chapter 7
283 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Is the meal to your liking?” Nadia asked

“Ah… Yes. It's really good.”

“I am happy to hear that. I ordered the chefs to make the best meal they could for our celebration.”

“Celebration?”

“I heard that your business is growing and that you made a bit of profit.”

“Oh that. Yeah… I was really lucky that my idea worked.”

“No need to be modest. The fact that no one else has managed the same thing speaks volumes to your accomplishment.”

“Thanks… That means a lot coming from you.”

Hmm… This shyness he is emitting. Could Teresa be right? Has he really fallen in love with me? In that case.

“Taji… Truth be told I was hoping you could help me with something.”

“Something?”

“You see, the kingdom's budget has fallen short. I was hoping you could lend some of your profits.”

“Okay?”

“I will of course payback with interest… Wait… did you just agree?”

“Yeah.”

“Ho… Thanks. It means a lot to me.”

“No problem.” He replied with a smile that made Nadia blush a bit.

***

Over the next couple of months, a part of Taji’s wealth would be loaned to Nadia. The interest was a small 4 percent, which was a record low as far as loans went.

Taji himself simply wanted to gift her the money but she had to decline. If word got out that she was taking her husband’s money for free, Branimir would probably start spreading rumors about it.

Before long, almost two years had gone by and in that time, Taji’s inventions and creations were the talk of the continent.

From water wheels, paper, to magic lamps and exotic foods. His inventions were making him a large sum of money and in turn, was giving Nadia a new source of revenue.

Currently, Taji was leading construction efforts in Nadia’s domain, as well as a tunnel through the mountain near the capital.

“Another protest from Count Baldwin,” Nadia said with a smile.

The Nadia tunnel that Taji was overseeing would bypass Count Baldwin’s domain. Allowing the nobles of the south to send their goods to the capital without paying those heavy taxes that Baldwin imposed.

Nadia licked her lips when she read the letter.

“He must be getting desperate.”

“Indeed. He has even gone as far as to lower his taxes.” Margrave Amadeus replied, “However, the distance from the capital and the southern nobles will be short using this route. Not to mention that you are offering its service for free.”

“And why, wouldn’t I? Thanks to my husband’s efforts, the kingdom and the royal family is having a surplus of funds.”

“Does that mean that it is time?”

“Time? Or you mean that. I suppose it is time. He is supposed to arrive back after the tunnel is completed in three days. We will hold a banquet to welcome his return, after which, I will need you to hold off formal functions and useless paperwork for me.”

“Understood. I will handle it. Master Taji will be pleased.”

Over the past year, the staff at the palace had seen the affection Taji had for Nadia.

Often showering her with praises and gifts he had created. He also never looked at any other woman. Some of whom were even bold enough to try and seduce him, only to have Teresa put them in their place.

With her payment having been increased from 20 to 60 gold pieces. She was fully devoted to ensuring nothing rocked the boat she was on. Going as far as to reprimand Nadia for not spending as much time with Taji.

“Don’t mistake his love for weakness.”

“You are such a worrywart. Taji understands that I have to perform my duties.”

“A child understands that their father has to work but that doesn’t mean that they won’t miss them.”

“…? Are you calling Taji a child?”

“You know what I mean. Besides, ever since master Taji started to attract attention for his business and inventions, more and more noble ladies have been thrown in his direction. People no longer care that you are his wife. They are using every old custom they can find to justify him having a concubine.”

“But you are handling that. Right?”

Teresa sighed before answering, “Don’t blame me when your luck of worry comes to bit you.”

Nadia had a smile on her face as she recalled the conversation she had with Teresa.

I guess Teresa will be happier than Taji, once she finds out that I am ready to accept him into my chambers.

Just as she thought that Teresa entered the office.

Speak of the devil.

“You be happy to know that I have deemed it to be the right time to produce an heir. I will be counting on your help with that.”

As someone who had spent the most time with Taji, Teresa's insight on what he might find appealing would go a long way in ensuring a good romantic atmosphere was maintained between them.

“Is something the matter?” Nadia asked after noticing Teresa’s lack of a response.

“Someone is circulating a series of letters throughout the capital.”

“Hmm… Is there any particular reason I should be concerned?”

“They are letters, your majesty once wrote to the prince of the east while attending school.”

“What!” Nadia shouted before she grabbed the letters and read through them. They were indeed letters that she had written to the prince.

The prince in question was the third prince of a strong kingdom in the east.

When she was studying abroad, she hoped that a union between them would help boost her family’s power within the kingdom but it was not meant to be.

 She could not tame the prince who was notorious for flirting with anything in a skirt at the academy… teachers included.

“Who is doing this?”

“I don’t know, but for them to have the letters must mean that the Kingdom in the east is involved.” Teresa concluded

“Hmm… Could it be?” Amadeus mumbled

“What is it?” Nadia asked

“I heard that kingdom is going through a bad financial crisis.”

“What does that have to do with me?”

“Could they be trying to use those letters as an excuse to have you marry their third prince?”

“What? But I am already married.”

“And yet in two years, you have yet to give birth. They might try to use that.”

“I was busy trying to build my kingdom. I didn’t have time to make a child.”

“I doubt they will believe that. Even if they did they will most likely ignore it altogether. What matters is their prince marrying you. Perhaps they hope that our kingdom will provide some financial assistance.”

“That is just crazy. Everyone knows that our kingdom's rise is thanks in large part to my husband’s inventions. Divorcing him and marrying their prince would like trading a cow for a chicken egg. Only a fool would accept that kind of arraignment.”

“Hmm… I doubt the kingdom cares. If anything they might try to blame your lack of a child on him/”

“Eh?”

“They might spread a rumor that he is infertile and press for you to marry the third prince.”

“That is just...” before she could speak, a knight barged into the room. With the exception of Teresa, Amadeus and Taji himself,  such an act could even end with the knight being imprisoned. The only way a the knight could avoid such a fate is if the information she carried was so important that it rendered protocol null and void.

“Your majesty! We have received word that master Taji has collapsed near the Nadia tunnel.”

“What did you say!?”

4