chapter 5
310 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“What a long evening we had.” Queen Nadia said as she stretched out her arms.

The wedding day had come and gone and the two of them talked about what had just happened.

They were currently in the queen’s bed chambers and Nadia ushered her pleasures and disdain to a nervous Taji.

Are we really going to do it? I am so nervous right now.

He peaked in her direction but Nadia showed no signs of nervousness

Thats royalty for you. He thought

“That was not a bad start, however, the real work starts tomorrow. What will you be doing tomorrow?”

“Eh?”

“That workshop is complete. You could start your failure- I mean, your business as early as tomorrow.”

“Really?”

“Yes.”

“Then I will.”

“Good luck with that. I will see you around then, goodnight.”

“Eh?”

“Is something the matter?”

“Umm… This is our first night together… Umm.”

“First night together? Ah… We need to talk about that.”

“Eh?”

***

Nadia explained the situation to him. She wanted to avoid getting pregnant for at least 2 years, as she needed to focus on domestic affairs rather than expanding the members of the royal family

2 years!? Well, it's not like I find it unreasonable… I am a virgin after all. Waiting for another two years won’t be… Wait… If I can help expand the royal family's influence and power, then maybe…

“I understand.”

“Good” Nadia replied before ringing a bell.

A servant entered the room and awaited her command.

“Escort my husband to his chambers.”

“Yes, your majesty.”

***

It was the following day and Taji was busy thinking about his workshop. Because he said he would like to recreate the things from his home world, the workshop was built similar to that of a blacksmith.

There were tools for smiting and a furnace as well.

While nothing was lacking in terms of tools. Taji still faced a problem. He lacked the proper funds for the items he had envisioned to make.

It couldn’t be helped. The royal family was strapped for cash right now. Spending money carelessly was out of the question.

If there was one silver lining? It was the fact that he had already figured out a way to raise his funds.

It was during his wedding when he noticed that food in this world was mostly prepared in one of two ways. Either roasted or boiled. The concept of baking or frying was not popular yet.

It was there that he saw his opportunity

“You wish to make a deal with food stall merchants?”

“Yes… Can it be done?”

He was consulting with Teresa during their one on one lessions.

“Hmm… It is not impossible but it is unheard of for royalty to do deal with them.”

“Something tells me that my wife won’t be too bothered by the details.”

He has a point there, however. For that cheapskate, money is money, however...

“Your highness. A food stall’s profits don’t amount to anything. Even if you strike a deal with them. The rewards will be minimal.”

“Are sure about that?”

“What do you mean?”

“If I was to strike a deal limited to only the capital then you would have a point, however, I am seeking to strike a deal throughout the continent.”

Teresa was taken by surprise by what he had said, however.

What exactly is he planning? Surely no deal can be made with food stalls on a continental scale.

“Very well. I will make all the arrangements.”

“Thanks a lot. Also, are there laws that protect your ideas or inventions from theft?”

“I have no idea of what you are talking about.”

“Is that so?”

I guess copyright protection doesn’t exist in this world. Tch

“I wanted a way to prevent the merchants from ripping me off.”

“Oh… you want a binding contract.”

“What’s that?”

“It is a magical contract that binds two parties. Should one party break the contract the penalty stipulated by the other party is enforced,”

“Hmm… Is there no way of breaking the contract?”

“Many have tried but none have succeeded. It is believed that all binding contracts have the blessing of the goddess of truth and cannot be cheated or broken without consequences.”

“I guess that will have to do. Can you make arrangements for that as well?”

“As you wish… I trust I will be paid for my services.”

Eh? Isn’t she paid by the state?

“Umm sure. Just send me the bill for your services later.”

“Very well.”

***

“He is making deals with food stall merchants?”

“Yes”

Teresa was reporting to Nadia about the meeting Taji had yesterday. He had successfully sold his recipes and cooking style to the merchants. He was to receive 25% profit for every burger, and potato chips sold.

“Humph… What a waste of time.” Nadia uttered

“I agree, but it doesn’t seem to be costing us any money, though…”

“Making deals with street stall merchants is beneath royalty… Is that what you want to say?”

“Yes…”

“Well, he is only a prince consort, so I doubt anyone will look down on the royal family any more than they already do. Just leave it.”

“As you wish.”

“I wonder what he will do after this business venture fails.”

“Please don’t jinx it, your majesty. A potential income of mine is depended on it working.”

“Eh… Did you put money into the business?”

“No. I simply charged him 600 silver coins for my services.”

“600 silver coins!”

“Do you have a problem with my price?” Teresa uttered as she glared at Nadia

“Ehh no… As long as I am not paying for it…”

“Don’t worry… I don’t intend to be uncivil with his highness… His debts to me are not as large as those of another person I know.”

Nadia began to sweat when she heard those words, “anyhow, be sure to watch over him. I am sure his failure will have an impact on him”

“As you command.”

***

It was a month after the discussion when Nadia got some shocking news.

“What did you say?”

“The merchants whom Taji made a deal with have sent him, his share of the profits.”

“What was the amount?”

“28250 gold coins.”

“EEEEEEEEHHHHHHHHHH”

 
 
 
 
 
5