He released his grip on my throat, allowing his hand to travel down my body's curves and onto my thighs. For some reason, I did not hate it as much as I thought I would. It was annoying to realize the slight attraction between me and him.

All physical, of course… My body was one of a mortal girl. And he was divine on the eyes.

"Yeah, your virginity dear. Prove to me you’re pure, then I’ll believe you." Loki declared, suddenly pulling my dress up.

His hand traveled up my leg and into my inner thigh. I had come in uniform thinking it would be best and respectable for the princes. But that was the last thing needed.

How far will I go to stay with these distrusting boys?

A silly question. The answer was straightforward.

To survive, there isn’t a cost high enough.

I opened my eyes, steadying my heart. A soft sigh left me when I gazed up towards the ceiling, trying not to feel a single thing. It was just like Lilith taught me. She always tried to protect my emotions as best she could.

I probably should have taken her offer to get me any man I wanted. But there were none. My mask would hold up. The real me would stay deep inside without a place to go. There was no time to feel agony or anger.

This tested my resolve. And it was unwavering.

"So be it. If that’s what’ll please you, my prince." I bit onto my lip, gazing at the ceiling.

I did not even know why I had saved myself until now. Perhaps on the off chance, I would do it with someone who loved me for me.

Every girl's dream... I guess.

But that would never happen. Love was not for me. If this was going to happen, why not let it be with the two that were supposed to protect me. The irony would be exquisite for this cruel world we lived in.

And if it would prove my word to them, so be it. The moment his warm hand was about to touch my underwear, Oz shook his head, not pleased he could not read a single clue from me. My mask held up.

"Enough Loki, I believe she isn’t here to hurt us. At least for now." Oswald suddenly declared, clicking his tongue.

The moment those words left Oswald's lips, Loki stopped getting off me. Instinctively, I held my dress together. Luckily, nothing earth-shattering was shown. Especially my back. If they fucked me, I had hoped all my clothes would have stayed on.

Even so, my body shivered a bit as the warmth that Loki left behind radiated from my skin. I was shameless.

"Damn it, Oz. Why did you wimp out? It was getting to the good part." Loki sighed.

He wanted to push me further. His eyes were still full of distrust, too. I sighed in relief. It seemed I passed their test for now. Or perhaps this was another part of it. I could not tell.

"Sorry, dear, but you have to understand. We’re careful about who we let into my lovely brother's life. Also, don’t go reporting this to anyone. They’ll just throw you out either way." Oswald warned, watching me.

Wasting little time, I fixed my dress up. Although it pleased me to know the twins knew about their fates. It was good and bad. Bad for me to get close. Good as it would keep everyone else away.

A challenge I willingly accepted.

"I understand, reporting this never passed my mind in the first place,” I answered, catching the brothers off guard.

They both seemed unable to understand me when I gazed up at Loki, who was the nearest to me. His scent still lingered on me. It was almost intoxicating.

Who knew a man's touch can do something like that to me?

What was worse, I did not perceive them as a threat even after being overly touchy with me. Not even for a moment did I feel fear. However, my body seemed to respond more to the vampire than to anyone else.

Something I had to watch out for. His charm could not consume me.

"What?" Loki mumbled.

Anyone with decent common sense would leave after being harassed like that. But I did not come here to give up because of such a reason. I guess that was another test they were throwing at me.

If I were a pure girl, why would I allow this? The boys probably thought. These two should have opened a school from how many inquires they were throwing at me. With no hesitation or fear, I faced the bewildered vampire head-on.

I would not allow a single thing he did to me, affect me. My mask had to stay up at all costs. And that intrigued the vampire.

"I have my reasons to be here. Something like this wouldn’t have scared me that easily. Though I’m grateful, you didn’t continue. It would have been troublesome otherwise." I politely smiled, trying to hold my genuine emotions deep inside.

My answer seemed to tick Loki off. Though it caused Oz to chuckle, returning to his seat at the desk. I had not noticed, but it was full of books. This room had so many bookshelves full. All of them probably belonged to Oswald.

The two stuck together, which was good. I mean, Oz's room was right next door. They were conjoining rooms.

Inseparable twins...

I tried to fight off a devilish smile that wanted to rise. This might be too fun.

"Geez, I don't know if you’re putting up a tough front. Or if you’re a freaky girl," Loki grumbled, cheeks somewhat pink.

His flustered reaction triggered me to tilt my head in confusion. I could not figure out the reason for it.

Did I say something wrong? Or unexpected?

Though it was better to keep these boys on their toes.

"Am I? So sorry. Perhaps I could change that someday. If you teach me why I’m freaky, I mean." I continued.

For the first time, it seemed Loki was beaten. He did not know how to respond to me anymore. It seemed my task was done when he suddenly turned around towards the door. Not knowing if this was yet another test, I slowly followed him.

He stopped by the door, twirling around, grabbing me by my chin once again. He was rather a touchy person. I hated to admit it, but I did not dislike it. Why it was, I would not know until much later.

Lilith told me once that nothing beats having a man or woman, depending on the preference, under them in your full control. I could not help but wonder... if...

Wait... No... No!

That thought could never come out. I would not allow it. We were enemies, after all. Unwilling allies.

"If you decided to stick around. Stay away from Alistair, sweetheart." Loki warned.

I tilted my head, bewildered by why his name appeared yet again. He was a different type of target, but not my priority. I would only get close to him if I had no choice but to kill him. Then again...

It was normal for Loki to want his servants away from his half-brother. The one who was fated to kill him.

"You chose me as your personal maid. Enlighten me. Why would I need to go near him?" I asked.

Loki smirked upon hearing that. His smile was contagious. Though I held my poker face.

"You look like a doll, sweetheart. It’s Alistair's favorite type of girl. So just stay away from him or you might get hurt." Loki continued to caution me.

If Alistair ever laid hands on me. He would surely be plastered through the wall and both our problems would be fixed. But that was not something that I could say to him. The only reason this twin was whole was that he was bonded to my life.

His luck.

"Oh... I see. Are you implying that he’s worse than you, dear prince?" I asked, unsure of how these boys worked.

Loki rolled his eyes, moving his hair from his face. It was silky, like Oz's too.

"Yeah, he is." He answered, opening the door to reveal my two 'friends' right in front.

Upon spotting them, Oswald burst into laughter. Loki seemed annoyed by their presence. His eyes narrowed; brows scrunched up. These two girls were going to be a handful, too. Upon seeing me safe, they quickly apologized to the two boys.

They were too much.

Did they forget that every room in this castle has sigils?

Sigils were elven-made artifacts that made every room to be soundproof.

Stupid... really stupid girls.

Before I knew it, I chuckled at their silly excuses. The sudden noise that came from me, triggering Loki suddenly to grab me again from my hips, yanking me towards him once again.

His lips got close to my ear, allowing his breath to hit my skin. The sudden motion caused me to silence up, trying to shift my eyes towards him. Emma and Zoe both seemed about to blow because of the vampire's action, though.

"So, you can genuinely smile when you want to. Will I see you tomorrow?" Loki whispered, letting me go.

I tried to ignore his tease. Emma's, and Zoe's rage, though, were hard to hide when Loki waved at them playfully. If he was not the most dangerous vampire alive. They probably would have jumped him even if he was my link.

Once free of the brothers, we headed back to the staff's sleeping quarters. On the way there, though, Emma and Zoe both tried to get me to speak about what happened behind the doors. The only thing I told them was that I was tested by the two.

Though what exactly happened, I kept to myself. When we got back to the room, I quickly picked out a pajama and headed into the shared bathroom. Loki's scent intoxicated me once again when I took off my dress.

He was everywhere, and his effect on me was apparent. The moment I saw my shoulder, I was quickly reminded of the feeling of his hot skin on mine. A feeling I never experienced before. It was not because I did not have the opportunity. Lilith always took me out to places.

I never wanted kinship. Yet, for some reason, his lingering warmth made me feel off. The thought that previously invaded my mind soon reemerged. That was when I noticed my cheeks were pink in the mirror.

The way his voice and breath tickled my skin caused me to bite my lip. I needed no mask while I was in here. Even so, I tried to shrug off what it induce on me. That was a useless emotion that I could not afford to feel.

This attraction… nothing could come from it. They were my targets, or so I told myself until I believed it. I turned around to see if their touch affected me in some other way and it had. An infinity circle with branches that sprouted from the two circles appeared on my back.

It marked our bond, as each of the boys had one identical in their left pecs. Mine, though, covered my entire back. It seemed to only appear when touched by the twins, too. I had not seen it since that fateful day twelve years ago. And it took hours for it to dissipate.

This was something else I would have to be careful of. After shrugging off the emotions Loki induced on me, I hopped into my PJs and headed to bed. I needed to be up early for work. Though difficult, I wormed my way into slumber.

Sadly, I was woken up by a nightmare before the night ended. It was almost like clockwork. Though I did not scream myself awake anymore. No, instead I usually would just jolt up, feeling unsteady. No one would ever comfort me, either.

I tried to control my breathing when the clock alarms erupted. The girls were struggling to get out of bed, groaning over having to get up early. We had to be up by dawn to eat, before having to go work for the princes. This was nothing I could not handle.

Though controlling the emotions that wanted to swell would be the hardest thing I encountered. Who knew two mortals boys would be such a pain to save? And worse yet… How they would worm themselves into my heart.

3