Chapter 23: Dance of Sorrow
26 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

When I woke up, I found myself on the floor. The most annoying headache I had ever raged within me. A groan left my lips as a little girl wept near me.

“Oh, you’re awake,” Gerta said, acknowledging my awareness.

Wincing in pain, I shook my head a bit to feel someone clinging to me. It was the crying little girl, Luna. Gerta walked over to me, kneeling beside us. We seemed to be in a cell of some kind. Next to us was a sleeping wolf, Thea.

“What happened?” I asked, trying to make sense.

Luna clung to me for some reason. Though I would try to ignore her. She was the least of my worries.

“Well, some strange people took us. How do you feel?” the elderly woman asked.

My head throbbed madly.

“Urg… My head’s killing me.” I complained, reaching towards where it hurt most.

Though the moment I touched it, I felt a moist liquid come from it. Blood… It caused me to withdraw and stare at my stained hand. Whoever hit me didn’t hold back. Most of it was dried, though.

That alerted me it had been a while since they knocked me out cold. Probably had a concussion too. Oswald was right to grumble about the pain he had. This was no joke. Gerta also had blood on her face. It seemed they didn’t take any pity on us.

“Yeah, they hit us pretty hard. I just came to myself. Though, I think they drugged the Lycan girl. Luckily, they didn’t touch the child. Although I think she has some scratches on her. I can’t make sure. She won’t let me near her.” She gazed towards the little luma.

The poor girl was holding onto my dress for dear life. Though her crying didn’t help the headache I had.

“Rem’s kids…” I mumbled, gazing at the sleeping wolf next to us.

Thea appeared uninjured. Though the metal collar around her neck would be an issue. It had a moonstone, and it shone red. Probably drained her crimson moon’s power. It seemed the complications wouldn’t end there.

I could do nothing without exposing myself in front of these women. Unlike Thea, Gerta and Luna were wide awake.

“I know. Though, I’ve never personally met them. Seems the little one’s clinging to you.” Gerta pointed out to Luna.

This wasn’t a welcoming scenario. In fact, it was one of the worst. I was helpless to do anything. If I did, then I couldn’t stay with Loki. Memory spells rarely worked on Lycans. Well, with no god artifacts on hand.

But that didn’t matter. I couldn’t try to do anything. Especially to a little girl.

What a pain… This isn’t what I wanted to happen at all.

I felt stuck in between walls that were slowly closing in on me. Though it appeared to be the coven’s doing. They wanted us for something, but for what I did not know.

“I don’t know why. Today’s the first time I met her.” I sighed, gazing at Luna.

The moment I saw her, it was like my maternal instincts flared. She was so tiny that every fiber of my being was telling me to hold her. Yet she was the enemy. I couldn’t afford to get too close. Even though she was the one shutting that gap.

“Probably because she saw you with Loki. She adores that troublesome vampire.” Gerta noted.

The little luma had seen me from Alijah’s shoulders, but she appeared too clingy to be just that. It almost reminded me of the familiars.

“Maybe,” I mumbled.

This wasn’t ideal at all. I didn’t know how to get out of this mess without exposing myself. Luckily, it seemed Loki was alive and well. The only reason I knew was that I was still breathing. The key problem I had was that Rem’s youngest was glued to me.

What a pain…

I never expected this to turn out like this. She had to let me go.

“Luna… go with Thea,” I suggested, turning my gaze to the sleeping wolf.

The drug they had used on her appeared to be a potent sedative. We didn’t know how long it would take for her to recover from it. It could’ve been hours before the Lycan was useful. Yet again, with that collar, it was doubtful.

That drug was one Cerberus made, and one our coven didn’t have.

Where the fuck did these people get it from?

That an answer wouldn’t be within reach just yet. The luma shook her head, gazing at me with those purple orbs of hers. She appeared distressed by the whole thing. Yet what came out of her little mouth would surprise me.

“No! You, the princess, will save us!” Luna pouted, clinging to me tighter.

I felt my eye twitch.

This kid’s insane.

“Princess?” I muttered, bewildered by her.

In the poor kid’s defense, I appeared like one thanks to the dress, but I wasn’t of royal blood. Well, one that was supposed to exist. Luna’s assessment caused Gerta to chuckle.

“Yes, you!” the little luma assured still teary eye.

Though the hope in her eyes when she gazed at me caused my heart to throb. This little girl didn’t know what she was saying. All I wanted to do was rescue my ass. I had hoped that the coven would have taken me alone.

If it would’ve been that scenario, I would’ve destroyed them without worry.

“What?” I mumbled, trying to shake her off my dress.

But it was no use. It was like she was stuck to it.

“You’ll save us!” Luna repeated, holding onto me.

Gerta giggled, sitting down next to one wall that surrounded us. She appeared in pain, too. Though when she gazed at little Luna, the only thing in her eyes was affection.

Did she love children?

A quality we didn’t share. I could barely stand the child clinging onto me. Not that the headache helped. No matter how much my instincts wanted me to protect her. The child was a thorn.

“Seems she thinks you’ll be our savior,” Gerta chuckled, wincing.

The pain appeared to be a little too much for her. Not that I blamed her. My head was pounding, too. Though this time she reached for her head and held her hand there for a bit.

“The kid’s crazy.” I huffed, feeling off about the whole thing.

Fuck it. Let the kid be.

I needed information, and that wouldn’t come if I kept interacting with Luna. Though, the brat was too clingy.

“Has anyone come around?” I asked Gerta, trying to get away from the little attacker.

Unfortunately, where I went, so did the little luma. Though she had no tail like Rem. If I didn’t know Luna was that hybrid’s daughter, I would have confused her for a peredhil. A half-elf, instead of the Lycan hybrid, she was.

“No. Well, not since I woke up.” Gerta answered, shaking her head a bit.

It would plague us both with discomfort for the foreseeable future.

“And how long ago was that?” I queried, needing more.

This was turning worse by the second.

“Hm, an hour at most.” The head maid informed.

I gazed towards the sleeping wolf. It seemed she wasn’t ready to wake up yet.

“And Thea has been out the entire time?” I continued.

Gerta shrugged.

“Yes, but it won't matter if she regains consciousness.” She pointed towards the collar on the wolf's neck.

“Yes, that’s a problem,” I mumbled, mind racing to solve the problem.

“Yes, with it on. She’s like a normal Lycan. And the steel that makes up this cell is from etanil. A normal wolf won’t break it.” Gerta tapped on the bars.

It was easily identified by how dark the metal was. Blaze elves were making everything impossible for me. It was the strongest metal known in existence. And it was only made by that subspecies.

Of course, this wouldn’t be easy. It didn’t help that the collar around Thea’s neck was also made of the same metal. If only we had one of those elves with us. We could’ve used their flames to melt it down.

Yet again, it would’ve been as hot as a star. I could destroy it with ease, but that would expose me. And it seemed this wasn’t the fated day for Loki’s death. Thus, I couldn’t afford to leave my vampire’s side.

Even though it was something I never wanted to occur.

“So, the wolf’s utterly useless. Worse yet, she’s in dreamland.” I scoffed, shaking my head in disbelief.

To think Alijah’s offspring was so useless. Then again, they had a bit of Rem in her. I walked towards the bars of the room, before gazing outside and into the hall. It appeared we were in a dungeon of sorts.

Oswald had theorized that the warlock was hiding in the caverns below night city. It seemed he was right. Too bad it was a labyrinth. It would take them days to find us if they got lucky. By then, the warlock would have accomplished his goal.

So, waiting was useless, too. I couldn’t allow them to harm Thea and Luna. They both were crucial against the gods.

Think, Vivian!

I gazed down at the enchanted bracelet my father had given me. He said to use it in an emergency case. But I couldn’t. If he came, I would have been outed. And even if I used it, the fact that no tracking spells had been used to find us.

Or better yet, did not work meant I was on my own. The signal from this bracelet would have been blocked too.

“Since it has been an hour, and Lilith hasn’t found us. That points me to believe we probably are in a spot with magic repellants. They’re smart.” I squeezed the bars, gazing up to the ceiling.

This is annoying. If I were alone…

There had to be a weak point somewhere. A mistake idiotic mortals usually made.

“Hm… you’re knowledgeable about that,” Gerta noted.

Shit! She’s sharp!

It appeared I let myself slip, too. Easy fix though.

“I like to read on stuff,” I assured her, gazing at Luna again.

The little luma was relentless.

“Kid, go to your sister.” I scowled, unpleased by the clinginess.

“No!” Luna denied me.

My eyes twitched again. This entire family was a pain in the ass.

“Oi…” I began, not knowing how to deal with a child.

The coven didn’t have many of them to start with. And those who knew of me were mostly adults.

“She thinks you’re her princess.” Gerta chuckled, enjoying the reaction.

It was obvious I wasn’t fond of her. But at the same time, I couldn’t push her away.

“A mistake,” I mumbled.

Luna just smothered herself against my dress, though. I sighed, kneeling to face her. In response, she gazed at me before throwing herself into my arms. It was surprising to me. I couldn’t find it in me to shove her away.

Hesitantly, I held the small child back. I didn’t know what the fuck I was going to do next. Sitting on the floor, I gazed at Gerta, who smiled at me. She was coming for me.

“Well, since we’re stuck here. Want to talk about what’s happening with you and Loki?” she created chatter.

Of course, she would use any opportunity to get any information out of me. Not like it matter, time was what we had. I could do nothing until I saw who was behind this. And even then, it would be a struggle.

“Is that why you jumped into the portal after me?” I scowled, unhappy to be interrogated by her.

Especially in this situation, though I could not escape.

“No, I was trying to save you. But alas, I’m a mere human.” Gerta shrugged, gazing at the wall instead of me.

Her expression shifted from friendly to serious.

“Why try to save me, then? A human should know her limitations.” I jabbed at her.

She smiled, shifting her gaze onto her hands.

“Because Loki cares about you. And you’re part of my staff.” She answered, leaving me on the spot.

Is it that obvious? Loki…

“Well, nothing’s happening between us. So, you can put that to rest.” I blurted out, trying to keep my emotions in check.

It wouldn’t be a cue for her to stop, though.

“I don’t call the alley incident as nothing. Especially the lack of protection.” Gerta declared, leaving me in a pinch.

My eyes shot towards where she was, cheeks were burning hot too. She couldn’t care less that there was a child with us. Though I doubted little Luna would know what we were talking about.

“H-how long were you w-watching?!” I spluttered out, heart racing.

Gerta knew no shame. Especially when she wanted to know. She was a shark, and I was the injured prey in the ocean.

“Ever since you ran into the alley. I was seriously worried about you. But it seems, I was wrong to be. After all, Loki made you feel better super-fast.” Gerta raised her eyebrows in a teasing manner.

I felt like I wanted to sink into the floor.

My poor heart…

It didn’t help how Luna was clinging to me.

“You don’t…” I trailed off, wanting to argue.

But I couldn’t tell her I was an eternal witch with frozen reproductive organs. My lack of words caused Gerta to sigh. Instead of being angry, she appeared worried and disappointed. One of them confused me, while the other made me feel guilty.

“If you keep going like this, you’ll end like me.” She reached with her hands to her chest.

“What?” I mumbled, unable to follow along.

From all the times we spoke, all she had ever said was that she had a platonic love with Asher. But I would soon find out that was lacking.

“I lied when I said my love was forgotten and one-sided.” She winced.

It was almost as if a painful memory arose in her mind.

Impossible…

“You were with that asshole of a king?” I muttered, unable to help myself.

In response to hearing me, Gerta shook her head, smiling.

“He isn’t an asshole. Well, he wasn’t born like that. No, the system made him into what he is today. In truth, he was much like Leonard when he was young.” She stopped, pressing her hands into her chest.

Though what came out next shocked me to my core.

“Our son…” Her voice broke.

It was impossible. She…

“What?!” I yelped, surprised by the revelation.

There wasn’t a hint of deceit in her voice. And her emotions were genuine.

“You seem so into Loki, that I feel obligated to tell you my story. So, you know what it is to be with a royal.” She gazed at me straight on.

Her eyes were full of agony and sorrow. Luckily, Luna had fallen asleep on me. She was only five, and it was way past her bedtime. Though it was weird how she found comfort in me.

“Gerta…” I whispered, unsure if I wanted to know her story.

I didn’t want to care anymore, but that wouldn’t stop her. My hesitation pushed her onward.

“Asher and me…” She bit her lip.

The words… The memories were hard for her to recollect. It was a time she wished she could forget.

“We were both young and stupid when we fell for one another. I guess we’ve been together for the past forty years or more now. But it all started when I came here. And that was when we were both eighteen. I was a mere maid, and I found myself falling for the playful vampire.” Gerta declared, mentioning an Asher I never knew.

One that appeared impossible yet sounded similar to my beloved.

“He was handsome and sweet. A girl's true dream. Ring any bells, Vivian?” she shot at me.

I felt my heart stop. Though part of me thought she was delusional. How could a man like that be the same one who gazed at me with icy eyes? Come to think of it, he seemed tired. Almost as if he could not wait for his rest.

“I…” no words left me.

Not that she minded. No, she would continue with her tale.

“We fooled around even after his father forced him to marry Andrea. Though, I hate to admit it. But it was the point everything spiraled out of control.” She sighed.

Maybe she thought if she had ended the relationship there. Then perhaps it would’ve been different.

“They forced Asher to conceive a child with her. His father would feed him drugs and force him into a room with her. I remember feeling helpless. Being a human has its limitations, as you said.” She echoed my earlier words.

Though, for some reason, they sounded heavier on her. It also seemed Alijah’s story was being repeated, even in somewhat modern times. Vampires and their pursuit of power were too much. Not only did they destroy Eternal witches, but they went after their own.

Unforgivable. Loki can never be in that system.

After collecting her thoughts, Gerta would continue.

“Though after everything was set and done, I would go into his room. It was usually after Andrea left for the night. They didn’t sleep as couples do. No, they hated each other.” She sighed again.

“In those moments, I would try to comfort him as best I could. Though sleeping by his side was the best I could do, and it frustrated me. You don’t know how many times I held onto him while he cried.” She closed her eyes, wincing again.

It was obvious she had so many regrets.

“I had never seen a man break like, Asher did.” Gerta’s voice broke.

Tears were visible in her eyes. The emotions from the past still existed in her.

“When he tried to fight it. His mother told him it was what society expected of him. And for him to claim the crown, he needed an heir. So, she told him to man up. He wasn’t the first or last who would experience this.” She continued, feeling the same as she did back then.

She was a helpless spectator. Every word that left her, though, caused my stomach to turn. These people were sick. Vampires and their struggle to keep their blood control trait were revolting.

“At that point, his father was on the newly formed council. It was only five years old at that time. We were only twenty then. Sadly, all that mattered to the late king was power. So, he saw that council as a means to acquire more. It was one that he wanted his son to have too.” She clenched her hands tightly.

The anger of not being able to do anything was present, too. This poor woman…

“We didn’t know the late king was sick, but that didn’t stop the abuse. Not until a year before the blooming moon, Lycan took the helm of the council. That was when Asher’s father passed. It’s the same illness that plagues most purebreds and makes females sterile. Genetically gained and incurable. Asher has it too.” Gerta smiled bitterly.

In her eyes, he didn’t deserve that. If any of this was true, then Asher…

Wait… will Loki have that disease too?

This wasn’t fair.

I… my heart.

“He thought it marked the moment of freedom for him. It was foolish. Even though, he tried to keep our relationship secret. That night, he held me without caring for persecutions. He just wanted a moment of peace. We were twenty-eight then.” The head maid shook her head.

“Asher thought he was free, but he wasn’t.” She stopped to gaze at me.

“Life of a royal doesn’t end once they’re in power. No, that’s when they realize they have nothing. The title of king is that. It holds no power. No, for that… you need the nobles at your side.” Gerta scowled, but it wasn’t at me.

No, it was at the memory. The horrible things that were rushing into her mind. I couldn’t even imagine.

“That night, his wife walked in on us. She knew about our relationship thanks to some nosey maids.” She scoffed, rolling her eyes.

The disgust on her face was prevalent. She held no love for who she was about to speak about.

“Andrea noticed how we were fucking with no protection. And that angered her. She shrieked at Asher. Yelling that if I conceived the child, he could never make it with her. That she would kill me and take it for herself.” Gerta grimaced, feeling the emotions of that day.

Another day, she wished she could change.

“Queen Andrea said no one else was allowed to have his bastard child.” She added, with the same expression.

“They had been crown king and queen just a day prior. And Asher was about to inherit the roles of the council, too. It was the perfect storm. He didn’t know; his father had married him to a viper. One who had the disguise of a saint. She always portrayed herself as the victim of the king, too. But she wasn’t.” Gerta sighed.

It felt like the change in Andrea had completely surprised her. Then again, power warped people. And if Gerta was an obstacle for the vampire. Surely, she would have tried to eliminate her.

So… how’s she still alive?

Her story wasn’t over.

“Andrea has backers left and right, while Asher had no one at the time. The only thing he had was the crown. Who knew that shit was lighter than owed favors from nobles? This meant Asher would never be rid of her. And divorcing her was out of the question. That doesn’t work with royals.” Gerta continued.

Everything was hard to hear as this world was uglier than I thought. The systems in place were rotten to the core. It ranged from all the races, and even though some were trying to be better. Greed always swallowed the good.

For Asher to protect his people, he had to sell his body. And to protect the one he loved… he would…

“Sadly, most of the unions are deal-based. And Andrea would never have allowed him to leave her. Not while she was queen. She and her family had invested too much into the crown to be ignored. Too bad she was a barren bitch.” She huffed, feeling no love for her king’s wife.

I would’ve felt the same way. And if that was what awaited Loki. There was no wonder why Alistair wanted to keep him away from it. Everything I said seemed to have placed the poor elder prince in a bind.

I needed to save him, too.

But how…

Gerta chuckled a bit, biting onto her lip. It appeared another terrible memory was about to rise.

“A month later when I didn’t get my period. It sent Asher into a panic. I told him we should’ve aborted, but he didn’t want that. He told me there was no way we could kill the fruit of our love. That I was the only reason he hadn’t gone insane. But my beloved was already losing himself.” She seemed about to break.

Surprisingly, my heart ached for her. Loki and Alistair were filling my thoughts. There was no way I could abandon them to that fate.

“My beloved realized, he had to be ruthless. And that would be exactly who he would be. All to protect me and his unborn child. Hybrid or not. He didn’t care if we had a dhampir.” She smiled, remembering that memory somewhat fondly.

The light in the darkness.

“Asher wasted no time in sending me to Celestelia. It was where I gave birth alone to Leonard. My beautiful baby boy.” Tears fell down Gerta’s eyes.

If she knew I was the reason her…

Oh, gods… I…

“It was also where we spent the first five years of his life. They were lovely, but that never lasted. Good things never last. So, enjoy them while you can, Vivian.” She gazed at me intently.

It was almost as if I could see what happened next. Of course, the vampire matriarch wouldn’t have allowed that to stand.

“Even though, Asher didn’t visit us. Andrea found out about the child. We still don’t know how, but she did. Luckily, she didn’t know I was that child’s mother. The moment Asher found out, he pried Leonard from my arms with the promise I would see him again.” She closed her eyes, reliving the moment she let the baby go.

At that time, it was the one thing that she could do to protect the child. Being a human, she was helpless to do anything else.

“Much to Andrea’s displeasure, he brought me back to the castle without a child. No, he hid Leonard with a dhampir. A sister of his, from his late father. I never knew what he had planned until it was over.” She continued, pausing for a moment for breath.

I already knew what happened next from the rumors. But I never knew how much pain this family was in until she spoke. I…

“Asher killed his sister, claiming to Andrea that he made a child with her. It was to keep me safe, but it left me bitter. After all, the woman who tore us apart was about to raise my baby. At that point, my beloved lost his way.” She paused, shaking her head.

“He realized he needed the backing of the noble vampires for everything. Thus, he would try to please them in every way he could.” Gerta took a deep breath to ease her feelings.

I couldn’t help but tighten my grip on Luna. This was worse than I first thought.

What we did to this family… We destroyed it.

Andrea was the greatest villain in her eyes. But little did she know I was the reason her son was dead.

“Luckily, Leonard was a dominant vampire. So, it worked. Though, there was a problem. My beautiful baby boy got my father’s eyes. Sky blue, they were beautiful.” She cried, unable to hold the sorrow within her.

My heart broke. She used to be this woman who seemed unmovable. In reality, she was brittle, broken, and full of pain. A tear left my eyes, causing me to grab hold of where it had traveled. I was weak.

“Andrea and Asher have red ones. And that made the rumors of Leonard not being her child, spread like wildfire.” She tried to compose herself a bit.

No wonder she held Leonard in a prominent place.

“It made Andrea want nothing to do with my baby boy. So, I was able to raise him. And since she couldn’t conceive. The bitch had no choice but to accept Leonard as hers. Rumors and all. Then… well, he was killed by a cult.” She held her chest tight.

I hadn’t noticed she was holding a pendant in her hand. It seemed similar to the one Tania had been carrying. My mind felt like a blur. I didn’t know what to think. Though…

“Loki, Oswald, and Alistair…” I mumbled.

They had been in my mind the entire time. Hearing their names caused her softly to turn to me and smile.

“They are my beautiful grandsons.” She confirmed.

It caused me to snap. If all of this was true, then.

I… I…

I couldn’t be guilty alone.

“If that’s true then, how can you not stand up for them?! Especially Alistair?! He’s suffering because of Asher!” I snarled, not knowing what to feel anymore.

Though something was sure. My side was wicked.

We had caused so much pain and suffering. All for what? To live? Do we deserve it? I… don’t know anymore. But even then… I don’t want to die.

Even if I were malevolence incarnated. I didn’t want to disappear. No, I desired to be with Loki, until…

No… I can’t. I don’t deserve that.

I had no right to be angry at Gerta, but she didn’t seem surprised. In fact, she welcomed the anger. She knew she was helpless to help anyone.

“How can I? There’s a viper in the midst of this castle. One full of hatred. Do you think it’s Asher? No, sweety. All the blame always falls on him, but he’s too sick to do anything. Asher tries his best with what he can do to protect the boys from her.” Gerta opened her locket.

Inside was a picture of Asher and Leonard. Her two most beloved.

“He has been sick for ten years now. Constantly fighting in the hopes, he stays alive long enough to let the kids grow. All he’s trying to do is help harden their hearts. So, they don’t break as he did. He tried to do it for his son. By killing his ‘mother’ in front of him. Foolish desperate man.” She shook her head, trying to wipe the tears away.

It hurt to see her like that. I felt guilty.

“Leonard willingly married a female that was chosen by Andrea. All so he could get the crown to change the laws. But that’s difficult. A king’s but a symbol. No, the entire system needs to change. And for that to happen, he had to reroute society. An impossible task.” Gerta sighed, gazing at me.

“I mean look at Fenris. He’s been trying to change Lycans for the longest time. And some are still going crazy over who his grandkids will marry. Royals marry for advantages rather than love.” She huffed, shaking her head.

“Fenris was lucky to be the strongest of them all. But Vampires are all the same to one another. No one’s stronger. Well, until Loki came along. But he wants nothing to do with the crown.” She added, trying to understand why the system was like this.

She had opened herself to me. I never expected her to do so. And it was all because she saw herself within me. But she did not know I was the monster that took her son away. If she figured it out, there was no way she would’ve ever allowed me in.

“No, the fucking world needs to be redone. But then again, Leonard was a special boy. Maybe he would’ve had a chance.” She stopped, clenching her hands into fists.

“He didn’t know that I was his real mother. I couldn’t find the strength to tell him. But I was glad, I got to see him grow into a wonderful man. One that brought three petty demons into this world. But I adore them.” She released a nervous chuckle.

“Even though, they have no respect. And lack grace. Those three are like a shadow of what their father was.” The head maid appeared to use that to get a hold of herself.

It was a strong front, though. In reality, she wanted them to know. She wanted to tell them and hug them with the love of a grandmother. Rather than the one of a servant.

“Gerta…” I called out to her, not knowing what to say.

Nothing of what she said was fake. No, it all had been real. I could tell. Lilith trained me to find a liar. And this old woman was not one.

“Loki has the biggest burden on him, though. So many nobles and other royals are pushing Asher to marry him off. So, he made this stupid ball in an effort to get Loki to choose one. A ruse for the aristocrats.” She informed.

It caused my heart to sting because of it.

“So, I repeat. What’s your relationship with Loki?” Gerta got back to the topic.

She placed me in a pin. I couldn’t tell her. Now more than ever. The only liar and malice in the cage came from me.

“I can’t…” I trailed off, biting my lip.

Why are your eyes so heavy on me?

They felt like boulders on my shoulder. In response to my reaction, she seemed worried about it.

“I feel something about you, Vivian.” Gerta started.

“What? I…” I tried to speak, but my words would not come out.

“You’ll do something big. I don’t know why I feel this way. But I think you will. Just, don’t hurt my grandson. Please,” she begged, gazing at me.

Her expression made me want to crumble. She had already failed Oswald and Alistair. The least she could do was speak to me.

“I… can’t promise that.” I answered honestly, gazing away from her.

Another second, and I would’ve lost myself. Luckily, she backed off.

“Very well. I can’t stop your relationship. But be wary of the vipers that surround you. If you don’t. You won’t realize when you’re surrounded by their venom.” She warned.

Andrea was nothing to me. Though she was right. Vipers were around us, and it had nothing to do with the throne. No, my enemies were worse. Though it seemed we gods and mortals were not that different.

Power influenced us in corrupt ways. Then again, mortals were our children. They might as well represent us, too. Even though my mind was chaotic, it traveled to Loki and Eli. My desire to be with them grew. The only one who accepted me.

Too bad they were temporary. We couldn’t be together, no matter how much I needed it. His family was too broken because of me. If I never existed, Vera and Leonard would still be alive. And Ben would still be here for Tania, too.

Nene wouldn’t have died that day. Dad and Lilith wouldn’t have to deal with the mess that my life was, either. I shouldn’t have been alive. Yet I didn’t want to die.

Why does my existence have to cause so much pain? Rem’s right. I’m an abomination.

I gazed towards Luna, who slept on my lap. Would I allow more pain to exist? This little girl was innocent. No matter who her parents were. Loki once said he didn’t hate all eternal witches. He wouldn’t allow the sins of others to affect the way he saw the whole.

But can I be like that? No, I can’t.

I was just one. And I was guilty.

“Gerta… I’m sorry. But I’m not a good girl.” I simpered, knowing full well I was responsible for her son’s death.

If I didn’t exist, he would’ve been alive. Yet I didn’t regret existing. I wanted to be in this world.

Why can’t I live?

Even if it caused everyone pain. It didn’t matter to me. I would struggle until the last moment. The old woman shook her head, silently staring at the pendant in her hands. After that, we both remained quiet.

Taking the opportunity, I took the gem out of my bosom. I didn’t know what kind of message was inside of it, but it could’ve been useful. Gerta was focused on her pendant, and the two others were asleep.

If there was any information that could help us get out. Then it was worth the risk. To activate the gem, it required some magic to infuse into it. A simple task. The moment I did so, a message became available to my eyes alone.

Dad had used his DNA to make sure only I would see it. Well, anyone else who shared his genetic makeup, too. But I was an only child.

Dear Vivian,

I hope this finds you well. There have been a few issues on the coven’s end, but nothing you can’t deal with. Though, I feel like I should inform you there’s a shadow warlock who has gone rogue.

His name is Jin, and he is a tactful planner. Though I have my doubts that he can outwit you, my love. He seems to have an aim for Rem, and I fear he might try to do something to the boys. So, be wary.

I’ve also heard rumors of what has been happening in the castle. They mostly speak about a personal maid and prince Loki.  I won’t pretend to know what led to this development or if that’s you.

But as a father, all I can say is, I hope you know what you’re doing. I guess I’m feeling protective of you, but I know you’re an independent woman of your making. So, I won’t waste more time on that.

There’s another matter I need to inform you about. And it’s the main reason I’m not going after the rogue faction of our coven. Sadly, they’re secondary to the aberration Lilith found a month ago.

I know I should’ve told you sooner, but I had to make sure. There’s a rift forming between the celestial plane and the mortal one. We don’t know if any beings came out of it, but I suggest you keep your magic to the minimum.

Also, wear your brooch. I’ll study this phenomenon more and send information when I get it. Please stay safe, my love.

Sincerely,

Your caring father Cain

A rift… shit… if things couldn’t get worse!

These phenomena happened occasionally throughout the years. But if it caught Dad’s attention, then it had to be a big one. Just another hurdle, I guess. Luckily, when I was with Tania, I didn’t cast any time spells.

When I read the message, I never thought I would find a warning. I had to keep it simple, and this would not be easy. I was hoping to destroy the coven in one go, but it seemed the obstacles kept stacking.

Even though I had the power, I could not use it. Not without ousting me as a divine. And with the rift, it was even less ideal. It seemed this would all have to be done the old fashion way, but would it be enough?

I hid the stone again in my bosom and tried to collect my thoughts. Dad found out the warlock’s name, Jin. But what he planned was completely out of my reach. The silence I needed to think would only last an hour. It ended the moment Thea regained consciousness.

Luna was still fast asleep on me, but that wouldn’t last long.

“Arg… my head… Where am I?” the sleeping wolf finally woke up.

Even though the drugs were wearing off, she was still groggy. Probably saw doubles too. Her eyes struggled to stay open. Though she had enough instinct to understand, something was wrong.

“Kidnapped,” I answered, plainly.

She struggled to gaze at me, slowly sitting against the bars near her.

“Oh, fuck! You’re the girl banging my brother, right?” she asked point-blank.

It caused me to stiffen up. No breaks were heading my way. And she was blunt as a bat. For a moment, my headache was secondary. Instead of entertaining her, I asked for information. After all, I was overly curious about why she had been near me.

“Why were you in the hall?” I asked.

Thea appeared to be a bit out of it, though she quickly repositioned herself.

That eye patch…

From the reports, Loki had blown her eye out of her socket. Though, how it happened, it didn’t go past the family. The only reason we knew was that Loki went to live in Night City after the incident.

All because the vampire chose it, though.

“I heard magic going off. I wanted to investigate but then I got whammed from behind.” Thea sighed, touching her sore neck.

I had not noticed she didn’t wear those enchanted earrings. Lycans used them to not hear incantations go off. It usually left a ring in their ears.

Shit… I was careless.

Though where she rubbed was probably where she had been darted. It seemed it was my fault she was here, too. But that was not something I wanted to admit. Though, I felt guilty.

“I knew Lycans were brainless, but to bring your little sister with you—” I began, she stopped me by raising her hands.

She hadn’t seen the little luma on my lap. Though in her defense, my dress was fluffy.

“What?! No, I left her with Dad!” she defended herself.

She had been loud enough to wake up the little girl. The moment she raised herself from the dress, Thea’s jaw dropped.

“Luna?!?” she yelled, unable to believe the little luma was here.

The girl smiled at her sister.

“I had to find the princess too, TT.” She beamed, wiping her orbs.

Thea couldn’t be more bewildered, though.

“Lu, you see her as a princess?” the wolf asked the little luma.

The girl nodded as I shook my head.

“It’s my dress, I guess,” I mumbled.

My words caused the little Luna to stand up on her feet, pointing towards her sister.

“She’s the most beautiful princess! The one who’ll save us all!” the little luma declared.

I stared at her in disbelief.

What the fuck is Rem feeding her kids?!

Luna was only five, though. Her imagination was in full blossom, yet I didn’t like it. Especially being called a savior. No, I was the opposite.

“I think your mother’s feeding you too many fantasies.” I sighed, unable to keep up with the little luma.

Thea winced in discomfort. Sadly, the sedatives weren’t without side effects. Especially on someone as young as her. She was seventeen. Nine months younger than the twins and me.

“Shit, my head hurts.” She complained, shaking her head a bit.

I shrugged, not carrying much about how she was feeling. Everyone here was suffering from something. Especially headaches. At least she did not receive a blow to the skull. Although it would have healed by now either way.

Even Luna’s scratches were gone. Lycan’s and their speed healing.

“You’ll feel better after the drug wears off,” Gerta spoke, placing the pendant away.

That was when Thea found the new accessory to her neck.

“What the fuck is this?” she spluttered, trying to take it off.

 A futile attempt, though that was something she quickly noticed.

“Something to keep you in check. Seems we might be stuck here for a while.” Gerta informed.

Thea didn’t appear please by that.

“Shit!” she cursed loudly.

At that moment, Luna seemed to be startled by something. Thea quickly caught on as footsteps came towards us. What came next would define me once again.

But will my heart stay strong?

2